• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xmas Nintendo Downloads - December 09 - It's a Christmas miracle; Oregon Trail DSi!

rpmurphy

Oli said:
Keep playing it. This game starts off slow, but becomes so punishingly hard that you'll want to smash your fist into a wall. It's almost an insult that they now ask you to smile after you've been bested and returned to a checkpoint.

It's fun, though. :p
Yeah I just beat the forest world and started on the next. It's no walk in the park for sure.

There is one thing that is really bad though -- once I stop crawling, I can't crawl again unless I stand up. I got stuck twice in a narrow space and I had to quit out of the game. >_<
Edit: Nvm, I was doing it wrong... :lol

Oli said:
Keep playing it. This game starts off slow, but becomes so punishingly hard that you'll want to smash your fist into a wall. It's almost an insult that they now ask you to smile after you've been bested and returned to a checkpoint.
When I first beat Rayman as a kid, I used a 99 lives cheat four or five times :lol

When does Nintendo actually update the japanese DSiWare channel? I mean local japanese time. Wanna download "Kappa michi" :). Thanks in advance!

gogojira

Shouldn't the first episode of Shantae be launching soon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's scheduled for a holiday release the last I checked. Clinging on to my 500 points in hopes it launches for that price (it is episode based, after all).

Oli

Teknoman said:
One big complaint about Rayman DSiware: Why is the music so low compared to the sound effects? You can hear the music of course, but the sounds effects are too loud compared to it.

I thought the same thing. It's no big deal, but I wish they had an option to adjust that.

sfog

gogojira said:
Shouldn't the first episode of Shantae be launching soon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's scheduled for a holiday release the last I checked. Clinging on to my 500 points in hopes it launches for that price (it is episode based, after all).

I think it got delayed to Q1 2010. I'm not positive on that though.

lopaz

Banned
I think I might eventually get a DSi LL just for Rayman, it's one of the best games you could ever hope to play. And on those lovely big screens, eeee

edit: does anyone know if it contains the extra levels from Rayman Gold?

panda21

oh that rubik's puzzle game looks great!

did anyone get pop island? i seem to remember that looking vaguely interesting.

Captain N

I just downloaded the demo for World of Goo. Heard great things about it, but never got around to picking it up.

Capndrake

EU update is just as announced by NoE:

Virtual Console:
-Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (Master System, 500 points, Sega)

WiiWare:
-Pallurikio (1000 points, Playstos)
-Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH (600 points, Two Tribes)
-Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 4 - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood (1000 points, Telltale Games)

DSiWare:
-Hell's Kitchen VS. (800 points, Ludia Inc.)
-PictureBook Games: The Royal Bluff (500 points, Nintendo)

Luigison

VC: Yoshi's Island and SMAS
WiiWare: Cave Story and Mega Man 10
DSi: Link's Awakening DX and Alien Hominid's PDA GAMES

Believe!

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Posted this in the Toki Remake thread but it belongs here too.

Golgoth Studio said:
Toki remixed Approved by Nintendo for Wiiware :)
http://twitter.com/golgothstudio/status/6535262884

Level-1-10-590x331.png

Level-1-5-590x331.png

Yoschi

Luigison said:
VC: Yoshi's Island and SMAS
WiiWare: Cave Story and Mega Man 10
DSi: Link's Awakening DX and Alien Hominid's PDA GAMES

Believe!

You just brought hoping to another level

mclem

Caesar III said:
The toki remake looks great.

I dunno, actually, I think I'd want to see it in motion. The screenshots bother me; I don't feel that the sprites are integrated with the background nicely, and certainly from the view as we've seen it everything does blur into a bit of a mess in busy scenes (the first mid-level boss just looks, well, jumbled)

I managed to find New Play Control Pikmin 2 in Gamestation today for £4.99, so I picked it up.

Just got home and decided to register the code for the Star Points. Just to refresh my memory, when I was done I checked out my previously registered titles and on ALL of my VC and Wii Ware titles was a button to "Claim 50 Stars for this download".

By the time I'm finished (got 39 more to go) I'll have enough stars for more free Nintendo points.

As always, each registry requires you answer a short series of survey questions, but only one screens worth. Thankfully there's been a "What do you like most about this purchase" and "what disappointed you most about this purchase" for each one so far, so I'm gonna be sure and complain about the ones I still can't play because of component cable compatibility.

