• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I can't beat the blue dragon thing from Fantasy Zone.... dammit this game. The last completion point............. urgggh..... so brutal

Anjin M

Finally finished after almost 54 hours (only 36.36% complete). I've already added it to my 2017 GOTY list. What an amazing game. Such a great mix of drama and comedy. The tonal shifts shouldn't work as well as they do it, but they pull is off.

Glad I can finally click on the spoilers in here. :)

a1e.png

Seems like it. 😂

Btw. with how many fans did you guys beat Club Moon?
I partnered with all available businesses and have around 11k fans in the area.

Club Moon's the last one right? You need to have no story related activity going on at the Grand since events related to the business happen there at the end.

Just do the story missions until the next mission takes place somewhere else.

I already got the battle invitation from Club Moon.
I just thought about what would give me the best chances to beat them.
It's not the fans, it's more having your best hostesses as high a level as possible.

Also good usage of heat is imperative.

And place no importance on the bars showing both your progress when you compete. They're often unreliable.

Calabi

I've completed it, only took 80 hours barely half completed. I could write an essay about this game its so good. I mean its not perfect, but its one of the best games I've played in years.

So, what is everyone's favourite fighting stance?

Rush for Kiryu and Thug for Majima. They're the stances with the highest execution requirements and "game-sense".

Also hype as fuck when you finish a group of enemies without taking a single hit.

Bob-and-weave mothafucker.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Rush for Kiryu and Thug for Majima. They're the stances with the highest execution requirements and "game-sense".

Also hype as fuck when you finish a group of enemies without taking a single hit.

Bob-and-weave mothafucker.

I love Rush, is thug the one with the bat?

I love Rush, is thug the one with the bat?

No, that's Slugger. Thug is his Blue style.

For Majima:

Breaker is pink (breakdancing), Thug is blue (default stance) and Slugger is yellow (Bat and weapons).

For Kiryu:

Rush is pink (boxer), Brawler is Blue (his default, balanced style) and Beast is yellow (Fucking Hype)

Damn, I searched the thread and apparently, the search function ignores spoiler tags. How relevant is it
to know that I will have to fight two Amons (whoever these guys are, not met them yet)
?

Damn, I searched the thread and apparently, the search function ignores spoiler tags. How relevant is it
to know that I will have to fight two Amons (whoever these guys are, not met them yet)
?

Amon is the absolute last substory, unlocked after finishing all else.

They're a staple of the Yakuza series, I think they've been in every game. They're just INCREDIBLY CHEAP boss fights that are entirely optional and happen after completing all the optional sidequests.

If you don't want to read the spoilers, know that it does not spoil the main story in any way.

Markoman

Honest question: why hasn't Sega incorporated a 1vs1 or 2vs2 fighting mode into this series yet, or have they? Yakuza Power Stone style.

Honest question: why hasn't Sega incorporated a 1vs1 or 2vs2 fighting mode into this series yet, or have they? Yakuza Power Stone style.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point that sounds exactly like what the fighting arena is - series of 1 vs 1 fights against enemies, with some games even having the 2 vs 2 option present.

Unless you mean fighting past bosses as opposed to the characters they use in the arena? In which case you'd want the VR boss fights used in previous games, or just play the all star arena battles in Yakuza 3 which let you use Kiryu and another boss to fight other big bosses in the game.

But outside of 4, 5 and 0 (which feature multiple characters) and a couple of the Ultimate Battle fights in past games your always using Kiryu in the fighting arena.

ar4757

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point that sounds exactly like what the fighting arena is - series of 1 vs 1 fights against enemies, with some games even having the 2 vs 2 option present.

Unless you mean fighting past bosses as opposed to the characters they use in the arena? In which case you'd want the VR boss fights used in previous games, or just play the all star arena battles in Yakuza 3 which let you use Kiryu and another boss to fight other big bosses in the game.

But outside of 4, 5 and 0 (which feature multiple characters) and a couple of the Ultimate Battle fights in past games your always using Kiryu in the fighting arena.

I figured they meant local/online multiplayer battles

xclk07

Finally got "Just Beat It" trophy last night. It is ridiculous how easy the last four ultimate battles are compared to the 1st two.
Just the Legend playthrough to go.... about 70% done with story and CP. It's not utter insanity to want the plat to pop with a 100% playthrough, right?

xezuru

If anyone happens to have a screenshot of Sagawa with a shit eating grin I would appreciate it for avatar purposes.
Best I can find without coming home and booting up again.

Finally got "Just Beat It" trophy last night. It is ridiculous how easy the last four ultimate battles are compared to the 1st two.
Just the Legend playthrough to go.... about 70% done with story and CP. It's not utter insanity to want the plat to pop with a 100% playthrough, right?

It's still Yakuza fuckery, but it's probably one of the easier of the series.
If you're comfortable with rng / mahjong then this is probably one of the easier Yakuza games to plat, it's still Yakuza though.
My major blockers off the top of my head before I got platinum:
  1. Mahjong High point Hands
  2. JCC RNG for 3 perfect tournies
  3. Getting all the materials for crafting
  4. .
  5. .
  6. .
  7. .
  8. .
  9. 1-8? of Climax Battles
  10. Monotony of Phone Sidequests
  11. Batting
  12. Koi-Koi
  13. Getting Car Parts from DreamMachine

delume

Just finished this yesterday after the break for Zelda. Loved it! Found that when I focused on the main story missions I enjoyed it alot more, so started ignoring side quests from chapter 8 on. Turns out that this is one of those rare games where after completing the story I still feel like hitting the side stories I missed. This is due to the fact that they are predominantly surprising and/or hilarious. 😋

However, I now dream of a Yakuza HD collection for the Switch. Portable Yakuza? Yum!

