• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX vs PS5 TFlop delta is WAY overblown

CJY

Banned
**Please don't come in here to just say PlayStation fans are just butthurt**

What matters isn't the number, but the percentage difference between them.

The XSX has 17% more compute than the PS5 and this might lead to small graphical or resolution differences but in reality, those differences are likely to be absolutely minuscule. As NXGamer NXGamer said in his most recent video, the difference is far too small for developers to design a game around that 17% difference in TFlops. Simply turning on a 10% resolution scaling would negate any TFlops difference from one system to another. It's just not enough to make a tangible difference in how games are developed and how we as gamers will perceive those games on screen.

Diminishing returns is also a very real thing as we move up the resolution ladder. Any small momentary drops in resolution at 4K resolutions would push the limits of the perceptual ability of our eyes, meaning you probably won't be able to see these differences at all. Resolution scaling is not the only tactic devs can use to mitigate small differences in TFlops between systems either. They could use image reconstruction methods, CBR, or even limit framerates, which is something they're unlikely to do as a steady framerate is far more important than resolution. Every game engine across every platform will have dynamic resolution as standard next gen as this is a trivial thing to implement.

To further elaborate:

Compute
PS4 has 40% more compute power than the Xbox One (1.84 TFlops vs 1.31 TFlops)
XSX has 17% more compute power than the PS5 (12.12 TFlops vs 10.28 TFlops)

The performance delta is far smaller this gen than in last gen. Also, remember that each point difference means even less next gen due to diminishing returns.

Clocks
Xbox One GPU clocks are 6.6% faster than PS4 (853 MHz vs 800 MHz)
PS5 GPU clocks are 22% faster than the XSX (2.23Ghz vs 1.825GHz)

There's a lot to be said wide,slower vs. narrow,faster. What it really boils down to is how devs will use the power. When designing games, the characteristics of both approaches will be taken into account and the games designed accordingly. Either way, even in multiplatform games, the differences between more CUs or faster clocks will probably not be very apparent, if at all.

Storage
This gen, consoles have slow 5400RPM HDDs.

PS5 has 825GB SSD at 5.5GB/s
XSX has 1TB SSD as 2.5GB/s

PS5 has a 125% advantage here. I don't think there can be any argument here.

Memory
Xbox One has 8GB of DDR3 at 68.26 GB/s and just 32MB of eSRAM at 204 GB/s
PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 at 176.0 GB/s

XSX has 16GB of GDDR6, 10GB of which is at 560GB/s and 6GB of which is at 335GB/s
PS5 has 16GB of GDDR6 the entirety of which is at 448GB/s

So the PS5's ram is 34% faster than 6GB's of the Series X's, whilst 10GB of the Series X's ram is 25% faster than the PS5's.

Basically, the difference between the RAM this gen is nowhere near the vast gulf in memory performance as last gen and is pretty much a wash. The differences in RAM setup is similar to the GPU clocks here, but in reverse, which one is better? Hard to say. XSX has less but faster (narrow, faster) and PS5 has more but slower (wide, slower).

Sure, memory & storage don't have anything to do with compute power, but they are equally as essential to any computing system. I vastly prefer PS5s memory and storage setup. It's more refined, simpler, and more innovative, and the SSD is faster. I would take that over a slightly faster GPU. That's just me though and my opinion.

All this is to say that the performance difference between the PS4/Xbone was far, far greater than we're seeing between PS5/XSX, and while Xbox One hardly had any performance advantages over PS4 at all, we can see that PS5 has some very clear and obvious advantages over XSX, while in other areas, it falls just a tiny bit behind or downright matched. I'll leave it up to you whether you think any of those differences will affect your overall enjoyment of the games that will be produced, but no matter what way you swing it, the differences in compute performance are small to the point of irrelevancy. Also, I hope I've been able to highlight exactly why next gen is in no way a repeat of what happened at the beginning of this gen, but in reverse. Thanks

tl;dr Both consoles are beasts. TFlops don't matter.

hyperbertha

Yea like this is going to convince anyone. The thing is people overblowing this don't want to be convinced. The fanboy wars will continue.
Meanwhile games will have next to no noticeable difference in terms of resolution and framerate. Raytracing and asset streaming is what's going to make a difference next gen.

Last edited:
We simply don’t know the performance delta until several multiplats have been tested, the raw specs only give an idea. For example the Xbox One X performed even better than the paper spec difference between PS4 Pro suggested. So that could be the case again, or the PS5 might punch above its weight too.

Infact we probably have to wait longer because launch window games never take full use of the new hardware. Maybe by Holiday 2022 we will have some real answers.