Just thought I'd give the heads up. I'm in the UK BTW, but don't see why it won't be available for anyone who suffers NoE.

sfog

Judging from the various announcements/PRs out there, we should be seeing Blaster Master, Diatomic, Moki Moki, and Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: Rush for Monday. Not a bad Wii line-up, and that isn't even considering the high probability of SSB or Pilotwings also.

Jazzem

Monkeylord said:
I managed to find New Play Control Pikmin 2 in Gamestation today for £4.99, so I picked it up.

Just got home and decided to register the code for the Star Points. Just to refresh my memory, when I was done I checked out my previously registered titles and on ALL of my VC and Wii Ware titles was a button to "Claim 50 Stars for this download".

By the time I'm finished (got 39 more to go) I'll have enough stars for more free Nintendo points.

As always, each registry requires you answer a short series of survey questions, but only one screens worth. Thankfully there's been a "What do you like most about this purchase" and "what disappointed you most about this purchase" for each one so far, so I'm gonna be sure and complain about the ones I still can't play because of component cable compatibility.

Just thought I'd give the heads up. I'm in the UK BTW, but don't see why it won't be available for anyone who suffers NoE.

Yeah, I've gotten a fair amount of free points through that. Just a word of advice; on the surveys, you don't have to fill in everything. Only the multiple choice questions and the short answer textbox ones (how many users will use this game, age and possibly something else).

By the way, congrats on getting Pikmin 2 for that price! I hope my local Gamestation has it for that as well...

samratty

Monkeylord said:
What!!? No way!
Second-hand?

I'm gonna have to check my local Gamestation now tomorrow if they're letting it go for that cheap.

samratty said:
What!!? No way!
Second-hand?

I'm gonna have to check my local Gamestation now tomorrow if they're letting it go for that cheap.

Nope, brand new.

It was the only one they had though (Chatham) so good luck!!!

I better add it in the Cheap Ass Euro-Gaffer thread.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
VideoMan said:

The original version looks far, far better than the "HD remix" version.

Monkeylord said:

Europe got Pikmin 2 for the Wii? I wasn't aware of that... it was never released in the USA, I thought.

Yoschi

DavidDayton said:
The original version looks far, far better than the "HD remix" version.

I find the original more vibrant with a better color selection. I've got a feeling they should make the backgrounds darker or at least pop out the sprites in a more noticable way.

everything else is just pixel fanboyism :p

edit: i also noticed how the monkey's all happy in the old version and sad in the HD remix version, maybe he's not happy being remixed? :lol

edit2: oh wait, it's just that screenshot.. still i can't unsee it now..

question to some EU/UK Dsiware gamers.
can anyone go to the dsiware shop and look if you can find "Foto Face"(you know the platformer from EA with camera function; released on 4th in EU)?

I can't find it. It seems to be ....like....gone?
wtf? do they delete games of the dsiware shop?
why?

Yoschi

iamaustrian said:
question to some EU/UK Dsiware gamers.
can anyone go to the dsiware shop and look if you can find "Foto Face"(you know the platformer from EA with camera function; released on 4th in EU)?

I can't find it. It seems to be ....like....gone?
wtf? do they delete games of the dsiware shop?
why?
just checked it now, it's there, on the first screen even. a big smiley face game.

I'm sure some of you are aware of it, but a certain banned blog says Nintendo Power lists Cave Story in consideration for best WiiWare game of '09.

Yoschi said:
just checked it now, it's there, on the first screen even. a big smiley face game.

are you in the U.K.?
cause I just triple checked and it's not up here on german(austrian?) dsiware shop.
any germans or austrians can check?
i think i'm going nuts

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Yoschi said:
I find the original more vibrant with a better color selection. I've got a feeling they should make the backgrounds darker or at least pop out the sprites in a more noticable way.

everything else is just pixel fanboyism :p

It's not the pixels, it's that the arcade version doesn't resemble a jumbled mess of doodles across the screen. The remake needs a greater distinction between background and foreground elements -- the background elements are far too busy.

The game also looks too "flat" -- it might be much better in motion, though.

So I'm going to download either Driift or New Excitebike on wiiware. They look about equal in "fun" to me. It's all about fun.

Any suggestion on which one is slightly better?

perfectchaos007 said:
So I'm going to download either Driift or New Excitebike on wiiware. They look about equal in "fun" to me. It's all about fun.

Any suggestion on which one is slightly better?

