• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 shows "PS4 Console Exclusive". Coming to PC? (Nah)

Peff

Sure. Things change all the time. I'm just cautioning that there's a difference between cautioning that PR shouldn't always be taken at face value and coming off like Jim Carrey with a "so you're telling me there's a chance!?" response and I fear you're coming dangerously close to the latter.

This is also kind of a weird situation in that if it were to happen it would basically be a one-sided affair by Sega of Europe and the team that keeps making the PC ports without much involvement from Atlus or Sega USA. I'm not so sure either side would necessarily be aware of what the other is doing given past history.

But hey, no harm in the ol' wait and see approach.

Nyoro SF

Here guys, this is from Sega:

While I do agree that PR is not trustworthy outside of giving direct, definitive information, this statement is pretty definitive. They don't give the usual fluff answer about "no intentions" or "no plans", etc., but they directly state a PC version is not in production.

Now it's possible for that to be a full-out lie, but that would surprise me quite a bit if it was.

Oh God that would be an amazing chance for Yakuza series to grow in the west.

Though, they might have changed it to that so people know that the PS3 version won't be releasing in the west :(

Third party games are going to expand to other platforms. I don't know why people are acting like this is suddenly new - if you were around for the PS2 era, it was constant. Dudes saying Xbox 1 would never get MGS2 got egg on their face.

But at the same time, if PR says it ain't comin', then expect it to not come. Better that than getting your hopes up or being straight up defiant.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
ShM8Pz9.jpg

Final European cover, note that it's no longer a 'provisional' 18 PEGI rating.

Hate to burst your bubble if we're going purely on labels then it may have been an error.

TheFlow

Banned
Third party games are going to expand to other platforms. I don't know why people are acting like this is suddenly new - if you were around for the PS2 era, it was constant. Dudes saying Xbox 1 would never get MGS2 got egg on their face.

But at the same time, if PR says it ain't comin', then expect it to not come. Better that than getting your hopes up or being straight up defiant.
It's yakuza though

ShM8Pz9.jpg

Final European cover, note that it's no longer a 'provisional' 18 PEGI rating.

Hate to burst your bubble if we're going purely on labels then it may have been an error.

Actually, that's the trend we're getting with EU covers. It was the same for KoFXIV and DQ Heroes also was PS only in Europe on the cover.

I'd rather have games like Bayonetta 1 and Vanquish on PC (and ported to PS4/X1). Those are hyper kinetic games which could really benefit at 60 fps with updated visual fidelity. Yakuza 0 already looks great and runs at 60 fps on PS4. So It's not an issue for me.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
Actually, that's the trend we're getting with EU covers. It was the same for KoFXIV and DQ Heroes also was PS only in Europe on the cover.

KoFXIV hasn't been announced, and DQ Heroes actually didn't go to production with the Only On PlayStation; the final cover was blank on that area and Square Enix just didn't update the distributors with the new cover.

KoFXIV hasn't been announced, and DQ Heroes actually didn't go to production with the Only On PlayStation; the final cover was blank on that area and Square Enix just didn't update the distributors with the new cover.

It hasn't been announced yet. And yet, both USA and Europe cover are different for KoF.

Prior to the official announcement, PR isn't a good source. They generally deflect up until the official announcement.

He's really not deflecting though. Typical PR speak is "currently the game is [in this state] and we have nothing further to announce."

While I appreciate the eternal optimisim, I just wanted to be perfectly clear about expectations for the pc gaming crowd. Chiefly that there shouldn't be any expectation for a PC release of Yakuza 0.

I don't know whatever criteria went into determining the box label, but I am telling you definitively to not get your hopes up for anything other than a PS4 release.

It's pretty much the equivalent of somebody saying, "not happening, let it go."

hoping you're just trolling, because that's a sad mentality to have.
I see this sentiment quite a lot here on GAF and it's a bit over the top to have such a "console war" type of mentality. I've seen this kind of junk from both XBox and PS fanboys. They must protect their "precious" at all costs and it's sickening.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
sega says no

atlus says no

gaf says you're saying there's a chance

Valkyria Chronicles had a nil chance of coming to PC
Binary Domain had a nil chance of coming to PC
Metal Gear Rising had a nil chance of coming to PC
Yakuza 5 had a nil chance of coming over to the west.
Final Fantasy X/X-II/XIII/XIII-2/Lightnings Return had no chance of coming to PC
EDF4.1 had no chance of coming to PC

etc etc.

