• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED registers domains: Corpse Party: Blood Drive, Xanadu Next, Trails of Cold Steel

Foffy

Banned
The edit didn't remove anything, the blanks are actually what's returned from a reverse whois. They do that so they can charge people to get the full information.

However, yes, it is Trails of Cold Steel, which I am fairly certain is Sen no Kiseki.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? They're going to bother with another Legend of Heroes game?

Aeana

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? They're going to bother with another Legend of Heroes game?

Falcom seems to really be pushing Sen, what with how they got Korean and Chinese translations done officially. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to accelerate the English fanbase up to that point, as well.

Zhao_Yun

Falcom seems to really be pushing Sen, what with how they got Korean and Chinese translations done officially. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to accelerate the English fanbase up to that point, as well.

I am not familiar with how all the different Kiseki titles are connected but would it even make sense to release Sen in the West before Ao and Zero?

Durante

How does Sen fit into the whole Kiseki construct? Can someone draw me a flowchart or something? ;)

I am not familiar with how all the different Kiseki titles are connected but would it even make sense to release Sen in the West before Ao and Zero?
I see I'm not the only one who is confused!

Taruranto

Eh, they have been making good money of Falcom games on steam probably, so they probably just bought the fan-translation and called it a day.

Happy to see Xanadu is getting more exposure.

Shiina

The edit didn't remove anything, the blanks are actually what's returned from a reverse whois. They do that so they can charge people to get the full information.

However, yes, it is Trails of Cold Steel, which I am fairly certain is Sen no Kiseki.

キタ━━━━━━( ゚∀゚ )━(∀゚ )━(゚  )━(  )━(  ゚)━( ゚∀)━( ゚∀゚ )━━━━━━!!!!!

Aeana

How does Sen fit into the whole Kiseki construct? Can someone draw me a flowchart or something? ;)

It's the third arc, following Sora (Sky) and Zero/Ao (the PSP games, which together form the second arc). It takes place in the empire of Erebonia roughly at the same time as the tail end of Zero and throughout Ao.

Sen no Kiseki and Sen no Kiseki II have been a pair of the best RPGs I've played in a while.
I really hope they're going for it.

Durante

It's the third arc, following Sora (Sky) and Zero/Ao (the PSP games, which together form the second arc). It takes place in the empire of Erebonia roughly at the same time as the tail end of Zero and throughout Ao.
So basically you shouldn't play it until after all of Sky and Zero/Ao?

I was confused by the ".. no Kiseki" names and thought Cold Steel was just supposed to be the subtitle for SC. Hoooly shit. 2015 starting with all the megatons.

Whoawhoawhoawhoa.

All I can think of right now is
"Trails of Cold Steel" is way better than "Trails of Flash" some people were using.

Foffy

Banned

I think they're just ready to skip titles to try and catch up. Unless they bothered with the Evolution versions, your best bet to ever see those titles is thanks to fan translations, where Ao is being worked on.

I would laugh myself into a coma if that fan translation finished before Trails in the Sky SC.

Aeana

It doesn't really matter. Zero/Ao reference some events that happen in Sen, and vice-versa. And it doesn't really depend a lot on Sora regardless, other than the basic world building it did.

And honestly, if they're skipping ahead to Sen, I wouldn't expect Zero/Ao any time soon, but that's just me speculating.

It's a little bit (only a little bit) more flexible than that, but pretty much, yeah.

I'd say the first half of Zero/Sen no Kiseki is plenty playable without having played any of the previous Kiseki games. However, after the half-way point, it's pretty much necessary to have played the previous games to get the full experience.

With that being said, it still tells a relatively stand-alone story. One would miss out on the over-arching characters and stuff, but in general, it's not like the plot largely depends on what happened in Sora.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So XSEED is localizing Sen no Kiseki?

Disappointing if so, because it doesn't look very interesting to me and I don't want to play it until we get the prior games. So I'll have to decide if I want to buy it and sit on it (support, and I'll definitely have the game later) or hold off for a potential PC release and pick it up however many years down the line (and if not, hope I can find a PS3 copy for a decent price).

It doesn't really matter. Zero/Ao reference some events that happen in Sen, and vice-versa. And it doesn't really depend a lot on Sora regardless, other than the basic world building it did.

And honestly, if they're skipping ahead to Sen, I wouldn't expect Zero/Ao any time soon, but that's just me speculating.

Doesn't Sen have a FC-like cliffhanger, and Sen 2 basically requires you to have played 3rd/Zero/Ao?

