• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 PS4 Japanese debut trailer

Fbh

I hope we get it.
It's the one from the main entries that I haven't played because when it came out I no longer had my PS3

sega needs to try to make actual good games

not to be rude to people that enjoy games. but its an incredibly generic game. I like my unique japanese creative stuff

someone get grasshoper to make a good killer game or something

Last edited:

not to be rude to people that enjoy games. but its an incredibly generic game. I like my unique japanese creative stuff

You like more nonsensical games like katamari damacy?

5 is my favourite one because it has the most locations and the most side content (0 has about the same). If you don't like the story that's fine but there is plenty of wacky in the side content.

I wonder if 5 will finally be a game with the same content as the oroginal.

Last edited:

Kazza

The remakes of 3 and 4 still haven't been announced for the US so I'm still skeptical.
And we still haven't got even Yakuza 3 western announcement, come on SEGA feed us MORE!

I think that Sega may have been worried that people in the west were getting all Yakuza-ed-out (they did release 0, Kiwami 1, 6, FOTNS and Kiwami 2 all in quick succession, so this is a reasonable fear). Another reason for the delay might be the fact that the previous Yakuza games weren't localised as well as the recent ones, so they might need time to polish them up a little (especially 3, which had a lot of content cut). I'm confident they well come to the west eventually.

I could understand someone not liking Yakuza for a variety of reasons (don't like Japanese culture, don't like long cut scenes, don't like long games, don't like beat'em up style fighting, don't like reading subtitles...), but being generic certainly isn't one of them! You can see that from how people were trying to describe it to newcomers before Yakuza 0 came out:
"It's basically a Japanese GTA"
"No it's not, it's like a Japanese Sleeping Dogs"
"No it's not, it's a spiritual sequel to Shenmue"
"No it's not, it's more like a modern Streets of Rage style RPG set in Japan"
...and so on.

Even now it's difficult to describe it in just a few words, it's such a unique genre-defying game. It's great to read reviews from newcomers to the series on Steam.

Kazza

5 is my favourite one because it has the most locations and the most side content (0 has about the same). If you don't like the story that's fine but there is plenty of wacky in the side content.

5 might be my favourite too. It's a huge game with so much content. I had already played 1-4 when I played 5, but was still pretty blown away by the first chapter. I loved the variety of storylines and gameplay:
- being a regular taxi driver, bonding with the other drivers, taking taxi jobs where you had to obey the rules of the road
- the drag racing substory
- the noodle house job
- I seem to remember going fishing to help a restaurant owner and becoming friends with him(?)
- and of course the regular fighting/arcade/mini-games/sub-stories

And that's all just the first quarter of the game!

I even really enjoyed the hunting and Haruka dancing sections. My only real criticisms of the game relate to its resolution and frame rate (which often dropped below 30 when walking through the streets). If I had known then that they would be remastered on PS4, then I would have waited.

D DeliciousDoc , do you plan on replaying it with the PS4 version? For me, I'll replay 3, as I felt that I rushed through that one a bit (plus the missing content which they will, hopefully, put back in). Even though I loved them, I think 4 and 5 are both a little too big to justify playing again, especially as I already have plenty of new games I want to play.

Soltype

5 is my favorite, you get to learn about 5 different Japanese cities and their cultures, and they all feel different.Hope these remasters hit the PC someday.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On the PS3, not the PS4.

Ah okay, that is what it was. They did a worldwide for the PS3, and 3, 4, and 5 remastered for PS5.

Which one was the spinoff that has Miyamoto Musashi? Never made it to the west, correct?

Kenzan was it?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Ah okay, that is what it was. They did a worldwide for the PS3, and 3, 4, and 5 remastered for PS5.

Which one was the spinoff that has Miyamoto Musashi? Never made it to the west, correct?

Kenzan was it?
I think Kenzan yes. I remember only playing the Japanese demo.

5 might be my favourite too. It's a huge game with so much content. I had already played 1-4 when I played 5, but was still pretty blown away by the first chapter. I loved the variety of storylines and gameplay:
- being a regular taxi driver, bonding with the other drivers, taking taxi jobs where you had to obey the rules of the road
- the drag racing substory
- the noodle house job
- I seem to remember going fishing to help a restaurant owner and becoming friends with him(?)
- and of course the regular fighting/arcade/mini-games/sub-stories

And that's all just the first quarter of the game!

