• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

cj_iwakura

4af1ffx.png

Yakuza (originally released in Japan as Like a Dragon (龍が如く / Ryū ga Gotoku) is an action-adventure series developed and published by Sega.

The story follows a yakuza named Kazuma Kiryu, who, after spending ten years in jail for a crime he did not commit, learns that 10 billion yen has been stolen from the Tojo clan, which the criminal underworld is searching for.

The games primarily take place in the fictional district of Kamurocho, a realistic recreation of Tokyo's Kabukicho.

Yakuza is an open world action-adventure game with RPG elements: the player gains experience from combat, which can be used to level up Kazuma's stats and increase his fighting capabilities.

In addition to beating the hell out of stupid gangsters, you can take on a variety of fun activities including but not limited to: batting cages, mahjong parlors, pachinko, classic Sega games, hostess bars, cage matches, hostess bar management, table tennis, billiards, and nights on the town.

Herein we can discuss the assorted Yakuza titles, and FEEL THE HEAT.

PIPs98i.png

256px-Yakuza-sega.jpg

Release date(s) [PlayStation 2)
  • JP - December 8, 2005
  • NA - September 5, 2006
  • EU - September 15, 2006

The legend of the Dragon of Dojima begins here.

Yakuzagameplay.jpg

Although notoriously known as the only Yakuza game to be dubbed in English, it's still very much worth a play, and I feel the dub isn't half bad at all.

But don't take my word for it, ask Mark Hamill.

You can also experience Y1 in the original Japanese via the PS3/WiiU HD versions(section forthcoming).

4nnWu1e.png

Yakuza2.jpg

Release date(s) [PlayStation 2]
JP - December 7, 2006
NA - September 9, 2008
EU - September 19, 2008

One year after the end of Yakuza 1, Kazuma finds himself embroiled in a gang war raging across multiple cities for control of the Tojo Clan.

220px-Osaka_Dotonbori.jpg

Yakuza 2 features a new city: Sōtenbori, modeled after Osaka's Dōtonbori.

You can also punch tigers in the face.

tumblr_mvao5mn8HK1s3t6r6o1_400.gif

3h2Jl4C.png

Yakuza 1 and 2 are also available on the Wii U and PS3, however, they're only in Japan.

mbCdydl.jpg

So unless you feel up to importing, the PS2 versions remain the only way to play them in English. For now.

TAy66tO.png

ryu-ga-gotoku-kiwami-429353.3.jpg

Release date(s) [PlayStation 3 & 4]
JP - January 21, 2016

A full remake of the original Yakuza, now with more drama than ever!

And Majima.

Majima everywhere.

rzHEf8e.png

220px-Yakuza3_boxart.jpg

Release date(s) [PlayStation 3]
  • JP - February 26, 2009
  • NA - March 9, 2010
  • EU - March 12, 2010

The first mainline PS3 title, Yakuza 3 brings Kamurocho into the next(last) generation, as well as yet another new city.

R1.jpg

The US version received notoriety for removing the hostess bars, a fan-favorite segment, from the game in its entirety. Fortunately, the next release would rectify this.

R6.jpg

Yakuza 3 OT

IdrjjLT.png

255px-Yakuza_4_cover.jpg

• JP - March 18, 2010
  • NA - March 15, 2011
  • EU - March 18, 2011

Yakuza 4 was the first game in the series to feature multiple playable characters, and the only character second to Kazuma Kiryu in badassery.

Shun Akiyama.

Yakuza 4 OT

YDfJbLu.png

latest

• JP - December 6, 2012
  • NA/EU - December 7, 2015

As of now, the last PS3 mainline game in the series. Drive taxis, hunt bears, be an idol, rule the diamond with an iron bat.

Chase your dreams!

xQ2GUnc.png

The first strictly PS4 Yakuza title.

Kazuma Kiryu has to go beat up more people. News as it develops.

Spinoffs

LpZQMTf.png

A PSP series with two titles, focusing on an original protagonist named Katsuya.

Yakuza_PSP.jpg

1cSi4lq.jpg

A fan translation for the first game is pending.
1ekkh4J.png

The second lets you collect cats.

Also kick fools in the teeth.

bu3F0oH.png

YvaIC.jpg

Why beat up zombies when you can shoot them?

xSpeab9.jpg

I don't get it either. Still, it has just as much craziness in terms of mini-games and plot as the mainline games, if not more.

And you can live out the best karaoke scene in the entire franchise!

gif.gif

FLY AWAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Dead Souls OT

ZYycUji.png

Ryu_ga_Gotoku_Kenzan!_cover.png

A highly regarded spin-off taking place in historical Japan, and the first PS3 title. It was never localized, but there are VERY extensive translation guides online.

