• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 HD/龍が如く5 夢、叶えし者 |OT| - Fulfiller of Dreams

CXihju1.png

Yakuza 5 (Japanese: 龍が如く5 夢、叶えし者), is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Sega for the PlayStation 3. The game is the fifth main entry in the Yakuza series. The game was released in December 2012 in Japan, and localized for North America, Europe and Australia as a PlayStation Network download in December 2015. The remaster with improved resolution and frame rate is due to release in 20 of June, 2019 in Japan for the PlayStation 4, no signs of releasing in the West so far.

The game features a new graphics engine (the engine before Dragon, with was used in "Ishin", "0", "Kiwami 1" and "Hokuto ga Gotoku"), unlike previous PS3 games in the series that have been re-utilizing the same engine since Ryū ga Gotoku "Kenzan!". For the first time in the series, it features five settings across Japan along with five playable main characters.

The game's gameplay is relatively similar to previous games in the series, with a few changes. Similar to past games, gameplay is divided into two components being Adventure Mode and Combat Mode. Adventure Mode allows players to explore different areas and play sports across the city including mini-games. The cities also are significantly bigger than previous games, providing more areas to explore in the game and it is in fact the game that features the greatest volume of play spots across cities in the series' history. The change between the game's Adventure Mode and Combat Mode is also said to be more seamless than previous games, which involved a transitional change when encountering enemies whilst in adventure mode. Controls for the game have also been improved "dramatically" as with the tempo of the game's combat mode in further with the HD edition, in 60fps/1080p.

The game features five main protagonists, the highest number of main protagonists of any game in the series, with the previous highest being Yakuza 4's four main protagonists. The game features series protagonist, Kazuma Kiryu, the main character since the original Yakuza game. There are also two returning protagonists from Yakuza 4, namely Shun Akiyama and Taiga Saejima. One of the new main protagonists is Haruka Sawamura, a recurring character of the series since the original game. Though she has always been an integral part of the story, she has never been a playable main character before the game. Lastly is Tatsuo Shinada (Toshiyuki Morikawa), a new character to the Yakuza series.

For the first time in the series, the game features five distinct locales across Japan. First of which will be returning from previous games is Kamurocho (a.k.a. Kamuro City), a fictionalized yet realistic recreation of Shinjuku's red-light district, Kabukichō. Second is Sōtenbori, a fictional Osaka district based on Dōtonbori, which is returning from Yakuza 2. The three new cities in the game are Nagasugai, part of the fictional Fukuoka based on Nakasu, Tsukimino, part of the fictional Sapporo based on Susukino and Kin'eicho, part of the fictional Nagoya based on Sakae.

Iykb4u4.jpg

KItZ0f2.jpg

Yl9S2eX.jpg

fFN3zE8.jpg

tWapzxW.jpg

Trailer:

You can buy the game at the japanese PSN right now, and its gonna release for us 12 hours from now.

Vlaphor

You can buy the game at the japanese PSN right now, and its gonna release for us 12 hours from now.

I didn't know the game had been announced for the West at all, much less within 12 hours of the Japanese launch.

I really liked Y5, but I doubt I'd play through it again, especially considering I just beat Kiwami 2 a couple of days ago.

I didn't know the game had been announced for the West at all, much less within 12 hours of the Japanese launch.

I really liked Y5, but I doubt I'd play through it again, especially considering I just beat Kiwami 2 a couple of days ago.
I didn't say that.

kunonabi

Currently playing the ps3 version, im not touching these shit remasters, and I'm really liking it. Cutscene direction and camera work isnt quite as impressive as 4 and the ui is bit sluggish but I'm really enjoying it otherwise.

Kazza

It's great that people are getting the chance to play this at 1080p/60fps (or 4k/uncapped fps for the inevitable PC version). Although I had a lot of fun playing it on PS3, it does tend to lag at around 25fps when walking through crowded areas, plus things like fences and electrical wires look absolutely awful at low res.

Verdanth

One of the best Yakuza Games if you ask me.

The content value you get in this game is over the top, better than 0 (which is the best Yakuza for me).

If I hadn't bought the physical japanese version to complete my Yakuza collection, I would certainly buy this one.

Last edited:
Hope it comes to the west soon-ish. Right now the PS3 version is 80% off and to be honest, it tempts me

ED: Fuck it, I bought it on PS3 for 6€. That's too cheap for me to wait.

Last edited:

Kazza

Hope it comes to the west soon-ish. Right now the PS3 version is 80% off and to be honest, it tempts me

ED: Fuck it, I bought it on PS3 for 6€. That's too cheap for me to wait.

Haha, enjoy! Although it does have some frame-rate issues, it's still a fun time. It's a huge game though (almost like 5 games in 1). Consider taking a little break between each of the chapters to avoid burnout.

KiteGr

Ok. Now all that's left is a proper retail Bundle of 3, 4 and 5 for me to finally buy and play the rest of this series.

bArTl3bY

Ok. Now all that's left is a proper retail Bundle of 3, 4 and 5 for me to finally buy and play the rest of this series.
I'm sure hoping we get something. I've played 3 and 4 on PS3 and could probably manage the Japanese version with a guide. Would love to have the full US collection on my shelf though.

Top Bottom