• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Yahoo! is a piece of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Member
Jun 7, 2004
58,286
1
0
For some reason that is still unknown to me my Yahoo! email account was suddenly terminated a few days ago. This account has been my main email account since the late 90s and I get the feeling that even when it is reactivated all of those emails and contacts will be lost forever. I contacted their customer support and they sent back a vague email that I violated the their TOS, though never specifying how or why. I have been going back and forth with their support staff, who it takes 1-2 days for them to reply back to me and so far no one has given me an answer as to specifically why my account was deleted or when/if it can be recovered. Unless Yahoo! can some serious dick massaging over the next 24 hours to make me feel confident in this never happening again I feel confident in saying that I will be Google only from now on (this is where GAF will tell me I should have done that 5 years ago).

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? And shouldn't they give me a heads up before any unilateral deletion of an account with an email or message or some sort of notice beforehand?

I already have a Gmail account which I will probably shift to permanent, but is there anything better out there?
 

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Jul 4, 2006
32,306
0
1,210
So what did you do?


*my problem with Yahoo is that horrendous redesign. Fucking UGGGH! :(
 

gnarkill bill

Member
Apr 25, 2007
2,238
0
0
Same thing happened to me last week. I dont really use the account for much anymore so I havent really looked into it but it was my main one for a good 4-5 years. I have no idea what I did.
 

numble

Member
Apr 22, 2007
28,682
0
0
bionic77 said:
For some reason that is still unknown to me my Yahoo! email account was suddenly terminated a few days ago. This account has been my main email account since the late 90s and I get the feeling that even when it is reactivated all of those emails and contacts will be lost forever. I contacted their customer support and they sent back a vague email that I violated the their TOS, though never specifying how or why. I have been going back and forth with their support staff, who it takes 1-2 days for them to reply back to me and so far no one has given me an answer as to specifically why my account was deleted or when/if it can be recovered. Unless Yahoo! can some serious dick massaging over the next 24 hours to make me feel confident in this never happening again I feel confident in saying that I will be Google only from now on (this is where GAF will tell me I should have done that 5 years ago).

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? And shouldn't they give me a heads up before any unilateral deletion of an account with an email or message or some sort of notice beforehand?

I already have a Gmail account which I will probably shift to permanent, but is there anything better out there?
Some Nigerian scammer got your password and used it to try to scam people in your address book? This happened to my gmail account.
 

jmdajr

Member
Dec 12, 2006
58,999
1
0
got locked of my hotmail account.... it's been hell trying to get it back.

no phone support sucks!
 

SUPREME1

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
16,765
0
0
Los Angeles, CA - WEST SIDE!!!
That sucks. We almost lost out Yahoo! account as well a few months back.

We decided to cut our landline phone service, but leave the internet service. When doing so, SBC discovers that our email account is tied to our previous residence's phone number (dead for 3 years) and says we can no longer keep it. : \

I ask them why and they say because we are no longer have the phone line originally associated with that email account.

I tell them we moved 3 years ago and have had no issues with it... ever. We even had that old line cut and opened this new one, which we are now cutting... 3 years later.



I gave up, let my wife deal with it. Somehow they cut our email account but were able to migrate the emails into our new email account.... WHICH WAS THE EXACT SAME EMAIL ADDRESS.




I just got pissed off again just typing that.
 

Baker

Banned
May 5, 2006
8,715
0
0
Is it even possible to use yahoo for email anymore?

If I login to my account, I'm just greeted with 20,000 spam messages from the year 2038 and shit. I wouldn't even want to think about keeping all that cleared out to use it as a legit communication tool.
 

bionic77

Member
Jun 7, 2004
58,286
1
0
PantherLotus said:
So what did you do?
The fuckers at their horrible customer service won't tell me. They just send me a link to their TOS.

numble said:
Some Nigerian scammer got your password and used it to try to scam people in your address book? This happened to my gmail account.
I assumed that this is what happened but no one complained of any fishy emails from me so I am at a loss but I am getting incredibly annoyed with Yahoo!. Enough that my cheap ass would pay for an online email account to avoid this sort of bullshit.
 

weepy

Member
Jun 2, 2006
3,622
0
0
LA
Yahoo mail is a joke. If I wasn't so lazy I would forward all that mail to my gmail account.
 

AirBrian

Member
Jun 7, 2004
14,839
1
1,545
i182.photobucket.com
I've had a Yahoo! account since the mid-90s and have not have any problems. I used to get like thousands of junk email in my spam folder, but it's gotten a lot better in the past year or so and it's now around 200 at any given time.
 

