• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED interview: Touhou & Xanadu underperform; Akiba & Nitro+ do well; more PC coming

Read an interview on Dualshockers today with Ken Berry (are they banned on GAF? can't remember). He gives some interesting insights. The interview is mostly PC-games focused, and he provides some information about how certain titles performed:

As we go further into 2017, what would you say that you learned in 2016 that you might bring with you into this new year of releases?

KB: We did have a couple of initiatives last year where we wanted to bring on more digital titles, especially indie games. Games such as Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity on PS4 didn't quite live up to expectations, but that could be a reflection to something that we did. I would say that PC titles like Xanadu Next that we put out also didn't live up expectations.

I'm wondering if perhaps we didn't give the full support and lead up to the game's release that it needed. Traditionally, when we announce titles months in advance it's for the retail push and they can set up pre-orders. With digital titles we thought, ”Well you don't need that long lead time so how about just a very short intense press release cycle period 4 weeks before launch?" I'm not sure if that was the best strategy for Xanadu Next which was a game that really didn't find its audience.

However, on the plus side of last year we did release Corpse Party on the 3DS with figurines. That's the one thing that people have been asking about for a long time and that one did work out very well. Maybe we'll work out more extravagant LE packages in the future.

AL: Speaking of PC releases, does the Senran Kagura series perform well on the PC platform?

KB: Yes, Senran kagura: Shinovi Versus has done extremely well. We've recently announced that Senran Kagura: Estival Versus will also be coming out on March 17. Some other titles did above expectations on PC such as Nitro+ Blasters and Akiba's Trip, they definitely found a great audience on PC.

In a recent interview you stated that you might be looking into the Otome visual novel genre as a possible project for XSEED, is this still on your mind?

KB: Yes, it's actually something that we've been looking into for a couple years. It's never quite panned with the exact titles we are looking into, but now I think we are fairly close to announcing something soon.

Also he pretty much lets slip that Peach Beach Splash is coming west:

AL: Recently, Marvelous shared their financial statement and they mentioned the Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash will be coming west, is this something you're working on?

KB: [laughs] They put that in there, did they? Often times we get pretty far along with a game before making any formal announcements. Usually when a company announces a title their retail strategy is already determined in whether they are going to sell it as a stand alone game or limited edition. Let's just say that something along those lines could be delaying any announcements from us.

More at the source.

Lock if this is an old thread, couldn't find it from a search.

Eolz

Nice interview. Surprised by Nitro+ doing well, not surprised by Xanadu not doing well sadly, it was badly handled in terms of marketing and release date.
Touhou also felt too expensive for its support sadly.

Pretty sure PBS was already confirmed for the west though, just no release date plans.

Wish they could port some 3DS games to PC as well, like some managed to do with Umihara Kawase and Code of Princess. SKB and 2 deserve it :/

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I did my part with Xanadu. Really looking forward to seeing more releases (especially physical) from them. I consider them the Working Designs of the modern age.

rhandino

Banned
I would say that PC titles like Xanadu Next that we put out also didn’t live up expectations.
Nooooooooooooo T_T

Then again I have a faint memory of they just dropping this game out in the wild without much notice and in a crowded week... or at least I think that was.

Oh well, hope word of mout spreads and people play this gem.

It's good at least that XSeed is starting to acknowledge you just cant stealth release a game. Especially if it's an older title which what may have a lower perceived production value.

Knurek

Nooooooooooooo T_T

Then again I have a faint memory of they just dropping this game out in the wild without much notice and in a crowded week... or at least I think that was.

You remember correctly.
Unfortunately, it seems XSEED doesn't remember - "intense press release cycle" my ass, the game was sent out to die.

Jawmuncher

Not surprised to see Xanadu Next underperforming. I enjoyed it, but the timeframe it came out was pretty crowded. Also the whole "surprise the release is in a week" tactic doesn't seem to work like it used to.

Are these guys no longer doing Uppers? Is that game localization dead in the water?
I didnt think uppers was ever even announced for localization, and with it performing so poorly on its home turf I would never expect it.

A quick google search has me seeing some people from marvelous hoping to localize it, but no actual announcements.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Xanadu Next came out the first week of November... sandwiched in between EVERYTHING... only so much money to go around

I bought it day one though

I didnt think uppers was ever even announced for localization, and with it performing so poorly on its home turf I would never expect it.

A quick google search has me seeing some people from marvelous hoping to localize it, but no actual announcements.

I had it in my head since there was English trophies for Uppers (happened a few months back) that XSEED would be the ones handling it but looks unlikely now. Maybe it got canned after they stopped supporting Vita as a platform... :(

Chesskid1

Banned
here's the numbers for senran kagura shinovi versus that did extremely well incase someone else wanted to look it up

Owners: 79,166 ± 7,877

i just played it and platinumed it a few days ago and enjoyed it even though it became a slog towards the end

will play estival soon

Tizoc

I had it in my head since there was English trophies for Uppers (happened a few months back) that XSEED would be the ones handling it but looks unlikely now. Maybe it got canned after they stopped supporting Vita as a platform... :(
Uppers coming to steam then

Stefarno

I've sure they've previously said that Estival Versus did very well for XSEED, so localising Peach Beach Splash was basically a certainty.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sucks Xanadu Next underperformed -- that game was fucking exceptional.