CJY

Banned
Yea like this is going to convince anyone. The thing is people overblowing this don't want to be convinced. The fanboy wars will continue.
Meanwhile games will have next to no noticeable difference in terms of resolution and framerate. Raytracing and asset streaming is what's going to make a difference next gen.

I'm actually not trying to convince those who already have the unwavering mindset of "Moar TFLOPs = BETTER!!" but just to bring some clarity to those who are uncertain and unsure of what those differences mean.

Goliathy

Banned
rVPVK35.jpg

This is accurate if MS would do the same approach as Sony, but they don’t. Because it’s a nightmare.
this overclocking WILL create problems.
Why is Sony doing this? It has so many downsides. If TFLOPS don’t matter at all, why don’t they just stay at 9.2? Why are they risking so much?

also, this is a True spinning, mental gymnastics performance from your site:

Compute

Firstly, when does PS5 run both at all speed? It’s VARIABLE, not clocked, this is simply wrong what you are doing.

Also, why are you using percentages? Let’s look at RAW NUMBERS.

XBOX ONE vs PS4 = 0.53 TFLOPS difference.
PS5 vs SXS = ~2 TFLOPS difference, maybe even MORE.
This is HUGE. This is A LOT of raw power, more than a whole PS4.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hot take. I barely noticed the difference between Xbox One and PS4, and Pro and One X, if I’m going to be honest. Maybe the framerates on the former, way late into the generation?

There’s a lot of outcry for what probably amounts to two and half generations of games looking fundamentally identical in Digital Foundry videos.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I really don't care. Its becoming very annoying at this point

And I don't think most people on here suffers from learning difficulty

Also since the "difference is small" why do we need 1000 threads on the matter? And also making sure so hard for everyone to know?
If you have such a major problem with it, why don't you bring it up with a mod instead of junking up the thread? Don't like it? Ignore it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nope... why would there be tears?
Because why else would you participate in 16 000th thread on this topic, rather then it really bothers you...

Also since the "difference is small" why do we need 1000 threads on the matter? And also making sure so hard for everyone to know?
Because Playstation needs to keep winning, it's basically realisation that XSX has an power edge over PS5 and that's for some people causing emotional terror.

Because certain people are overblowing the differences like OP stated.
I saw way more people of downplaying this difference.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
If you have such a major problem with it, why don't you bring it up with a mod instead of junking up the thread? Don't like it? Ignore it.
So you decided to ignore my first post which provided REAL DISCUSSION and quote this one instead yeah? You're pathetic, you don't want to real discussion all you want is to TRY SO HARD to comfort yourself

I feel sorry for you with that absurd mentality. I am not going to report you but off to the ignore list since you don't add any value

rVPVK35.jpg

This is accurate if MS would do the same approach as Sony, but they don’t. Because it’s a nightmare.
Why is Sony doing this? It has so many downsides. If TFLOPS don’t matter at all, why don’t they just stay at 9.2? Why are they risking so much?

Firstly, when does PS5 run both at all speed? It’s VARIABLE, not clocked, this is simply wrong what you are doing.

We keep repeating the same topic over and over again for what? We haven't seen the performance of both consoles

We don't know how games will run with and without RTX. We don't know how first and third parties are going to tackle the new tech
Imagine the tears while writing this. I mean OP.
Serious question. If the difference is small why are you even talking about it?

Because why else would you participate in 16 000th thread on this topic, rather then it really bothers you...

Because Playstation needs to keep winning, it's basically realisation that XSX has an power edge over PS5 and that's for some people causing emotional terror.

All i can read from OP is damage control.

Blond

Banned
This is getting pathetic.

THE PS5 IS WEAKER THAN SERIES X

No amount of mental gymnastics will change that.

No amount of technical jargon about a console you haven't even seen in real world performance will change that.

No SSD will make the GPU faster, it will load assets faster but your GPU won't suddenly render graphics that it can't handle.

I'm still buying a PS5 because Microsoft games just don't interest me and I don't see it changing even with the studio acquisitions.

The extra power would be nice but like my X1X collecting dust under the TV, it doesn't matter how many TFs you have if there's nothing you want to play on it. I even bought Doom Eternal on PS4 just because I didn't want to bother with the 1Xs install process.

Last edited:

Ellery

Time will tell. In terms of hardware the xbox seems to be the more well rounded product and is faster on paper for gpu/ray tracing load, but it remains to be seen how third party developers will handle the situation, how they will utilize the hardware differences and how first party titles will compare.

There is a lot to factor in and we will see how they compare when the time has come and the consoles launch, what their prices are, what games they come with and how good some other components/feature actually are that we don't know yet like the PS5 Controller.

