• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1 Extreme (Remake, PS3/PS4, Jan 2016) and Yakuza 6 (PS4, Fall 2016) announced

Tizoc

It's like they did that on purpose or something :<

So that new Gundam game will have English subtitles though...weird decision making going on over there :(

I think that Gundam likely has far less text to translate than a game like Yakuza 0rigins or Yakuza 1 Remake >_>;

It's like they did that on purpose or something :<

So that new Gundam game will have English subtitles though...weird decision making going on over there :(

That gundam game is only coming out in Asia territories and will most likely be done horribly.

IrishNinja

A precedent has been set for a Japanese PS3 release to get a PS4 release in the west, Bandai Namco have done it at least 3 times, Square Enix with Dragon Quest etc.

again, i get it, but that precedent has nothing to do with this series, sadly

The main point is this, Yakuza 5 is either going to be a niche game targeting a last gen platform with sales declining rapidly, or it can be a niche game targeting a platform with increasing sales and momentum (and is slowly getting a much bigger Japanese games presence every year).

fortunately for the japanese crowd, there's no cost of localization there...that's kinda the key point you're missing here

Just something else, i'm not saying abandon the PS3 version, i'm saying release on both. I never stated the PS4 version needed to be physical either. Also lets not forget 6, your argument that 5 is so long in the series that it would be weird for it to be released on PS4 here, well 6 is in that same boat.

the main cost/risk wouldn't be the format (physical vs digi) again, though - it's porting.
and finally, you're right that 6 is in danger, but there's at least no cost to port it elsewhere - it either gets localizaed or it doesn't, no other risks...but even then, id be shocked (happily) if it saw any kind've physical. ill likely just import it and DL the digi just like 5, personally.

Its absurd to think anyone would buy a PS3 game without a PS3 to play it on.

yeah, agreed
really surprised at how many of you traded in your PS3's though, personally

Hasney

I actually found a way to stop my PS3 overheating specifically for Yakuza 5, otherwise I doubt I'd have bothered. God I hope it holds out until I finish it.

Shadoken

So is Yakuza Kiwami kinda like the Halo 2 Remake ? (Updated engine,assets..etc ) or something like the FF7 Remake ( pretty much a completely new game)

We already have the game translated , How hard would it be to bring it to the west. At the very least a Digital release. Cmon Sega this is your best shot at getting people into the franchise.
They can then release Yakuza 0 if its successful , since its a prequel.

Petrae

Also you don't need a PS3 to buy Yakuza 5, you need one to play it.

Yeah, I'm not into throwing away my money. If SEGA/Sony see piss-poor Yakuza 5 sales in the West and decide that the series is dead in the West, well... that's on them. Releasing a game on a platform that's on life support in the West is going to result in the obvious.

I'd buy Yakuza games for PS4 if they came to the West, just like I bought them for my PS3 (when I had one) and my PS2... but if they don't come? Life goes on, and I'm not writing a ransom check to SEGA and Sony so that they might consider taking anothet chance on what is a very niche series at best.

Kickstart future Yakuza PS4 releases for the West. I'll drop my $60 there.

Hasney

I don't see why they don't just drop it on PS Now at the same time. Sure, rental pricing bollocks, but it's at least get a few more people playing it.

So is Yakuza Kiwami kinda like the Halo 2 Remake ? (Updated engine,assets..etc ) or something like the FF7 Remake ( pretty much a completely new game)

We already have the game translated , How hard would it be to bring it to the west. At the very least a Digital release. Cmon Sega this is your best shot at getting people into the franchise.

From what has been announced/shown so far in my opinion it sounds more like a Resident Evil REmake styled remake. Updated graphics etc. to put it in line with the newer games, new story content, new side missions/mini games, a whole new side story/mini game type of thing focusing on Kiryu Vs Majima etc.

Shadoken

From what has been announced/shown so far in my opinion it sounds more like a Resident Evil REmake styled remake. Updated graphics etc. to put it in line with the newer games, new story content, new side missions/mini games, a whole new side story/mini game type of thing focusing on Kiryu Vs Majima etc.

I see , that would still mean they are retaining the original VA and dialogues right ? I think it would be way too expensive to remake all new dialogues.

Hopefully the fact that its already localized before pushes Sega to bring it over.

SephLuis

My guess is that this is a complete remake. New engine, battle system and more content.

Thank you. LTD is <200k for all those games combined. On PS2, Yakuza 1 is best selling <50k, on PS3, Yakuza 3 is the best selling <70k

US sales at retail.

Don't even ask me what yakuza 2 and Dead souls did.

3 actually sold better than I remembered. I thought it was around 30k.

*reads thread title*

GIGbAfr.gif

*reads OP's post*

Hyxce6T.gif

I should have known.

t26

I see , that would still mean they are retaining the original VA and dialogues right ? I think it would be way too expensive to remake all new dialogues.

Hopefully the fact that its already localized before pushes Sega to bring it over.

The VA are brought back.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I own Yakuza 3 and 4 only. I plan to get to them eventually. Can someone who has played the entire series rank them for me? I'm curious on where the games stand.

SephLuis

I own Yakuza 3 and 4 only. I plan to get to them eventually. Can someone who has played the entire series rank them for me? I'm curious on where the games stand.

You mean quality wise or timeline ?

Either way, all games are great, but If I were you, I would start with Y4. This should prepare you well for Y5.

SephLuis

If they have Y3, they might as well start with it. I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

Y4 is better for people that do not know the series and to avoid burn out, it's better he plays only one of them before Y5.