However I also have a PS4 so I'm good either way :p

ZeroX03

Banned
IIRC doesn't the Yakuza team insist on handling the series themselves and not let anyone else touch it? They handled implementation of the English localization years after the fact with Y5. And they don't do PC (e: actually who handled Binary Domain? I might be wrong on the PC part).

The series is so on the bubble in the West I would really caution against expecting anything. 0 and 5 were a miracle.

Prior to the official announcement, PR isn't a good source. They generally deflect up until the official announcement.

This really doesn't read like a deflection:

While I appreciate the eternal optimisim, I just wanted to be perfectly clear about expectations for the pc gaming crowd. Chiefly that there shouldn't be any expectation for a PC release of Yakuza 0.

I don't know whatever criteria went into determining the box label, but I am telling you definitively to not get your hopes up for anything other than a PS4 release.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Yes, but that's what I'm arguing about after all, where people claims "confirmed to not be happening because PR said so". I'm not saying there's more or less chances. I'm stating PR isn't a fact or a confirmation of anything for the simple reason they're not allowed to state more than what's already formally announced.

Now unless SEGA PR said "The boxart label is a mistake on our end" now that would be a fact. But people expecting PR to deny or confirm a leak/rumour or a piece of clue are likely to get the wrong answer.

You can believe me, or you can not believe me. My point is that when the game launches and you're like 'WTF SEGA, WHERE IS MY PC VERSION' I'm gonna dig up this thread and jam it in your face.

If, by some manner of infinite improbability, a PC version does come into being, I will glady...GLADLY eat crow on it.

But right now? Nothing. Nil. Nada. There is no PC version. Pointing out inconsistencies on trans-Atlantic boxart is not going to change the fact that there is still no PC version.

Tizoc

Thanks bro.

Yakuza on pc would be awesome because the sales would mean a possible yakuza 1-2 to the west.

But like persona 5 the chances of it coming to pc are kinda zil
Yakuza isnt an atlus japan series thus is not constrained by stubborn old ceos

Yakuza series is the brainchild of toshohiro nagoshi who worked on binary domain which got released on steam
Thus there is precedent for a nagoshi game on steam and for the possibility of others to releaze as well

Yakuza series will releas eon steam it is a matter of time

Nzyme32

sega says no

atlus says no

gaf says you're saying there's a chance

Correction - Sega's PR. The point of contention is the official site and several others changing to the "console exclusive banner" very recently from the other version

Having said that, by the same logic this shouldn't be coming to PC, but magically it is.

I'd say it is anyone's guess because it really could go any way. With the way so many of these games are getting ports though, it would hardly be surprising

TheFlow

Banned
Yakuza isnt an atlus japan series thus is not constrained by stubborn old ceos

Yakuza series is the brainchild of toshohiro nagoshi who worked on binary domain which got released on steam
Thus there is precedent for a nagoshi game on steam and for the possibility of others to releaze as well

Yakuza series will releas eon steam it is a matter of time
Matter of time? That phrase can be said for most console games. People are going to be playing yakuza 6 in the west by time we get another sego port

firelogic

As long as it doesn't cost them much to port it to PC, I don't see why they don't do it. Is the series so niche that even opening it up to the PC market wouldn't be worth it?

Tizoc

Matter of time? That phrase can be said for most console games. People are going to be playing yakuza 6 in the west by time we get another sego port
A tually we would be getting a new one by end of this year at the earliest

TheFlow

Banned
A tually we would be getting a new one by end of this year at the earliest
You mean yakuza 7 announcement in Japan? If so then yea of course that is coming. But I am talking about western release of 6 which is more important

Edit release date.

You can believe me, or you can not believe me. My point is that when the game launches and you're like 'WTF SEGA, WHERE IS MY PC VERSION' I'm gonna dig up this thread and jam it in your face.

If, by some manner of infinite improbability, a PC version does come into being, I will glady...GLADLY eat crow on it.

But right now? Nothing. Nil. Nada. There is no PC version. Pointing out inconsistencies on trans-Atlantic boxart is not going to change the fact that there is still no PC version.

Wow, why the agressivity though ? :")
No one said the game was coming at launch or whatever. Why would you put words in my mouth. All I'm stating is PR aren't allowed to talk beyond what they're allowed to.

It's not that I dont believe you. It's that your job as a PR is to say what you're allowed to. There are things you know. Things you dont. And of all the things you know, things you're allowed to say and things you're not.

Tizoc

No pc version that you know of or been informed of at least, it's ok such a thing happened with dnd mystara collection for ps3.
And i dont want you to eat crow!

Alucrid

Banned

but you're not discounting the fact that there may eventually be a PC version? Yakuza 0 coming to PC guys!

Top Bottom