I only have Driift. It's really good. If you have some buddies multiplayer will be bomb.

sfog

ESRB update:

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '95

Platform: Wii

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Alcohol Reference, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violence

Rating summary:
This is a 2D arcade-style fighting game in which players compete in one-on-one combat with a large international cast of selectable characters. Players engage in hand-to-hand battles by mostly kicking, punching, and blocking their way to victory until the opposing player's life meter runs out. Players can also trigger special moves to cause larger amounts of damage to their opponents. Some female fighters wear outfits that reveal deep cleavage and portions of their buttocks.

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Fantasy Violence

Rating summary:
The year is 1997 and humanoid lizard monsters have invaded New York City. Players must free hostages taken by these creatures and save the city in this arcade-style action game. Players control a small ninja who traverses through platform environments and uses a sword, energy blasts, and shurikens (i.e., ninja stars) to defeat enemies. Some enemies may look human (ninjas, samurais), but they are really just humanoid lizard monsters—and they burst into green flames when defeated. A few enemies use futuristic (that is, retro) handguns to stop the ninja, resulting in a red "starburst" effect and a life lost. Throughout the game, players will have the company of a loyal canine sidekick that can be sent to bite and immobilize enemies.

I'm not sure of whether it's the Genesis, arcade, or SMS version though.

farnham

Banned
sfog said:
ESRB update:

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '95

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Alcohol Reference, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violence

Rating summary:
This is a 2D arcade-style fighting game in which players compete in one-on-one combat with a large international cast of selectable characters. Players engage in hand-to-hand battles by mostly kicking, punching, and blocking their way to victory until the opposing player's life meter runs out. Players can also trigger special moves to cause larger amounts of damage to their opponents. Some female fighters wear outfits that reveal deep cleavage and portions of their buttocks.

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Fantasy Violence

Rating summary:
The year is 1997 and humanoid lizard monsters have invaded New York City. Players must free hostages taken by these creatures and save the city in this arcade-style action game. Players control a small ninja who traverses through platform environments and uses a sword, energy blasts, and shurikens (i.e., ninja stars) to defeat enemies. Some enemies may look human (ninjas, samurais), but they are really just humanoid lizard monsters—and they burst into green flames when defeated. A few enemies use futuristic (that is, retro) handguns to stop the ninja, resulting in a red "starburst" effect and a life lost. Throughout the game, players will have the company of a loyal canine sidekick that can be sent to bite and immobilize enemies.

I'm not sure of whether it's the Genesis, arcade, or SMS version though.

KOF 95 is a good one

i played a bunch of 94 but felt the lack of iori yagami

also isnt 95 the only KOF with eiji kisaragi in it... ?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: 11 NEW DOWNLOADS BLAST THEIR WAY TO NINTENDO SYSTEMS

Dec. 14, 2009

The first of this week's new Virtual Console™ releases gives new meaning to the term "underground legend," sending players down a mysterious manhole for a classic subterranean adventure. Another fine addition to the Virtual Console section of the Wii Shop Channel features the iconic hero Earthworm Jim in a fun-packed sequel from the SEGA Genesis era. For the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, a slate of five new games includes everything from the pets of LITTLEST PET SHOP™ to animated puzzles, cooking and magic tricks. For fans of the WiiWare™ service, fast-paced stunt driving and Moki-herding mayhem are among the latest arrivals. Whether you're downloading for yourself or seeking cool, convenient gifts for everyone on your holiday list, look no further than the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop for instant gratification.

Virtual Console

Blaster Master™
Original platform: NES™
Publisher: Sunsoft
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points™
Description: The New York sewers were never like this. You've fallen down a hidden manhole into a world of creatures so terrifying they'd scare the rats away. You can panic and perish, or blast your way through an endless maze of tunnels in search of secret passages to your escape. Masters of the Caverns lay waiting - prehistoric creatures so powerful and gigantic they literally fill your screen. Load your arsenal and get ready for Blaster Master.

Earthworm Jim 2™
Original platform: SEGA Genesis
Publisher: Interplay
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Superhero annelid Jim and his new sidekick, Snott, are back for an off-the-wall sequel in Earthworm Jim 2. Containing more action than your standard platformer from the Genesis era, each stage has a different style and mission, drawing on game play from different genres, including mazes, trivia contests and arcade-style levels. The game also features music composed by Tommy Tallarico. Do you have what it takes to rescue the Princess?

Nintendo DSiWare

LITTLEST PET SHOP
Publisher: Electronic Arts
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Experience your favorite LITTLEST PET SHOP pets in a whole new way on your Nintendo DSi system. Play catch with your pets and their favorite toys, dress them up in adorable new accessories and keep them happy by brushing and feeding them. You can even throw a little dance party for your pets and help them rock out to cool songs.

