• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

cj_iwakura

dpsRtvc.jpg

HAVE THIS PLAYING FOR OPTIMAL EFFECT.

• Developer & Publisher: Sega
  • Platforms: PS3
  • Genre: Action-Adventure
  • Distribution: Download Only (22GB, 44 required for installation)
  • Price: $39.99 [US] | £32.99 / €39.99 [EU]

banner1.png

Kazuma Kiryu, once known as the Dragon of Dojima, was living a quiet life in Hakata after severing his ties with the underworld.
However, at the dawn of a bloody turf war, Kazuma is forced to accept his inescapable fate and return to a life filled with crime and violence to protect those he loves.

character1a.png

tumblr_nz0tehIF6Y1skns5ho1_540.gif

character2b.png

saejimaharuka.gif

character3b.png

harukaakiyama.gif

character4a.png

akiyamashinada.gif

character5a.png

banner2.png

Yakuza 5's combat is now faster and crazier than ever. Combat seamlessly ties into roaming, so you can expect to go from browsing Kamurocho to breaking jaws and chucking fools into canals in no-time flat.

Although Haruka is (sadly) delegated to the idol life and can't beat up idiots in the street(yet), each of the other four protagonists have wildly unique fighting styles to differentiate them from the rest of the cast.

In addition to the traditional free-roaming/beat-em-up joy that is a Yakuza game, you can expect the following:

Hi-Speed Taxi Drifting

Hunting & Gathering

Dance Battles & The Idol Life

Sega and Namco Arcade Classics
(Virtua Fighter 2 ONLINE!)

Too Many Mini Games To Count

And the ladies will love you for it.

banner3.png

Your Next Favorite (The Yakuza Series) - An Overview

The Yakuza 5 Interview (Part 1)
The Yakuza 5 Interview (Part 2)
The Yakuza 5 Interview (Part 3)
Yakuza recap (15m) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmo3RQb00U
Yakuza 2 recap (19m) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0tztXIse8I
Yakuza 3 recap (25m) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-jRKD1KI4w
Yakuza 4 recap (27m) -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOeiDUAU8U

banner5.png

Yakuza Community Thread

Yakuza 3 OT

Yakuza 4 OT

Dead Souls OT

Yakuza 0 [Import OT]

banner4.png

Story-wise, it pretty much ties with, maybe even surpasses, Yakuza 2 for me, which was my previous favorite. Gameplay-wise, it's definitely the best. So much stuff to do, with so much variety. Easily my game of the year.
finished it today, took me 115 hours!! The main story turned out be very good. And also, there are lots of funny and corny moments as usual. But I'm not sure it's as good as the second one. I'll get back RGG2, around cp.7 currently, later to see how it is.
Not to put words into anyone's mouth, but for me this is without doubt the best in the series. It has more content, more variety and a great story.
1) haruka, haruka, haruka. she may just be one of the best-developed secondary characters in gaming. very consistent from game to game, &, within the context of the series, very believable. her section of the game was surprisingly fun (& i suck at rhythm games), & funny...
2) not a big saejima fan, but his section was my favorite (& his 'other drama' was the only one interesting enough to get me to complete it)...
3) both the voice work & soundtrack were, as always, excellent. it's a tribute to the quality of the voice work that i could follow as much of the story as i was able to...
final impressions: well worth the effort. some of the usual elements ('tons of enemy' type fights, shirt-removal) felt a little tired at this point, but, hey, i'd probably complain if they weren't there at all, so i don't know :)

Gamekult Review [Translated]
Too full of good ideas, Yakuza 5 tries to do better than the previous title, forgetting that the best is the enemy of the good. Constantly interrupting his story with countless sub-quests as useless as wacky, Nagoshi and his army are drowning in a rich "bouillon". Certainly, there is over a hundred hours of fun in terms of content, but the main game, which is a scripted fighting game is too soften to eventually float correctly, erasing any priority in tasks. We had fun with Yakuza 5, but this great funny and badly paced mess will not make you dream like the previous title. You can get hooked by it, but dont get stung.

Gamespot - 8/10
If there’s one key feature from Yakuza 4 that this sequel capitalizes on, it is the value of having multiple stories. As much as Kazuma Kiryu could be effective as a solo protagonist, having four other playable characters, each with their own lengthy and fleshed-out storylines, adds immense value to Yakuza 5. These journeys are personal, and plot threads intertwine like those of a Tarantino film, and converge at the end like a narrative Voltron.
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
The story here is easily the series’ best, picking up after the events of 4 and delving deeper into the life of Kiryu Kazuma and his ragtag group of unsuspecting do-gooders. After five entries in the now-venerable franchise, it would be easy for Kazuma’s (mis)adventures to become stale or simply retreading of old territory due to running out of new story hooks. Yakuza 5 never once falls into either one of these categories, though, instead pushing forth the most character-centric, narratively interesting tale to date.

