• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Play: Price Revealed

lefantome

First 10 is a contest made by Sony Ericsson to promote the new Xperia Play in some European Countries.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/firstten

The prizes are 10 Xperia Play. In the rules section of the website we can read

Premi in palio
PREMIO: Xperia™ PLAY; Quantità: 10; Valore unitario Iva esclusa: 499,00 €; Totale Iva Esclusa: 4.990,00 €. IL MONTEPREMI complessivo ammonterà quindi a 4.900,00 € (iva esclusa). I valori dei premi sono da intendersi al valore del listino di vendita al pubblico alla data di stesura del presente regolamento.

Which Means in english:

Prizes
Prize: Xperia PLAY; amount 10; one item value (without italian tax IVA) 499,00 €; total amount: 4999,00 €. bla bla bla... The prizes values are the public resellers prices of the item at the time when this document was written

I can't find these values in other languages websites, maybe it's because the italian law for contest needs that the prizes values are shown to the public.

So the price should be at least 499€ in Italy (WITHOUT CONTRACT)

EDIT: user Takao found that the estimated value for the us market is 400$

EDIT2: user Tamp remembers me that: "retail prices in Italy are never reported without IVA (20%). that makes it 599€."

does exist similar taxes in US? there is a big difference from 599€ and 400$

Sorry for my bad english

Takao

Banned
The English contest is "First2Play" and values the phone at $400.

The contest is rigged, on the first day of entry people were already at 16k+, despite the fact the contest only allows you to reach 1000 a day.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just so we're clear, this is the price without a 2-year agreement or upgrade credits, right?

Good phones are always super expensive if on PAYG, would expect the price to be 99 euro along with a long contract if you went monthly.

lefantome

Takao said:
The English contest is "First2Play" and values the phone at $400.

The contest is rigged, on the first day of entry people were already at 16k+, despite the fact the contest only allows you to reach 1000 a day.

can you link me that contest? i can't find it, i want to see if there is an uk version of it.

499€ for the phone without subscriptions.

for example here an iphone 4g 16gb costs 659€ from apple store and around 299 with subscriptions

graywolf323

Gold Member
I wouldn't read too much into an estimated value posted for a contest

it'll probably be like most smart phones where that's how much it costs without a contract

StuBurns

Banned
The price of a smart phone that probably makes 200% profit on every unit from a different subsidiary of Sony has nothing to do with the price of PSP2 which will be sold at near cost.

Takao

Banned
If you guys really think NGP will be more than this phone, ya'll be in for a big surprise.

Anyways; here's the English contest stuff:

WINNER DETERMINATION/PRIZES: A prize will be awarded to each of the 10 entrants with the highest point total at the end of the Promotion Period. Each prize will consist of a Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY Phone. In case of a tie, the tie will be broken among the tied Entrants by the Entrant who attained the score first as determined by the Contest Administrator's time clock.

The Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of the Prize is $400.00 US/$397.36 CDN. ARV is as of date of printing of these Official Rules. The difference in value of prize as stated herein and value at time of prize notification, if any, will not be awarded. The prize does not include wireless service. The prize is not transferable or refundable and must be accepted as awarded. The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY phone, and/or certain features of the phone, may only operate on certain carrier networks, which may or may not be compatible with winner's existing network, if any. Requests for a phone compatible with a Winner's existing network cannot be accommodated. Winner should check with his/her service provider to determine network service availability, plan details, handset feature support, and any applicable charges and requirements for services and features. Limit one prize per person/household.

Which can be found here.

ZealousD

$400 for the US price actually bodes really, really well.

With Verizon phones, many of their smartphones retail in the $500-$600 price range. After a 2-year agreement, that gets knocked down to $150-$200.

That means that if the Xperia Play retails for only $400, you might be looking in the neighborhood of $99 with a 2-year agreement.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Spiegel said:
ITT people realize that non-contract smartphones are overpriced.
Well, since the device is supposedly a gaming device, the price is sided & compared against estimated gaming handheld pricing.

entremet

This is a surprise? Welcome to smartphones prices w/o a contract.

Unlike game systems, manufacturers usually expect to make a profit on each unit sold. This is not comparable to the gaming space, where platform holders not named Nintendo usually take a hit on hardware on the basis that software sales will provide profitability.

The X-peria Play is DOA anyway.

Massa

Vic said:
Well, since the device is supposedly a gaming device, the price is sided & compared against estimated gaming handheld pricing.

