• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XNA Game Studio Express out tomorrow. I am excited and you are too.

FightyF

Banned
Unfortunately I am just spread thin on my involvement in creative projects so I'll have to wait a bit before I can start coding, but I'm still extremely excited!

People complaining about there not being enough 2D games out there can now make their own 2D games. I'd love to see an HD res shmup, or platformer.

I thought that if I did any 2D project, it would be all digitized images. The main character would be a real person all dressed up and captured on high res film, from there make all the animations. BGs can simply be photographed and such. I think that would be purdy neat.

Anyone else excited?

Relevant link: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=882&SiteID=1

Acosta

It´s unfortunate the system is not hot in Japan, I would like what the Doujin community could do with it.

Yes, I´m really excited, I doubt I will get it as my programming skills are almost zero, but I will keep an eye on what people is able to do.

FightyF

Banned
The XNA Game Studio Express beta will be available Aug. 30, 2006, as a free download on Windows XP, for development on the Windows XP platform. XNA Game Studio Express will give anyone with a Windows XP-based PC access to a unified development tool that liberates the creation of great Xbox 360 and Windows XP-compatible games, providing a new alternative to the existing multithousand-dollar development kits that many console games require. The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available this holiday season.

Ghost: It's the beta out tomorrow. Full version in the Winter, so you were partially right.

One thing I'd really love to make if I ever had the time is a dedicated mp3 player software that allows you to mix in real time, scratch, easily set up playlists, add effects, and such.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gaijin To Ronin said:
It´s unfortunate the system is not hot in Japan, I would like what the Doujin community could do with it.
I bet tons of slimy ecchi videogames featuring Hitomi, Kasumi and Ayane.

cool

bluemax

Banned
I'm pretty sure we're going to be using this in my video game programming class. If I end up with anything cool I'll be sure to show GAF.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i have a game idea kicking around - but i'm still caught in the "should i try to make money on it?" phase

awesome 2d platformer ftw

jgkspsx

I'm in on the demo. Will enough participating gaffers even be able to agree on a genre?

FWIW I think a simple GAF RPG is the best way to start.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
yep. im in. been reading about this for a long time and C# is my language of choice coupled with about a year of managed directx experience. exciting times ahead.

Zonar

I would love to help. check my website. all I can do is 2D right now but I'm taking 3D classes. someone take the lead and round all of us up.

LakeEarth

jgkspsx said:
... just like everyone in this thread, eh?

It's not our fault you're lazy :)
I might be wrong here but a lot of the guys in this thread's job has to do with computers and have experience with C++. I have none, my stupid highschool used Turing as their computer language of choice. Extremely simple language, though I was able to make a working PacMan, Moon Patrol and Metroid with it. I'd be so in over my head I'd be having vertigo.

Zonar

As long as we get a work outline before we start (IE we get at least a little orginized) I will do what ever it takes. Just let me play coach!
bench.jpg

Ecrofirt

Haha, where were all of you 2D guys when I had multiple threads out there begging for 2D artists for my Xbox game?

In any event, I'm super psyched. I've got no idea how they're implementing 2D with XNA though, so I've got to look into that.

it's funny because for a few years now I've wanted to make a 2D zombie game where you had to basically fight through a building to get to a helicoptor. I came up with the idea with a friend a long time back, and then they announced Dead Rising.

Anyone have info on how they plan to do 2D stuff with XNA?

mrwilt

Ecrofirt said:
Haha, where were all of you 2D guys when I had multiple threads out there begging for 2D artists for my Xbox game?

In any event, I'm super psyched. I've got no idea how they're implementing 2D with XNA though, so I've got to look into that.

it's funny because for a few years now I've wanted to make a 2D zombie game where you had to basically fight through a building to get to a helicoptor. I came up with the idea with a friend a long time back, and then they announced Dead Rising.

Anyone have info on how they plan to do 2D stuff with XNA?

Garagegames is porting their game engine to XNA called TorqueX.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/x/

I'm all for doing a 2D game on XNA.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
LakeEarth said:
I might be wrong here but a lot of the guys in this thread's job has to do with computers and have experience with C++. I have none, my stupid highschool used Turing as their computer language of choice. Extremely simple language, though I was able to make a working PacMan, Moon Patrol and Metroid with it. I'd be so in over my head I'd be having vertigo.

You don't have to be a programmer to make games you know :p There will also be a need for designers, modellers, texture artists, animators, musicians, etc
If you have a great idea you can try managing a project consisting of a handful of dedicated people.

Vark

I've been toying around with TGB for a while now so It's a lot easier to just focus on that and wait for the XNA stuff later

bluemax

Banned
mrwilt said:
Garagegames is porting their game engine to XNA called TorqueX.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/x/

I'm all for doing a 2D game on XNA.

Interesting. The project on campus I joined up with is giving us Torque licenses this week, I wonder if these will be included. I know they wanted to make the game viable on 360 by the end of the school year...