I even really enjoyed the hunting and Haruka dancing sections. My only real criticisms of the game relate to its resolution and frame rate (which often dropped below 30 when walking through the streets). If I had known then that they would be remastered on PS4, then I would have waited.

D DeliciousDoc , do you plan on replaying it with the PS4 version? For me, I'll replay 3, as I felt that I rushed through that one a bit (plus the missing content which they will, hopefully, put back in). Even though I loved them, I think 4 and 5 are both a little too big to justify playing again, especially as I already have plenty of new games I want to play.

I think I will buy them again, especially 5 if it's the full game. There might be a bonus reward in the next mainline game too. I'm playing jugement right now, abbreviated as kimutaku ga gotoku by the online community, and they still have rewards for having save data from previous games (I only got 50000 for ryu ga gotoku save data though). I'm hoping the whole series moves to pc for preservation but that might take a while and they seem to be ok with kenzan being forgotten.

I played every game in the series but sold the psp ones. I didn't play the original ps2 games but I played the ps3 remaster. As far as i know nothing was changed.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Taxi Driving with Daytona sound. The memories.

Man, this game is a gem. One of the least favourite Yakuza for many people, but I really liked this one.

The diversity is on spot.

I would definitely buy it if I hadn't bought the japanese version to complete my Yakuza collection.

Last edited:

Kazza

I think I will buy them again, especially 5 if it's the full game. There might be a bonus reward in the next mainline game too. I'm playing jugement right now, abbreviated as kimutaku ga gotoku by the online community, and they still have rewards for having save data from previous games (I only got 50000 for ryu ga gotoku save data though). I'm hoping the whole series moves to pc for preservation but that might take a while and they seem to be ok with kenzan being forgotten.

I played every game in the series but sold the psp ones. I didn't play the original ps2 games but I played the ps3 remaster. As far as i know nothing was changed.

What do you think of Judgment?

What do you think of Judgment?

I'm not very far but it is different (in a good way) from what I was expecting. Its like the main series but it has more interactions. Like ryu ga gotoku with a layer of pheonix wright investigation. I haven't gone far enough to know if I participate in trials.

I just learned that some enemy attacks can lower your max health until you visit a doctor or use a med kit and got excited (I love stuff like this even if some might find it to only be an inconvenience).

Its an improved dragon engine game but there is a consistent "bug" where when the story makes you interact with an object like a door it plays the bump animation before the lockpicking or other interaction. There are finally new animations for npcs though and they look good.

I'm still in chapter one and haven't had a date yet. I get the impression those are improved too from the skill tree.

You unlock side content by befriending people in the city (like in zero) and they are a source of extra cases...or so the game says. Makes side quests more logical.

In my opinion this would be the hardest to play without knowing Japanese due to the added investigation layer. It would be doable with a guide since you can take your time replying... for now? The mobile game has timed responses for the cabaret club.

Last edited:
5 is the only one I haven't replayed, and I am waiting for the PS4 port to do so.

I get the Yakuza fatigue thing, but honestly I will buy and play every single one. This late fall/next spring seems like a quiet period for Yakuza in the west, so it would be a good time to get 3 and maybe even 4 out here.

Kazza

I'm not very far but it is different (in a good way) from what I was expecting. Its like the main series but it has more interactions. Like ryu ga gotoku with a layer of pheonix wright investigation. I haven't gone far enough to know if I participate in trials.

I just learned that some enemy attacks can lower your max health until you visit a doctor or use a med kit and got excited (I love stuff like this even if some might find it to only be an inconvenience).

Its an improved dragon engine game but there is a consistent "bug" where when the story makes you interact with an object like a door it plays the bump animation before the lockpicking or other interaction. There are finally new animations for npcs though and they look good.

I'm still in chapter one and haven't had a date yet. I get the impression those are improved too from the skill tree.

You unlock side content by befriending people in the city (like in zero) and they are a source of extra cases...or so the game says. Makes side quests more logical.

In my opinion this would be the hardest to play without knowing Japanese due to the added investigation layer. It would be doable with a guide since you can take your time replying... for now? The mobile game has timed responses for the cabaret club.

Thanks for the impressions, appreciated.

Top Bottom