It is going to be an interesting time coming up, sadly we have the corona virus situation on our hands and that might affect things aswell. As far as consoles go I couldn't be happier with both offerings we have seen

CJY

Banned
So you decided to ignore my first post which provided REAL DISCUSSION and quote this one instead yeah? You're pathetic, you don't want to real discussion all you want is to TRY SO HARD to comfort yourself

I feel sorry for you with that absurd mentality. I am not going to report you but off to the ignore list since you don't add any value
Fair enough. I didn't respond to your first message because it's bullshit. It's not the same topic. It's a similar topic, yes, but a different perspective. Looked from a wide enough view, all topics are similar. It's a fucking GAMING forum.

You are not the judge of what should or shouldn't justify a thread. I am really sick of you junking up threads like you own the place and your dirt opinions and whining. Please do ignore me. Good riddance.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

The XSX has 17% more compute than the PS5 and this might lead to small graphical or resolution differences but in reality, those differences are likely to be absolutely minuscule. As NXGamer NXGamer said in his most recent video, the difference is far too small for developers to design a game around that 17% difference in TFlops. Simply turning on a 10% resolution scaling would negate any TFlops difference from one system to another. It's just not enough to make a tangible difference in how games are developed and how we as gamers will perceive those games on screen.

Diminishing returns is also a very real thing as we move up the resolution ladder. Any small momentary drops in resolution at 4K resolutions would push the limits of the perceptual ability of our eyes, meaning you probably won't be able to see these differences at all. Resolution scaling is not the only tactic devs can use to mitigate small differences in TFlops between systems either. They could use image reconstruction methods, CBR, or even limit framerates, which is something they're unlikely to do as a steady framerate is far more important than resolution. Every game engine across every platform will have dynamic resolution as standard next gen as this is a trivial thing to implement.

To further elaborate:

Compute

The performance delta is far smaller this gen than in last gen. Also, remember that each point difference means even less next gen due to diminishing returns.

Clocks

There's a lot to be said wide,slower vs. narrow,faster. What it really boils down to is how devs will use the power. When designing games, the characteristics of both approaches will be taken into account and the games designed accordingly. Either way, even in multiplatform games, the differences between more CUs or faster clocks will probably not be very apparent, if at all.

Storage

Memory

XSX has 16GB of GDDR6, 10GB of which is at 560GB/s and 6GB of which is at 335GB/s

So the PS5's ram is 34% faster than 6GB's of the Series X's, whilst 10GB of the Series X's ram is 25% faster than the PS5's.

Basically, the difference between the RAM this gen is nowhere near the vast gulf in memory performance as last gen and is pretty much a wash. The differences in RAM setup is similar to the GPU clocks here, but in reverse, which one is better? Hard to say. XSX has less but faster (narrow, faster) and PS5 has more but slower (wide, slower).

Sure, memory & storage don't have anything to do with compute power, but they are equally as essential to any computing system. I vastly prefer PS5s memory and storage setup. It's more refined, simpler, and more innovative, and the SSD is faster. I would take that over a slightly faster GPU. That's just me though and my opinion.

All this is to say that the performance difference between the PS4/Xbone was far, far greater than we're seeing between PS5/XSX, and while Xbox One hardly had any performance advantages over PS4 at all, we can see that PS5 has some very clear and obvious advantages over XSX, while in other areas, it falls just a tiny bit behind or downright matched. I'll leave it up to you whether you think any of those differences will affect your overall enjoyment of the games that will be produced, but no matter what way you swing it, the differences in compute performance are small to the point of irrelevancy. Also, I hope I've been able to highlight exactly why next gen is in no way a repeat of what happened at the beginning of this gen, but in reverse. Thanks

VRS alone will give XSX a 20 % boost on average across all games in addition to the 20 % TF advantage (could be 30 %, because it's only 20 % when PS5 boosts). The difference in power is massive this time, bigger than this gen. And if you add machine learning to the mix (Sony doesn't talk about it at all, except to calculate offline your ear size and audio output scheme) XSX will end up being twice as powerful as PS5.

CJY

Banned
VRS alone will give XSX a 20 % boost on average across all games in addition to the 20 % TF advantage (could be 30 %, because it's only 20 % when PS5 boosts). The difference in power is massive this time, bigger than this gen. And if you add machine learning to the mix (Sony doesn't talk about it at all, except to calculate offline your ear size and audio output scheme) XSX will end up being twice as powerful as PS5.
Maybe. Are you certain PS5 doesn't have VRS?

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
Perfect example of what OP is talking about.

"The difference in power is massive this time, bigger than this gen."
"Twice as powerful as PS5"

Maybe. Are you certain PS5 doesn't have VRS?
Its not a maybe dude, its pure bullshit.

Last edited:
Yep, 90% of third party devs will just lower the resolution a smidge for PS5 games and call it a day. With the reconstruction techniques we have now it will barely be perceptible. I think raytracing performance will matter a little more but that remains to be seen.

