• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

So I've never played a Yakuza game, but I fucking LOVED Sleeping Dogs.

Is it similar to that? Should I jump in based on that alone, or is it a way different type of game?

Depends on what it is you loved about it. If you loved the heavy cultural aspect, the story and the combat then I can certainly see you loving this game too. However if you enjoyed the shooting or driving or the massive open world then you might be a bit disappointed.

This series is only slightly similar to Sleeping Dogs as there's a much greater emphasis on combat here and the game is much smaller in scale but more dense with tonnes of side quests and activities and minigames.

Try reading a few of the reviews in the review thread to see if it influences you. It's certainly a fantastic game and IMO it's worth giving a shot.

Xater

I am trying to find d Amusement Game You so I can buy it, but for the life of me I can not find it. Does anyone know where specifically it is located?

Does anyone know when the Angry Joe review will drop? I'm interested in seeing his final verdict because he seemed to be enjoying it more the further he got into it. A positive review from him might move extra copies.

IrishNinja

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Sega just started a twitter account for Yakuza a few days ago @segayakuza. Seems like they're really trying this time out.

already up to 2k subs too!

RE7 OT is up, does that mean Yakuza 0 OT is allowed?

Yup same release day, JUST DO IT

It'll be up soon :)

irish and cj, we're counting on you!

working on it as we speak! #BELIEVE

Way too many games honestly. I've barely started gravity rush 2 and here yakuza 0 comes. I'd honestly would've canceled 0 but I wanna make up for not purchasing 5.

yeah, and i had RE7 with GCU and part of the visa 25 off 100 promo for a killer deal. (37 after taxes) i made a mistake in the past on getting too many games at once and backlogging so many that i never got to them. i'm committed to Yakuza 0 and holding off on my weekly retro game expenses as well. (usually buy 2-3 retro games weekly)

already up to 2k subs too!
working on it as we speak! #BELIEVE
YUSSSSSSSSS

Peroroncino

The game is soooo fuckin' good, the refinements that went into combat system really shine through, especially that crunchy feeling you get when punching enemies.

giphy.gif

Guess I'll be back on GAF when OT drops! But now I'm gonna go back to enjoying this masterpiece.

Shredderi

Just ordered my copy. This is the only time in ages that I've bought two new games at the same time. I've got RE7 tomorrow with my pals and Yakuza 0 for myself when my friends leave.

SephLuis

Just ordered my copy. This is the only time in ages that I've bought two new games at the same time. I've got RE7 tomorrow with my pals and Yakuza 0 for myself when my friends leave.

Trust me when I say this, play Yakuza 0 with your pals.

Or play alone the first Kiryu part and play the Majima section with them. Get some drinks.
Trust me on this.

Dominator

Since now I have extra credit on my PSN account I'm debating this...

I've never played any of them, and I assume this takes place before all of the others so is this a good jumping off point? Then go right into Kiwami?

Will it be awkward to play the 2nd game from PS2 as its so old compared to the others now? Just want to get an idea here.

Anung

Un Rama
30 hours in and loving it. I just love how it can go from gripping drama to OTT action to hilarity at the drop of a hat.

Shame I'll need to take a break to start RE7 when it arrives tomorrow.

Since now I have extra credit on my PSN account I'm debating this...

I've never played any of them, and I assume this takes place before all of the others so is this a good jumping off point? Then go right into Kiwami?

Will it be awkward to play the 2nd game from PS2 as its so old compared to the others now? Just want to get an idea here.
The title of the OT is "Yes, you can start with this one".

Yes, this is a great point to get into the series, then head straight into Kiwami.

Heading back to Y2 will be a bit of an adjustment but it's honestly not that bad. If you really can't do it then just going from Y0 to Y:Kiwami to Y6 is certainly doable. The stories are mainly stand alone and don't influence each other much if at all.

Dominator

The title of the OT is "Yes, you can start with this one".

Yes, this is a great point to get into the series, then head straight into Kiwami.

Heading back to Y2 will be a bit of an adjustment but it's honestly not that bad. If you really can't do it then just going from Y0 to Y:Kiwami to Y6 is certainly doable. The stories are mainly stand alone and don't influence each other much if at all.
I know I can story wise, but my point is if it will be jarring moving backwards to the older games. Glad to hear its not that bad.

I won't want to skip any as my OCD won't allow me too. I can play them out of order but I can't just skip entries. Thanks for the reply.

I know I can story wise, but my point is if it will be jarring moving backwards to the older games. Glad to hear its not that bad.

I won't want to skip any as my OCD won't allow me too. I can play them out of order but I can't just skip entries. Thanks for the reply.

You should be fine with 2. I've got my issues with the PS2 version of 1 (mainly down to certain issues with controls, lack of heat moves and such) but 2 fixed those issues with far better controls and tons of heat moves (and if you want to fight the secret bosses in 2 you'll need to pull them all off!). Apart from the fixed camera angles in 2 which might seem a little strange compared to the rest of the series I'm sure you'll be fine.

bnx

Shiiiit, My tracking info says "Notice Left" now, but there's nothing at the post office...

your postman is playing your copy.

Edit: On a serious note, you can't pick up your package the same day that they leave the notice (at least from my experience). You should try again tomorrow.

