• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xsx and xss confirmed to be Wifi 5

DrAspirino

Banned
I use a wired connection for the XBox One X and the Switch. Does WiFi 6 actually offer faster speed than a wired connection now?
Nope. Wired is ALWAYS going to be better than wireless.

Now, if you have a WiFi 5 router, it doesn't matter if your console(s) have WiFi 6, as they will work in WiFi 5. On the contrary, if you have a Wifi 6 router but only WiFi 5 devices, you'll be wasting the router's capability.

For WiFi 6 to be fully utilized, both the router AND the devices have to be WiFi 6 compliant.

Gamerguy84

Ive used powerline and in my exlerience it can be inconsistent. Depending on how many devices are drawing power of course.

MoCa adapters were the solution for me. Especially using PSNOW, it made a world of difference. Latency is low enough for streaming to work very well and I get full speed.

teezzy

Banned
Got my PC hooked up via ethernet, and my XB1 S via Wifi.

If you're gonna play a console like a peasant... weeelllllllllll.....

I'll just drop this off here

https://www.techradar.com/news/wi-fi-6-vs-ethernet-who-is-taking-the-connectivity-crown#:~:text=The latest iteration of Wi,era of the smart home.&text=In real world testing, Wi,than connecting via Gigabit Ethernet.

xKR4fnr.jpg
Old ass Ethernet compared to spending several hundreds, to flex on decade old tech? But I'd still take 1gbps vs theoretical 1.2gbps. Wired>Wireless.

GHG

Why on earth is this even a discussion?

Wifi6 has advantages over the old version. I made the jump with my new motherboard and already had a wifi6 router because it's relatively new and I've found the connection to be a lot more consistent and stable, especially in moments where the mrs is hammering the wifi with some shite on netflix. No complaints.

If you are in a situation where you can hook up a wired connection then that will always be the best solution, but for my use (having a stable connection for work and downloads) it's been great and the improvement has been welcome.

Wired >>> wifi6 >> wifi5

The end.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

If the PS5 has even decent WiFi it would be an absolute first. All PS consoles have been unplayable online in any form. Literally cannot play MLB the Show via wifi. Ive jumped through hoops to ensure my PlayStation consoles are hardwired.

I get that Wifi 6 is faster but who is honestly going to jump on a brand new router for faster speeds that may or may not even be beneficial to you on a personal level because most of the world doesn't even have internet fast enough to take advantage of it. I have 300/100 fiber connection and even plugged in directly PSN doesn't even take full advantage of that so what's the big deal exactly?

Its not just speed its latency etc.

MayauMiao

Wired is always the best choice when it comes to reliability. I never trust the charts as it rarely reflects actual real world performance. Too many experience with Wifi failing. I'll take Cat 5E wired over any Wifi where its practical but of course Wifi 5 is welcome for portable devices.

Hezekiah

Banned
I get that Wifi 6 is faster but who is honestly going to jump on a brand new router for faster speeds that may or may not even be beneficial to you on a personal level because most of the world doesn't even have internet fast enough to take advantage of it. I have 300/100 fiber connection and even plugged in directly PSN doesn't even take full advantage of that so what's the big deal exactly?
People will be buying launch consoles and keeping them for 7 years....

Banned
Sorry I bothered you, I meant Core. Which crippled the development of games on 360 and forced devs to ship multiple disks throughout 360 life.

Ah, crippling development environment seems like a continuous MS trait. 360, Xbox One and now Series S lol

your comment doesn't make much sense, smelling fanboyism here tbh.
and what does shipping multiple discs have to do with anything now?

seems your custom title is correct

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
It's quite a step up from what we have on current consoles. Usage increases every year as wired becomes a thing of the past. It's nice all next-gen consoles are up to date.

I have my consoles connected (wired). Now that ‘s mind-boggling.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Ive used powerline and in my exlerience it can be inconsistent. Depending on how many devices are drawing power of course.

