• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 Announcement Trailer + Boxart SEGA HAS LEARNED

Just thought you Aussies might like to know, EB is accepting Kuro Edition preorders as well for $120, comes with an Ichiban box containing a bowl and chopsticks plus a hostess poster (saw it in a store, not online for some reason).

I'm leaning towards the JB deal myself, providing that the price is good :D

OneMoreQuestion said:
Just thought you Aussies might like to know, EB is accepting Kuro Edition preorders as well for $120, comes with an Ichiban box containing a bowl and chopsticks plus a hostess poster (saw it in a store, not online for some reason).

So those bonuses are in-store only? Didn't see anything online about it.

jetsetfluken said:
So those bonuses are in-store only? Didn't see anything online about it.

Maybe it's just not up yet. I mean the game doesn't come out till next month.

one_kill said:
JB's advertising it on their website. If you preorder the Shiro Edition with them, you'll also get a copy of Yakuza 3.
My google-fu is weak, may I have a link please?

hamchan

OneMoreQuestion said:

Wait, I thought we were getting the Shiro edition. Also I don't know if these special editions are really worth the $20 extra to me. I don't really want any of the bonuses besides the awesome box.

hamchan said:
Wait, I thought we were getting the Shiro edition. Also I don't know if these special editions are really worth the $20 extra to me. I don't really want any of the bonuses besides the awesome box.

I think we'll be getting shiro from GAME and JB, and Kuro from EB.

EDIT: One comma makes a pretty big difference...

Replicant

one_kill said:
JB's advertising it on their website. If you preorder the Shiro Edition with them, you'll also get a copy of Yakuza 3.
Oh man, what a dillema. I like the Kuro one better but if buying Shiro means I get two games for the price of one......

jetsetfluken said:
When going to the "order online" button/link, it just brings you to their games section index. Nothing about Shiro edition through search either, only standard edition.

Someone please find we non-Aussies can get Shiro...
Same thing here what the hell is with that? What a great looking LE anyway.

So psyched for this game. March in NA as well?

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
rvy said:
They should definitely offer a new cover for Yakuza 3 with the Kuro and Shiro editions.
Probably won't happen, but at least a few people have printed out photoshopped version of Japan's Y3 box art, and slipped those into the covers instead.

You guys may have seen over the weekend that the Kuro / Shiro versions were confirmed for Europe only. If you're in the US or already pre-ordered from Gamestop, there is some good news to be found there: US copies will all come with the special edition DLC included.

We got our Yakuza 4 promo shirts in as well - they came out great. I'll post a pic soon, and maybe give one away as a little GAF exclusive. Only a few hundred in the world, so they're going to be collector's items. :)

FLEABttn

Banned
RubyEclipse said:
You guys may have seen over the weekend that the Kuro / Shiro versions were confirmed for Europe only. If you're in the US or already pre-ordered from Gamestop, there is some good news to be found there: US copies will all come with the special edition DLC included.

All US copies or Gamestop exclusive?

androvsky

Apparently it's all U.S. copies according to the blog, and the Gamestop exclusive is...

We also have another special bonus here in the US for anyone who pre-orders from Gamestop: you can say hello to the lovely ladies of Yakuza 4 with an exclusive Dynamic Hostess Theme for PSN, free for all who pre-order on their side.

Oh, shit. I'm such a sucker for dynamic themes, and being a huge Yakuza fan I've been wondering when we (or hell, even Japan) would get one. This theme better be good... :)

matmanx1

androvsky said:
Apparently it's all U.S. copies according to the blog, and the Gamestop exclusive is...

Oh, shit. I'm such a sucker for dynamic themes, and being a huge Yakuza fan I've been wondering when we (or hell, even Japan) would get one. This theme better be good... :)

Niiice! And save me one of those t-shirts, Ruby!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
FLEABttn said:
All US copies or Gamestop exclusive?
Yes, all US copies with have the code for all the promo DLC within the box. The only actual difference between the US version and the Kuro edition is the case itself.

Pic of the promo shirt coming soon - I'll edit this post with it shortly.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Snapshot King said:
By US, do they mean North America? Canadians are always in a weird limbo area with this stuff.
Yeah - North America on the whole will get the DLC bundled in free. Canadians can rest easy - and then eat some coffee crisp.

FLEABttn

Banned
RubyEclipse said:
Yes, all US copies with have the code for all the promo DLC within the box. The only actual difference between the US version and the Kuro edition is the case itself.

Pic of the promo shirt coming soon - I'll edit this post with it shortly.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Ruby.

Jomjom

Banned
Has the JP version gotten any DLC that is not included in the UK and US edition? I ask because I'm thinking of importing the UK Kuro edition, but I would think twice about it if there will be DLC released that I won't be able to buy because I don't want to set up a UK account.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
disappeared said:
fuck you, I'll eat two!
Snap!

Just don't throw any of your crazy mutant chocolate-infused bastard Smarties at me. (They look a little different here in the US.)

Has the JP version gotten any DLC that is not included in the UK and US edition? I ask because I'm thinking of importing the UK Kuro edition, but I would think twice about it if there will be DLC released that I won't be able to buy because I don't want to set up a UK account.

The plan is to give western fans pretty much everything that Japan got. The first big batch of this DLC comes with the European special editions and also with all copies in North America. So you don't need to worry - either a North American version or a European special edition will ensure that you'll be able to get all the DLC in the end.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just picked up Yakuza 3 off amazon, since it has dropped in price. Might pick this up later in the year. Hopefully its good.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Alil late here but is Segac really making the fighting arena into dlc? Free or not wtf. That things a series staple! I assume this'll be listed in the cut content list they're gonna release cause that's what it is! Was this cut out of Yakuza 3 as well? Cause I was hoping to start the game later today or tomorrow an if it was I'd kinda wanna just take the disc an snap it in half. Didn't Y3 launch at $50 last year? Why the price increase for 4 when we're still getting the shaft? Soooo not paying full price for it if I buy it at all -.-

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Lindsay said:
Alil late here but is Segac really making the fighting arena into dlc? Free or not wtf. That things a series staple! I assume this'll be listed in the cut content list they're gonna release cause that's what it is! Was this cut out of Yakuza 3 as well? Cause I was hoping to start the game later today or tomorrow an if it was I'd kinda wanna just take the disc an snap it in half. Didn't Y3 launch at $50 last year? Why the price increase for 4 when we're still getting the shaft? Soooo not paying full price for it if I buy it at all -.-

Wait, what? I tried making sense of what you wrote but I'm having trouble finding any. Let's see if I can address your concerns, though.

1) The fighting arena appears in western Y4 just as it did in the Japanese version of the game. Same with the extended DLC that lets you enjoy it beyond the main storyline.

2) Yes, this was in Yakuza 3.

3.) I realize this may be the cool thing to do now in bouts of uncontrollable internet rage, but I'd recommend against snapping your Y3 disc in half - especially on baseless assumptions that end up being incorrect. Even with the cut content, Yakuza 3 - and the series in general - is fantastic, and offers a game deeper with extras than almost anything else out there.

P.S. - What's a segac?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lindsay said:

Yakuza 3 was also $60 originally...

androvsky

Kagari said:

Yeah, the price didn't drop until around the time the cut content was announced. I almost had to pay the $60 anyway on my Gamestop pre-order, except the people that work at my local gamestop are awesome and fixed it anyway.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
RubyEclipse said:
Wait, what? I tried making sense of what you wrote but I'm having trouble finding any. Let's see if I can address your concerns, though.

1) The fighting arena appears in western Y4 just as it did in the Japanese version of the game. Same with the extended DLC that lets you enjoy it beyond the main storyline.

2) Yes, this was in Yakuza 3.

3.) I realize this may be the cool thing to do now in bouts of uncontrollable internet rage, but I'd recommend against snapping your Y3 disc in half - especially on baseless assumptions that end up being incorrect. Even with the cut content, Yakuza 3 - and the series in general - is fantastic, and offers a game deeper with extras than almost anything else out there.

P.S. - What's a segac?