Miami Nights
Publisher: Gameloft
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Comic Mischief, Mild Suggestive Themes, Tobacco Reference, Use of Alcohol
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: You won't find a more complete life simulation than Miami Nights: Life in the Spotlight. Begin by designing your avatar with an unbelievable level of customizable physical detail. But it's not your physique that counts. Instead, your life choices and your everyday behavior will influence more than 40 attributes that will make you a unique, progressive individual. The city of Miami is presented to you with no fewer than 30 places to explore. Plus, you'll be able to customize your entire home and interact with your environment in many ways. The most important part of the game play lies in how you interact with other characters. They will be the ones who'll help you achieve your goals. You'll be able to establish and break off different types of relationships with them. It's up to you to act like a bad guy or sweet girl, make friends or enemies, and choose the best way - honest or otherwise - to make your dreams become a reality.

Bejeweled Twist™
Publisher: PopCap Games
Players: 1-2
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Spin, match, explode - it's a brilliant new way to play. Spin and match explosive gems for shockwaves of fun in this quick-play version of the award-winning PopCap game. Rotate jewels to set up electrifying combos, outwit obstacles like Locks and Bombs, and create high-voltage Flame and Lightning gems. Play the intensely fun Classic mode or take on a friend in the exclusive Nintendo DS Battle mode. No matter how you play, you'll find endless ways to win.

Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam
Publisher: Virtual Toys
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Have you ever asked yourself what it would feel like to be among the stoves of the best restaurants in the world? Do you want to become the best chef there is, preparing scrumptious dishes? Jump right in and enter the world of Yummy Yummy and its mixture of flavors and aromas. In Yummy Yummy, you'll have to satisfy the hunger of the most diverse, colorful set of diners: vampires, extraterrestrials, mafia thugs, Vikings and more. Prepare hot dogs, hamburgers, pizzas and Mexican burritos as quickly as you can before your customers get tired of waiting and decide to leave the restaurant without giving you a good tip. Roll up your sleeves, don your chef's hat and have a great time.

Master of Illusion™ Express: Matchmaker
Publisher: Nintendo
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Master of Illusion Express titles feature mind-boggling magic tricks that you can perform with your Nintendo DSi system. Learn the illusions, practice up and amaze your friends. Master of Illusion Express: Matchmaker includes two tricks that use your Nintendo DSi system to reveal information about others. Use the Photo Diagnosis trick and stun others by taking two simple photos to pinpoint their exact age. Or have the Matchmaker trick show that another person has favorite dates or favorite foods that are similar to yours. Who knows? You could even land a date or make a new friend.

WiiWare

Stunt Cars™
Publisher: Icon Games Entertainment
Players: 1-4
Description: Stunt Cars takes place on elevated racetracks with very little to stop players from accidentally driving off the side. Turbo can be used to make a car go faster, but it can only be used for a limited amount of time in each race. As you progress through the game's four championship cups, you'll unlock special features such as driver achievement awards.

Diatomic
Publisher: Grendel Games
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Description: Diatomic is a fast retro-arcade action game that takes place inside a set of petri dishes. The safe confines of your petri dish are about to be invaded by nine different diatomic creatures that seek to destroy you. Armed with your shield, tail, strategic intelligence and good reflexes, you stand a good chance of defeating the overwhelming odds. You must stay alive during 65 hectic stages spread over five chapters. The high score list shows what kind of player you are. Playing defensively and gaining an all-out defensive high score is harder to pull off than gaining an all-out offensive high score.

Moki Moki™
Publisher: Natsume Inc.
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Description: It's a mind-bending, gravity-defying puzzler. The Moki are being devoured by the voracious Gromblins, and it's up to you to guide the hapless little guys to safety. Bend, twist and rotate the environment to herd the Moki through a series of brain-teasing puzzles. Along the way, you'll have to contend with deadly pitfalls, spinning blades and shifting gravity. Roll Moki down ramps, grab them with hooks and blast them with jets to guide them safely to the portals. Challenge your skills in 100 unique levels.

Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH
Publisher: Two Tribes
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH is a 3-D puzzle game with more than 70 challenging levels. Players need to guide Cubes to color-coded exit points. Using the Wii Remote™ controller's intuitive controls, players herd the colored cubes along by using Conveyer Belts, Warps, Stop Signs, Directional Signs and Splits. RUSH also includes the original Rubik's Cube as a bonus. Players can attempt to solve one of the four different-sized Cubes alone, compete against a second player or learn how to solve the classic Rubik's Cube.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Top Bottom