Yakuza_kenzan_screenshot_one.png

8kN9L0W.png

Some years later, a successor was released, which is both on the PS3 and PS4.
SxNPed5.png

NAHEZZv.jpg

It also was not localized, but I'm sure equally comprehensive guides exist.

9iY9U1c.png

The most recent release, another PS3/PS4 cross-release.

Import OT

Take control of Goro Majima and Kazuma Kiryu, and find out where the legend began.

Project X Zone 2(3DS) also features Kamurocho's finest!

riKYSd3.jpg

XbaS0x1.png

Like_a_dragon_yakuza_dvd.jpg

Uh, yeah, it's a thing. A very, very loose spinoff of Yakuza 1.

Worth watching for Majima.

LaD13.jpg

Special Thanks

LaD01.jpg

Toshihiro Nagoshi, you crazy creative diamond.
Sega, for continuing to innovate and persist in getting the series to thrive in the west, however arduous the task is.
Parakeetman, IrishNinja, Vard, and anyone who's ever contributed to the community.

And you, for taking up the gauntlet.

2329884-abzlot.gif

Now go get that paper.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
CJ you need to go redo that banner for Ishin since as mentioned there is no "Kenzan" in the title.

Nice to see the community thread up. Should give folks a place to discuss things when 5 hits. Hopefully folks waiting will get an announcement from Sega at the E3. Or we would like to think thats when they would be doing an announcement.

Surprised this thread didn't happen sooner! This series needs more love and attention.

If anyone wants it, here's a Kiryu avatar I made:

QGBv967.png

Parakeetman

But it lined up so nicely. :(
Anyway, 'fixed', heh.

Good stuff. :)

Its a damned shame that the Black Panther games never made it to the West esp the first one since the combat was so damned good in the game due to how the camera worked making a lot of the fights feel up close and personal. Esp the arena fights which was the main theme of the title itself were fantastic.

Second game was not as great as the first due to them replacing the MCs VA with some generic doink that totally removed all character from the MC and they messed up the camera work with the combat system that left it feeling quite unsatisfying in comparison. Not quite sure why that happened...

Great OT, just need a release date for Yakuza 5 now Hopefully Sega doesn't disappoint.

Hopefully we get one during Sony's press conference at E3. Adam Boyes save us pls

Also never say "Hopefully Sega doesn't disappoint." I've been saying that to myself for the past 5 years and Sega somehow always finds a way to crush more things I like every year

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Am soooo importing Black Panther if that fanslation gets finished.

Oh ya 1 & 2 HD was a thing. Wish that woulda got brought over!

I got 3,4,and dead souls last Christmas but haven't touched them yet. Will be going for the plats on all of them. How much of an annoyance/long haul am I looking at? I feel like if I did the baseball challenge in yakuza 2, i can do anything.

Great job on the OT! Yakuza is one of my favorite series of all time. So hyped for Yakuza 5... hopefully we'll see more titles localized in the future.

cj_iwakura

Rankings!

I've played 1, 4, Dead Souls, and am around halfway through 2, and so far:

4 > 1 > 2 > Dead Souls(which I still like mind you).

I also have 3, which I'll play after 2.

It bears repeating: I really liked 1's dub. Especially Date's voice. I missed him in Y2.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
have 1, ordered 2 today, have 4 and dead souls digitally. I've only played Y4 so far, I'm still in saejima's part.

I bought the first Yakuza on a whim with some pocket money when I was 14 without knowing anything about it. Very rarely ever did that, and to be honest I don't think I have since. Suffice to say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. 1, 2 and 4 have all spent time as my favorite game at one point or another, and 3 wasn't a slouch either. Any series where in the span of an hour I can punch a tiger in the face, take my adopted daughter to a Japanese fast food joint and beat up a group of old men dressed as babies deserves all of the sales in the world.

If Yakuza 5 and Persona 5 were the only games released stateside this year 2015 would still go down as one of my best gaming years ever. Heh, I'm sure all of my friends are tired of me trying to convince me to buy them.

Parakeetman

Am soooo importing Black Panther if that fanslation gets finished.

Oh ya 1 & 2 HD was a thing. Wish that woulda got brought over!

Im seriously surprised that Sega didnt try to go with a digital release of them. But at least you guys are finally going to be getting 5. So I guess that sorta evens it out. Though now the stressful wait begins to see if they will do Zero also, to make the series a full circle.

People hate on Yakuza 1's dub, but I personally loved it. In fact, I'd love dual audio releases so I could play it once through in each language.

Unfortunately these games sell peanuts and we'll be begging for digital scraps for as long as this series lives lol.

Also, great work on the OP.

cj_iwakura

Im seriously surprised that Sega didnt try to go with a digital release of them. But at least you guys are finally going to be getting 5. So I guess that sorta evens it out. Though now the stressful wait begins to see if they will do Zero also, to make the series a full circle.

I still hope they'll somehow do a physical of 5. That is a lot of gigs to DL.