1) I'm not understanding what this "dlc" is then if the arena is freely available in the game just as it was in the others? Whats extended about it? If its something that was in Y1/2/3(?) normally and is now supposedly an extra then its cut content whether Segac east or west did the cutting doesn't matter.

2) As "dlc" or regulary? I gots both sets of 100kb files from getting the game at gamestop last year (where it was totally $50 or was it $55? w/e!) but kinda forgot what they were all about.

3) Internet rage isn't uncontrollable an its usually funny! I got a full refund for the copy I bought an returned last year, this current one is a gift an while its not nice or useful ta break gifts it could still provide amusement! The games butchered internally why not do the same externally! Plus it'd surely take less time ta do then sitting through a 5gb install ...zz.... On the other hand my thumbs are still sore from finally beating Shining Force Neo which was a heck of a button mashfest the likes I've not encountered before so I kinda couldn't play Y3 or break it right now even if I wanted to x.x

ps)
5zp30i.png

Kagari said:
FLEABttn said:
No, the price didn't drop below $55 for a good three or four months after release outside of maybe some short sales.

Yakuza 3 | Official Thre

Price: $54.95 USD at most retailers

FLEABttn

Banned
androvsky said:
Yeah, the price didn't drop until around the time the cut content was announced. I almost had to pay the $60 anyway on my Gamestop pre-order, except the people that work at my local gamestop are awesome and fixed it anyway.

No, the price didn't drop below $55 for a good three or four months after release outside of maybe some short sales.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Thank you, Hamchan. I'm going to try once more. Here we go.

Lindsay said:
1) I'm not understanding what this "dlc" is then if the arena is freely available in the game just as it was in the others? Whats extended about it? If its something that was in Y1/2/3(?) normally and is now supposedly an extra then its cut content whether Segac east or west did the cutting.

2) As "dlc" or regulary? I gots both sets of 100kb files from getting the game at gamestop last year (where it was totally $50 or was it $55? w/e!) but kinda forgot what they were all about.

3) Internet rage isn't uncontrollable an its usually funny! I got a full refund for the copy I bought an returned last year, this current one is a gift an while its not nice or useful ta break gifts it could still provide amusement! The games butchered internally why not do the same externally! Plus it'd surely take less time ta do then sitting through a 5gb install ...zz....

1.) It's a bonus mode with the Arena beyond what the main game lets you play through. (I'm not going to spoil the story, but only one of the main characters fights in the arena normally.) Once more, this is exactly how the game was in Japan. This DLC was released post-game launch for the Japanese market; we're bundling it into our version from Day 1.

It's not cut content - it's actually extra content, and for free. All new US copies of Yakuza 4 come with this.

2.) I'm going to let you actually play the game and discover this for yourself. It's in the game. Please play through it before making complaints, as unfounded ones can make you seem ignorant. :)

3.) See point 2!

Only eight stars? Everyone knows it's all about the fifteen stars these days. ;)

FLEABttn said:

This is correct, save for maybe one or two sales. Actually, when we announced the cut content, prices didn't drop - demand went up because of the controversy. In the midst of all the craziness, pre-orders and awareness both rose exponentially.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
RubyEclipse said:
1.) It's a bonus mode with the Arena beyond what the main game lets you play through. (I'm not going to spoil the story, but only one of the main characters fights in the arena normally.) Once more, this is exactly how the game was in Japan. This DLC was released post-game launch for the Japanese market; we're bundling it into our version from Day 1.

I dun really get it. So theres the normal arena fights as the series has normally had. And theres these bonus dlc arena fights also? If thats the case its fine an more then fair enough!

The much-loved underground Fighting Arena

The basic description of this dlc just made it sound like the entire thing was ripped out an made to dlc. Yes it is much loved and always will be! I hope ya can see how a tidbit like that can be misunderstood.

2.) I'm going to let you actually play the game and discover this for yourself. It's in the game. Please play through it before making complaints, as unfounded ones can make you seem ignorant. :)

3.) See point 2!

I'm ignorant but not an insomniac! And the only reason I'm ignorant is cause I didn't update my PS3 so I can't login to PSN to view my d/l history to read the descriptions of the dlc packs (I tried via psp but I couldn't view them on it) so there x_x I appreciate not being spoilered an hope the Y4 cut list will also be spoiler free!