CJY

Banned
Perfect example of what OP is talking about.

"The difference in power is massive this time, bigger than this gen."
"Twice as powerful as PS5"

Its not a maybe dude, its pure bullshit.
Sure, it's possible that Xbox will have things that makes it far, far better than PS5. VRS being one of them. It doesn't matter to me. The point is just that TFlops don't matter.

Kagero

We keep repeating the same topic over and over again for what? We haven't seen the performance of both consoles

We don't know how games will run with and without RTX. We don't know how first and third parties are going to tackle the new tech
I personally hate the multiple threads as much as you do but this is well thought out and researched. It's good content and I'm sure there's a ;large group of people who appreciate it. I'm like you in the, " Wait and see camp". That's probably the only correct and logical answer. Sony guys trying hard to feel better and X bros celebrating too soon is a bad look.

Mista

Banned
I personally hate the multiple threads as much as you do but this is well thought out and researched. It's good content and I'm sure there's a ;large group of people who appreciate it. I'm like you in the, " Wait and see camp". That's probably the only correct and logical answer. Sony guys trying hard to feel better and X bros celebrating too soon is a bad look.
Plenty of other threads are well written too on the same topic and I suppose people should've learned by now

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
Sure, it's possible that Xbox will have things that makes it far, far better than PS5. VRS being one of them. It doesn't matter to me. The point is just that TFlops don't matter.
You already laid out out the differences in the opening post quite well. Why buy into magical software solutions pushed by xbox fanboys?

Armorian

Banned

Assuming CPU in PS5 is not that heavy used and GPU can run at full speed and all the difference in power between both consoles is used by devs to boost resolution on XSX it could look like this:

PS5 - 3200x1800
XSX - 3744x2106

This difference is not big at all and with Ai scaling similar to DLSS it will be hard to spot on 4K screen.

Of course that doesn't take memory speed differences into account but this shit is complicated with split RAM speed on XSX so I don't know how it will work :goog_unsure:

But all that power difference could be put entirely into performance and that would mean for example:

PS5 game runs in 50FPS

XSX game runs in ~59FPS

VRR will make the difference less noticeable on tvs that support that but on normal "Hz locked" displays XSX can have quite big advantage in games targeting 60FPS.

This is getting pathetic.

No amount of mental gymnastics will change that.

No amount of technical jargon about a console you haven't even seen in real world performance will change that.

No SSD will make the GPU faster, it will load assets faster but your GPU won't suddenly render graphics that it can't handle.

I'm still buying a PS5 because Microsoft games just don't interest me and I don't see it changing even with the studio acquisitions.

The extra power would be nice but like my X1X collecting dust under the TV, it doesn't matter how many TFs you have if there's nothing you want to play on it. I even bought Doom Eternal on PS4 just because I didn't want to bother with the 1Xs install process.

That's the perfect opposite of what we hear from devs.

Kagero

To further elaborate:

Compute

Clocks

Storage

Memory

Dude this is good content. Don't let the haters get to you. Thanks for this. So excited for the PS5!

Goliathy

Banned
Assuming CPU in PS5 is not that heavy used and GPU can run at full speed and all the difference in power between both consoles is used by devs to boost resolution on XSX it could look like this:

PS5 - 3200x1800
XSX - 3744x2106

This difference is not big at all and with Ai scaling similar to DLSS it will be hard to spot on 4K screen.

Of course that doesn't take memory speed differences into account but this shit is complicated with split RAM speed on XSX so I don't know how it will work :goog_unsure:

But all that power difference could be put entirely into performance and that would mean for example:

PS5 game runs in 50FPS

XSX game runs in ~59FPS

VRR will make the difference less noticeable on tvs that support that but on normal "Hz locked" displays XSX can have quite big advantage in games targeting 60FPS.

wait.. does PS5 support VRR, VRS, DLSS etc. ?

Time will tell, by the end of the year we will have lots of DF analysis articles comparing titles on both consoles, but I am afraid TFlops will matter, better hardware leads to better results, though there might be some exceptions e.g. the infamous RE3 demo.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
XSX will not even be in the realm of being twice as powerful than the PS5 smh

geordiemp

rVPVK35.jpg

Some over at the other site who knew what the fuck he was talking about explained it better to us numbskulls.

He said

99% of the time at 2.23 Ghz and 1 % at a 2 % lower clock is better than 100% at 1.9 Ghz constant.

Also its not about frenqucny only, its about amount of transistors and voltage squared x frequency.

Its hard to find people who know how stuff works and listen and learn something...rather than console warriors talking absolute shit, but keep fighting good warrior..

Last edited:
Top Bottom