This is a high end Android smart phone where the games can be played with buttons. It's not a gaming platform.

lefantome

Spiegel said:
ITT people realize that non-contract smartphones are overpriced.

here it's not true for all the cases. but iphone 4g is extremely overpriced here.

Not all the phones comes with good subscription offers . I think because italians switch phones very fast.

I'm waiting for the uk price.

I know that buying it with a subscription is very cheaper, but i found this price and I post it here, maybe someone is interested.

Takao

Banned
Here's the page for the UK contest. Doesn't appear to be running yet (or it's IP blocking).

Here's the official SE website for the phone. It takes some jabs at the tech press for the "PlayStation Phone" moniker.

Apparently it will come with 5 free games alongside Crash Bandicoot:

FIFA 10

Trying to play FIFA on a touch screen has always been a challenge. Now thanks to what is basically a Sony PlayStation controller under your phone shooting, passing and scoring goals is a lot easier. We can really see this and similar games becoming a massive success.

Bruce Lee: Dragon Warrior

It’s your classic fighting game that sees you play as Bruce Lee taking on 10 other fighters in “Tournament fights” to prove you really are the best in the world. There are Arcade, Survival, Time Attack and Training modes as well that let you dip in and out of the game play depending on how much time you have. Of course having the buttons makes a huge difference when it comes to pulling off those super combo attack moves.

Star Battalion

Fantastic graphics take top billing here as you command a spaceship around distant planets blasting anything you see in the sky that you don’t really like. There is a storyline of course, but that’s not the point. Do the buttons help? Of course they do, letting you pilot and blast your way out of trouble with ease.

Asphalt 6

Load up the game, press down on the X button and away you go. No fingers getting in the way, no having to wave your phone around like it’s a steering wheel making you look like an idiot on the train, just lazy gaming as you accelerate at 80mph around a city course.

The Sims 3

One for those with a god complex or maybe just a love of playing with dolls houses. The extra keys don’t make masses of difference but do make it easier in the long run letting you quickly get around your house.

Source

infinityBCRT said:
Phones are overpriced. I've read that it only costs Apple like $180 to manufacture an iPhone.
More then likely, their ipod touch lineup is 80% the same as an iphone and those sell at a much lower price, still within a profit for apple last time I heard.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Massa said:
This is a high end Android smart phone where the games can be played with buttons. It's not a gaming platform.
I've badly expressed myself. Of course it's not a gaming platform like the DS or PSP.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Raist said:
Total amount. There's 10 of them to win. So 499€ per phone.

NGP $/€500 confirmed.
mc9dlu.gif

Jimrpg

xperia play sounds awfully similar to N-Gage...

i spent $800 on an Nokia N81 it had the buttons placed in the right place (above the screen in candy bar form so when you turned it horizontally it was like a little gameboy micro) so i thought there would be stacks of games but nope... it was barren. and the games had serious input lag.

for sony's sake - i hope games play exactly as they do on the PSP.

StuBurns said:
The price of a smart phone that probably makes 200% profit on every unit from a different subsidiary of Sony has nothing to do with the price of PSP2 which will be sold at near cost.

Thank you. Did everyone take crazy pills in here? This is what smartphones cost out of contract. At least.

Reallink

pharmboy044 said:
What do you people expect a non-contract phone to cost? $100? ...lol

That raises an interesting point. I can't imagine the actual cost break down on these "higher end" phones is anything more than $150-$250 (quadruply so for those that manufacture every single component in their hardware--i.e. Samsung). How exactly are they still getting away with charging these kinds of mark ups? There has to be something in place that's keeping some start up company from swooping in, building a frankenstein out of parts, and selling it at 1/2 or 1/3 the price with 90% of the performance.

ZealousD

arbok26 said:

The only way in which the Xperia Play is like an N-Gage is that it's marketed as a gaming phone. Everything else is different.

lefantome

arbok26 said:

i spent $800 on an Nokia N81 it had the buttons placed in the right place (above the screen in candy bar form so when you turned it horizontally it was like a little gameboy micro) so i thought there would be stacks of games but nope... it was barren. and the games had serious input lag.

for sony's sake - i hope games play exactly as they do on the PSP.

what? 800$? in europe the n81 was 399€ since launch.

I bough it after a year (8gb version) for 199€.

Decent phone but it has some problems.

Axiom

Well phones not in contract are generally pretty amazingly expensive.

I was so interested in this until I learned you couldn't bring over your current PSN stuff to it. I'd actually play the damn mini's on the thing!

Mithos

And this is why I have a phone from when man invented the wheel. Prices are CRAZY HIGH on new phones!

Top Bottom