Only eight stars? Everyone knows it's all about the fifteen stars these days. ;)

15*? If only PS2/PC regional servers had lived ta see the day where I'd actually gotten ta see one with my own eyes ;.; With luck PS:p2 will grant me one someday. Maybic.

androvsky

Speaking of DLC...

Ruby, if Sega decided to make Yakuza of the End into a total costume fest like PSP2i, I think I would be okay with that. :) I dunno, would other people be mad at the idea of paying $5 to dress Kiryu up like Ryo Hazuki for some zombie shooting action? Or Ohgami Ichiro? Ahh, probably too late for that though.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Yeah, I think you're getting it now. :) There's a normal arena fight you'll encounter with one of the characters, but the DLC also lets you compete in the full arena side-game with a character that doesn't get access down there in the main story. (This DLC, like most, unlocks when you beat the game once.)

As to PSU, I have some good memories of the old PC/PS2 servers. My first PSU experience, and I was there until the end. I guess that's talk for another topic, but yeah - PSP:2 has you covered in terms of shiny, star-filled items.

androvsky said:
Speaking of DLC...

Ruby, if Sega decided to make Yakuza of the End into a total costume fest like PSP2i, I think I would be okay with that. :) I dunno, would other people be mad at the idea of paying $5 to dress Kiryu up like Ryo Hazuki for some zombie shooting action? Or Ohgami Ichiro? Ahh, probably too late for that though.

Did you read that they actually put a forklift in OTE as a little nod to the Shenmue series?

matmanx1

Yakuza OTE looks fairly awesome but I don't want to get ahead of myself and get hyped for it before I play through Yakuza 4. The series has become one of my favorite in all of game-dom (see my avatar!) and Yakuza 4 will be my big game for March and indeed for the entire first quarter of the year in terms of most looked forward to.

There are experiences and things you can do in a Yakuza game that you can't do in any other game and I love the slice of life, nitty grittiness of it all. Needless to say I am ready for Yakuza 4!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Couple updates on the Y4 front:

• We've got a new Hostess Wallpaper coming out soon (a free download from the website), and next week the demo will go live for all PSN users.
  • PSN + Users can grab the demo now. If you've played it already, we hope you enjoyed checking out the differences in combat between all four characters.

RubyEclipse said:
Couple updates on the Y4 front:

• We've got a new Hostess Wallpaper coming out soon (a free download from the website), and next week the demo will go live for all PSN users.
    [*]PSN + Users can grab the demo now. If you've played it already, we hope you enjoyed checking out the differences in combat between all four characters.

And I think I just got pushed into buying a PSN+ account...

Are there any pre-order bonuses this time around? Sorry if that has been answered but I didn't see it.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
CaptYamato said:
And I think I just got pushed into buying a PSN+ account...

Are there any pre-order bonuses this time around? Sorry if that has been answered but I didn't see it.
Yes, there are.

Depending on your where you live and what you want, you've got a few options. In Europe, there are Black and White Steelbook special editions that cost a bit more, but will give you a shiny case, and potentially another perk, like a free copy of Y3 or a bit of Y4 merch.

In the US, because we've got a single version, all copies of the game come with the bonus DLC that Europe gets in their special editions. Pre-ordering from Gamespot will also net you a Dynamic Hostess Theme for PSN. Shiny.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
GeoramA said:
The demo is just battle mode and it's very short. You fight a group of guys with each character and it's over.
The demo should run anywhere from 10-15 full minutes of combat on the first playthrough, potentially a little faster if you're a Yakuza combat veteran.

The key is to let players explore the three new characters, each of whom have about 2/3 of their full combat potential unlocked. You can practice as Akiyama, Tanimura, and Taiga, and then finish up with the tried and true style you'll remember from Kiryu Kazuma.

I will be buying this, the day it comes out, for $59.99+tax. I've gotten so much more than $60 worth of playtime(imo of course) out of Yakuza 3, it disappoints me to know that Kenzan! is most likely never going to reach these shores, but here's to hoping for Of The End.

Top Bottom