• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1+2 HD for Wii U announced

Lol I'm sorry but did you seriously suggest that the 58k people that got the HD collection is the fanbase? Try 500-600k which I believe is what the 5 LTD is
Western fanbase. Y'know, since we were talking about Nintendo picking up the localization.

what base, the wii u is a dead console
Right now, yes. It did pretty decent last holiday, and I'd be hesitant to bet against it this holiday too with the titles it has coming (Sonic, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc). MH3U did pretty well recently too, so niche (in the west) Japanese games can still pull a worthwhile performance.

Besides, it's not like it'd be all that difficult to better than Yakuza has on PS2/PS3 in the west, even with a userbase as tiny and as resistant to 3rd parties as Wii U has currently.

Soriku

Wii U gets Yakuza 1+2 in a ND...PS4 gets Yakuza 6 at TGS (or whenever).

I really doubt Yakuza 6 will be made for Wii U. The series seems reliant on graphics (and there's too big of a gap between PS4 and Wii U) and they're not going to ignore the PS fanbase that buys these games by the hundreds of thousands.

One of these versions has to leave japan and come here, I don't care which one it is. Hell, I'll buy both if they're ever available in NA lol.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I really doubt Yakuza 6 will be made for Wii U. The series seems reliant on graphics (and there's too big of a gap between PS4 and Wii U) and they're not going to ignore the PS fanbase that buys these games by the hundreds of thousands.

I dunno..that could absolutely be correct but this was so random I think it's not completely out there to suggest this is laying the groundwork for more Yakuza on the platform.

Kimawolf

I dunno..that could absolutely be correct but this was so random I think it's not completely out there to suggest this is laying the groundwork for more Yakuza on the platform.

Im with you, they are definitely laying down piping for something more in the future. Other wise it's just a really random.. pointless announcement.

tim.mbp

More reliant on cutscenes, the actual gameplay graphics ain't that special.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
this will have sense if they bring it to the west and/or if Sega will put other episode of the brand on the Wii U in the future.
It's the first time that the brand land on a non-sony console btw.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wait, why are people angry that Wii U gets HD ports of old games but when PS3 gets then its "All abord the choo choo train!!!" "I'm going to buy it 10 times!" :/

Spiegel

Ok sounds good!

I just think that a Yakuza 5 port would have made your point more likely. Considering Sega has already released recap videos online for previous Yakuza entries and also included them in the games (not sure about Y4/5).

It's not like Sega is going to re-release the whole series on WiiU. Or maybe that's the plan.

schuelma

I just think that a Yakuza 5 port would have made your point more likely. Considering Sega has already released recap videos online for previous Yakuza entries and also included them in the games (not sure about Y4/5).

It's not like Sega is going to re-release the whole series on WiiU. Or maybe that's the plan.

I dunno- why start with 1 and 2? And have Iwata make a big deal out of it? It's random even for Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, why are people angry that Wii U gets HD ports of old games but when PS3 gets then its "All abord the choo choo train!!!" "I'm going to buy it 10 times!" :/

This isn't just an HD port of an old game. It's a late port of an HD port of two old games.

If this was RGG1+2HD's first appearance, I think it would have been significant, but it was already released on PS3 last year to lackluster sales.

Spiegel

And have Iwata make a big deal out of it?

Why not?
It's a japanese third party game for the WiiU. That's a big deal.
[/joke]

You could be right. This Sega direct reminded me of last E3 when the WB president got up on stage to present an old port and some new games (Lego and Scriblenauts). Now they are one of the biggest WiiU supporters.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Yakuza games have also been pretty mindful of not barring new players from trying the series. They've all included extensive story recaps so anyone could just jump into the series. Porting the first two games to the Wii might have been significant, or bringing over one of the newer games. But this just seems like SEGA is dipping their toes in the water, making sure they won't drown.

The Yakuza series is rough. I love the games, but its obviously held back by the developers. You compare it to other open world games and it feels very dated. I don't even know if it would qualify as a open world game since the world is broken up into so many little sections. This wasn't a big deal in the PS2 days, it was common. But it becomes glaring when you transition over to the PS3 games.

Fights are still fun, and its the spiritual successor to Shenmue. So how can you be that mad.

I don't think anyone's getting angry, just that it seems a strange decision, is all.

And usually PS3 HD ports are "new".

Gadirok

You know, at first I was slightly annoyed that a wiiU version was coming and the PS3 never got a HD collection for 1 and 2.

And now I realize that a HD collection exists for the PS3, but was never localized.

Hopefully Nintendo can bring this over, if the HD collection doesn't come for PS3.

May actually give me an excuse to pick up a wiiU when its $100.

You know, at first I was slightly annoyed that a wiiU version was coming and the PS3 never got a HD collection for 1 and 2.

And now I realize that a HD collection exists for the PS3, but was never localized.