Just finished this yesterday after the break for Zelda. Loved it! Found that when I focused on the main story missions I enjoyed it alot more, so started ignoring side quests from chapter 8 on. Turns out that this is one of those rare games where after completing the story I still feel like hitting the side stories I missed. This is due to the fact that they are predominantly surprising and/or hilarious. ��

However, I now dream of a Yakuza HD collection for the Switch. Portable Yakuza? Yum!

Not sure how likely a Switch port of any of the series would be, after Sega ported the HD remasters of 1&2 to the Wii U and it sold abysmally. Which is a pity, as getting another portable Yakuza game (the PSP ones rock) would be a dream come true for me (especially as the Switch is region free).

ferunnico

Neo Member
This is my first Yakuza game and I'm enjoying it a whole lot! Am I supposed to use different fighting styles in different situations, or can I just use the ones I like the most? I'm in chapter 6 now and so far I have only really used and upgraded Brawler and Slugger style.

Also, for the first I'm having difficulties with the combat. I'm at the point in chapter 6 where
you are being hunted by the Dojima family and there is a series of fights at every street corner
. I should probably block more, but I think you can only block attacks from one direction and I'm often surrounded. Even if I dodge and bring myself in a position where the attacks all come from one direction, I don't know when to stop blocking and start attacking. It seems like as soon as I stop blocking I get instantly hit and knocked down. I know there is probably something I'm missing, but it almost feels like there is nothing I can do and it's getting a bit frustrating.

Sagawa has the best bit of facial animation in the whole game. (
Quick look of exasperation passes over his face when he's invited to sit down by Shimano.
)

This is my first Yakuza game and I'm enjoying it a whole lot! Am I supposed to use different fighting styles in different situations, or can I just use the ones I like the most? I'm in chapter 6 now and so far I have only really used and upgraded Brawler and Slugger style.

Also, for the first I'm having difficulties with the combat. I'm at the point in chapter 6 where
you are being hunted by the Dojima family and there is a series of fights at every street corner
. I should probably block more, but I think you can only block attacks from one direction and I'm often surrounded. Even if I dodge and bring myself in a position where the attacks all come from one direction, I don't know when to stop blocking and start attacking. It seems like as soon as I stop blocking I get instantly hit and knocked down. I know there is probably something I'm missing, but it almost feels like there is nothing I can do and it's getting a bit frustrating.

Use Beast and tank the hits.

Just use whatever fighting style you like, you don't really have to alternate for the bosses/long battles.

jamsy

This has got to be one of the most long-winded games in existence. Conversations that should at worst take a couple lines (and at best should've been cut/edited out to begin with) are drawn out, long ass scenes that last 5, 10 or more minutes. This really fucks with the pacing, especially since most of the time, the story is fucking going nowhere as we listen again and again to characters ramble on and on about something we already were beaten down with earlier. This makes Kiryu especially a horrible protagonist, as I'm forced to listen to his monologues about his deluded sense of morals (which seems at odds with the very first scene of the game, for example).

I like the game and all, but come the fuck on. I don't need to listen to 10 hours of filler conversations while characters smoke and eat ramen.

I don't know, those filler conversations reveal more about the characters' viewpoints, goals and personality. It really makes them feel more "human".

Sagawa and Kuze would never be the characters that they are if it weren't for those long conversations.

Though I do agree that the pacing can definitely feel off but it just feels like a hallmark of the series at this point.

When fighting groups, Kiryu's Rush style works the best; use dodge to get yourself out of bad situations. Or Beast style, if there's a lot of objects around. Majima's Breaker style demolishes groups. And don't forget to upgrade your abilities.

This has got to be one of the most long-winded games in existence. Conversations that should at worst take a couple lines (and at best should've been cut/edited out to begin with) are drawn out, long ass scenes that last 5, 10 or more minutes. This really fucks with the pacing, especially since most of the time, the story is fucking going nowhere as we listen again and again to characters ramble on and on about something we already were beaten down with earlier. This makes Kiryu especially a horrible protagonist, as I'm forced to listen to his monologues about his deluded sense of morals (which seems at odds with the very first scene of the game, for example).

I like the game and all, but come the fuck on. I don't need to listen to 10 hours of filler conversations while characters smoke and eat ramen.

As lucebuce12 said, those downtempo scenes help to develop the characters and the relationships between them. It's not filler. This isn't a Van Damme movie or something. The only reason the pacing feels off to me is the switching between two characters in the early chapters. Later on it starts to flow better.

Regarding Kiryu, he's a yakuza. He's always going to be down for some rough-and-tumble stuff. But he also has a strong sense of justice and a kind heart. He's just a complicated guy, and is still trying to figure out what he wants to be.

"Coming November 12, a new film by Jim Jarmusch, Ramen and Cigarettes"

Majima spoilers/question for chapter 8

Is there more to do in ch 8 after meeting this random dude at the Grand? I won't be locked into switching to Kiryu after triggering that mission, right?

muteki

Defeated club moon and finally free from both Real Estate and Cabaret! Game really moves fast when you stick to story missions, even if it is a bit too much back and forth in Sotenbori though.

xezuru

Majima spoilers/question for chapter 8

Is there more to do in ch 8 after meeting this random dude at the Grand? I won't be locked into switching to Kiryu after triggering that mission, right?

I think it's the end of the chapter and potentially a character switch only if it warns you before entering the building.

xclk07

Does anyone have the link for the Yakuza auditions where the guy showed up and became the inspiration for Mr. Libido? I know it was posted in this thread at some point, but I can't find it here and I'm failing hard at Google/YT search as well. :-(
Edit: found it the second after I posted!
https://youtu.be/8zSe0aijX9Y

Top Bottom