• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 7 Announced (new turn-based RPG style battle system, set in Yokohama, Jan 16th Japanese release)

Kazza

Yakuza-7_2019_08-29-19_Top.jpg

Apparently, Yokohama will be 3 times the size of Kamurocho. Note that Kamurocho will also be a setting in the game, so it looks like we'll be getting 2 cities to play in. Of course, the new combat system is the most surprising thing. I wanted them to mix things up a bit for Yakuza 7, but I didn't expect this! Some footage of the new combat system:

This was footage their "April Fools" earlier this year. Combat should be similar:

It seems that this will be the combat system of the game, not just an auxiliary to the regular fighting system we all know and love.

Additional info added to OP:

Translation of the official Yakuza 7 website from Gematsu:

■ Introduction

The latest numbered entry in the Yakuza series for PlayStation 4, this is the story of new protagonist Ichiban Kasuga. In the new setting of Isezaki Ijincho in Yokohama, the story of the hot-blooded thugs stirred up by Ichiban Kasuga will begin.

If the protagonist changes, so does the gameplay. This is a new Yakuzaexperience!

New protagonist Ichiban Kasuga changes not only the story of the game, but also how you play.

■ Story

Yakuza-7_2019_08-29-19_007.jpg

Protagonist Ichiban Kasuga makes his way up from the depths of despair. Depicted until the becoming of a new “Dragon,” this is the ultimate story of overcoming the higher ranked and rising to new heights. The future is in your hands!

January 1, 2001. The yakuza Ichiban Kasuga, who belongs to third generation family of the Tojo Clan—the Arakawa Family—was asked to take the fall for the crimes of wakagashira Jo Sawashiro by his boss Masumi Arakawa, which he agreed to do. For the family that he loves, for the respect of his boss… Kasuga served 18 years in a strict penitentiary, and in 2019, was finally released.

However, there was no one there to greet him upon his release.

With no one to welcome him, Kasuga returned to his hometown of Kamurocho. But the Kamurocho was not the Kamurocho that Kasuga once knew.

Thanks to a police policy known as the “Kamurocho 3K Operation,” the Tojo Clan had fallen. The police and the Omi Alliance of Kansai yakuza had completely taken over. And the one who created this new Kamurocho was none other than Masumi Arakawa.

“How could the boss do something like this!?”

In order to ascertain the truth for himself, Kasuga went to go see Masumi Arakawa.

After getting past obstacles like Omi Alliance members and his former superior Sawashiro, Kasuga manages to make his way to Masumi Arakawa.

“Boss!”

A reunion 18 years in the making with the “Boss” he loved like a father, the yakuza he admired—But what awaited him there was not the smiling face of a reunion, but rather the cold barrel of a gun.

“I’m sorry, Ichi… you need to die.”

The gunshot echoed. Kasuga’s vision dimmed—.

“Wha….!”

While wandering the depths of life or death, Kasuga somehow regained consciousness. But when he came to, he was at a dumpsite in homeless town lined with cardboard houses.

“…Where am I?”

Kasuga’s question is answered by a homeless man.

“Ijincho… Isezaki Ijincho. This is Yokohama. Got that? Yokohama.”

■ Battle

Yakuza-7_2019_08-29-19_010.jpg

“Live command RPG battles” bring the fight of the “Dragon” to a new stage!

Yakuza 7 uses a “live command RPG battle” system that combines the series’ signature action with an RPG command system. It has evolved into a system in which anyone can easily enjoy exhilarating battles. In this completely new battle system, Ichiban Kasuga and his party will fight by selecting techniques with various effects such as attack, recovery, support, and more. Enjoy immersive and dynamic battles against all sorts of enemies.

■ Adventure

Yakuza-7_2019_08-29-19_011.jpg

A new setting: Isezaki Ijincho in Yokohama!

Yakuza 7 is set in the huge new area of Isezaki Ijincho in Yokohama, which is more than three times the size of Kamurocho in Tokyo. In Yokohama, where every place has different faces, a grand story will unfold.

■ Characters

Ichiban Kasuga (2000 version) (voiced by Kazuhiro Nakaya)

Yakuza-7_2019_08-29-19_014.jpg

The Tojo Clan is Kanto’s largest yakuza organization. Ichiban Kasuga is a wakashu of the Arakawa Family, a third generation family of the Tojo Clan. Since he was born in Kamurocho soapland Shangri-La, he is called “Soap Ichiban” by the older residents. Although he grew up without knowing his true parents, he was charmed by the manly spirit of Masumi Arakawa, who he met at age 15, and joined the Arakawa Family. Since then, he has lived with resolute loyalty to Arakawa, but since he is not good when it comes to earning money, he is shunned by the wakagashira Jo Sawashiro, who stresses the importance of money.

