• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1 Extreme (Remake, PS3/PS4, Jan 2016) and Yakuza 6 (PS4, Fall 2016) announced

Aki-at

Huh,
that's gonna suck if that is tied to the ending of Yakuza 5, then again Majima was thought to be "dead" in that game too.
Kind of funny if America is the new setting.

It's kind of funny how you and IrishNinja were talking about how they could relaunch the series and couldn't think of a way. If this is all true, with the new leads and set in America, I think I can see how this could help soft "relaunch" the series.

(Who am I kidding, SEGA America will probably commission Sonic Boom 3 instead ;_; )

StereoVsn

3 started off slow but continually sold units over time.

Still. None of the games have cracked 100k with some not even cracking 50k. That's quite telling.

I am completely unable to comprehend this. I just dont get how this happened. Yakuza 2 - 4 (and Kenzan, Ishin, 5 but those haven't been released here) are some of the best action RPGs/Beat'm Ups I have played with awesome, manly stories. Yakuza 1 had some control issues, sure but the rest is amazing. I am laying blame squarely with Sega and its terrible terrible marketing (Dead Souls was bad except for Karaoke and Majima).

You get to punch a tiger in it's mouth in 2, it's just that awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
Takeshi Kitano makes sense. I forgot which games but they got his buddy whose in most of his movies (at least the older ones, haven't seen Kitano's recent stuff) already, now they can afford Kitano as well!

StereoVsn

Huh,
that's gonna suck if that is tied to the ending of Yakuza 5, then again Majima was thought to be "dead" in that game too.
Kind of funny if America is the new setting.

Wait, does this mean we can play like in that PS3 Haruka mod with her bringing the beat down to mobsters? If so, Day 1 import (it was going to be Day 1 anyway).

I am curious to know why Yakuza 6 is only PS4 only but will probably only be released in Japan. The install base of the PS4 is not that big and home console sales are struggling there.

zakujanai

Huh, I'll check that out then thanks.

Typo in my post, I meant to say you can add specific amounts. You just put the amount in dollars in PayPal and it'll transfer the required GBP. Feel like I should've helped support EU sales figures but they aren't having pre orders and I wanted that Yakuza 5 theme now

surely partial setting in America is their attempt to grab western sales right? I hope this got localized

also bring back Kaoru damn it

Kaoru Sayama wiki:
At the start of the third game, Kaoru Sayama meets Kiryu at the graveyard and tells him that she's leaving Japan to receive training in the United States.

Shadoken

I am curious to know why Yakuza 6 is only PS4 only but will probably only be released in Japan. The install base of the PS4 is not that big and home console sales are struggling there.

Thats a fair point , what is the install base of the PS4?

I am guessing this title will push PS4 units in a pretty big way.

SephLuis

I think companies want to avoid a mobile dominated market, so they are trying to nurture the strongest console there. Just see how many PS4 announcements we had this week and TGS didn't even begun.

While the install base isn't as big as the PS3, they will gradually build that base. They eventually would have to abandon the PS3 and better now than never. I am actually surprised that it took this long, considering other smaller companies already made that jump long ago.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/19089136.html

Famitsu has a longass interview with Nagoshi on both the Yakuza remake and Yakuza 6. I don't think there's anything particularly new here, but he does say two things about Yakuza 6 which is worth some discussion.

One thing is that with regards to platform, while they are trying to build the PS4 up domestically as a viable platform, the main reason it is an exclusive is because they have totally revamped the game engine after making efforts to refresh the game design concepts for the series. Apparently whatever it is they want to do is only possible on new hardware. Erm... I feel I've heard this excuse before. :p

The other thing is that he reassures fans that Kiryu will still be in Yakuza 6 as the main character, despite the suggestions at the end of Yakuza 5. Not sure what that means since I still haven't played that. But if this is the case, the stuff I posted previously about what I read in terms of supposedly impressions of a trailer behind closed doors at TGS is probably false. Maybe they were made up by a fan based on the early reports of Beat Takeshi being in the game. I dunno.

I had just received the original Yakuza from GameFly before the remake was announced. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and play it and get into the series finally or I should wait and see if there will be an English release for Kiwami.

Soriku

I wonder how many Yakuza games they'll make before they decide Kiryu is too old for this shit. Also, will the Yakuza world just fall into chaos after his death?

Is the Beat Takeshi stuff real? Holy crap

There is a trailer for Yakuza 6 playing in the closed theater part of Sega's booth. It has no gameplay, but a bunch of scenes hinting at the story direction. Akiyama, Haruka, and two new characters are apparently the leads, while it appears that Kiryu might be "dead" by the time the game starts. The game supposedly takes place in both Kamurocho and America. Beat Takeshi is the only new cast member announced so far.

The Beat Takeshi stuff is confirmed here: http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031724/20150918013/

dv0cuZR.jpg

YESS

Famitsu has a longass interview with Nagoshi on both the Yakuza remake and Yakuza 6. I don't think there's anything particularly new here, but he does say two things about Yakuza 6 which is worth some discussion.