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Feb 23, 2007
51,878
0
0
GG-Duo said:
That's the least of his worries if he even was able to backup his address book. His bigger worry is switching over all the websites -- like online banking, forums, phone account, etc etc -- to his new email address and then informing others of his new email address. That's the pain in the ass of it all.

I hope you remembered all your passwords.
 

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apr 16, 2007
37,195
2
0
There
reilo said:
That's the least of his worries if he even was able to backup his address book. His bigger worry is switching over all the websites -- like online banking, forums, phone account, etc etc -- to his new email address and then informing others of his new email address. That's the pain in the ass of it all.

I hope you remembered all your passwords.

Setup forwarding and fix the ones you remember.
 

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Feb 23, 2007
51,878
0
0
MThanded said:
Setup forwarding and fix the ones you remember.
How is he supposed to setup forwarding when his account has been deleted?
 

bionic77

Member
Jun 7, 2004
58,286
1
0
BowieZ said:
Genuine question: under what circumstances did so many people come to end up using that shitty mess of a site?
There was a time when it was the best option available.

AstroLad said:
bionic you should know that yahoo is for fantasy sports use ONLY
I pretty much don't use Yahoo! for anything else, but I have had that account for such a long time that it was a pain in the ass to switch it to something else.
 

jamesinclair

Banned
May 13, 2005
26,049
1
0
Ive never had a problem with their email but i did have tod eal with their customer service once. It was hell.



"Hi, Im having (incredibly detailed explanation of problem)"

Thank you for contacting yahoo, have you tried our FAQs?

"Yes I have, it talks about Y problem, but I have x problem"

Thank you for contacting yahoo, to solve y problem follow these steps

"DID YOU NOT READ MY EMAIL I HAVE X PROBLEM"

Thank you for contacting yahoo, so solve z problem, try this

"I DONT HAVE Z PROBLEM AHHHHHHHH"

Thank you for contacting yahoo, are you content with the level of service provided?
 
Jun 22, 2009
975
0
0
Hood River, OR
You're the 3rd person I've seen describe this exact same problem... Both of the other two couldn't retrieve any of their old information as Yahoo had deleted it all.

Solution? Don't use Yahoo.

Suggestion to others... If you're still using Yahoo, migrate all your shit to Google right now and never go back. You won't be sorry.

Edit: Haha! Right after I finished typing that a Yahoo commercial came on the tv...
 

Double D

Member
Jun 28, 2006
6,855
0
0
I was hoping this would be a bitch thread about this year's statracker. It's shitty, in case anyone was curious.
 

bionic77

Member
Jun 7, 2004
58,286
1
0
AirBrian said:
Yahoo! mail is nice on the iPhone though.
Yes it is. One of the many reasons I continued to use it.

Commodore_Perry said:
You're the 3rd person I've seen describe this exact same problem... Both of the other two couldn't retrieve any of their old information as Yahoo had deleted it all.

Solution? Don't use Yahoo.

Suggestion to others... If you're still using Yahoo, migrate all your shit to Google right now and never go back. You won't be sorry.

Edit: Haha! Right after I finished typing that a Yahoo commercial came on the tv...
Fuck. I am going to be pissed if everything is gone (which I fully expect to happen). And I echo the other poster's complaints about Yahoo's customer service. For such a large company their customer service is laughably bad. Even worse than dealing with Comcast...
 

numble

Member
Apr 22, 2007
28,682
0
0
bionic77 said:
Fuck. I am going to be pissed if everything is gone (which I fully expect to happen). And I echo the other poster's complaints about Yahoo's customer service. For such a large company their customer service is laughably bad. Even worse than dealing with Comcast...
Customer service level increases the more money you pay the company, its not based on the size of the company.
 

SolsticeZero

Banned
Dec 31, 2008
11,334
0
0
Texas
Gmail for the win. Seriously, they've never given me a single problem, and I can easily sync it to my Google Maps and Google Calendar. Not to mention it comes built into my G1.
 

SmokeMaxX

Member
Apr 3, 2009
7,688
0
0
fistfulofmetal said:
Oh, what ever will Yahoo ever do without your free email account taking up space in their servers!

Cry as their market share continues to plummet? You know that Google owns like 10% of the internet right?
 

tak

Member
Dec 25, 2006
4,006
0
0
I got locked into Yahoo you a long time ago, but I'm honesty not to mad about it. Yahoo has been pretty god for me, and I like their web interface for accessing mail. I don't get a lot of spam either.