MoCa adapters were the solution for me. Especially using PSNOW, it made a world of difference. Latency is low enough for streaming to work very well and I get full speed.

So, can you speak on MoCa at all? I've had the same Powerline inconsistency issues (I eventually dropped it when I got an AC router and my laptop just connected better,) but a wire would still be nice for my consoles; I just found out about MoCa recently and it kind of blew my mind that such a thing A) exists and B) it's good and C) everybody has coax throughout their house so that'd be the easiest way to go and yet D) seemingly no one talks about this...

Did you just buy a pair of MoCa adapters and it worked? Did you even need a pair, or were you able to tap into your current cable modem and just use one MoCa receiver? (My Comcast box technically "supports MoCa", that's how it feeds the downstream boxes, but I'm not sure I can actually use it without registering another device with the cable company, and thus paying extra.) Did you have to buy extra of those little screw-on filters, or was it plug-and-play for you? Do you have anything else using/sharing the coax (like TV/satellite,) or are your coax lines just internet lines now?

8fiAIUO.png

Sorry for all the questions, but it feels like I'm dreaming that this MoCa actually exists. Having up to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports anywhere in the house (with support for up to 16 devices) wherever there's a coax and a power plug, that seems almost too good to be true...

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

How many Gaffers would even have home internet capable of pushing the limits of single device speeds of wifi 5 let alone wifi 6?

9990437058.png

I can't even when being faster than 99% of my country.

You'd easily come in under that in real world use in a lot of houses, around a corner, lots of devices sharing the bandwidth, etc.

Better wifi is almost always more importantly about the worst cases than the advertised best, and wifi 6 is aimed at not losing as much performance with multiple attached devices.

lachesis

Well, my basic rule of thumb is that if it's not portable and has ethernet port - I hard wire it, always.... so I'm okay XSX being AC only. (Heck, I only have AC router anyway, and I don't plan to update it for anytime soon, unless it craps out on me)

But it would've been nice if it had AX - but I have no qualm about AC's speed to be honest. I could spend some more money for faster internet speed - but since I have small family (just me and my child) - I'm quite content with what I have, and more than enough speed and the throughput of my router.

Gamerguy84

So, can you speak on MoCa at all? I've had the same Powerline inconsistency issues (I eventually dropped it when I got an AC router and my laptop just connected better,) but a wire would still be nice for my consoles; I just found out about MoCa recently and it kind of blew my mind that such a thing A) exists and B) it's good and C) everybody has coax throughout their house so that'd be the easiest way to go and yet D) seemingly no one talks about this...

Did you just buy a pair of MoCa adapters and it worked? Did you even need a pair, or were you able to tap into your current cable modem and just use one MoCa receiver? (My Comcast box technically "supports MoCa", that's how it feeds the downstream boxes, but I'm not sure I can actually use it without registering another device with the cable company, and thus paying extra.) Did you have to buy extra of those little screw-on filters, or was it plug-and-play for you? Do you have anything else using/sharing the coax (like TV/satellite,) or are your coax lines just internet lines now?

8fiAIUO.png

Sorry for all the questions, but it feels like I'm dreaming that this MoCa actually exists. Having up to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports anywhere in the house (with support for up to 16 devices) wherever there's a coax and a power plug, that seems almost too good to be true...

No trouble at all. Those are the exact adapters I have. Motorola 2.0.

I had to buy them by the pair because Spectrum doesnt support MoCa. Check with your provider and your modem.

If they support it you only need to buy a single adapter per device you want to hook up( or use a switch like me if devices are close), your router will act as one.

The filters come with each adapter. They are imlortant to keep your signal from back bleeding into the Wide Area Network.

You dont have to pay anything once you buy them. They are yours to use.

I use two of them, with a 4 port switch on each. One in my basement on a 4k set and PS4 and one on 4th floor on a 4k set and PS4.