Yakuza-7_2019_08-29-19_016.jpg

He takes the fall for Sawashiro, who committed murder, at the request of Arakawa Family leader Masumi Arakawa, who is like a father to him. After that, he spends 18 years in penal servitude. After he is released, the Tojo Clan has fallen, and the Kansai yakuza known as the Omi Alliance has taken control over Kamurocho. Finding out that Masumi Arakawa was behind it all, Kasuga goes to see Arakawa to asertain the truth at its source.

See here for more info:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is this a good idea? Just like I don’t want to see my favourite turn based RPG turn in to ARPG, I don’t think it’s a good idea turn game a series that known and loved for it real time combat turn in to turn based RPG. If Yakuza team wanted make turn based RPG, then why not just make a new IP instead?

Kazza

Is this a good idea? Just like I don’t want to see my favourite turn based RPG turn in to ARPG, I don’t think it’s a good idea turn game a series that known and loved for it real time combat turn in to turn based RPG. If Yakuza team wanted make turn based RPG, then why not just make a new IP instead?

I feel so mixed about this. I think it looked great in that April fools joke video they did (at least we thought it was a joke at the time), but I never thought it would entirely replace the regular system.

Yeah, I don't think they should call this Yakuza 7 if it completely changes such a fundamental part of the game like this. Hopefully Judgment 2 (if it comes) will keep the traditional system.

I don't want to sound negative, it's a really cool idea, I just need to get my head around it all.

Barakov

Yeah, I don't know about this whole turn based stuff. At it's heart Yakuza was an action rpg.

EDIT : Actually, nevermind. I just watched that April Fools video again and this could be the greatest shit ever.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
since it's more of a jrpg, i'd get it

So we will have endless mobs challenging us and then we have to wait a whole minute to set up the Battle UI like Skies of Arcadia?

I am curious but hesitant.

Danjin44

It would have been nice to see Yakuza team’s own spin on turn based RPG with new IP.

Virex

Banned
Can't wait. I'm always ready for some more Yakuza. I'm seeing all the "i'll pass or fuck off" posts here. And none of those posts have actually played it and only saw a small glimpse of it. Probably not a real Yakuza fan. I applaud them for taking a risk. And I can't wait for the English release.

Last edited:
Turn based and we get it later? This isn’t the nineties. Turn based will pretty much kill the franchise in the west. The series could do with a better battle system, but please not turn based!

I like the turn base combat from what I have seen. The problem with standard combat is that It happens too frequently and become boring

The Shepard

Should have done a persona style spin off with turn based combat first. This would have suited a handheld game better. I'll reserve judgement till when it's out but its slightly put me off as I loved the combat in yakuza and was evolving with each game nicley.

Last edited:

mejin

2020 in the western market too, fuckn knew it. Man, this is going to be something new, can't wait.

Ellis

They're just experimenting before going back to normal with Yakuza 8 and my boy Kiryu. I trust SEGA.

Shouldn't really have been a numbered entry, though.

Shouta

I'm pretty excited to see what this brings even if it's a weird decision. If it's something like the April Fool's footage, I'd be down for that.

It does look like they borrowed some UI designers from the Persona team though

Dunki

I'd be so into this if I wasnt so let down by the yakuza team recently.

What did they do? Last game was Judgement and Kiwami 2 which both were great
They're just experimenting before going back to normal with Yakuza 8 and my boy Kiryu. I trust SEGA.

Shouldn't really have been a numbered entry, though.
Noi Kiryu is done. He got a nice ending in 6.

Honestly.This looks awesome

EDHRBZ4U8AAwsQG

There will be DragonQuest references in this game and 8 Bit Music because Ichiban loves video games

Dark_Rainbow

Neo Member
I dont mind a change, since the series has ended with Yakuza 6. So despite the name, I am considering it a reboot so hell yeah I am going to enjoy it.

EDMIX

Maybe the felt like they did all that they could do with the old style, I mean they did like 10 damn games using that style, I'm 100% ok with this. aka Day 1

Last edited:

Danjin44

Maybe the felt like they did all that they could do with the old style, I mean they did like 10 damn games using that style, I'm 100% ok with this.
So why not just make new IP instead? They should take a break from Yakuza series for a while and give fans a chance to miss the series.

Dunki

So why not just make new IP instead? They should take a break from Yakuza series for a while and give fans a chance to miss the series.
That would be fucking stupid. Yakuza right now is on is height in terms of popularity. Especially in the West it would be stupid to take a break now.

And hell this looks fucking great^^

Last edited:

Danjin44

That would be fucking stupid. Yakuza right now is on is height in terms of popularity. Especially in the West it would be stupid to take a break now.
You have a point, this might end up being sucsses for them.

Kid Icarus completely changed its gameplay style with Uprising and that turned out great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom