• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XIM in Fortnite is dead for Xbox One

YayNJ

Banned
It's an unfair advantage over using a pad or even a standard keyboard and mouse.

So.. no problem here.

Wonko_C

Maybe they're going to implement native KB&M support? I remember being able to plug my wireless KB&M back in Save The World on PS4, does that not work anymore?

Codes 208

So its kb/m plus aim assist? Yeah, keep that shit out.
Maybe they're going to implement native KB&M support? I remember being able to plug my wireless KB&M back in Save The World on PS4, does that not work anymore?
There are two servers on ps4, using a kb/m basically puts you in a pc crossplay server to keep people from dominating gamepad users

Last edited:

Grimmrobe

And they should make other servers for people who play FPS with dancing mats.

And they should make yet more servers for braindead people.

God forbid anyone chose a good control method for their game.

Yes, heaven forbid that people expect to be on a level playing field when playing a competitive game.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR

This is a terrible post. Keep the keyboard and mouse players far away from game pad gameplay. You obviously weren’t around for the LPB / HPB Quake days. That shit was literally the worst. This is just another version of that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Good. Using XIM is cheating no matter how you spin it.

Both yes and no. I’ve tried it at a friends house, while it was easier for me than a controller, since I’m a long time PC player, it’s really not native steering like on PC. The input is still limited to controller input.

See it as a person being able to use their whole hand for the right stick instead of only the thumb, since the mouse will still be limited to the programmed movement of the sticks.

Kagey K

Banned
Xim users should get matched with PC people all day and I’m glad MS has found a way to detect it.

Hopefully all games follow through with the same rules.

Boss Mog

Fortnite now actually separates players using controllers and those who use a mouse and keyboard. From what I understand though, it seems that XIM actually tricks the console into thinking it's a controller meaning players using it would be paired with controller-based players and have the benefit of aim assist while using a keyboard and mouse which is not the case for native keyboard and mouse users. It seems like a clear cut case of cheating, well done Epic. Hopefully they can do something similar on PS4.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
“Developers have the choice to use APIs that detect and not allow these. It’s up to them, but the capability is there.”
Mike Ybarra.. also says devs are free to detect them then put xim users in a different multiplayer hopper.

This is just the perfect approach!

Shmunter

Positive news. While there is always potential for better equipment providing some advantage as is true in all manner of sports. Some things simply constitute downright cheating when the delta is too wide. Like brining a gun to a knife fight.

And with cross play now in full effect, things need to be kept as clean as possible.

Grimmrobe

Dude why the hysterical reaction?

Because I've wanted to use my mouse with my consoles since the Mega Drive days (it had an official mouse, believe it or not), and the only thing holding this back for freaking DECADES has been stupid console ninnies.

But companies like XIM will keep finding ways around this stupidity, thankfully, and maybe some day the console ninnies will grow up, or the manufacturers will stop giving a shit about them and embrace freedom instead of compulsion.

Last edited:
I dont see why though, anyone can use it as well.
Go to a marathon and demand to ride a bike. If anyone complains just tell them that it's fine, they can ride a bike as well.

And why wouldn't they ride bikes? All that matters in a marathon is getting to the finish line as quickly as possible and a bike will clearly get you there quicker.

"It's not my fault. All my friends like running but I prefer riding, so why can't I race with them?"
"Yeah I could compete in a bike race, but I prefer to go up against runners. It's totally not cheating"

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If they are able to detect and block this peripheral, then why don't they just place them on the PC servers like the PS4 does with KB/M?

Last edited:

Boss Mog

If they are able to detect and block this peripheral, then why don't they just place them on the PC servers like the PS4 does with KB/M?
I believe the XIM tricks the console into thinking it is a controller, so the XIM users got keyboard+mouse+aim assist while playing.

BigLee74

Don't get too excited. Popped on to xim forums to have a good laugh at all the cheaters complaining. Jokes on me, because they already have a patch out that avoids detection again. Sigh. Cheating shits.

Zewp

No one cares about competition in videogames except people with mental disabilities. We just want to use our USB peripherals with the USB-enabled consoles we bought, and a bunch of losers with no life who think that victory in a videogame means something have been preventing us from doing that FOR DECADES.