F.A.Q.

Will this get a physical release?
No, this is your only shot.

Should I play the previous games first?
If at all possible, absolutely. If not, see the digest videos above. Yakuza 4 includes them as well. If this is your first time, feel free to ask, and we'll fill in any blanks as best we can.

But I don't like dancing mini games!
vlcsnap-528326.png

The power of Nagoshi compels you.

Special Thanks
Aki-at for graphical help
Nezumi for the bio translations
Parakeetman for his inspirational import threads
the entire Yakuza community

and you, for supporting Yakuza 5.

Now GO GET THAT PAPER!
2329884-abzlot.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've spent 2015 getting ready for this.
The table is clear. Deep breath - missed ya Osaka.

Trace

Banned
God damn that is a sexy OT.

Hype!

Hadn't played a Yakuza before 4 last year, but it was easily one of my favorite games.

oneida

please remove link to yakuza 2 recap :( it serves only to spoil yakuza 2 and has no bearing on the narrative of any other yakuza game.

5taquitos

I can't believe it's here. For the longest time, I thought it wouldn't happen at all. Then dates came and went. But now it's here, installed on my dusty old PS3. I couldn't be happier.

Edit: Beautiful OT by the way!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Exceptional OP. Glad this is making it just in time for the end of 2015.

please remove link to yakuza 2 recap :( it serves only to spoil yakuza 2 and has no bearing on the narrative of any other yakuza game.

So don't click on it.

higemaru

Ugh, I wish I had a PS3/had money. I've been waiting years for this but my brother took the PS3 when he moved.

Do they explain why Kiryu abandons the orphanage or is it just played off like he never ran one?

Because generally a recap would include spoilers for the game so anyone who doesn't want spoiled on it would know not to.

*Yakuza 2 Recap* --> Click --> "Yakuza 2 is the second game in the series."

Yea, don't click on recap links if you don't want to be spoiled.

MoosiferX

So ready for this. The Mrs. and I bought a bunch of Japanese beer for shits and giggles and as soon as we can start playing it's on! :D

Great OT, btw!

Shun

I spent way too much time with Haruka and hosting akushukai...

The best RGG game, other than Ishin maybe.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Don't expect any new reviews yet, codes just went out today.

I think this is one of those cases where reviews are as irrelevant as can be for the majority of folk interested in this game.

Hope they sort out the discount soon and get it fixed.

Oh man, it just occurred to me that downloading the game means we'll miss out on Yakuza 5's install movie loop. I always liked it.

Ah well, it doesn't matter. We're about to play the friggin' game! I lost hope on being able to play Yakuza 5 years ago. I am so glad to be eating crow right now.

oneida

*Yakuza 2 Recap* --> Click --> "Yakuza 2 is the second game in the series."

Yea, don't click on recap links if you don't want to be spoiled.
the point is that if your goal is to catch up for 5, 2's recap won't do anything for your cause as it is an isolated story.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
how would anyone who hasnt played the games know not to?

Well, if they don't want a game they haven't played spoiled, most people will not click on a story recap video.

the point is that if your goal is to catch up for 5, 2's recap won't do anything for your cause as it is an isolated story.

No reason to not have it there. It's not a readily available game in the west, anyway, so if someone hasn't played it by now, a recap is pretty much their only option if they don't want to pay exorbitant secondary market prices.

3 years. It took a long time to get here, but we did it. It was almost bittersweet for a bit when it looked like this might be the last game we ever get in this magnificent series. Thankfully with the announcement for 0 that cloud's gone, and now I can enjoy 5 with no bad vibes. The general impression I've gotten is that overall it's the best game in the series, so I can't wait to explore every crevice of the game.

Thank goodness I impulse bought Yakuza 12 years ago because I liked the cover. Turned out to be one of the best purchases I ever made.

cj_iwakura

They still help make Kiryu the man he is in five, and there are some side-stories that continue to be built on in later games. It's there as an optional resource, nothing more.

Can't play until next week, but I have it all ready for when the time comes...........

Bought a £35 card today just for this. <3
I'd bought at least two others for that very purpose, but it kept getting delayed lmao

Top Bottom