They are amazing as the coax is a fat copper pipe so I get full network speed, and they take 4 bandwidth hungry devices off my wifi. PSNOW works fantastic as does all video apps on my TV, instant loading and streaming.

Directions will be included and they are easy to hook up. If you get them you might want to see if 3.0 is available yet to future proof.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I can live without that over 9000 SSD, without that game changing controller and with 0,5>0 first party launch games. But enough is enough, XSX preorder canceled!

gamerhk

Neo Member
probably Sony over engineer the PS5 , i can just get better with a wire, why do i pay more for wifi6 ?
Console is not a mobile devices, you wont move it around.

Did Playstation really offer cutting edge components? I remember having to buy a network adapter a few years after I bought a PlayStation 2 in 2000. Dreamcast had a modem built in, 1999. Xbox had one built in, 2001. Oh and did ps1 have an analog controller back in 95?

Yall should be thankful that MS bothered to add Wifi, do you guys remember 360 Arcade edition (no wifi, no HDD )

As for Playstation, it always offered cutting edge components.

TBiddy

Wifi is absolutely not faster than wired, theoretically or not. What are you on about?

In the context of the consoles having a 1 Gbps ethernet interface and WiFi 6 theoretically supporting up to about 10 Gbps, yes, it's definitely faster. If we're talking about enterprise, fiber, etc., then no, wifi doesn't stand a chance.

What a load of shit.

What a well articulated response. What part of it triggered you enough to make a shitpost like that?

Zoro7

Banned
In the context of the consoles having a 1 Gbps ethernet interface and WiFi 6 theoretically supporting up to about 10 Gbps, yes, it's definitely faster. If we're talking about enterprise, fiber, etc., then no, wifi doesn't stand a chance.

What a well articulated response. What part of it triggered you enough to make a shitpost like that?
Because your post doesn’t deserve a well structured response. To say WiFi 6 has no benefit is crazy. So people who rely on WiFi and have multiple devices connected WiFi 6 makes the world of difference. It improves speeds and latency especially if you aren’t situated in the same room as the router. So please stop spouting your nonsense because your favourite box doesn’t have it.

Last edited:

nosseman

My guess is that more than 95% of the people that argues that this is a big thing and that the PS5 is better because of this is using wired or a Wifi5 router.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Nice extra, but it doesn't really matter

Kagey K

Banned
VRR and other HDMI 2.1 gains are more important than this, but I got told nobody owns tvs with HDMI 2.1 so why would they want this?

Suddenly those without routers love WiIf 6.

Surely that is more important than Variable Refresh Rates and Audio sync.

TBiddy

Because your post doesn’t deserve a well structured response. To say WiFi 6 has no benefit is crazy. So people who rely on WiFi and have multiple devices connected WiFi 6 makes the world of difference. It improves speeds and latency especially if you aren’t situated in the same room as the router. So please stop spouting your nonsense because your favourite box doesn’t have it.

It won't make a difference for consoles. Stop saying that, just because your favorite box has it.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot.
Idk how much the rest of you know about consoles architectures (I'm an expert) but Wi-Fi is not like Bluetooth, where everything sucks and nothing matters.
If you cheap out on Wi-Fi you bring shame to your console and need to repent.
If little Timmy hears about this disadvantage in Fortnite he will not buy Xbox anymore (this is HUGE).
Microsoft, upgrade the Wi-Fi in Xbox Seriex that unbalanced mess of a device or suffer the consequences.
srs.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
WiFi 5 - up to 3.5 Gbps
WiFi 6 - up to 9.6 Gpbs
That's almost 300%. But the real benefit of WiFi 6 is the number of devices you can connect without having problems. In 5-6 years near the generation end this might be an important feature.
We ain’t getting anywhere near needing those speeds for 10 years

FranXico

This is a huge fucking deal? No?
For day to day use, not really. You need a brand new faster router as well to take advantage of that.
It is promising for the possibility of a wireless PSVR2 headset though. But BGs BGs can't tell us anything about that...

Top Bottom