• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED announces Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin for PS4 and PC

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/869981252752875520

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin merges side-scrolling action w/ rice cultivation against a Japanese mythology backdrop. For PS4 & Windows PC.

DBLFLM2UAAE8Ykj

DBLLE3sU0AAJTmG

DBLLJmUVwAA5AgC

DBLLRp_UQAAqR3b

Having done some digging, it seems to be from the same devs as Astebreed.

Edit: Trailer here (Ta, Crimsonfist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8NLc-5qde8

What a weird combo. The side-scrolling fighting looks pretty cool, but the rice cultivation minigames look like they could get repetitive really quickly and I have no idea how that'll tie into the story or the fighting bits at all.

It's pretty, though, and it could be just the right kind of quirky for me.

Kudo

Raved about this in the Comiket thread, nice to see it getting localization and even PS4 port.

Nabs

This was one of my standouts from C91. I'm glad something from there will finally get a wide release.

Tizoc

Hah if this is one of the mystery apps their steamdb page listed, then i am glad this is getting mote exposure

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks like it has potential.....doubt ill ever play it - but i hope it turns out good.

WELCOME TO THE RICE FIELDS, MOTHERFUCKER

This really seems like the kind of game Playism would snap up, but it's fitting for XSEED and looks like a fun time. I hope there's more to rice cultivation than a simple rhythm exercise, or maybe the combat/platforming's going to be way more involving.

Screenshots don't look too hot from either a graphics or art direction standpoint.
I think its art direction looks cute and colorful, and it's obviously a low-tech game but that's not holding it back much.

Is this a localization or indie game they're funding?
First released to a small audience at Comiket 91.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
From the Astebreed devs? Sounds cool.

Also glad that this is an XSEED joint that's going to be on GOG, not just Steam.

Shouldn't be surprised it's such a nice, unique game since Edelweiss developed it. They should be rewarded for pushing outside normal doujin trends/staples. And that's one catchy soundtrack too.

Also glad that this is an XSEED joint that's going to be on GOG, not just Steam.
I still don't get why NISA shot down a GOG release of Ys VIII PC. That doesn't even make sense given Falcom's DRM-free policy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get why NISA shot down a GOG release of Ys VIII PC. That doesn't even make sense given Falcom's DRM-free policy.

I can only assume NISA themselves are afraid to release the game DRM-free.

As for this game, the sidescrolling parts look pretty good. The rice harvesting, eh...

Osukaa

Oh this looks like a game I can get behind. Probably a day 1 purchase for me. Nice to have games like these get made still. Plus the rice (mechanic?) seems interesting. I'm a sucker for these types of games.

Releasing Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity on just PS4 was a big mistake if you ask me, so bringing the native Windows version to Steam/GOG this Summer would help a lot and explains why Sakuna's not PS4-only too.

I can only assume NISA themselves are afraid to release the game DRM-free.
They have zero goods reasons to be this reluctant, or maybe they just don't care about a small cross-section of the Western Falcom audience that prefers DRM-free versions. GOG would easily accept Ys VIII in their review process.

Hah if this is one of the mystery apps their steamdb page listed, then i am glad this is getting mote exposure
Still hoping this game isn't one of those, because I want a surprised Falcom PC announcement of some kind soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Releasing Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity on just PS4 was a big mistake if you ask me, so bringing the native Windows version to Steam/GOG this Summer would help a lot and explains why Sakuna's not PS4-only too.

That's one of the reasons I've been hesitant to buy it. I recall someone mentioned that the PS4 version was somehow enhanced or improved and it's why XSEED only released it on PS4, but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

Gematsu article + PR:

XSEED said:
In Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, players take on the role of Sakuna, a proud yet lonely harvest goddess who is banished to a dangerous island with a group of outcast humans. Sakuna tames the island by defeating demons using farm tools as weapons while also making ample use of her “celestial scarf,” a magical item that allows her to grapple distant enemies and platforms. Along the way, she establishes a home in a mountain village, which serves as a base of operations for crafting weapons and cooking food. Additionally, as a harvest goddess, she grows rice by following a detailed process that encompasses everything from planting to harvesting. Through this process, across each of the four seasons, she’s able to improve the harvest and hone her battle skills alike.

The painstakingly researched storyline incorporates Japanese history and legend, with its heroine facing off against numerous types of demons, great and small, as she traverses detailed landscapes rich with the iconography of classic Japanese mythology. A love letter to Japanese culture, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is also an ode to the artistry of cultivating rice, and features an engrossing simulation of the craft behind the agriculture.

Developed by Edelweiss and published in North America by XSEED Games, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is in development for the PS4 system and Windows PC and is scheduled for release in 2018. This title has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

Top Bottom