At least, that's my logic. He can also play Y3 instead of Y4 or play both and then go to Y5.

apples to oranges though
1) sega =/= namco, though oddly i do recall reading bandai almost bought them before sammy
2) small base/low sales + localization costs + super risk-averse sega = we'd not be getting this without sony, who at this point i think we can safely assume was doing their #buildingthelist effort as a sort've fan goodwill project, considering that even with minimizing their risks i doubt they're expecting a big return here

which is to say: any cost put into porting this to the PS4 would likely be seen as a waste for an already uphill effort, really surprised so many on here are kinda sidestepping all of this

Not Bandai, though they were having a feud with them in the 90s, not sure if this was just in the West however. Originally, it was going to be SEGA and Namco merging (if I remember correctly, SEGA was to takeover) but the deal never went through.

and yea, the effort to port this into the PS4 ALONG with localizing it might seem a tad unreasonable, given the circumstances.

nah, they tried exactly that with part 1, and never again put up the $ for both voices (thank fuck) or advertising

part of the problem might've been expecting it to be/play like Mafia but in Japan - no offense but Y1 was already up against the expectations of weird shenmue fans like myself at the time, throwing in the GTA crowd - already oversaturated at that point with Mafia, Scarface & so many me-too's - and you've now got people thinking they might play an open world game that lets them take on cops & do whatever. Yakuza's a very specific kind've odd that i think would appeal to a lot more people than it does now, but i don't honestly think the overlap in these groups is as big as Sega did in '06...still don't

Again, to me, If SEGA had made effort after the first game to try and sell it different/convince people it's not Japanese GTA, I think the series would have probably done better with the subsequent releases (it's a 3D brawler with a sort of a RPG twist, there has to be some way to get that marketed across).

zakujanai

Just buy it off the US PSN then.

Create an account, and buy some credit off amazon, easy.

I use PayPal, then I can add the specific account to my PayPal account and just purchase as normal. Yakuza 5 is even marginally cheaper on US PSN and you can order it now

IrishNinja

ah, you're right - it was Namco! my bad, i only really learned more on that last year from Console Wars

Again, to me, If SEGA had made effort after the first game to try and sell it different/convince people it's not Japanese GTA, I think the series would have probably done better with the subsequent releases (it's a 3D brawler with a sort of a RPG twist, there has to be some way to get that marketed across).

completely agreed - to this day, i literally have no idea how to market it, even if demos weren't a thing of the past it'd be hard to find a spot that'd really get the series across to people. but as you said, it's always felt like it has a wider appeal to a lotta people that just won't be exposed to it or give it a chance.

I think they should make a really cool cinematic Yakuza 1-4 story retrospective trailer. Basically a short 5-10minute video that at least explain the basic story from Yakuza 1.

I think at this point. The number 5 just make new comer stay away from the series. So unless they ditched the 5 and rebrand it as new title and not Yakuza title, they really need to give people ways to easily catch up.

Or at least make character backstory video for all 5 playable character in Yakuza 5. And don't make it a developer interview video with Nagoshi explaining in Japanese why Kiryu is cool. Just make a mini movie showing why he's cool

Just saying that Yakuza 5 have story recap of all previous Yakuza game is not enough. They need to get that video out now. Not after the game is out. It'd be too late by then.

Did the original English release of Yakuza on PS2 have subtitles? If that's the case they would have like 70% of the text already translated anyway.

Or at least make character backstory video for all 5 playable character in Yakuza 5. And don't make it a developer interview video with Nagoshi explaining in Japanese why Kiryu is cool. Just make a mini movie showing why he's cool

Numbered games do have a lot of baggage. However the fifth game, along with all entries really, are good enough jumping points into the series. There's very little story continuation. And you'll just appreciate the characters more if you've played all the games.

Did the original English release of Yakuza on PS2 have subtitles? If that's the case they would have like 70% of the text already translated anyway.

it was dubbed but i can't remember if it also had subtitles.

Well, we never got Yakuza 1+2 HD Collection, and those were already translated...

And this remake has additional stuff too.

duckroll

Wait ...what?! Sorry I havent been fully following the thread. You have a source?

There is a trailer for Yakuza 6 playing in the closed theater part of Sega's booth. It has no gameplay, but a bunch of scenes hinting at the story direction. Akiyama, Haruka, and two new characters are apparently the leads, while it appears that Kiryu might be "dead" by the time the game starts. The game supposedly takes place in both Kamurocho and America. Beat Takeshi is the only new cast member announced so far.

The Beat Takeshi stuff is confirmed here: http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031724/20150918013/

dv0cuZR.jpg

dreamfall

There is a trailer for Yakuza 6 playing in the closed theater part of Sega's booth. It has no gameplay, but a bunch of scenes hinting at the story direction. Akiyama, Haruka, and two new characters are apparently the leads, while it appears that Kiryu might be "dead" by the time the game starts. The game supposedly takes place in both Kamurocho and America. Beat Takeshi is the only new cast member announced so far.

The Beat Takeshi stuff is confirmed here: http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031724/20150918013/

dv0cuZR.jpg

Holy shit.

That's incredible, I can't believe they got Takeshi involved.

zakujanai

Yeah but you can't buy exact amount in credit can you?

So I'd have to buy over and I'll have ££ left over on that account no?

Meh.

PayPal lets you add specific amounts in foreign currency. You can then use that to purchase on a US account. It's how I pre ordered Y5.

Edit: typo

Wait wasn't that for the Wii U. I really doubt that would have sold more than 100 units in the US.

1&2 HD was released first for PS3 then later for Wii U.

dv0cuZR.jpg

Huh,
that's gonna suck if that is tied to the ending of Yakuza 5, then again Majima was thought to be "dead" in that game too.
Kind of funny if America is the new setting.

Top Bottom