• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YAKUZA 5 LOCALIZED FOR PS3

Shengar

iB4Hq4EUrAPpP.gif
My reaction exactly
Hoping the translators fuck up somehow and this ends up being a reproducible glitch.

Holy fucking shit this is the most awesome thing I've ever seen from a Yakuza game, even if its a glitch.

MYeager

Zero may see a retail release since it's on the PS4 also. Of course that depends on if that listing is true.

Also, 5 seems to be considered the best in the series from those that have been lucky enough to play it already.

5 is good but 2 & 4 remain my favorites. Certainly has the most in terms of just shit to do though.

You guys are getting me hyped about Yakuza 0, knock it off, after finally hearing and about a western release for 5 I don't want to start getting my hopes up again so soon :)

Clov

I wonder if 5 ends the saga. The trailer looks a lot crazier than I expected it to be.

And I hope it gets a physical release. I'm sure P5 will, why can't this?

Sega works in mysterious ways, I guess. Personally I think a limited physical run would work out great, but who knows?

Shun

I would say at least start with 3.

I disagree only for those who can't play the Japanese version.

I've only played the JP versions but I heard that 20+ side quests, mini games, and what not were cut and censored in the Western version.

I don't know if it's the same for 4 and maybe 5, but find out which games are as true to the original as possible.

I love Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 and I felt that the side missions and optional stuff added to the setting and Kazuma's character. As much as I disliked the hostess clubs, it was part of his character and it was part of setting up the tone considering the context of the game.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 0 has a feature where you can bet on women catfights. It's... well... yeah. But it fit the context of the criminal setting and Kazuma's character...

Part of what makes the series fun isn't just the story, but the little things that get you involved and well acquainted with the character and setting.

Sgblues

That's actually not a glitch :X
The dude who made this video is known for model swapping in various games due to rooting his PS3

Here's the actual guy's video, don't know why there's a mirror of it :/

Yeah I was gonna point this out to people, thanks for doing this.

yami4ct

I disagree only for those who can't play the Japanese version

I've only played the JP versions but I heard that 20+ side quests, mini games, and what not were cut and censored in the Western version.

I don't know if it's the same for 4 and maybe 5, but find out which games are as true to the original as possible.

The western version of 3 has some stuff cut out, and that's unfortunate, but that's not to say the game isn't packed with content. I would recommend skipping right to 4 for numerous other reasons, but the cut content isn't really in that wheelhouse.

nimbusstev

Neo Member
Oh man, I totally missed this announcement. That is huge! Fans have been asking for this for years. I hope a lot of people do right and support this game now that it's getting localized.

Boy I am honestly surprised and excited by this announcement, including the digital releases of 4 and DS. I don't mind it being digital only, I'm just glad we're finally getting a localization...guess I should finish the import soon, hahaha.

Day one.

jetsetrez

This would be the best news of the show by a landslide, but man, only PS3 makes me so sad because it's not going to get any coverage and the majority of the audience is no longer excited to play on old systems, so it will inevitably bomb even if their expectations aren't unreasonable. And then that will insure we never get the PS4 games or further localizations. If it were PS4, at least it would have a fair chance because it would get coverage and there are a lot more people actively scrounging for great games early in the generation, and more willing to try new things if the quality is there.

Elios83

Really happy about this announcement!!!
Hopefully the PS4 games will follow suit if this sells as good as 3 and 4, although with PS3 fading a way it might be a challenge.

Dysun

Hi, gaiz.

So I'm looking at this PR contact list Sony gave out on its press site for third-party assets.

And under Sega, it says:

1HBclmg.jpg

(I've blacked out the names and e-mails.)

Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, but I'm contacting Sega now and will report back.
fuckkkkkkk yes

edit- well PR denied it, but I'll hope

Bladenic

I thought this game looked ace way back when, but I've never played a game in the series. How dumb is it to jump in with this game?

ZeroX03

Banned
I wonder if 5 ends the saga. The trailer looks a lot crazier than I expected it to be.

And I hope it gets a physical release. I'm sure P5 will, why can't this?

Sega works in mysterious ways, I guess. Personally I think a limited physical run would work out great, but who knows?

I don't think you guys realize just how badly Yakuza sells in the west. It was an absolute miracle they didn't can the series after the first one. Persona 5 will outsell this many times over.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
And I was just thinking about importing it the other day. This gives me hope for 0, so I guess that just leaves the two PSP games for me to continue the complete set.

Smart move getting 4 and dead souls on psn too. Gonna get a double dip from me and all the other digital only nutbags.

This is the greatest possible news. I was so happy when I got home from work and saw this.

We did it, guys. We fucking did it. Yakuza 5 in English!

They said it would never happen, but we never gave up hope. Mission accomplished!

Freddo

I'm so extremely pleased about these news, and will of course buy it right away. I also hope it sell well enough to make way for a western release of Yakuza 1&2 HD and Yakuza Zero.

t26

I disagree only for those who can't play the Japanese version.

I love Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 and I felt that the side missions and optional stuff added to the setting and Kazuma's character. As much as I disliked the hostess clubs, it was part of his character and it was part of setting up the tone considering the context of the game.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 0 has a feature where you can bet on women catfights. It's... well... yeah. But it fit the context of the criminal setting and Kazuma's character...

Part of what makes the series fun isn't just the story, but the little things that get you involved and well acquainted with the character and setting.

Even if you dont count the cut mission in Yakuza 3, it still has more mission than Yakuza 4 or 5. You are really only missing shogi, mahjong, hostess, and 20 submission (down to about 90 now)

Only thing missing in Yakuza 4 is the quiz mini game. They kept shogi and mahjong game this time.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/04/the-complete-list-of-yakuza-4-edits/

Shun

big aside: anyone know how to find the ishin demo on JP PSN? kind drunk but goddamn man

PS3 Demo
PS4 Demo

If these links work.

Of course it will! When I say limited physical print, I'm not talking about say, a retail printing of the game. I'm talking about a really tiny print, maybe around 3000 copies or so, that would only be sold through an online store. This is the same thing that Gaijinworks is doing with Class of Heroes 2G on PS3, and it's what NISA is doing with The Firefly Diary on Vita. Just a really small physical print to appease the hardcore fans, and then it never would be printed again. I'm sure it could manage a couple thousand units, really. If Class of Heroes of all things could, Yakuza should be able to.

Maybe a Sony store exclusive but I doubt it. Sega doesn't have an online physical store on their shop, it's a digital store.

There isn't a way for it to work without going through a middle man and in that case, that's unfavorable because this game needs to move as many units as possible.
This isn't a One Piece game where Bandai Namco can front the costs and hope the licensed material works.

Fans should be glad Westerners are getting it, and at a substantially lower price than the rest of the world.

Clov

I don't think you guys realize just how badly Yakuza sells in the west. It was an absolute miracle they didn't can the series after the first one. Persona 5 will outsell this many times over.

Of course it will! When I say limited physical print, I'm not talking about say, a retail printing of the game. I'm talking about a really tiny print, maybe around 3000 copies or so, that would only be sold through an online store. This is the same thing that Gaijinworks is doing with Class of Heroes 2G on PS3, and it's what NISA is doing with The Firefly Diary on Vita. Just a really small physical print to appease the hardcore fans, and then it never would be printed again. I'm sure it could manage a couple thousand units, really. If Class of Heroes of all things could, Yakuza should be able to.

Stark

Banned
My personal megaton. Couldn't believe they actually got it. I hope that Yakuza Zero mention by SEGA was a mess up. E3 Announcement please.

I know some of you guys said they should skip Ishin since they should prioritize mainline titles given the limited future of Yakuza here. But I hope they still do Ishin after 5 or Zero. I'm still quite excited for that game and the setting is right up my alley for it.

DeVeAn

Did my part own every US release and just got the digital versions of 4 and Dead Souls. Tell them youtubers to spread the word!!!

KyleCross

My hype boner is so big right now it could be used as a bench.

I'm still scared tho, it took this long and this much effort to get this one. Basically it was a moment of good faith by Sony to force the decision on Sega is how I'm seeing it. That isn't something that'll keep happening. This... this needs to sell guys. I want this series to keep going in America! I want Zero and Isshin too! Shit, we still need Kenzan!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
My $10 PSN vouchers from PSX are ready.

Crom

I always hear about Yakuza games. Are they actually pretty good? Always been interested. May have to download.

ZeroX03

Banned

3000 copies of Yakuza will be something like 10% of the total US sales, you know that right? It'd also have to be significantly more expensive, and they'd have get the disc certified, along with classification for some countries (some class digital games as a separate category), along with a bunch of other stuff. Let the physical dream die, a digital English release is them appeasing the hardcore fans.

The bolded isn't really a fair comparison, different companies profit in different ways and Yakuza really does sell worse than everything. Staff allocation is probably a lot different at Sega compared to NISA.

epmode

I always hear about Yakuza games. Are they actually pretty good?

They have this ridiculous combination of SUPER SERIOUS YAKUZA CLAN DRAMA plus PUNCHING TIGERS IN THE FACE. It's also pretty rad how there's a continuing storyline and you see characters change across the series.

Production values are great too. Most cutscenes are fully mocapped and run in realtime. And there are a ton of em.

Tizoc

It is a new day.
A new day in which we realize we one day closer to Yakuza 5 english release that has actually happened.
It is a good era to live in.

Mugen08

I registered for the Neogaf-forums the day Valkyria Chronicles PC was confirmed in order to join the celebrations, but sadly my account didn't verify until a few days ago. Now I feel equally happy for these amazing news. My old PS3 has more or less given up so will have to get a new one for Y5. Will also buy PS4 if Y0 turns out to be a reality. Sega-fans, know that I love your passion and will continue to sign petitions for more games (Y1&2HD for PC next?). You are all great!

I registered for the Neogaf-forums the day Valkyria Chronicles PC was confirmed in order to join the celebrations, but sadly my account didn't verify until a few days ago. Now I feel equally happy for these amazing news. My old PS3 has more or less given up so will have to get a new one for Y5. Will also buy PS4 if Y0 turns out to be a reality. Sega-fans, know that I love your passion and will continue to sign petitions for more games (Y1&2HD for PC next?). You are all great!

Man, that wasn't even a month ago. You kids are spoiled these days; it was years before my account got activated.

Haven't played a Yakuza game before but they look fun from having watched friends play for a bit. Might check it out.

Top Bottom