• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Play: Price Revealed

Rlan

blitz64 said:
I'm interested in Tetris for this and there's an image from engadget

5457214596_058a6e5691_z.jpg

Does anyone know what version this is? Is this the ipod EA version? or the android version if there is one.

Based on the Tested.com video look it's just the Android version of the game -- it's vertical orientated and just touch based, so just the Android version.

JWong said:
It runs on Gingerbread Android 2.3, which is the latest.

Sony ditched a UI element that was hindering being able to update, so they should be good to update to any future version unlike the Xperia X10.

great! I guess!

what about the "analog sticks"? Do we know already how good they perform?

Jay Sosa

Don't some of you know that 500€ are normal for a phone? Go to amazon, look up the prices for a medium range smartphone and be amazed. This means in no way thte the NGP will be anywhere as "pricey".

Corto

My Samsung Galaxy already had a "strange" accident last week, and I'm running on my Nokia old backup cell phone until this puppy comes home. I'm hoping my carrier will have this with some good contract attached to it.

jorma

is now taking requests
I'd be tempted if i had not just bought a €450 HTC Desire last year.. can't really justify a purchase as it stands. The white phone looks hot though.

demigod

Been waiting for this phone but now I'm having second thoughts.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-review/#disqus_thread

I do agree with this review. No way am I going to buy this phone over an iphone 4 when this is just coming out with crappier specs. Lower RAM, single core, 480p video recording(wtf, can this be updated?), crappy screen, not scratch resistant. I might get it if its around the $500 mark, not worth getting if its over $600.

JWong

Banned
Preordered my Xperia Play from Rogers.ca

$99 with a three year plan.

April 15th, they will confirm preorder eligibility or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JWong said:
Preordered my Xperia Play from Rogers.ca

$99 with a three year plan.

April 15th, they will confirm preorder eligibility or something.

Is that official pricing? Any credits?

I was suspecting $99-$150 after contract but I've been waiting for an official announcement from Verizon.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ZealousD said:
Is that official pricing? Any credits?

I was suspecting $99-$150 after contract but I've been waiting for an official announcement from Verizon.

That's the Roger's (Canada) price -- Verizon may be a little different

ZealousD

I've decide to draft up a little OT since the phone is technically out and we'll be seeing it more widely available within the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get some input from you guys before I go and post it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23698240&postcount=6

It's a little hard for me to find specifics in relation to carriers, pricing, etc, so let me know if I've missed anything.

Uhh, 599 euros here in Finland. Thats 828$ for a phone.

I would jump on it but i have doubts that any existing Android game supports those controls.

Tacitus_

Noisepurge said:
Uhh, 599 euros here in Finland. Thats 828$ for a phone.

I would jump on it but i have doubts that any existing Android game supports those controls.

Hah, thought it would be hilariously priced up here.

darkwing

ZealousD said:
I've decide to draft up a little OT since the phone is technically out and we'll be seeing it more widely available within the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get some input from you guys before I go and post it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23698240&postcount=6

It's a little hard for me to find specifics in relation to carriers, pricing, etc, so let me know if I've missed anything.
go for it, first Playstation Certified phone

ZealousD

Noisepurge said:

To my knowledge, any game that supports keypad controls can have the gamepad controls mapped to those keys. There are already videos out there of people using the gamepad for existing Android emulators.

Further, Sony released a list of about 60 games that have already been specifically programmed to be compatible with the Xperia Play. I also can't imagine that it is all that difficult for companies to optimize for the Play in the future.

herod

Sounds like it is already behind the power curve. I know what it's like to get locked into an 18 month contract with old tech (have to wait until September before I can rid myself of this iPhone 3G). I'd be super wary about locking myself in to a system with no library.

I'd definitely agree with the review consensus of waiting for version 2.0.

ZealousD said:
To my knowledge, any game that supports keypad controls can have the gamepad controls mapped to those keys. There are already videos out there of people using the gamepad for existing Android emulators.

yeah gamepad is more of a standard, im just worried about the analogue nubs and facebuttons. not many games allow for binding of controls.

hurricanepilot

Neo Member
ZealousD said:

Further, Sony released a list of about 60 games that have already been specifically programmed to be compatible with the Xperia Play. I also can't imagine that it is all that difficult for companies to optimize for the Play in the future.

With the exception of the trackpads, which require native coding to take advantage of, you are correct. Each button on the gamepad corresponds to a keycode, so any game that allows you to map keys by pressing them will work - pretty much every emulator I've tried does this.

reminder

My Xperia Play arrived today. I didn't have much time to play around with it since i had to get ready for work, but i already love it. It's smaller than i thought, too.

It's my first smartphone, so i don't have any comparisons to other devices, though.

Top Bottom