• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX vs PS5 TFlop delta is WAY overblown

Blond

Banned
What exactly was I wrong about? that XSX has more compute? No man, that's a fact. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? No again.

Doesn't any of this matter? No :p

More CPU power
More GPU power
Means better looking and running games
Means that the Xbox exclusives will look better than the PS5s
Means that the console with up to a 4tf difference, at whatever price point they release it at, will be a better value than the PS5

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
More CPU power
More GPU power
Means that the console, at whatever price point they release it at, will be a better value than the PS5
how is it better value if price vs. performance will likely be identical? Not getting you.

CJY

Banned
That may be the largest delta in terms of numbers, but it's not the most important delta.
I'd rather have the higher memory bandwidth (560Gb/s vs. 448GB/s), followed by GPU (52 cores vs. 36 cores) then the I/O output.
Sure. Faster RAM and more compute is always gonna be better than less and more desireable than faster IO. I'm definitely not disputing that and I'm definitely not saying faster IO will "close the gap" like many are trying to suggest.

Last edited:

xviper

As gamers and not developers, i believe this bullshit should not concern us.

I'm sorry but if any person who decides on buying a console based solely on it's performance power and not the games available on it then that person is a moron and should not reproduce.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
That may be the largest delta in terms of numbers, but it's not the most important delta.

I'd rather have the higher memory bandwidth (560Gb/s vs. 448GB/s), followed by GPU (52 cores vs. 36 cores) then the I/O output.
"52 cores vs. 36 cores" :pie_eyeroll:
Give us the rundown which tangible real world performance differences we should from 52 cores vs 36 cores.

ruvikx

Banned
As gamers and not developers, i believe this bullshit should not concern us.

I'm sorry but if any person who decides on buying a console based solely on it's performance power and not the games available on it then that person is a moron and should not reproduce.

This is just crazy. For real. Someone might want the best console versions of Call of Duty, GTA & Elder Scrolls so he buys the console with the best specs without even knowing what next year's COD, GTA 6 (which is years away from now) or Elder Scrolls VI is going to be like. I bought the ps4 because it had better specs & I knew third party games would run better on it.

Call me a moron.

yurinka

I think the OP forgets two important points:

-PS5 GPU has higher frequency, which means those tasks that aren't related to the usage of multiple CUs will be faster than in Series X
-Compression: both consoles have dedicated hardware to decompress the SSD data that will be copied to the memory. Which means that the difference between SSDs is higher: PS5 copies 8-9GB of data in a second, Series X 4.8GB.

Why are people assuming 4k is the max res these consoles will output?
Both are confirmed to support 8K, but I assume AAA games will render natively at maximum 4K if they want to target 60fps or higher because it already requires a lot of horsepower specially if they will be using RT and crazy visuals. Then maybe they can use some upscaler as PS4 Pro had to turn it into 8K.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
"52 cores vs. 36 cores" :pie_eyeroll:
Give us the rundown which tangible real world performance differences we should from 52 cores vs 36 cores.

You going to pay for his time?

52 > 36

He can write a full page of info and you guys will continue to spin "ssd ssd ssd" . Just enjoy your 9.2 tf and move on if "its not a big difference".

I'm waiting for Lockhart (when revealed) is a 6TF machine so the base is weak, Xsx is irrelevant.
It's coming.

Well, I saw people writing that PS5 is so weak that it might hold next gen back....

What happens if Microsoft releases a 6TF console that needs to be supported through the whole gen?

It's a boomerang waiting to happen

• LOL
Reactions: CJY

CJY

Banned
Judging by the way people are talking about this SSD literally everyone.
I don't agree that everyone is saying that, but certainly anybody who is saying anything of the sort should be quickly brought down.

Based on you PS-centrism this gen, I guess I'm a little surprised that you're not more hyped about the SSD and how exciting that is for next gen. It's a true game changer in game design, but you're entitled to your opinion man. :messenger_peace:

Portugeezer

We mostly saw resolution differences (the classic 1080p to 900p), some games this gen didn't even have differences in resolution or performance, FIFA and other spots games come to mind, and games like the Crew.

I don't understand why developers choose parity some times (easier to develop for or to avoid resolution wars?), but next gen is even closer in specs so I expect the same but even to a lesser degree. It will be up to XSX exclusives to fully utilise the 12tf, especially in 2022 when MS will finally ditch developing crossgen for XBONE.

Reactions: CJY

Drewpee

Banned
Serious note to Sony fans - buy the PS5 and enjoy the hell out of it. You will be getting a great console with awesome games. You can legitimately claim fastest console and I am excited to see what Sony's first party can do with the new power.

Evilms

Banned
b84d57101953dde49f98b135c289ddb120200322140444.png

0% difference
5~25% difference
30~50% difference
55~75% difference
80~100% difference

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
More CPU power
More GPU power
Means that the console, at whatever price point they release it at, will be a better value than the PS5

That's purely subjective. Better performance doesn't equate to better looking and better looking doesn't equate to better tech. Art is probably going to weigh-in more than tech. And let's give Sony props here - their 1st party companies have some extremely talented artists.

CJY

Banned
-PS5 GPU has higher frequency, which means those tasks that aren't related to the usage of multiple CUs will be faster than in Series X

I didn't forget this point, just chose not to highlight it. I personally would take higher clocks over more CUs, especially if my cooling could handle it.