My only complaint is that they used to have advertisements on the bottom of the emails, but they stopped doing it awhile back.
 

sca2511

Member
Dec 21, 2007
3,396
0
1,005
CA
weepy said:
Yahoo mail is a joke. If I wasn't so lazy I would forward all that mail to my gmail account.
too bad you can't since you need Yahoo! Mail Plus to enable forwarding.
 

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yahoo is a necessary evil if you been on the web for a while so I can't blame ya for staying. I have a bunch of groups and email accounts. Learned easily from groups they will and can axe an account or group for any BS reason at any point which is basically what their TOS allows. Sorry to hear but others said it best should've made the jump if it was serious email. Outside of private things I don't want mixing in with more real info that I keep on pc related to all email is usually done from some pop place or what I can get from various ISP I'm with excluding AOL.
 

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Mar 27, 2008
21,962
6
1,170
Fontana, California baby!
I've never had problems using Yahoo! mail and in fact, I've been using it since 02 or 03. Never had a problem. The reason why many people lose their accounts is probably because they don't log in. I think that's the reason. If it detects that you haven't used your account in a long time, it'll be suspended or terminated. It's dumb. Also, as far as spam goes, I never get any spam. Keep bugging them about it and complain. Hopefully your account is restored.
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,093
0
800
People still use Yahoo? They've been obsolete (esp with the shitty redesigns they do) since Google came to town. :|
 

Mashing

Member
Jun 7, 2004
10,984
2
0
Houston, Tx
How did I know this was about Yahoo mail. Because, the same thing happened to me. That's why. It didn't piss me off or anything (I use that account when I know I'll get spammed), but it was pretty unprofessional of them.
 

bionic77

Member
Jun 7, 2004
58,286
1
0
Rewrite said:
I've never had problems using Yahoo! mail and in fact, I've been using it since 02 or 03. Never had a problem. The reason why many people lose their accounts is probably because they don't log in. I think that's the reason. If it detects that you haven't used your account in a long time, it'll be suspended or terminated. It's dumb. Also, as far as spam goes, I never get any spam. Keep bugging them about it and complain. Hopefully your account is restored.
I have been using yahoo mail for a long ass time dude, probably since 1996 or 1997. I remember when the limit was in megabytes and that seeming generous. I switched to Yahoo once Microsoft started to give out Hotmail addresses and raping people with spam. I was definitely not terminated for lack of logging in. I check my multiple email accounts daily and this particular Yahoo account is linking with my iPhone. I also have a Gmail and work email but I continued to use Yahoo a lot because a lot of things were linked with it and most of my college and high school buddies know that email (and I liked the fact that it pushes instantly to my iPhone).

The whole situation is bullshit. Even if I somehow did violate the TOS or someone hacked into the account Yahoo should have sent me a fucking warning email or given some sort of warning before going straight to deletion. This is enough bullshit for me to consider paying for an email account if I was guaranteed not having the aggravation of dealing with this bullshit.

Even if Yahoo does somehow right everything and restore my email account and contacts I won't ever trust the bastards again and I will badmouth them every chance I get. It also appears just from this thread that this is not an isolated incident and if that is the case Yahoo is just speeding up the process of its inevitable demise.
 

Baconbitz

Banned
Apr 4, 2008
4,172
0
0
bionic77 said:
Yes it is. One of the many reasons I continued to use it.


Fuck. I am going to be pissed if everything is gone (which I fully expect to happen). And I echo the other poster's complaints about Yahoo's customer service. For such a large company their customer service is laughably bad. Even worse than dealing with Comcast...
That can't be possible. I hate there phone service. Oh and I suggest what the others have suggested. Gmail. Best solution out there besides paid email.
 

bionic77

Member
Jun 7, 2004
58,286
1
0
Baconbitz said:
That can't be possible. I hate there phone service. Oh and I suggest what the others have suggested. Gmail. Best solution out there besides paid email.
It doesn't seem possible and yet Yahoo! found a way.

After about a week of me bitching to Yahoo's support staff and asking why they terminated my account I just received an email last night informing me that the account was reinstated and an apology. No reason was provided as to how I violated the TOS.

This bullshit is making me think I should get a paid email account. Any suggestions? I could always go the .mac route, but that seems grossly overpriced.
 

gamergirly

Member
Nov 17, 2004
10,287
14
1,475
"The South"
www.techpedition.com
AirBrian said:
I've had a Yahoo! account since the mid-90s and have not have any problems. I used to get like thousands of junk email in my spam folder, but it's gotten a lot better in the past year or so and it's now around 200 at any given time.

Exactly. Never had a single problem out of it. Of all emails......yahoo? But yeah the SBC Yahoo email is a whole nother deal
 
Status
Not open for further replies.