• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED interview: Touhou & Xanadu underperform; Akiba & Nitro+ do well; more PC coming

JPS Kai

Going back through my old press releases..

Xanadu Next announced on October 21st, then a follow up email on November 3rd celebrating the launch (and review code request).

Not much lead time in terms of advertising or promotion.

Edit: BlueMaxima and I had the same views on the Metrovania Touhou game, but I ended up liking Genso Wanderer more than Shiren.

Parsnip

I did my part with Xanadu Next and it ended up being one of my top5 games of last year. It's pure joy to play.

Looking forward to whatever they announce next.

Waji

No, Xanadu Next is excellent. I'd point out specifically why you're wrong, but you didn't actually provide any arguments to shoot down
I don't need argument to tell people that this is the worst Falcom I played since it's from my point of view.
The people who say "it's such a wonderful game, buy it" are doing the same as I do.

I didn't like it and I don't recommend it, but it doesn't mean I'm running everywhere shouting it's bad everyone should avoid it.
Just do whatever you want, buy it, like it, or don't.

Oviously there will always be more people saying it's great since they'd check topics of games they like first (and or they really dislike whether it's real feeling or just troll).

I don't give any argument because I don't think it would help with anything because it's what I feel about it and nobody would care.
I played the first version. I don't know what's in "next" that's so good but the first version is at most an ok game to me.

I don't need argument to tell people that this is the worst Falcom I played since it's from my point of view.
The people who say "it's such a wonderful game, buy it" are doing the same as I do.

I didn't like it and I don't recommend it, but it doesn't mean I'm running everywhere shouting it's bad everyone should avoid it.

Oviously there will always be more people saying it's great since they'd check topics of games they like first (and or they really dislike whether it's real feeling or just troll).

I don't give any argument because I don't think it would help with anything because it's what I feel about it and nobody would care.

Wait, sorry, but I don't follow your reasoning here. If you had already decided that people wouldn't care about your opinion and that's the reason you don't give any argument, why say anything in the first place? People would care about unsupported remarks even less, you know.

Like, here I am thinking of buying the game since it's on sale and I'd actually be interested in hearing some negative thoughts about it, but alas "it's one of the worst Falcom game I played so I'm not suer people 'need' to buy it" is simply unhelpful.

Ascheroth

I played the first version. I don't know what's in "next" that's so good but the first version is at most an ok game to me.
?
There is no 'first version' of Xanadu Next. It's its own game.
Are you sure you aren't confusing it with another game?

Durante

The only "first version" of Xanadu Next that makes sense is the N-Gage "version". And I could actually imagine that one putting someone off, but it shouldn't really be compared to the PC version ;)

zeelman

None of the Touhou games that anyone is localizing right now is interesting to me.

It didn't help that XSEED didn't bother advertising Scarlet Curiosity at all. The only reason I knew about it was from randomly browsing their website one day.

Shizuka

Very disappointed about the bold. I really hope there is some surprise announcement coming...

XSEED has skipped great games in favor of arguably trash games over and over again in the past, but now they're in a serious situation. I'm happy that they managed to get a deal with Falcom and bring them back to the western audience's attention, but now that's no longer in effect, not even Marvelous is pumping out quality titles anymore. From now on it's either more PC ports of older Marvelous titles, older Vita Marvelous titles or D3 Publisher's shovelware, and we all know how that'll turn out.

Very disappointed about the bold. I really hope there is some surprise announcement coming...

Time has passed. Don't think PQube have shown any interest and I doubt any other publishers would grab it.

XSEED has skipped great games in favor of arguably trash games over and over again in the past, but now they're in a serious situation. I'm happy that they managed to get a deal with Falcom and bring them back to the western audience's attention, but now that's no longer in effect, not even Marvelous is pumping out quality titles anymore. From now on it's either more PC ports of older Marvelous titles, older Vita Marvelous titles or D3 Publisher's shovelware, and we all know how that'll turn out.

I am sorta surprised by their partnership with D3. I mean personally, I like their output (mostly), but it seems to be swapping average-to-above-average quality action games from their parent company (Valkyrie Drive/Uppers) for below-average-to-average quality action games from someone else (Onechanbara/School Girl Zombie Hunter).

Apart from EDF. EDF is awesome.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not unsurprising.

Akiba's Trip has a greater mass appeal than Xanadu Next.

An anime game where you strip people and has wacky otaku references will reach a much larger audience than a Nox-like isometric action RPG from 2005.
Well...
because people suck.
Yeah. :\

took me by complete surprise because no other enemy in the game had this ability, that pink nose punch shouldn't be anything; I was used to eating damage OH GOD WHY

I was so mad (in a good way), even with my exp+ guardian on it took like 40 minutes to get those levels back at the point I was in the game :p
Haha, when I lost a level by a lich at some point, my hits were suddenly doing 1 damage because the level I had lost put me under the minimum requirements to wield my weapon. I just suicided and reloaded, getting back to where I had died would have taken less time than re-levelling. :p

Secondly, I thought GAF was all about the gameplay, and not graphics.
lol, why oh why would you even think that

ArjanN

My post was somewhat in jest, but actually I'm not sure if we're talking about the same game. Are you talking about Tokyo Xanadu? Because that's a completely different game.

