• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed giving LUNAR PSP a fresh translation

MCD

Yes Boss! said:
Has a PSN release been confirmed yet? I'm trying to decide between a preorder for UMD Limited Edition or to go with a download for the Go.
a psn release will make me buy a psp go and never look back.

toneroni

totally forgot about this as my psp has been sitting idle for a while. Hope to finally play through it as I never beat the PS1 edition.

Yazuka

Nekobo said:
The new lyrics in the intro movie totally threw me off because the WD version is ingrained in my brain. :(
Same for me. While I'm glad they actually dubbed it, it felt weird and strange.
Now I really want to hear XSEEDs version of Winds Nocturned.

linkboy

I'm buying the Limited Edition, no questions asked.

Buying a Lunar game without any extra's just feels wrong.

Boo to the new lyrics, my mind kept playing the WD version in my head.

Love the demo, though it made me realize just how shitty the psp-3000's screen really is. I wonder if the pspgo's screen doesn't have the same interlacing issues...

Takao

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Has a PSN release been confirmed yet? I'm trying to decide between a preorder for UMD Limited Edition or to go with a download for the Go.

While I don't believe Lunar has been specifically confirmed (then again, has the release date for the UMD even been confirmed?), XSEED has more or less stated that their future releases on PSP should also be on PSN. They seem to like the idea of Download-Only titles, as next week, their first D-O title will be released on PSN, Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just finished the demo and saved a clear file, ready for the full game, and whatever goodies this unlocks. I'll admit that it's been some years since I replayed Lunar 1, but I don't remember the White Dragon Cave being quite that short, straight forward, and easy.

The new localization isn't particularly endearing itself to me so far. Not as bad as I feared, but not as close to WD as I hoped for. The graphics are nice, but the style isn't so hot. Nall, Luna, and Ramus look fine, but Alex looks really off. Combat's a combination of classic Lunar and some of the new features from the GBA version. That surprised me. Overworld also works like the GBA game, IIRC.

Music is pretty stellar, definitely my most pleasant surprise so far. Though I'm still pissed that they're not using the original (Sega CD) battle theme. The new one used in the PSOne, GBA, PC, and now PSP versions flat out sucks balls. Shame, because the original battle theme is one of my favorite Iwadare battle themes ever. Le sigh.

I get the sense that I won't regret picking up the CE when it hits (already preordered). My early caution seems to be panning out. A solid effort that exceeds my worst fears but fails to live up to my best hopes.

Obviously the demo hasn't illuminated us to one of the most important changes. Ghaleon's voice.

Kishgal

Banned
Strangely, Ghaleon is the one I have the least problem with, and he was the one I was most worried about. Michelle Ruff is too prolific for Lunar, I think. And Nash is just... what?

KaYotiX

Banned
Nekobo said:
The new lyrics in the intro movie totally threw me off because the WD version is ingrained in my brain. :(

This!!! Still a decent remake of the game though, cant wait till its out.:D

Still have both Lunar 1 and 2 collectors editions and i do prefer those to any remakes

Ergh, I hate pretty much all of the new voices. Except Alex, who sounds fairly close to Ashley Angel THE ASHLEY ANGEL OF O-TOWN.

I'll just stick to my PSX version of SSSC.

wrowa

I'm soo close to buy the limited edition just because it's fucking Lunar.

Although I don't even own a PSP :( It's so hard to resist!

GhaleonQ

I assume that the people making Kyle criticisms forgot that that's his introductory line from when he's drunk. He's supposed to be slurring and modulating his voice weirdly. That's not the way he'll usually talk.

linkboy

pancakesandsex said:
Look at the date on the article slick.

Yea, so, that just makes it hurt even more.

Also, its not really fair to criticize the new actors because the old ones were so great. I'm looking at this game the same way I look at, say, Twin Snakes. Its a different take on one of my favorite games.

The only voice that really bothers me is Nall's. It really should be more high pitched (like the lady who did it in the original).

GhaleonQ said:
I assume that the people making Kyle criticisms forgot that that's his introductory line from when he's drunk. He's supposed to be slurring and modulating his voice weirdly. That's not the way he'll usually talk.
i just hate the voice overall. not the way he's speaking.

I felt bad after everything I said earlier in this thread when I heard how badly the game sold.

Then I clicked on the official site. I heard the song, the glorious melody. Then, the words. THESE ARE NOT THE CORRECT WORDS. Then the bridge, the horrifying bridge. Then I stopped the music, the memory of my childhood couldn't take it anymore. Then I made the mistake of clicking on the character page and listening to the voices. I may have gone deaf, my brain is shutting out all sound, and I'm sure that when I wake up I won't remember today's events. WHY DOES KYLE HAVE A LISP? WHY? ANSWER ME!!! I regret nothing.

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU XSEEEEEEEED

it's ok mr.puppet ghaleon, go back to sleep. it's all just another dream.

Yazuka

I hate both Kyle and Nash voice. Sam regal does Nash voice if I'm not mistaken.
Not to fond of that guy. I'd rather see Yuri Lowenthal do Nash voice.
Mel doesn't sound as "scary" anymore. But I thought Ghaleon's voce was pretty good.

Eric C

Ghaleon is not as bad as I thought he might be. But couldn't they just have got John Truitt to do Ghaleon again?

Nash and Kyle's voices :( why?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ugh, the transitions between screens are too long, and the music breaks up.
WTF were they thinking?

I was telling a buddy the other day that I feel like XSEED took what made Lunar great and just shit all over it.

To me, the best thing about Lunar was always it's localization. The amount of love and care put into the dialogue just isn't there. Everyone feels flat and out of character.

Also, when you direct translate a song and then need to shoe horn lyrics into lines to make it fit...
What an amateur move.

Song doesn't bother me much, mainly because I never cared all that much for the SSSC songs in the first place, even in their original Japanese, the lyrics are worse in the new one, but they weren't all THAT great in the first place anyway.

The voice actors all sound pretty meh, but again, I wasn't particularly thrilled with them the first time around anyway, save Ghaleon. And at least Nall doesn't sound like a chipmunk on cocaine.

How does one go about playing the demo with CFW? I do want to give it a shot.

Bog

Junior Ace
Mejilan said:
I don't remember the White Dragon Cave being quite that short

I thought the opposite, actually. Maybe it's because they battles seem to take forever.

vireland

Ericsc said:
Ghaleon is not as bad as I thought he might be. But couldn't they just have got John Truitt to do Ghaleon again?

Nash and Kyle's voices :( why?

It was all or nothing. John and the other actors trusted the work we did on the prior four WD LUNAR games and were standing behind me because they knew if I was involved in the new one it would be done right. XSEED passed on working with me, and Jenny was the only one that broke rank and did it anyway. I can't imagine she's proud of the result (especially since they buried her voice in the mix), but it was her choice to make.

Christopher

vireland said:
It was all or nothing. John and the other actors trusted the work we did on the prior four WD LUNAR games and were standing behind me because they knew if I was involved in the new one it would be done right. XSEED passed on working with me, and Jenny was the only one that broke rank and did it anyway. I can't imagine she's proud of the result (especially since they buried her voice in the mix), but it was her choice to make.

THAT'S JENNY?? She sounds nothing like her previous songs at all...at all.

vireland

Christopher said:
THAT'S JENNY?? She sounds nothing like her previous songs at all...at all.

Different Equipment
+ Different Director
+ Different Lyrics
+ Different Mix
+ 10 Years
= Different Result

Balb

Is the voice acting really that bad, or are people just partial to the WD localization? I'm new to this series and want to know if I should get this or not.

Balb said:
Is the voice acting really that bad, or are people just partial to the WD localization? I'm new to this series and want to know if I should get this or not.

Some of it's just because it's different, not necessarily bad. Some of the characters even sound very similar to the older versions. The only one I've heard I didn't care for is Kyle's. And sure it's only one piece of dialogue while the character is drunk, but the old version was soooooooooooooooooooo much better. If you havn't played it before go for it. If I feel a need to play Lunar again though, I'll just go back to PSX version.

GhaleonQ

Balb said:

Opinions and opinions, et cetera. The voices themselves are more well-known and therefore more generic (that's objective), but we have no real knowledge of how their performances are in the game. Everyone's sample line is among their 1st lines in game, I think, so they aren't necessarily representative. Nash's line is the way he usually talks, though, so I'm prepared to go in disliking him. I sense that people just dislike differences, though.

Top Bottom