Anyway, as long as XSEED keeps releasing their shit on GOG, I'll keep buying it. Regardless of what it is. But please, Trails of Cold Steel.

Eila

Xanadu Next is really good. Hope it does better once it gets deeper discounts. I still think it's worth it at 25% off that it's currently at.

Tonton

I would have gotten Scarlet Curiosity if it was released on PC, you know, the plataform the game was originally on

Nitroplus Blasterz expectations must have been pretty damn low if sales are anywhere near it's Steamspy numbers lol

I would have gotten Scarlet Curiosity if it was released on PC, you know, the plataform the game was originally on

Nitroplus Blasterz expectations must have been pretty damn low if sales are anywhere near it's Steamspy numbers lol
10k for an offkey fighting game with an already complete localization on a platform that doesnt really pull in a fighting game audience, and at an inflated launch price. Actually seems really good to me. Was most likely pretty profitable.

Nyoro SF

Xanadu Next ;_;

I know indies have destroyed the "Souls-like" label in their desperate marketing pushes.

But Xanadu Next is a true Souls-like game. All the way from stat allotment, to hidden shortcuts that loop you back to previous areas, to slower methodical back and forth combat where you can specialize in either magic or melee. And the best part is, it's not a long game either. The art is lovely and reminiscent of old 80's/90's PC games and the 3D, despite being old, still holds up well.

Also good luck XSEED on PC and thanks for supporting the platform! And yes, you do need to advertise games farther ahead of time and let people preorder. :)

It's a shame about Xanadu Next, as the game is great, but they really sent it out to die. There was hardly any marketing for that title, it came out at a busy time, etc. People here on GAF did way more marketing for that game than XSEED seemed to. Maybe they did have more of a marketing push, but I certainly didn't see it.

Everyone should buy it though, one of Falcom's best. If you loved Brandish on PSP you will love Xanadu Next.

MKIL65

I wonder how much Genso Wanderer is gonna sell... Probably even worse.

It comes out, in like, a week?

Oh well, me and like 3 people on the internet are gonna enjoy it! :X

ShyMel

In a recent interview you stated that you might be looking into the Otome visual novel genre as a possible project for XSEED, is this still on your mind?

KB: Yes, it’s actually something that we’ve been looking into for a couple years. It’s never quite panned with the exact titles we are looking into, but now I think we are fairly close to announcing something soon.

That's awesome! I'm excited to hear about it down the road.

Shizuka

Maybe XSEED shouldn't have dropped the Vita as fast as they did, PC titles aren't always successful by themselves and they can't really become a PC exclusive publisher expecting that all of their titles will sell well.

Sir TapTap

Can't say I suuuuper enjoyed either touhou game they brought over. The 1v1 game was really close to being great, the actual combat was fun even if the balance was very off, but dang it lacked in almost any kind of feature. I was never super sold on the series and I think I'm going to give it just one more shot when they bring a regular style bullet hell shooter over.

Cool the others are doing well enough. glad weird fighting games can still do okay even if I can't play them for shit. They're all the hope most series have of any form of crossover.

I wonder how much Genso Wanderer is gonna sell... Probably even worse.

It comes out, in like, a week?

Oh well, me and like 3 people on the internet are gonna enjoy it! :X

NIS America just announced their third Touhou title (Bullet Battle; Genso Wanderer; that weird fighting game one) at their event last month, so they must be doing slightly better with them at least.

Wonder if the physical release helped.

Maybe XSEED shouldn't have dropped the Vita as fast as they did, PC titles aren't always successful by themselves and they can't really become a PC exclusive publisher expecting that all of their titles will sell well.

Did they had a choice though ?
I mean, as for your point, it doesnt make sense. Is there any platform you can expect all of your titles to sell well ?
As for Vita, it's an abandonned platform. They still have a lot of work with PS4 and now PC.

As for the not always successful part, it's true. But as opposed to Vita, Steam and PC are well and alive platforms, which will still be around in a decade. Any title they bring can also be a long term revenue stream.

Kumubou

Not surprised Touhou did so poorly. They should work on localizing the main games before doing spinoffs.
Apparently (as from what I've read online from second and third hand sources) the hang-up there is that ZUN is hyper-protective of the scripts and dialog in the mainline games and is unwilling to let anyone else handle them. He's also made enough money from the series that there's no possible offer anyone could give to get him to change his mind. So I wouldn't expect the main games to get officially localized before the heat death of the universe.

I also think this push for Touhou-related games is about a decade late, but that's a whole another matter. That and trying to sell doujin-quality games (which I don't think would even go over all that well in the indie market) at premium prices is going to be tough sledding.

Eolz

Are these guys no longer doing Uppers? Is that game localization dead in the water?

They never planned to localize it, despite the weird trophies listing as you've said.

I've sure they've previously said that Estival Versus did very well for XSEED, so localising Peach Beach Splash was basically a certainty.

Well, Marvelous Europe was basically made for SK after all. The whole series always worked well in the west, and we got better special editions for those games than most of their other ones (not counting the ones given to NISA).

Top Bottom