Hopefully Nintendo can bring this over, if the HD collection doesn't come for PS3.

May actually give me an excuse to pick up a wiiU when its $100.

Wouldn't Sega still be localising it themselves, rather than Nintendo? I really want it!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It released on PS3 last year.

Yeah, if this comes to the US without the PS3 version in tow it'll be really weird on Sega's part after releasing 3, 4, Dead Souls (and 5?) on PS3 in the west.

Sounds like wishful thinking. What do you think this will sell in Japan?

But if Nintendo's moneyhat is big enough, sure I can see Yakuza 6 on thee platform.

I dunno- why start with 1 and 2? And have Iwata make a big deal out of it? It's random even for Nintendo.

Because right now there's jack shit on the platform and not a whole lot of shit is coming. It's like Sony making a big deal out of Tearway where probably 15 interns are making it at MM. Because there's jack shit on the platform and not a whole lot of shit is coming.

Nintendo was able to secure MH and they made damn sure everyone knew about it by announcing MH3G AND MH4 at the same time. Given the current state of the WiiU, if they had these plans and were able to secure all of the Yakuza games, including 6 exclusively, on the platform like you seem to be suggesting, I'm pretty certain they would have told us.

I might be wrong, but I just think Nintendo was able to get this previously exclusive PS franchise and they don't have anything else to show for the WiiU at this time, so they made a big deal out of it.

Gadirok

Yeah, if this comes to the US without the PS3 version in tow it'll be really weird on Sega's part after releasing 3, 4, Dead Souls (and 5?) on PS3 in the west.

I was never willing to get into the series without playing 1 or 2 and I would have preferred if they did a collection like the upcoming legacy MGS collection.

Atleast 3 and 4 are cheap enough now.

They just need Final Fantasy now.

I fully expect Iwata on stage at their big E3 conference this year to say... "And finally..." Que Wada from Square "Please be Excited" Enix to walk on stage, tap Iwata on the back and announce FFXIII: Lightning Returns to come to WiiU.

But I think that may have been a recent nightmare of mine :p

CTLance

Strangely enough I am enticed by this offering. Loved Yakuza 3 and 4 on my PS3. Playing through 1&2 will probably be a rough experience due to age and whatever, but I'm kinda tempted to give them a try nonetheless. Won't buy a WiiU for that, but will keep it in mind for when/if I get one eventually.

How pissed will people be if Nintendo pulled another Monster Hunter and Yakuza moves to Wii U instead of PS4. :lol
How pissed will people be if a game franchise makes a lateral move to the Wii U rather than moving to a more powerful system to harness its potential you mean?

Hilarious stuff.

Kikujiro

Because they already released an HD collection on PS3 and it's probably much easier to port than yakuza 3-4-5. And Iwata made a big deal about Batman and EA's partnership too.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nintendo getting all the big Japanese IPs on their systems, on paper it is a good move.

Something is telling me that if yakuza 1+2 was coming to vita your comment would have been very different :p
But i guess it's my fault because i fail to see how well a port of a collection of past gen games of a not so big series would sell.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Yakuza-1and2-HD_Playstation3_cover.jpg

Sgblues

Wow talk about a hit from outta left field, never thought the RGG series would come out on a non-Sony system.

I'm still shocked!

Well... it's pretty simple for me. I don't have a lot of time for games anymore, and I find myself playing less and less games that come from Japan, but any console that gets a Yakuza game release in NA is a console I will buy.

schuelma

Because they already released an HD collection on PS3 and it's probably much easier to port than yakuza 3-4-5. And Iwata made a big deal about Batman and EA's partnership too.

Ok. And again, I don't think this is a sure thing, but just looking at it from Nintendo and Sega's perspective, what is the benefit to releasing this title if nothing is going to follow it? This isn't going to sell much at all, so I cannot imagine why either company would think this is worthwhile if it isn't laying the groundwork for something else. You mention Batman- and I think that supports my point. WB is one of the few 3rd parties actively supporting the platform and the late Arkham City port led to Arkham Origins this year.

Ok. And again, I don't think this is a sure thing, but just looking at it from Nintendo and Sega's perspective, what is the benefit to releasing this title if nothing is going to follow it? This isn't going to sell much at all, so I cannot imagine why either company would think this is worthwhile if it isn't laying the groundwork for something else. You mention Batman- and I think that supports my point. WB is one of the few 3rd parties actively supporting the platform and the late Arkham City port led to Arkham Origins this year.

You're jumping to conclusions when you say "the late Arkham City port led to Arkham Origins this year."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You're jumping to conclusions when you say "the late Arkham City port led to Arkham Origins this year."

I feel it almost assuredly did, because the technology and assets were all ported over at that point, making a Wii U version very straightforward.

The main difference here is that they ported Yakuza 1 + 2 and not their technology stack for Yakuza 5 that's now heading next-gen afterwards.

Top Bottom