And 0 looks way, way too plot heavy to import. That demo had like an hour of dialogue.

Dominator

Wish I could play 1 and 2 (don't have a PS2 anymore), but 3 is a good place to start I guess since I have no choice lol. I have copies of 3, 4 and Dead Souls so I'll probably play them this summer.

cj_iwakura

Wish I could play 1 and 2 (don't have a PS2 anymore), but 3 is a good place to start I guess since I have no choice lol. I have copies of 3, 4 and Dead Souls so I'll probably play them this summer.

Just make sure you watch the synopses. Not quite a substitute, but they're very thorough. 4 was my first game, and it clued me in nicely.

Parakeetman

I still hope they'll somehow do a physical of 5. That is a lot of gigs to DL.

And 0 looks way, way too plot heavy to import. That demo had like an hour of dialogue.

Isnt that guy who did the Kenzan and Ishin youtube vids doing one for 0 too? Its about the same as any game in the series with the dialog and such in the cutscenes.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
No Black Panthter 2 box in the OP?!

Throwing in a mention to Project X Zone 2 couldn't hurt either! And any other thing its crossedover in. Maybe the Yakuza movie to? lol

Rankings!
2 = 4 > 3 > 1 maybe?

I really did like 3 but the amount of cut stuff makes it feel direly empty. 2 edges out 4 in story just barely but 4's got sooo much more stuff ta do its crazy, plus ya know all the upgrades to the gameplay an what over the years. 1 could really use a true remake cause honestly its story isn't the best and clearly wasn't meant ta be part of a long running series considering how they killed off almost everyone introduced.

Parakeetman

Throwing in a mention to Project X Zone 2 couldn't hurt either! And any other thing its crossedover in. Maybe the Yakuza movie to? lol

2 = 4 > 3 > 1 maybe?

I really did like 3 but the amount of cut stuff makes it feel direly empty. 2 edges out 4 in story just barely but 4's got sooo much more stuff ta do its crazy, plus ya know all the upgrades to the gameplay an what over the years. 1 could really use a true remake cause honestly its story isn't the best and clearly wasn't meant ta be part of a long running series considering how they killed off almost everyone introduced.

2 had some of the best heat actions. Number 3 was great with the whole bruising and blood stuff, though after that they really toned it down. Whats odd though is in terms of the heat actions and such zero is by far the worst in the series personally. Felt like they rushed it. Which would explain the "still" scenes with voice. As there is no way they can call those an "design choice" when the rest of the titles have everything else be CG or in game engine done.

5taquitos

I got 3,4,and dead souls last Christmas but haven't touched them yet. Will be going for the plats on all of them. How much of an annoyance/long haul am I looking at? I feel like if I did the baseball challenge in yakuza 2, i can do anything.

The plats are definitely a grind, 3 more so than 4. I haven't gotten either yet, but I'll closing in on 4. I think I've given up on 3.

Parakeetman

The plats are definitely a grind, 3 more so than 4. I haven't gotten either yet, but I'll closing in on 4. I think I've given up on 3.

The baseball batting center stuff is about as soul crushing as that fucking Winnie The Pooh Home Run Derby flash game D:

Dueck

Banned
I bypassed the first two games initially (because I was more into the Xbox and 360 when they arrived), but as I had loved Shenmue, I never truly ignored it. I began my foray into importing with Ryu ga Gotoku 3, Siren: New Translation, and Demon's Souls in one fell swoop. It was like opening the flood gates... I drop about $1,000 on imported games each year now and I can't help it!

Aside from the PSP releases, the only one not in my collection is Kenzan!, though I once owned a copy of it. I had a hard time getting into it. A lot of people were critical of 3 (aside from the localization cuts), but I actually liked it a lot. 4 was still better though. And I honestly feel that releasing Dead Souls was one of the stupidest moves ever. I blame it for the heavy decline of the series in the west. I managed to enjoy it, but I knew it was not "mass market" level. Zero is totally amazing so far, though I got side-tracked...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Reminder that it took until Yakuza 4 for us to get a not crap boxart in the US (and europe to if they shared the same covers). I mean the first games one is kinda okay, but 2 just takes the same thing and greyscales it. 3's is well just look at it! That Dead Souls one dun look all that great to me either but maybe it fits the kind of game it is? Dunno cause I got no interest in playing it!

2 had some of the best heat actions. Number 3 was great with the whole bruising and blood stuff, though after that they really toned it down.
Oh ya 2 had some really nice ones and even team up Heats! I really am glad the bloody/bruising stuff was toned down in 4 cause honestly it was pretty gross ta look at >_<;

Parakeetman

I bypassed the first two games initially (because I was more into the Xbox and 360 when they arrived), but as I had loved Shenmue, I never truly ignored it. I began my foray into importing with Ryu ga Gotoku 3, Siren: New Translation, and Demon's Souls in one fell swoop. It was like opening the flood gates... I drop about $1,000 on imported games each year now and I can't help it!

