• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 Announcement Trailer + Boxart SEGA HAS LEARNED

GeoramA

RubyEclipse said:
The demo should run anywhere from 10-15 full minutes of combat on the first playthrough, potentially a little faster if you're a Yakuza combat veteran.

The key is to let players explore the three new characters, each of whom have about 2/3 of their full combat potential unlocked. You can practice as Akiyama, Tanimura, and Taiga, and then finish up with the tried and true style you'll remember from Kiryu Kazuma.
Yeah I flew through the demo, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

The game looks much sharper than Y3, it's very noticeable during the Kazuma section when you're fighting in downtown Kamurocho. Also liked seeing the new rooftop and underground locales.

William Percy Nightstick said:
I will be buying this, the day it comes out, for $59.99+tax. I've gotten so much more than $60 worth of playtime(imo of course) out of Yakuza 3, it disappoints me to know that Kenzan! is most likely never going to reach these shores, but here's to hoping for Of The End.

I would really like to play Kenzen...

BeeDog

RubyEclipse, I hope you can clarify something. I pre-ordered the Steelbook Edition from Game in the UK (I live in Sweden) and simply want to know this:

1) Is the bonus content (listed below) DLC or is it included on the disc?

# Bonus costumes for Akiyama, Saejima, Tanimura, Kiryu and Haruka
# Battle against the bosses in survival mode
# Battle in the underground fighting arena
# Race the bosses in underground car parks

2) If it's DLC, do you have a generic Europe key, or will the key provided in my pre-order have to be redeemed on a UK PSN account?

Thanks in advance.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
BeeDog said:
RubyEclipse, I hope you can clarify something. I pre-ordered the Steelbook Edition from Game in the UK (I live in Sweden) and simply want to know this:

1) Is the bonus content (listed below) DLC or is it included on the disc?

2) If it's DLC, do you have a generic Europe key, or will the key provided in my pre-order have to be redeemed on a UK PSN account?

Thanks in advance.
In the US, all the copies have codes included in an extra slip with the manual that will open the DLC content. Much of it is end-game content that you'll only really get into once you beat the game a first time, like the extra content in Yakuza 3.

I'll need to confirm, but I'd bet that the European special edition will have a similar setup with a one-time use code in new copies. As to whether or not the code will be tied to the region of your PSN account, I'll ask a few questions internally and see what I can find out.

Money is money though, so if Yakuza 4 were to sell really well, and Sega wanted to capitalize on that even more than just releasing Of The End in a years time, they could totally bring out Kenzan! and make some cash.....but yeah, still highly unlikely to happen.:(

CaptYamato said:
I would really like to play Kenzen...

Same here, all I ask is localization, no added content or anything. But I realize "just" asking for localization is probably more involved/costly than I know. Not to mention actually making the discs, packaging, other associated costs with releasing a game, etc.

Edit: Sorry, double post.

bestami

Well the regular UK shops that i usually import my shit doesn't look like they are going to carry these special editions since they are still not up for order. Are those steelbooks going to be the standart game for the first run just like the Yakuza 3 premium or do i have to look harder for those steelbook ones ? Goddamn GAME doesn't ship to my country.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
William Percy Nightstick said:
Same here, all I ask is localization, no added content or anything. But I realize "just" asking for localization is probably more involved/costly than I know. Not to mention actually making the discs, packaging, other associated costs with releasing a game, etc.

Edit: Sorry, double post.
Yep, pretty much - you're right that there's a huge amount of cost involved and then further risk in both bringing a game over and marketing it. The only potential problem I personally see with Kenzan is that it takes an already niche audience here in the states and may break it down even more. But there's something to be said about other popular Samurai games, even though gameplay wise, Kenzan is still very much a Yakuza title.

I've played through most of Kenzan in Japanese, and had a pretty good time with it, even though I didn't understand it all. Since PS3's are region free, anyone can import it to check it out, and there are actually videos on the net where fans have subtitled all the major cut-scenes.

But if we want to encourage higher-ups at SEGA to explore bolstering the franchise further, we have to first show some major growth with the series as it stands. Yakuza 3 did well, in large part thanks to the fans, and now it's really, really important that Yakuza 4 does even better. The more units it ships, the more likely SEGA as a company will be to spend / risk more on it in the future. It's all basic business stuff, but still worth noting.

It's amazing how much pre-orders can also help those numbers. Thank you to those fans reading this who already did pre-order, as even just one does make a difference in the end.

Pre-ordered both the Kuro edition from Game and a regular edition from my local dealer! ;D

The demo was really bad though, they should have included the adventure part too that was in the japanese demo. But i guess this was also done to cut costs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RubyEclipse said:
Yep, pretty much - you're right that there's a huge amount of cost involved and then further risk in both bringing a game over and marketing it. The only potential problem I personally see with Kenzan is that it takes an already niche audience here in the states and may break it down even more. But there's something to be said about other popular Samurai games, even though gameplay wise, Kenzan is still very much a Yakuza title.

I've played through most of Kenzan in Japanese, and had a pretty good time with it, even though I didn't understand it all. Since PS3's are region free, anyone can import it to check it out, and there are actually videos on the net where fans have subtitled all the major cut-scenes.

But if we want to encourage higher-ups at SEGA to explore bolstering the franchise further, we have to first show some major growth with the series as it stands. Yakuza 3 did well, in large part thanks to the fans, and now it's really, really important that Yakuza 4 does even better. The more units it ships, the more likely SEGA as a company will be to spend / risk more on it in the future. It's all basic business stuff, but still worth noting.

It's amazing how much pre-orders can also help those numbers. Thank you to those fans reading this who already did pre-order, as even just one does make a difference in the end.

I have no idea if this came up before, but have people there seriously thought about just doing PSN releases?

If Aksys can get away with it with their super, super niche games you'd think Sega would have no problem...

RubyEclipse said:

Thanks for addressing my post. Last poster makes a good point about a PSN release though, that would take away the packaging, shipping costs etc. Can you comment on how much of a difference price-wise that could make? And is it even possible? Why/why not? Thanks.

So now the question is....where should I pre-order it from? Does that make any kind of difference as far as sales recognition goes?

Replicant

I already pre-ordered the Kuro steelbook + Yakuza 4 bowl + chopstick + calendar. But now I'm wondering if maybe I should also buy the Shiro steelbook + Yakuza 3. Hmm, wish I have a lot of money right now. But I don't. :(

Paracelsus

Replicant said:
I already pre-ordered the Kuro steelbook + Yakuza 4 bowl + chopstick + calendar. But now I'm wondering if maybe I should also buy the Shiro steelbook + Yakuza 3. Hmm, wish I have a lot of money right now. But I don't. :(

._.

US preorder bonus?

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Paracelsus said:
._.

US preorder bonus?
It's one of the EU Bonuses, but I'll be getting in some of those to give away here in the US in free contests and giveaways. Maybe even one or two here on GAF. : )

As to the potential of digital releases - it's an interesting idea. The biggest cost is definitely the localization, though. In fact, our Producer here (who wrote much of the translated subtitles you'll read in Y4) told me that if you were to put all the text of Yakuza 4 into a book, it would be almost as long as Atlas Shrugged. That's a lot of words.

That hostess wallpaper I mentioned yesterday also went live this morning - you can download it here.

IrishNinja

Lambtron said:
Sounds like Kmart will be giving Y3 free with purchase of Y4. Definitely on this deal Day 1.

aw fuck, i literally just ordered 3 off amazon for like $20...and it wont be here until april anyway.

so, i finally played through 1, and just started 2 (great so far). what am i missing out on with the ryo no/spinoff games? theyre never getting translated or wha/are they any good? is 4 really the series finale?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game looks interesting. No need to play Y3 right inorder to understand this game?

Also, any possibility that Yakuza of the End would get localized?

IrishNinja

ok, so i found the CAD page mentioning Yakuza 4 with $10 coupon + part 3 (!), but kmart's website doesnt list anything. how do i know this is legit? do i gotta jump on it locally? id really love to do this and cancel my amazon order if they're not gonna match.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ULTROS! said:
The game looks interesting. No need to play Y3 right inorder to understand this game?

I'm assuming there will be a recap movie. It might be worth running through if you care though, because I still think the orphan moments were the best gaming moments that I had last year.

ULTROS! said:

if yakuza 4 sells well enough, i don't see why not. i assume of the end could even top previous games, because it looks like a trash flick.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
IrishNinja said:
ok, so i found the CAD page mentioning Yakuza 4 with $10 coupon + part 3 (!), but kmart's website doesnt list anything. how do i know this is legit? do i gotta jump on it locally? id really love to do this and cancel my amazon order if they're not gonna match.

I'm pretty sure all the deals for kmart are in store only. Anything you see from Cheapassgamer about kmart is 100% legit. The guy posting the deals works for Sears/Kmart and is such a cool dude. If you ever have any problems with the deals or whatnot about kmart, just pm him at CAG and he'll sort out any problems you have asap. I freaking love kmart now because of what he's been doing and i've been buying all my new releases there. Also if you go to kmart sign up for the rewards card and opt in for emails so you can receive the kmart points.

Replicant

Noisepurge said:
Bonuses on what retailers? I have two pre-orders in and neither have these :(
EB Games Australia: Kuro steelbook + Yakuza 4 bowl + chopstick + calendar + DLC.

JB Hifi and Game Australia: Shiro steelbook + Yakuza 3 (or Yakuza t-shirt) + DLC.

Wish there's retailer that offers Kuro + Yakuza 3 /greedy

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Anyone in the UK know specifically which retailers are offering what?

So far I've found:

GAME: Steelbook (with DLC)
HMV: Normal Edition w/ pre-order T-Shirt

Replicant said:
EB Games Australia: Kuro steelbook + Yakuza 4 bowl + chopstick + calendar + DLC.

JB Hifi and Game Australia: Shiro steelbook + Yakuza 3 (or Yakuza t-shirt) + DLC.

Wish there's retailer that offers Kuro + Yakuza 3 /greedy

I'm going to ask my local EB to match JB's offer :D

Not very interested in the chopsticks and poster set.

Replicant

OneMoreQuestion said:
I'm going to ask my local EB to match JB's offer :D

Not very interested in the chopsticks and poster set.
If you're successful, let me know please. I want Kuro + Yakuza 3 too.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ULTROS! said:

Zombie = West love zombies, so I think there is actually big chances for it, but SEGA need to release an English version of the best Samurai game ever first.

Kenzan or burst.

Larsen B

Totobeni said:
Kenzan or burst.

Ps11.jpg

IrishNinja

AwesomeSauce said:
I'm pretty sure all the deals for kmart are in store only. Anything you see from Cheapassgamer about kmart is 100% legit. The guy posting the deals works for Sears/Kmart and is such a cool dude. If you ever have any problems with the deals or whatnot about kmart, just pm him at CAG and he'll sort out any problems you have asap. I freaking love kmart now because of what he's been doing and i've been buying all my new releases there. Also if you go to kmart sign up for the rewards card and opt in for emails so you can receive the kmart points.

ah, great to know - thanks man! i love the steel cases & some other bonuses, but that deal's too good to beat. barring amazon or someone pricematching, ill hit up my local shop on the 15th next month & hope they dont look at me stupid when trying to ring up both games, heh.

RedSwirl

Finally played the US battle demo. It was okay but didn't show a lot. Then I finally booted up the Japanese demo that I downloaded a year ago, and the story mode did a much better job of selling me on the game despite being in Japanese.

Just when you think Sega has learned they skimp out on the best part of the demo.

RedSwirl said:
Finally played the US battle demo. It was okay but didn't show a lot. Then I finally booted up the Japanese demo that I downloaded a year ago, and the story mode did a much better job of selling me on the game despite being in Japanese.

Just when you think Sega has learned they skimp out on the best part of the demo.
I've got to agree with this. Though I already knew what to expect having imported the game from Japan a year ago. I was really looking forward to an English story demo to hold me over until release.

androvsky

My guess is the Japanese story demo was deemed far too cutscene heavy for western gamers. If you don't wander off the path, the first two cutscenes are a good ten to fifteen minutes, for maybe three minutes of gameplay in between. And they're what a lot of gamers would call boring, since they're just some people talking about clan politics iirc (I ended up watching a translated playthrough of the demo on youtube). I think Yakuza 3 got noticed enough to get regular gamers interested in the franchise, so Sega's worrying about things like that.

Which is a shame since the Japanese story demo was huge, awesome, and ended on a great cliffhanger. The story demo would've been nice to have in order to alleviate fears about cut content too...

TylDurden

Banned
Cant wait for 4. Played 1 and 2 back to back last spring preparing for 3. That first 10 hours of babysitting lost me and I put it down until about December. Once I got back to Kamurocho (which I thought I was sick of) made it all better. The graphics and exploration of 3 totally sucked me in and the simpleness of the story was a relief as well. 4 will only be better. I didn't touch a single mini game in 3 but I'm still glad they did a full localization this time.

IrishNinja

*sigh* checked my local kmart, they dont even seem to have Yakuza 3 in stock. any chance other chains (hopefully amazon) will do this buy 4, get part 3 deal? i really hope so, no idea how im gonna swing it otherwise.

oh, and - forgot to ask: since im playing 2 and it's thankfully in japanese with subs, i can expect the same of 3 and 4, yeah? please say yes.

Go319

Ok possible Yakuza newbie here, im thinking buying this game...i saw a deal at a local store, ltd edition copy of pt.4, comes with Yakuza 3 free.

can somebody explain the game...is it like the godfather but japanese? or am i waay off?

also im a sega fan, what teams are behind this brand?

IrishNinja

^nah, not godfather; more yakuza/martial arts flick-drama with classic beat-em-up engine. its really good.
what store did you see that deal? id jump on a limited ed + free part 3 if the price was right.

ps thanks Vard, just wanted to make sure.

GreatSage

Banned
Go319 said:
Ok possible Yakuza newbie here, im thinking buying this game...i saw a deal at a local store, ltd edition copy of pt.4, comes with Yakuza 3 free.

can somebody explain the game...is it like the godfather but japanese? or am i waay off?

Grand Theft Auto with more intricate hand-to-hand combat and RPG elements.

Producer of Super Monkey Ball series, NiGHTS: JiD, and some of the Sonic games from the 00's.

hamchan

Go319 said:

Team CS1 who used to be Amusement Vision who made the godly F-Zero GX!!

Also I wouldn't say it's like the godfather. It's like a J-Drama crime story lol.

Yakuza 1 has the best story in the series imo.

Go319

GreatSage said:
Grand Theft Auto with more intricate hand-to-hand combat and RPG elements.

Producer of Super Monkey Ball series, NiGHTS: JiD, and some of the Sonic games from the 00's.

great thanks, im sold on the list of games right there...and i watched a bit of gameplay over on youtube.

I think the pre-order deal is too good to pass up, will go 4 it :)

GreatSage

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
Sorry to disappoint potential importers, but I believe the website specifies that you only receive Yakuza 3 when you PICK UP the order.

Considering you can get Y3 for about $20, you're basically paying 90 bucks for the steelbook. Is that a good deal?

Go319

IrishNinja said:
ah, #$%@, of course it's australia...you guys really get better stuff sometimes, heh. it's almost double what im looking at the deal here to be (before shipping)...thanks though man, ill keep looking.

happy to get u this deal if u want and fwd it onto you. where r u based?

is this edition really only available in Japan?

Top Bottom