Aselith

It's a real shame... the tone of the game is fantastic too. Here's a shot for all you wishlist holders. :p

Wait you took I screenshot of a level 1 character in the base. Fess up, did you play the game or did you just load it up and take a shot at the beginning of the game?

When did XSEED say they were done with Vita? That's sad.

That's a bummer if true. I can't even think of what else they would he willing to localize for the vita after Akiba's Beat. Well at least PQube has stepped up recently.

Who knows, maybe they'll start localizing VNs like other localizers lol.

Varg

Banned
Just a quick glance at the steam forums and it seems Xanadu is still riddled with bugs from launch and hasn't been updated in months . Game looks right up my alley and is on sale but that is unacceptable . Achievements not popping up , problems with the slimes , stuttering . Want to buy it but I rather wait now. Maybe these problems are the reason for such low sales ?

Just a quick glance at the steam forums and it seems Xanadu is still riddled with bugs from launch and hasn't been updated in months . Game looks right up my alley and is on sale but that is unacceptable . Achievements not popping up , problems with the slimes , stuttering . Want to buy it but I rather wait now. Maybe these problems are the reason for such low sales ?

These are minor issues and probably have nothing to do with the poor sales.

Waji

?
There is no 'first version' of Xanadu Next. It's its own game.
Are you sure you aren't confusing it with another game?
?
1) Tokyo Xanadu
2) Tokyo Xanadu Next

I heard there was a new version released in Japan but I don't know its name.
Is this "Next" word only for the western release or something ?

I'm talking about this one :

Tokyo_Xanadu_cover.jpg

Wait, sorry, but I don't follow your reasoning here. If you had already decided that people wouldn't care about your opinion and that's the reason you don't give any argument, why say anything in the first place? People would care about unsupported remarks even less, you know.

Like, here I am thinking of buying the game since it's on sale and I'd actually be interested in hearing some negative thoughts about it, but alas "it's one of the worst Falcom game I played so I'm not suer people 'need' to buy it" is simply unhelpful.
It's the first time it happens.

If I had to quickly give a few reasons I 'd say that it's a lazy game on several aspects.
Half of it is action based, but it's slow and annoying compared to Ys games. Playing for a few minutes is ok but it gets old and not well done.
The other half is story + complete copy of Sen no Kiseki which is already really not in my top Falcom games compared to other kisekis.
It just feels like a lazy game especially when I saw that the first optional quest was the EXACT same as the first side quest in Sen no Kiseki (cold steel).

So I'd recommend Ys games or the early kiseki (from trails in the sky to Ao no Kiseki) but not Tokyo Xanadu.

But still I'm sure my reasons here are probably going to be useless. Hope I'm just being pessimistic.
Since everyone decided it was so good, then it must be good and I'm just not enjoying it.
I'd buy the OST but forget about the game.

Then again, I may just have shitty taste. Since I liked Xenosaga or X and lots of people say they are shit, I think I'm just included in some minority.
So there might be less chances most people like the same type of games.
If it can help I like most Ys games, Sora (trails sky) FC SC and 3rd a lot, and Zero, Ao (blue) are part of the best Rpg I played in my life.

?
1) Tokyo Xanadu
2) Tokyo Xanadu Next

I think you're getting confused about the Xanadu game people are talking about. Tokyo Xanadu and Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ are not Xanadu Next.

xanadunext_05.jpg

This is Xanadu Next.

Ascheroth

?
1) Tokyo Xanadu
2) Tokyo Xanadu Next

Xanadu Next is a different game then Tokyo Xanadu.
Xanadu Next came out in 2005 on PC and got localized at the end of last year.

Tokyo Xanadu is a different game and the eX+ version (or whatever it's called) will have a western release at the end of this year for PS4/PC.

Waji

Hmm, that explains a lot. I'm sorry about the confusion.
I get confused with these names and I thought the one I was talking about was released recently.

I guess I should check this one then : P. I remember something about it I thought it was named differently, oh well...
So sorry.

Kaibutsu

I bought Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity the day it was released on PSN and it was fine but certainly not worth the $20 they were charging for it... With no marketing at all and from what I can remember, a stealth release for a doujin game, they couldn't have been expecting it do that well right?

Graciaus

I feel like Xanadu Next just trolled me hard. They gave me complete freedom to level my character however I wanted. So I made a pure mage that could nuke bosses in seconds. Then toward the end of the game I run into a boss that is literally immune to magic. My regular attacks do 1 damage. Wtf.

Oh well a solid 10 hours played. Uninstalled.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Xanadu Next was a phenomenal game, with some excellent level design. Such a shame it did so poorly, I did my part and tried as much as possible to evangelize it on these boards. Along with DQ Builders, one of my favorites of 2016.

Top Bottom