Aside from the PSP releases, the only one not in my collection is Kenzan!, though I once owned a copy of it. I had a hard time getting into it. A lot of people were critical of 3 (aside from the localization cuts), but I actually liked it a lot. 4 was still better though. And I honestly feel that releasing Dead Souls was one of the stupidest moves ever. I blame it for the heavy decline of the series in the west. I managed to enjoy it, but I knew it was not "mass market" level. Zero is totally amazing so far, though I got side-tracked...

I honestly think as weird as it may sound they went and did Dead Souls to practice for Binary Domain. Since they had a bunch of resources already to use and could make a "fanservice" game for the Yakuza series fans. Or so they thought while at the same time give their team a chance to work on shooting mechanics and such, which were used in Binary Domain. At least thats how I saw it anyways. Still yeah it was a bit wtf with them releasing it since was totally off. Still though it was amusing using Majima in the game. At least now for an actual main line game zero fills that game nicely.

Though the one thing I found impressive with Dead Souls was how Akiyama's dual pistols his arms would actually track separate targets. First time Ive actually seen that done in a third person action game. Its too bad they didnt use that in binary domain as it looked pretty cool when it worked right.

cj_iwakura

I aim to please.

That took some digging...

Oh yeah, the movie is a thing isn't it... someone who's seen it is welcome to do up something and I'll add it to the OP.

HIR0

I aim to please.

That took some digging...

Oh yeah, the movie is a thing isn't it... someone who's seen it is welcome to do up something and I'll add it to the OP.

I have watched the drama that was based on the Black Panther psp games.
Interesting ending. I think it may also have a second season.

Great OT btw.
Subscribed.

My Yakuza 3 platinum is probably the best example of my unhealthy obsession with this series. I kept coming back to it, day after day, long after I beat the story and side missions, simply because I didn't want it to be over, since I knew it might the last time I will ever get to experience this world. Before I knew it, I had aced all mini games and gotten the plat. I felt so empty : (

Happened all over again with Yakuza 4, and will happen again with 5.

Believe me, I hate trophy-hunting, but what else can I do?

Pyccko

Hey, great job on the thread, man! Yakuza is my #2 favorite game series of all time (and creeping closer to #1 with every passing day without a new Shenmue) and it always does my heart good to see it get love on GAF. I still can't believe we're actually getting 5 in the west, it's such a damn miracle.

I'll never forget stumbling on the video playthrough of the first game by M0mmyDearest (now Strike Arranges) and getting hooked in immediately. Bought 1 and 2 right away and marathoned both. When the campaign to get 3 localized started, I was right there. It was a beautiful day when I saw an article on Kotaku announcing they were bringing it over and the support Sony gave that release was pretty rad (I mean they even did a segment on it in that video magazine they used to have
I actually bought that episode. It came with a Y3 theme lol
). It's also the first series I ever imported, once I realized Kenzan was absolutely never coming here. (I've since imported Isshin as well)

Anyways, again, great job! I'll see you all in the 5 OT!

Awesome OT, great work. Subscribed.

Hopefully we can discuss new things soon, with the release of the interview Gio Corsi did to Nagoshi and Yokoyama...

Kikujiro

Yakuza 3 has a complete all the minigames trophy, which will test your patience to say the least, I didn't do it because it's a waste of time.
Yakuza 4 platinum is easy and fun, the only problematic trophy is "fashionista", which may be glitched.
Dead Souls is a little grindy.

Parakeetman

Let's hope this series finally gets the popularity it deserves in the West.

Considering its digital only and cant really expect Sega to have any sort of marketing budget for 5. Doubt thats going to happen would be the realistic reading for the situation...

Not to mention folks would be wandering into the last game in the saga so that does not really help either. So there will be a lot of who is this? What is happening etc. Not even the flashbacks is going to fix that really.

Would be nice if 5 by some miracle does better than 4. Otherwise cant imagine Zero is going to find its way over at all without something short of Sony stepping in to fund it and even then its nothing really to be gained for Sony to make that sort of investment with the history of low turnout numbers.

Lucumo

Considering its digital only and cant really expect Sega to have any sort of marketing budget for 5. Doubt thats going to happen would be the realistic reading for the situation...

Not to mention folks would be wandering into the last game in the saga so that does not really help either. So there will be a lot of who is this? What is happening etc. Not even the flashbacks is going to fix that really.

Would be nice if 5 by some miracle does better than 4. Otherwise cant imagine Zero is going to find its way over at all without something short of Sony stepping in to fund it and even then its nothing really to be gained for Sony to make that sort of investment with the history of low turnout numbers.

No doubt about that. While I personally don't care about HD remasters, they really should have released 1+2 in the West. It was an opportunity at least.

Top Bottom