• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YAKUZA 5 LOCALIZED FOR PS3

Think the Platinum is tough? Try going for 100% in-game completion in Yakuza 3! Just dug up my pics from back in the Dead Souls thread two years back, haha!

100_0982.jpg

The "F" in Haruka's Trust stands for "Fuck that shit, I'm not spending another 50 hours grinding out MORE minigames!"

100_0984.jpg

All Challenge Mode S Ranks GET!

100_0989.jpg
There's a guy on my friends list who platted twice the game (JP and western versions). He's got like every possible Yakuza / RGG platinum. I'm not shitting you.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of starting with either 4 &/or Dead Souls (since it's like Dead Rising from what I've heard). Would those be good games to start with? They'd probably get added to a back-log, but at least they'd only cost $15 each at the most.

Don't start with Dead Souls, it's very much a fanservice game for big fans who know the world and characters. That may sound patronising but I don't mean it to be, the controls are....'quirky' to say the least. I know some will say awful but I think it just takes a lot of time to adjust to them and had no problems after playing it for a while. I also think fans get the most out of that game due to references, characters etc.

I'd start with 3 if you can and if not then 4.

Should I start with the PS2 games or with Yakuza 3?

edit: I now remember that I actually bought Yakuza 2 many years ago but only played it for 2 hours max the day I bought it and never touched it again for unkown reasons.

so you have 2 still? Thats what usually stops people from playing the first two. The second game is extremely expensive. 3 is completely understandable without playing the first two though

If you can, 1. If not, 3/4.

I started with 3 and I think it's fine. Although I assuming playing through 1 and 2 is more fulfilling than simply watching the recaps.

That said, I don't think I can deal with an English dub version of Y1.
so you have 2 still? Thats what usually stops people from playing the first two. The second game is extremely expensive. 3 is completely understandable without playing the first two though

I will start the adventure as soon as I get my hands on a copy of Yakuza 1.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Keep in mind that every Yakuza game has a 'previously on Yakuza' button to go through the prior games. And that Yakuza 1 has loading for every random battle which is a HUGE pain in the ass. As amazing as the story in 1 is(and how incredibly important it will be for 0 when we get that. Yes, I said WHEN we get that).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Don't start with Dead Souls, it's very much a fanservice game for big fans who know the world and characters. That may sound patronising but I don't mean it to be, the controls are....'quirky' to say the least. I know some will say awful but I think it just takes a lot of time to adjust to them and had no problems after playing it for a while. I also think fans get the most out of that game due to references, characters etc.

I'd start with 3 if you can and if not then 4.
Ah, okay, so only get Dead Souls if I like the main games.

I don't know if I'd have the time to play both 3 & 4, so I figured I'd get the newest one, i.e 4. Would I missing a lot story-wise if I played 3 later?

Keep in mind that every Yakuza game has a 'previously on Yakuza' button to go through the prior games
Ahh, okay, so 3 should be summed up when starting up 4.

Tenrius

The PAL version seems to be much cheaper, ~£7 vs. ~$30 on Ebay.

I don't know if I'd have the time to play both 3 & 4, so I figured I'd get the newest one, i.e 4. Would I missing a lot story-wise if I played 3 later?

No, you wouldn't lose a lot. And it actually would be better if you didn't watch the recaps. The stories are pretty much self-contained in these games, there's a reference or two and that's more or less it. So the games can really be played in any order. I played it like this, for example: 1 → 4 → 3 → 1 (again) → 2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Yeah. But keep in mind, if you get confused, it's fairly normal. As long as you grasp the main playable characters and their storylines, you're fine. I've played all of them thoroughly since the first, and I've even forgotten a good bit of stuff just because they constantly add characters/remove characters/add more characters. It's got as many twists as a J-Drama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I think 3 is amazing though. It's just such a different type of game not only from the Yakuza series, but also from all games of its type. It's the boring, tedious parts of a GTA game done really well.

HIR0

This was a megaton.
Extremely happy this was announced.
The fights are more integrated in encounters with enemies.
lFJ7IVw.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah plus gameplay wise it's very different, it's a quirky zombie shooter rather than the traditional beat em up/RPG the series usually is. When I talk about controls I'm talking specifically about this game as well, nothing wrong with the mainline series controls. This was the teams first shooter before they made the awesome Binary Domain and it feels like it as well, a strange mix of traditional Yakuza controls and shooter controls.

Mooreberg

Very glad this is happening. I did not want Dead Souls to my lasting memory of what is otherwise one of my favorite franchises of the past decade.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think 3 is amazing though. It's just such a different type of game not only from the Yakuza series, but also from all games of its type. It's the boring, tedious parts of a GTA game done really well.
Hmm, well 3 is slightly cheaper than 4 (I'm seeing 4 for $15 max, while 3 is $10 max). Maybe I'll play that one first, then if I like it, get 4 to continue the story. Seems like each one will last me quite a while, especially if I aim for platinum.

JayEH

the active userbase of those who buy games is much greater on ps4 than the ps3 at this point. the fact that this likely the final ultimatum for the series in the west (hard to believe this is like the 3rd attempt in establishing it), + the fact it'll only be available on a console with a diminishing base of active gamers worries me.

but then i really think sony just needs to bayonetta this shit and fund localizations to bolster its portfolio as its a unique game that has been exclusive (wii u struggle port of 1+2 hd doesn't count lawl) to playstation for its entire tenure.

Yes but the people who would buy this are mostly the most hardcore of players who would buy this on PS3. Moving it to PS4 would not make it sell a bunch more copies.

How many people will whine about no physical release?

Good job Sega, I'll try to buy it if I don't forget, though I'll most probably not do it day one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmm, well 3 is slightly cheaper than 4 (I'm seeing 4 for $15 max, while 3 is $10 max). Maybe I'll play that one first, then if I like it, get 4 to continue the story. Seems like each one will last me quite a while, especially if I aim for platinum.
I think 3 is impossible to platinum and that the people who did it must be using some voodoo magic. lol

LiK

all their stories are directly connected so it's great to go from one to the next and see what happens. hell, even characters from sidequests have ongoing stories from one installment to the next. it's great.

i love them so much.

MOTHER.

FUCKING.

YAKUZA 5.

The weird fucking thing is that I stopped playing my import version some months ago because I was struggling with the language. I picked it up again TODAY because I felt like my Japanese had improved enough to keep playing... just to see this news.

So I'll have a physical copy of Ryuu ga Gotoku 5 and a digital copy of Yakuza 5 sometime in 2015...I am so freaking fine with that :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
all their stories are directly connected so it's great to go from one to the next and see what happens. hell, even characters from sidequests have ongoing stories from one installment to the next. it's great.

i love them so much.
Yeah, sounds like I should start with 3, then. Thanks to all for the advice. Kind of hope I can get into the series, especially since 3 & 4 aren't that expensive now. Edit: Seems my GS only has Yakuza 3, as their site doesn't have 4 listed at my store.

salromano

Hi, gaiz.

So I'm looking at this PR contact list Sony gave out on its press site for third-party assets.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

(I've blacked out the names and e-mails.)

Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, but I'm contacting Sega now and will report back.

YoungOne

I wonder since the it is the 3rd party relation team that pushed for this I wonder if it will be dubbed or will it stick to subs. I really hope it's the latter.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Less sales too. Good choice.

Less overhead, too. They don't have to print discs, print covers, or worry about shipping to retailers. They're trying to keep their costs down to a minimum here because the potential audience for Yakuza 5 is relatively small. I'm a big proponent of physical releases, but in this case I think it makes sense.

Prelude.

Hi, gaiz.

So I'm looking at this PR contact list Sony gave out on its press site for third-party assets.

And under Sega, it says:

http://i.imgur.com/1HBclmg.jpg[IMG]

Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, but I'm contacting Sega now and will report back.[/QUOTE]

YOOOO

[quote="Seraphis Cain, post: 142109863"]Less overhead, too. They don't have to print discs, print covers, or worry about shipping to retailers. They're trying to keep their costs down to a minimum here because the potential audience for Yakuza 5 is relatively small. I'm a big proponent of physical releases, but in this case I think it makes sense.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure as hell not buying it day one since digital prices are ridiculous and I'm not gonna pay €50-60 for a digital game. If Sony is involved, and they are, they should have stepped in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hi, gaiz.

And under Sega, it says:

http://i.imgur.com/1HBclmg.jpg

Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, but I'm contacting Sega now and will report back.
Man, Y0 hype.

I wonder since the it is the 3rd party relation team that pushed for this I wonder if it will be dubbed or will it stick to subs. I really hope it's the latter.
There's no way this will be dubbed.

kmax

Hi, gaiz.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

Y5 and Y0

giphy.gif

Yasumi

Banned
Hi, gaiz.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

0h gosh.

LiK

Hi, gaiz.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

THIS CANNOT BE A MISTAKE

Hi, gaiz.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

DA HELL?

Yuterald

There's a guy on my friends list who platted twice the game (JP and western versions). He's got like every possible Yakuza / RGG platinum. I'm not shitting you.

I hear that. These games can have that affect on you. I'm probably going to build an import collection for the series at some point in my life too because I like the series so much.

Going to buy this for the same reason I bought Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls. Shun fucking Akiyama. Kiryu can suck it!
EDIT: I just realized we still aren't getting Ishin. I would rather have that instead :/

Top Bottom