Anyone up for working on a 3d space rail shooter? I've been thinking that'd be a simple entry level 3d project to work on, but I could be wrong...

Tain

I'm pretty pumped to mess around with this.
People complaining about there not being enough 2D games out there can now make their own 2D games. I'd love to see an HD res shmup, or platformer.

If people are complaining, then they should already be doing this. =/

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
DCharlie said:
i'm all over this like a rash on a 50 year old mans balls in downtown Saigon.
that's the kind of attitude i like. does gaf need to assemble a team of badasses to create the ultimate game?

i can host the cvs server!

Zonar

Ok so far we have 7 people that want to make a game

So who can/want’s to do what. I only added the people who wanted to do 2D for now.

Zaptruder said:
So which gaffers wanna make a game? :p

DopeyFish said:
i have a game idea kicking around - but i'm still caught in the "should i try to make money on it?" phase

awesome 2d platformer ftw

jgkspsx said:
I'm in on the demo. Will enough participating gaffers even be able to agree on a genre?

FWIW I think a simple GAF RPG is the best way to start.

Teknopathetic said:
I'm interested, but I have very few C# skills. I'm a half-assed musician/writer, though!

Ecrofirt said:

Tain said:
I'm pretty pumped to mess around with this.

=/

sefskillz said:
that's the kind of attitude i like. does gaf need to assemble a team of badasses to create the ultimate game?

i can host the cvs server!

Off the top of my head we need

Programer
Designer
Director
Background artist = Zonar can help here
Character artist = Zonar can help here
And the rest of gaf for testers

That’s all I can think of and I don’t know how many of each we will need but the more the merrier

Can anyone add who/what else is needed to create a 2D game
Please add your name if you would like to join.
later on we can pick a genre and then plot/play machanics

Zonar

BTW I have no idea how to do any of this but I am so excited and we have to start somewhere. I'll throw my self into the fire first.

Vark

I'm fairly busy but if we get a group together I'd be down for very occasionally helping out with Design / Art / Scripting, etc. Or at least pointing people in the right direction that want it.

Zonar

Vark said:
I'm fairly busy but if we get a group together I'd be down for very occasionally helping out with Design / Art / Scripting, etc. Or at least pointing people in the right direction that want it.

super cool Vark

2D OBLIVION confirmed!

(just kidding)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i can code like a mainframer in C++/C#... i showed some of my code to some of the coders here and the burst out laughing.

Still - i managed to get a basic lumines game and a pretty decent robotron clone up for HAM on GBA.

Anyways, i might chip in - but i have an idea of my own and a few people i want to involve, i also have minor skills in music creation.

Yellowace / Sho Nuff - lets do it!

I think its cool that they are doing it, but really from a programming standpoint, there's nothing stopping anyone from writing small games on the PC and distributing them over the internet and reaching a wide audience.

There is something special about running your own code on a console, i dabbled in it on the PSP and it is exilherating. But seriously, the PC is there for anyone with tons of free libraries, compilers, and other tools.

I guess i don't quite see the appeal here.

terrene

Banned
Zonar said:
Ok so far we have 7 people that want to make a game

So who can/want’s to do what. I only added the people who wanted to do 2D for now.

Programer
Designer
Director

That’s all I can think of and I don’t know how many of each we will need but the more the merrier

I have a game design doc for a puzzle game that would be a great starter for us all. I've been meaning to put together a demo for it, but I was going to do it myself w/XNA. But hell, it's ready to go if we wanna start messing around.

Also, I volunteer to do the music. And I'm muthafukin' qualified. http://www.terrene.net

Zonar

terrene said:
I have a game design doc for a puzzle game that would be a great starter for us all. I've been meaning to put together a demo for it, but I was going to do it myself w/XNA. But hell, it's ready to go if we wanna start messing around.

Also, I volunteer to do the music. And I'm muthafukin' qualified. http://www.terrene.net

Cool. I'll update

Zonar said:
Ok so far we have 8 people that want to make a game

Programer
Designer
Director
Music = terrene

Vark

sugarhigh4242 said:
I think its cool that they are doing it, but really from a programming standpoint, there's nothing stopping anyone from writing small games on the PC and distributing them over the internet and reaching a wide audience.

There is something special about running your own code on a console, i dabbled in it on the PSP and it is exilherating. But seriously, the PC is there for anyone with tons of free libraries, compilers, and other tools.

It's the barrier to entry. This significantly lowers it. Coding in something like C# is also a hell of a lot easier than teaching yourself C++. Ideally within the community you'd start to see 'starter kits' as well as other bits and bobs of programs that other people can use and share amongst each other.

While there are communities like that already, having the backing of the largest software company on the planet doesn't really hurt :p Everyone will also be on the same page, using the same software instead of splintering off into little niche groups as it is now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
There is something special about running your own code on a console.

*boggle*

Top Bottom