FFS already you losers get a life and let us play our damn games.

Damn, this has really rustled your jimmies, hasn't it?

Yes, winning isn't everything. But there's nothing wrong with wanting a level playing field. Hence why survival PvP games tend to ban people who use hacks to spawn in massively overpowered weapons that make the playing field uneven.

I'm all for k&m on console. I'd love it for the RPGs I play on console. But those players should not be mixed in with people who use controllers. It's just common sense. No need for hysterics. (or the ensuing IcyCalm link)

Last edited:

Zewp

Blizzard needs to follow suit with Overwatch. No more of this "it's out of our hands" bullshit.

Yeah, Overwatch is a shitshow on PS4. They should honestly just start issuing bans if they detect a Xim. 1 week for a first offence, 1 month for a second and perma after the third.

Zewp

It does set a new precedent, though. Now that Epic has taken a clear stance against it, maybe the next step would be outright bans if it's detected again. If you use it now, you're doing it directly against Epic's wishes.

DonF

GREAT!! Please Epic share how you did it to every other developer, specially blizzard, fuck those players that use xim on overwatch, just go to pc and play on a level field, god damn cheaters.

Shmunter

Because I've wanted to use my mouse with my consoles since the Mega Drive days (it had an official mouse, believe it or not), and the only thing holding this back for freaking DECADES has been stupid console ninnies.

But companies like XIM will keep finding ways around this stupidity, thankfully, and maybe some day the console ninnies will grow up, or the manufacturers will stop giving a shit about them and embrace freedom instead of compulsion.

Playing single player or PVE is not an issue. But when your playing competitive modes, whether for fun or not, not many would find it fun to get unfairly obliterated. You don’t have to look much further than pay to win loot boxes and the poor reception the concept garners. Or basic OP weapons getting neutered to keep things level. Competition by its own nature defines boundaries to make it “competitive”. Winning the Tour de France because you ride a motorbike vs the cyclists is not much of a win at all, and no one would want to see it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Don't get too excited. Popped on to xim forums to have a good laugh at all the cheaters complaining. Jokes on me, because they already have a patch out that avoids detection again. Sigh. Cheating shits.

If they updated specifically to avoid the detection then that is probably a clear cut violation of the ToS of both the console and the game, time to start giving account bans.

Kind of sad how many p2w people in here trying to defend using XIM vs. controller players.

Last edited:

Pallas

GREAT!! Please Epic share how you did it to every other developer, specially blizzard, fuck those players that use xim on overwatch, just go to pc and play on a level field, god damn cheaters.

By reading the article it stated that it’s something the Xbox One can do and has done for a while.

Microsoft has made APIs to detect these adaptors for a while now, Epic Games seem to be finally taking advantage of this. Sony as far as I’m aware doesn’t have any such precautions in hand for the PS4.

xStoyax

Banned
Had nothing to do with Xbox - it was Fortnite who posted an update which made it disconnect even on non-Xim devices. Xim has already created a patch that appears to be working with it again

Three

All consoles have the ability to detect if what is being used is officially licenced or not (that's the case with steering wheels too and why some of them were not officially supported this gen). This however is Epic somehow detecting a device that gets around the check and fools it into thinking it is a controller.
Devs have always had the ability to detect unofficial devices and KB/M.

Lort

Banned
Wonder how long until ms updates code to detect the xim.. i suspect MS knew they would do this and this is just the start or a war that MS will win in the end.

Kagey K

Banned
You said it has nothing to do with Xbox. I proved it does. I didn’t argue that they haven’t found a way around it already. From the article.

Microsoft has made APIs to detect these adaptors for a while now, Epic Games seem to be finally taking advantage of this. Sony as far as I’m aware doesn’t have any such precautions in hand for the PS4.

xStoyax

Banned
You said it has nothing to do with Xbox. I proved it does. I didn’t argue that they haven’t found a way around it already. From the article.

It had NOTHING to do with Xbox. It was from Fortnite & it affected Playstation users also

Top Bottom