• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Y: The Last Man | Alas

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated

TRAILER

Summary​

Based on the critically acclaimed DC Comics (Vertigo) series from writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra. A mysterious event kills all mammals in the world with a Y chromosome save for one man, Yorick Brown, and his pet monkey Ampersand. The story follows the duo across a post-apocalyptic world struggling to reshape itself in a new reality without men

Cast​

Ben Schnetzner - Yorick Brown
Aspiring escape artist, the last man on Earth​
Olivia Thirlby - Hero Brown
Yorick's sister, NYC EMT
Ashley Romans - Agent 355
Agent of the Culper Ring
Diane Lane - Jennifer Brown
The mother, Congress woman
Amber Tamblyn - Kimberly Cunningham
Thinly-veiled parody of a certain daytime TV co-host
Elliot Fletcher - Sam Jordan
Some person following around Hero

The first three episodes were released on September 13th, 2021. Additional episodes air Mondays on Hulu:

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
They're trans, and yes there were some in the comics as well.

Did you even read the comic? Because it didn't feature any trans characters.
Sam Jordan didn't exist in the comics either. On occasion Yorick pretended to be trans to hide that he's male, but that's it.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis
At what point does the entertainment industry stop making dystopian "entertainment?? And who in the world is still watching these things when reality is depressing enough? I'd rather watch a random episode of Three's Company than this trash.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
Did you even read the comic? Because it didn't feature any trans characters.
Sam Jordan didn't exist in the comics either. On occasion Yorick pretended to be trans to hide that he's male, but that's it.

Yes, I read the comics. There were a few instances of trans background characters but none were major characters. It was also mentioned at least once that transgendered men still exist, but that all transgendered women perished.

So yea I know about the rest of what you mentioned.

Reactions: sol_bad and Ailynn

El Pistolero

May 21, 2020
They are probably going to erase all traces of the transgressive/provocative aspects of this excellent comic, or, even worse, might invert them, betraying the spirit of the series. I would be shocked otherwise...

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
I'm not really feeling the show. Agent 355 related stuff is awesome, that actress gets good scenes and is playing everyone like a fiddle. But Y is a beta cuck and it is infuriating. His mom and all her political drama is crass, low brow, and as subtle as a dump truck. I kinda hope the "old guard GOP" ladies sweep her right out.

They sorta acknowledge that without men all the important infrastructure shit almost immediately falls to pieces. But it doesn't feel like they acknowledge it enough, or how incredibly lopsided it now is. There are only tangential things like how half the population remaining is incapable of clearing the dead or organizing in any meaningful way.

I wish this was a "competent humanity bands together to solve an existential crisis" but it looks to have a lot of juvenile interpersonal drama that doesn't interest me. I wanted to see folks figure out how they are gonna survive without mammals in a few years/decades even if humanity persists, the cascade effect of no truck drivers and how hard it is to bootstrap women into those roles, medical/scientific folks really thinking about what happened, especially since we are living in a somewhat mini version of it right now.

But nope. Just every woman in a shitty relationship so who cares that that douchebag hubby is dead or "I'm so sorry I cheated with your hubby, hope you feel better now 'cause I sure do!". The transmen whining that they now have to explain what they are AGAIN....oh NO'S! And Y.....fuck that guy. All I want is for Agent 355 to slap him silly and give him the Bruce Willis "Cowboy the FUCK UP!" speech from "Tears of the Sun" since his momma is too pussy to do it.

Feb 7, 2012
Christ i put this one....i just wante to watch something interesting....no right away its filled to the brim with cartoon character nonsense....its like....ive never seen the writers but i bet i know what their twitter accounts look like

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
I'm liking it so far. Sure it's another apocalypse show, but at least the main hook is unique enough. Haven't read the source material so I can't say if it is at all faithful. Yorick is a little too whiny and out of touch with the brutal reality he's in, but I have hopes that the character will improve as time goes on.

Reactions: Ailynn

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
I'm liking it so far. Sure it's another apocalypse show, but at least the main hook is unique enough. Haven't read the source material so I can't say if it is at all faithful. Yorick is a little too whiny and out of touch with the brutal reality he's in, but I have hopes that the character will improve as time goes on.

They've made a few radical departures, especially with his sister Hero and how rapidly the plot moved along. I get why they did so for the format of television but I wish they hadn't.

As for Yorick, he changes as the story goes along, opens up. But in the meantime remember what Hamlet said about poor Yorick.

Reactions: Ailynn and sol_bad

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
Hang on, this show "rapidly moves the plot" compared to the comic? Wow. I thought the show took a glacial pace considering the thing I think most viewers care about is WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!? and not "Look, they are gaslighting an old lady to hide the SAVIOR OF HUMANITY!" drama nonsense.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
Tennessee, USA
If I remember correctly from the comics...Yorick gets way more more mature, responsible, and all around more likeable as the story progresses, everyone. :)

Also, I think the trans men being alive is a very interesting side element. Being a transsexual woman myself...if the story were real, I would have perished along with every male because of my chromosomes. Estradiol and surgeries can work small miracles, but that pesky Y chromosome is quite the tenacious little burden.

Last edited:
Reactions: BadBurger

dorkimoe

Aug 19, 2007
So if i am understanding what I am seeing, the trans man lived which basically proves that just because you change identities doesnt mean you defy science and your chromosomes. era going to have a FIT.

So far its ok, nothing great, will keep going to see how it plays out, but yeah lots of whiny characters.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
Hang on, this show "rapidly moves the plot" compared to the comic? Wow. I thought the show took a glacial pace considering the thing I think most viewers care about is WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!? and not "Look, they are gaslighting an old lady to hide the SAVIOR OF HUMANITY!" drama nonsense.

Yea, in the comics a whole lot more interesting and entertaining stuff happened before he reunited with his mother, Hero went through a far more interesting arc after her introduction, and Yorick and others pondered on the origins of the calamity (I won't spoil any of the possible causes).

Basically, I was really enjoying it through the first two episodes despite the departures from the source, but once I was done with the third I reigned back my expectations a great deal.