I've written in other posts how there will be many, many instances where PS5 will result in better performance than XSX, but I didn't want to stoke the fire more than I had to.

I can’t help but wonder what this forum would look like if Cerny had unveiled a 13tf kit.

At the end of the day I’ll be happy with the PS5 and XsX. I don’t think it’s unfair to point out the PS5 is weaker when it comes to processing and rendering.

Everything is gonna work out

Armorian

Banned
Assuming XSX is the "base" next gen (although it's more likely PC is), developers will get the XSX version running at its best settings, and PS5 would get the hand me down version.

Or honestly, they could just turn down some graphical settings and get both at 60fps but it will be obvious which version took more downgrades in the visual department.

I think PS5 will be the base version and once devs got that up and running the way they want they will add resolution/performance in XSX version. Just like many games this gen were 900p X1 on 1080p PS4, that was the difference with assets mostly the same.

Highly unlikely, basically expect a lot more dynamic res handling because maintaining a perfect 4k really isn't that important.
Thanks for your insight.

Both will be 4k60, one may be 85 % of the time with dymamic resolution, one 95 % of the time or whaetever depending on the game.

Hell dyamic resolution has been a think for ages., have you been under a rock ?

The blade of grass a mile away thanks you.

Yes series X is more powerful, but jesus the warriors and trolls....

Hell I play on a LG C7, and I cant tell difference between 1440p games, 1800p games and 4K in motion - I notice good HDR more though and 60 vs 30.

Yeah that was example for game running in the same resolution on both consoles and we know that won't be the case in majority of titles.

Blond

Banned
I can’t help but wonder what this forum would look like if Cerny had unveiled a 13tf kit.

At the end of the day I’ll be happy with the PS5 and XsX. I don’t think it’s unfair to point out the PS5 is weaker when it comes to processing and rendering.

Everything is gonna work out

I feel like it would be much more level headed because the delta between them would be so miniscule that the biggest difference between them would literally be the games vs sperging out over an SSD.

Blond

Banned
That's purely subjective. Better performance doesn't equate to better looking and better looking doesn't equate to better tech. Art is probably going to weigh-in more than tech. And let's give Sony props here - their 1st party companies have some extremely talented artists.

While true, Gears 5 is still the best looking game on either console, base or enhanced.

Evilms

Banned
The difference between the PS5 and the XSX will be less obvious than the one between the PS4 and the XBO, we go from 40% to only 15%.

SleepDoctor

Banned
The difference between the PS5 and the XSX will be less obvious than the one between the PS4 and the XBO, we go from 40% to only 15%.

Yup cuz the difference from 1.4 to 1.8 tf is way bigger than 12.1 to a variable of 9.2 - 10.2 tf lol.

Best case is a whole ps4 difference. Worst case is 3 tf weaker.

That math tho lmao

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Serious note to Sony fans - buy the PS5 and enjoy the hell out of it. You will be getting a great console with awesome games. You can legitimately claim fastest console and I am excited to see what Sony's first party can do with the new power.
SSD does not equate to speed, it wont magically turn your games into 120 fps.

CJY

Banned
SSD does not equate to speed, it wont magically turn your games into 120 fps.
Either is 17% extra Flops though in fairness. Games are not suddenly going to jump from 60 to 120.

I actually believe PS5 will have more games that run at 120fps simply due to VR, and Xbox aren't interested in VR.

llien

The XSX has 17% more compute than the PS5 and this might lead to small graphical or resolution differences but in reality, those differences are likely to be absolutely minuscule.

You are telling 2080 owners that they were to dumb to buy 2080 over 2070.

This is accurate if MS would do the same approach as Sony, but they don’t.
But can't OC big chip the way you can OC a small chip. All those oversized thingies by NV run at lower clock.

CJY

Banned
You are telling 2080 owners that they were to dumb to buy 2080 over 2070.

Nope, but 2080 if you can afford it. I probably would if I were deciding between the two.

But it's not a comparable situation to consoles where price, games, is a whole lot more important amongst other factors.

Games aren't as important on PC because they will run no matter what kind of GPU you have. Again, not comparable situations at all.

geordiemp

9.2tf don't magically become 15 because you can load data faster

Good trolling

Or have trouble reading, one of the 2.

Means that the console with up to a 4tf difference, at whatever price point they release it at, will be a better value than the PS5

Difference 4TF, I can confidently ignore everything you say and will not be diminished in what I learn.

Are you timdog ?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If you would have asked anyone on this forum before the specs were released if they would prefer a super fast SSD or better CPU/GPU, everyone would have said the latter. Now all of a sudden it's page after page of SSD speed and bandwidth nonsense.

The damage control is becoming laughable.

Last edited:

geordiemp

If you would have asked anyone on this forum before the specs were released if they would prefer a super fast SSD or better CPU/GPU, everyone would have said the latter. Now all of a sudden it's page after page of SSD speed and bandwidth nonsense.

The damage control is becoming laughable.

No, everyone would agree, its the 15 % advantage that becomes 4TF brigade that is funny or huge differences thats funny in the dimishing performance world of 4k resolutions.

But, I can say this, both will run 4k60 with dynamic resolution, and 15 % advantage of course will be better on Xbox, something like native 90 % of the time vs 80 % of the time. Hooray....

I play on a LG C7 and i cant see 1800p vs 4K native anyway, but if it means you win then be happy. But its the fanboys making stuff up thats funny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom