• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My biggest problem in the original metroid was the freeze beam and doing those fucking jumping bits. D: That was the one memory that still haunts me till today.

Kinda like the last level in double dragon with "attempting" to jump from one vanishing block to the next.

Coolwhip

Banned
I think it's not just kids. People have changed, mainly because of internet. In the past you would try to figure things out yourself. Or look it up in a book if you really couldn't solve it yourself.

Now your brain is trained to ask Google or people online seconds after you have a problem.

PKrockin

Again, this isn't just about asking for help because Super Metroid has somewhat unintuitive parts, but rather what the people in the OP are asking about.
You mean like all those people trapped right after that bomb tunnel? Well, they are trapped, if you assume those pits kill you like in other 2D games. But you and I already know Metroid has no instant death pits.

KingFire

Banned
My biggest problem in the original metroid was the freeze beam and doing those fucking jumping bits. D: That was the one memory that still haunts me till today.

Kinda like the last level in double dragon with "attempting" to jump from one vanishing block to the next.

Mine was this part:

Damn+Tube.jpg

Glass is breakable using one of the items; took me days to realize that.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think it's not just kids. People have changed, mainly because of internet. In the past you would try to figure things out yourself. Or look it up in a book if you really couldn't solve it yourself.

Now your brain is trained to ask Google or people online seconds after you have a problem.

Actually the problem is people dont ask google, they instantly run to a forum and ask instead of doing any sort of leg work themselves.

Google is fine if you actually know how to filter information properly.

WhyMe6

I forget what part those people are stuck on, but yeah, I don't think it was a hard part of the game, sure.

However, Super Metroid is a quite difficult game full of extremely obtuse "puzzles", some of which basically just require you to randomly attack the walls and stuff until you find what you need... yeah, I would not have ever finished it without a walkthrough. Way too much randomly hidden stuff you need to find, and the map isn't helpful for that stuff most of the time. I mean, it's great that it HAS a map, and it makes the game playable... but still, there's a lot of stuff in that game that there aren't really clues for. It definitely inherited quite a bit of Metroid 1 level design, and that's not something I like.

Sure, modern games are too linear, but the ideal is somewhere in between "just randomly look around until you maybe find it" and "the game holds your hand the whole way through". Super Metroid has some parts which are way too close to the former of those styles for me to have beaten it without guides.

This is sarcasm, right? The game has map and environmental cues to hint at hidden items and areas. Not to mention the X-Ray Scope. To say that it has random look around parts in it, like Metroid 1, in order to beat it...goodness me, that's *so* far off.

,,How do I beat this guy'' is king.

But seriously, this just shows how much this awful generation has damaged gaming. I'm glad at least something like Dark Souls has gotten somewhat of a mainstream success, among all this dumbed down shit for ,,hardcore gamers'' (aka 15 year old dudebros that praise all the words of the Dorito Pope)

sakipon

True. On one hand it's great there's help and information available nowadays. Yet I'm not sure if giving up that quickly is good for your brain and development.

PKrockin

,,How do I beat this guy'' is king.

But seriously, this just shows how much this awful generation has damaged gaming. I'm glad at least something like Dark Souls has gotten somewhat of a mainstream success, among all this dumbed down shit for ,,hardcore gamers'' (aka 15 year old dudebros that praise all the words of the Dorito Pope)
Am I crazy or isn't that the Chozo statue you actually do have to fight?

neto

Wow not sure if trolling or they are really stuck, I don't blame them Super Metroid its not an easy game, but really? if you tried to crawl I'm sure you pressed down a lot of times and that would have activated the morphball or that's what at least I would have tried

PKrockin

Wow not sure if trolling or they are really stuck, I don't blame them Super Metroid its not an easy game, but really? if you tried to crawl I'm sure you pressed down a lot of times and that would have activated the morphball or that's what at least I would have tried
Someone totally new to Metroid might not know that a Morph Ball is a powerup that allows Samus to roll into a ball. And since they probably don't know the game came with a virtual manual I don't blame them for being confused.

KarmaCow

You mean like all those people trapped right after that bomb tunnel? Well, they are trapped, if you assume those pits kill you like in other 2D games. But you and I already know Metroid has no instant death pits.

How could they have possibly made it that far not realizing that an opening without a visible bottom isn't an instant death pit?

But even if they somehow were thinking that, then just try it! Just because you die in the video game doesn't mean you die in real life.

Someone totally new to Metroid might not know that a Morph Ball is a powerup that allows Samus to roll into a ball. And since they probably don't know the game came with a virtual manual I don't blame them for being confused.

Alright, it's weird that the morph ball upgrade notification doesn't tell you how to use it like other power ups but you really don't have many options in that scenario. You press down to get Samus to crouch and that isn't enough so you press down again to try to get lower. That scenario usually happens within a minute of experimenting.

neto

You are right, maybe its just me, but why don't try every button multiple times? or take a leap of faith if there is a pit and you are not sure of where to go, or shoot everything, that is what I love about Super Metroid, the exploration, the satisfaction of finding a secret, its really a rewarding experience

Nugg

I was totally new with Metroid once. Hell I was like 8. I still had the common sense to try and press "down" a couple of times, see what happens.

Eusis

Again, this isn't just about asking for help because Super Metroid has somewhat unintuitive parts, but rather what the people in the OP are asking about.
Honestly, this stuff is during the phase of the game where you're still grasping its logic. By the time they go into Brinstar proper they'll be bombing every suspicious surface they see.

eot

Banned
It's not strange to get stuck in Super Metroid, of course no one will know exactly what to do the first time, but it's weird to post images screaming for help like a five year old instead of trying to use your problem solving abilities. Figuring out what to do is half the joy.

Eusis

It's not strange to get stuck in Super Metroid, of course no one will know exactly what to do the first time, but it's weird to post images screaming for help like a five year old instead of trying to use your problem solving abilities. Figuring out what to do is half the joy.
Is it REALLY that bad though? They're sticking with the game, and it gets the community active and working together, if something like this seriously works without a bunch of condescending comments it could be the kind of thing to allow more hardcore, tricky games to catch on again.
We got Pauly to respond!!!

7uuuKr0.png
Heh, a guy.

Though to be fair not only is Samus normally a male name but guy CAN be gender neutral. The football comment makes me laugh though, I kinda want to watch his running commentary for stuff like that alone.

Robin64

Good for them, asking for help rather than giving up. Let's educate instead of point and laugh, eh? We have a chance here to give a new generation one of the best experiences in gaming.

I don't want to mock people who are having trouble at this game, but the prospect of people not realising Samus is a girl, and not called Metroid, twenty odd years after the fact is hilarious.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pffft.

I am perfectly willing to bet that if Miiverse or equivalent has been invented during the times of SNES, a lot of you would be acting the same way too out of frustration :p

Eusis

Pffft.

I am perfectly willing to bet that if Miiverse or equivalent has been invented during the times of SNES, a lot of you would be acting the same way too out of frustration :p
"
HOW DO I GET OUT OF TOURIAN
!?"

... Oh man that one's NOT a mistake on our parts. :(

Margalis

Banned
Pffft.

From what I understand of GAF NES Miiverse would be 95% pictures of a bird flying at a ninja with the caption "I can't pass bird hlp."
-
I once called Nintendo hotline to ask how to beat the last boss of The Immortal. The guy knew right away too.

Eusis

From what I understand of GAF NES Miiverse would be 95% pictures of a bird flying at a ninja with the caption "I can't pass bird hlp."
-
I once called Nintendo hotline to ask how to beat the last boss of The Immortal. The guy knew right away too.
Oh man I can't wait until they put Ninja Gaiden up.

... I should check the Solomon's Key community.

Rich!

I don't want to mock people who are having trouble at this game, but the prospect of people not realising Samus is a girl, and not called Metroid, twenty odd years after the fact is hilarious.

Especially considering the opening intro text.

"The last metroid is in captivity"

LOL THE MAIN CHARACTER IS IN PRISON OR SOMETHIN I GUESS. THEY MUST HAVE KILLED THE REST OF HIS FAMILY SO HES THE LAST ONE

StevieP

Banned
The fuck?
What's with all the grumpy 80 year olds in this thread yelling at clouds and making fun of inexperienced players...

You guys are pathetic.

Not only yelling at clouds, but actively making fun of obviously young people discovering the difficulty that is many retro gaming experiences and actively discouraging it by ridiculous amounts of finger pointing and belittlement.

When I was a kid I couldn't speak or understand English, so I got stuck in Ocarina of Time for months.

You guys probably also got stuck in stupid places when you were kids. Don't blame this generation just because people now can publicly say that they are stuck.

If the internet existed back then I am pretty sure we would have seen a similar situation.

My friend who doesn't speak English as 1st language got stuck in OOT as well. He didn't understand the Owls clue about the Lost Woods and following the music and was lost in there for hours. In the end he called the Nintendo hotline.

Top Bottom