Eh, spoiler tagged just in case.

Aeana

It's a little bit (only a little bit) more flexible than that, but pretty much, yeah.

I'd say the first half of Zero/Sen no Kiseki is plenty playable without having played any of the previous Kiseki games. However, after the half-way point, it's pretty much necessary to have played the previous games to get the full experience.

I think it's important to note that Falcom apparently decided otherwise, giving the push they gave Sen in Chinese and Korean. Zero and Ao may have had "unofficial" PC releases in Chinese, but they are not available at all in Korean. So while those of us who have played the Sen games (especially Sen 2) might find it hard to imagine not playing Zero/Ao first, I think it's probably not such a big deal. I actually felt the same way about playing Zero/Ao before Sora, and then I met several people who did just that and they didn't feel super lost at all.

Doesn't Sen have a FC-like cliffhanger, and Sen 2 basically requires you to have played 3rd/Zero/Ao?

Cliffhangers are the norm for the series. And see my answer to the second part above.

Eh, spoiler tagged just in case.

SC, Ao, and Sen II are in the same ballpark of being an immediate sequel that it's crazy to start without having played FC, Zero and Sen first.

However, jumping into a new 'story arc' without having played the previous story arcs is 'largely' fine. Crossbell (Zero no Kiseki) is plenty playable even without having played Sora, even if you'd miss out on 'the feels' (unresolved side story arc from the previous game).

Likewise, Sen no Kiseki too is playable without having experienced the previous games.

zakujanai

Trying not to get too excited about the possibility of Sen no Kiseki. Still getting way too excited about the possibility of Sen no Kiseki

I think it's important to note that Falcom apparently decided otherwise, giving the push they gave Sen in Chinese and Korean. Zero and Ao may have had "unofficial" PC releases in Chinese, but they are not available at all in Korean. So while those of us who have played the Sen games (especially Sen 2) might find it hard to imagine not playing Zero/Ao first, I think it's probably not such a big deal. I actually felt the same way about playing Zero/Ao before Sora, and then I met several people who did just that and they didn't feel super lost at all.

I too, played Zero before Sora, so I get what you're saying.

I feel like Mass Effect is kind of a decent analogy to use. Jumping into Zero/Sen without having played the previous games is kinda like jumping into Mass Effect 2 without having played ME1.

You lose out on character development/references to established pieces built from the first game, but it's not a story that hinges critically on having played the previous game.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Poor XSEED, getting their announcements spoiled all the time. 2015 is off to a great start and I'm getting all of these.

Xenoflare

I am certain that FC,SC and 3rd for Sora had an official Chinese/Korean version. So there is a sustained fanbase in those regions.

I bought the offical Chinese ones back in the days, SC and 3rd had SecuROM which was fun. I legitimately cannot install them because the server for the activation keys are long gone and it only allows one activation per PC and requires a deactivation once you uninstall.

Why did they do that anyway? It's confusing as hell.

They like doing their own title localization. They also kept referring to "Oreshika2" as "Over My Dead Body" but it ended up being called "Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines" in the west. (Someone should check if they bothered fixing their tags :p)

The New Year has only just started, and I have gotten potentially the best gaming news that I will get all year. Based XSEED if true. Pump that Falcom right into my veins.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm assuming this.

Game was quite the disappointment... Real lack of freedom and the battle system gets old quick once the initial charm wears off.

Highly unfortunate as was hoping it would have been the replacement for Rune Factory.

Aeana

I am certain that FC,SC and 3rd for Sora had an official Chinese/Korean version. So there is a sustained fanbase in those regions.

I bought the offical Chinese ones back in the days, SC and 3rd had SecuROM which was fun. I legitimately cannot install them because the server for the activation keys are long gone and it only allows one activation per PC and requires a deactivation once you uninstall.

Yeah, I know. Zero/Ao did not come out in Korean, though. There were fan translation efforts, although I'm unsure if they were ever completed.

Didn't that localisation effort materialise out of a collaboration with SCEJA? As mentioned here :

http://www.esterior.net/2014/05/tra...ut-sen-no-kiseki-ii-and-the-future-of-falcom/

Wouldn't be surprised if Sen's simply easier to localise because of that.

Dark_castle

You see, it's nice to want things.

If Trails of Cold Steel is really Sen no Kiseki, I'm happy. The possibility of getting some more of the Trails of games localized is more than okay with me.

Top Bottom