One thing is that with regards to platform, while they are trying to build the PS4 up domestically as a viable platform, the main reason it is an exclusive is because they have totally revamped the game engine after making efforts to refresh the game design concepts for the series. Apparently whatever it is they want to do is only possible on new hardware. Erm... I feel I've heard this excuse before. :p

The other thing is that he reassures fans that Kiryu will still be in Yakuza 6 as the main character, despite the suggestions at the end of Yakuza 5. Not sure what that means since I still haven't played that. But if this is the case, the stuff I posted previously about what I read in terms of supposedly impressions of a trailer behind closed doors at TGS is probably false. Maybe they were made up by a fan based on the early reports of Beat Takeshi being in the game. I dunno.

Thanks for the info Duckroll. That sounds great regarding the game only being on the PS4.

I'm not surprised about the Kiryu fact, I think they've said previously that they'd never get rid of him, even after the fakeout ending in Yakuza 3.

fedexpeon

Banned
I wonder how many Yakuza games they'll make before they decide Kiryu is too old for this shit. Also, will the Yakuza world just fall into chaos after his death?

We will play him until he is in his 60s.
I wonder how they will end the series though since they keep dragging Kiryu back into the underground world.

They really did get Takeshi Kitano for Yakuza 6?! That's nuts. Been watching that dude's films for well over a decade now, and while they aren't all winners he has directed and starred in some of my favourite Japanese movies. Sonatine, Hanabi and Kikujiro are classics. He needs to get his buddy Susumu Terajima involved as well; always loved that guy.

Achire

Damn, Takeshi Kitano. I would definitely recommend watching Sonatine for getting into the mood for Yakuza 5. In addition to everything Acquiescence said, I would also recommend some of his dramas like A Scene by the Sea and Kids Return.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
There is a trailer for Yakuza 6 playing in the closed theater part of Sega's booth. It has no gameplay, but a bunch of scenes hinting at the story direction. Akiyama, Haruka, and two new characters are apparently the leads, while it appears that Kiryu might be "dead" by the time the game starts. The game supposedly takes place in both Kamurocho and America. Beat Takeshi is the only new cast member announced so far.

giphy.gif

As much as I enjoy Kiryu, I wish the series could let him go. 4 and 5 were good ways to ease out of him being the sole protagonist, so if 6 goes back to being solely Kiryu it'll feel like a regression. I don't want to get to a MGS4 situation where we're playing as Old Kiryu with a sore back and all!

just a reminder, vote with your wallets. You want these games to come west of japan, GO GET YAKUZA 5 FROM PSN. Even if its digital, It still shows interest outside japan. Dont give that DIgital bullshit excuse, GO GET IT.

It's PS3 only right? That's the issue with these games. They don't put their best foot forward and they don't sell well and then they say they won't localize more because of reasons. It's crap. Personally, I'm not buying a PS3 game two years after my ps4 has been out.

down 2 orth

Announcer: "Kiwami quality!" *grown man slaps little girl in the face*

I remember my Japanese friend explaining to me that the difference between Western and Japanese games is that Western games are more violent and crude, lol. Anyways, I'll probably buy this game to help with the Japanese studies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dear lord what has Nagoshi done to his face? His transformation over the years is quite startling.

jett

D-Member
Dear lord what has Nagoshi done to his face? His transformation over the years is quite startling.

Yeah before it just looked like some extreme tanning, but now it looks like he has gone under the knife.

huehuehuehue

It'll be the exact same game as before, no doubt.

Aki-at

Interesting to see what a new engine is going to look like, last time they came up with Binary Domain, I'd hope we get to see something else other than a brawler to see what it'd be capable of.

Think at this point, all that's left to update is a seamless transition from battle to adventure gameplay, not sure how much further they can go with the design concept for the series.

As much as I enjoy Kiryu, I wish the series could let him go. 4 and 5 were good ways to ease out of him being the sole protagonist, so if 6 goes back to being solely Kiryu it'll feel like a regression. I don't want to get to a MGS4 situation where we're playing as Old Kiryu with a sore back and all!

He was the second in the favourite character poll.

He, along with Majima and Akiyama aren't going away for a LONG time. Besides series is kind of named after him :p

They really did get Takeshi Kitano for Yakuza 6?! That's nuts. Been watching that dude's films for well over a decade now, and while they aren't all winners he has directed and starred in some of my favourite Japanese movies. Sonatine, Hanabi and Kikujiro are classics. He needs to get his buddy Susumu Terajima involved as well; always loved that guy.

3GRR1q2.gif

ill have to import this, hoping there is a gaf thread for both games to help us through it. (cant remember jack shit about Yakuza 1)

klee123

I think before TGS, the Sega CEO mentioned that they will be revealing a game which will appeal to the worldwide audience, what game did that end up being?

I didn't know ,,Beat'' was Takeshi's screen name, so I first thought the game would either have a virtual Takeshi's Castle or feature Takeshi's Challenge from the NES :(

Top Bottom