Ewww...the original promotional material showing the business card holder made it look as if the designs were etched in the metal...a little disappointed that they just look like decals on a plain metal one, based on the unboxing vid.

I mean, I'll never use the holder for anything and would have still bought the game either way, haha.

Whoops, I put this in the old thread instead of the OT. I am best at NEOGAF.

Yooooo, someone was asking a few pages back for some cabaret tips, and I've sunk so much time into that thing that I feel like it'd be kind of a waste to just hold onto it forever.

If you haven't gotten that far in the game, this won't make a whole lot of sense, but for those of you dipping your feet into the incredibly addictive cabaret management minigame (Majima unlocks it in his second set of chapters), here's some cool ways to maximize it. You should pretty much skip this post though if you really want to figure the game out for yourself, which I also highly encourage.

TIPS FOR BEGINNERS
-Do some hiring! If you
sucked at scoping out Odyssey early in the game,
you'll end up with a default roster of 3 ladies, two bronzes and your platinum. This is not enough to bother playing the game with. Head to the shrine and spend some CP to insta-recruit some hostesses, or wander around town and buy luxury items from Le Marche.
-Do the substories! Some of the best hostesses are recruited from substories, including some that you'd least expect.
-Do the special training! You can level up your platinum hostesses with one round of special training between each running of the club. PS, the answer you think is right can sometimes bite you in the ass because of the Majima Factor™, so just answer honestly.
-Don't worry about the make-up and clothes stats! You do you, man. If you want your platinums to be beautiful in your own eyes or horrid combinations of makeup and hair, go for it. You'll account for the stat loss without having to worry about it.
-Don't overwork the girls! Always check your cast on duty. If the girls are showing "meh" face, give them a day off, or your stats will hurt for it.

THE GAME ITSELF
-A customer's gonna come in and you have ten nice long seconds to seat a hostess, and furthermore, when you're selecting a hostess, the clock is frozen. Take your time!
-Don't worry about stats and all that. It's all factored into the satisfaction level of the customer, and you're aiming for either the purple face (happiest) or the orange face (happy). Green "meh" face is acceptable, and any less than that could cause trouble.
-Hit all the "check please" and "help please" signals! This is how you do the shinogi. Each one you miss is a missed opportunity.
-Learn the hand signals!
Towel looks like wringing out a towel, the L is a guest glass, the "c" is a lady's glass, the thumb-to-pinky is ice refill, and the circle is ash tray.
If you aren't sure, wait a little, and she'll tell you straight up what she needs - you just won't get as big a bonus.
-Nailing the hand signal increases satisfaction! In this way, you can be perfectly fine to sit a customer with green or orange and raise it to purple. Ohhh yeah.

WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE CHECK PLEASE?
-Always go for the extension! Unless you have a reason to heal the girl (praise is free for light heal, gift costs money for nice heal) then even if they say "short session" you can tempt those suckers right into a free fever time.
-Keep gift costs down! I found that giving out gifts just ends up costing you money. Unless you're really hard up for fans or a girl's HP, don't waste your time with gifts. The "thank you" options are free and also slightly increase fans, which you should do when given no other option.

WAIT, FANS?
-The more fans you have, the richer your clientele will be! The richer your clientele, the pickier they are about the girls! See how that works?
-"Partnering" with the businesses outside the club increases the fans! Fan count progresses the story! Fans are key!

WHEN SHOULD I FEVER TIME?
So glad you asked. There are a couple ways to use fever:
-Did you just get forced to seat a girl at a sad or angry face table? Oh hell no, use Fever Time, and you MIGHT turn that table into a purple happiness cash train.
-The fever time bar has three tiers! Each tier increases the number of tables that will hit fever time, so weigh your options.
-Watch the clock! If you're down the last minute or so and you're sitting on 3 bars of fever, don't waste it!

I CAN'T BEAT THE CABARET CLUB BATTLE!
-Is one of the Five Stars giving you trouble? Your clientele isn't rich enough. You can power right those those attacks if you're smart about the game and saavy about the clientele.
-The AI will lose a lot of money in gifts. Don't be like the AI. (AI, not Ai, the hostess)

PRO TIPS
Ahhh, here we go.
-When you win a cabaret club battle,
you get a new platinum, and Youda gives you a bonus.
If you're smart, you'll roll your money straight into partnering with the next club's entire area, minus the property tied to the friendship. This is the fastest way to advance the story without running the club needlessly.
-Keep your cast well-rounded! Try to have someone high in each of the five stats - Party, Love, Talk, etc.
-Don't waste a plat! If your gold or silver hostesses is getting you an orange or purple face, use her! You'll be sad you sat a plat when someone comes in and literally REQUESTS that plat while she's talking to some poor dudebro. Use plats on your cash-money customers.

LET'S GET META
-When you sit a girl, she has a sit-down cool-down, where she introduces herself and bows and all that. SHE IS NOT EARNING during this time. She is ineligible for fever at this time. However....
if you get real good at timing it, you can skip the entire sitdown animation by assigning a girl and then jumping into a help please or a check please,
which gets you earning mo money mo fast.

I hope this helps. I really enjoyed doing the cabaret and finishing it gets you an incredible reward, which I won't discuss here -- but this is where Majima really shines as a character, and all the hostesses are great to interact with to. Have fun!

Top Bottom