• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

IrishNinja

Heh, this reminds me. Everyone has to watch Sega's Yakuza 4 ad, the greatest thing ever.

...i don't know how i missed this for so long, but my life is richer for having seen it

A personal piece from an age now lost...

this is amazing, right here

here's to hoping kazuma kiryu is included in the next playstation fighting game.

kinda doubt we'll get another one, but yeah, his absence was a big bummer for me

For non console related pre-order stuff, this by far has got to be the best that they did for Ishin.

Next was the flask they did for Zero.

god, both of those are sexy...reminds me, a gaffer threatened years ago to send me Y4 extras (i think it was a rice bowl & chopsticks?), sadly never happened haha
before my OG PS3 died i looked high & low for a dead Yakuza 3 white shell to replace it with too, thing was so sexy

Ewww. Stop reminding people how awful Kazuma's taste in clothing is lol. He looks infinitely better in any other outfit he's worn during the series, including the wrestler one!

nah fam, my boy kazzy-chan's havin a hard time holdin those alligators down

I can support it without purchasing right o.o? Like by telling peeps how its prolly a great game just like the rest of the main series has been?

awareness is good, using your wallet to show sega/sony it might be worth their time to localize Zero is far more effective/important though!

IrishNinja

Segata Sanshiro (RIP) was not a fan of 5, but i'm still quite hyped. also cat-collecting in the 2nd PSP game sounds boss.

i just picked up 1/2 HD greatest hits for like $23 shipped on ebay, gonna import 5 for about the same price before it drops here. I'm holding off on importing Ishin to see if KHH subs does another fansubbed playthrough (his work on Kenzan! was excellent), and of course gonna wait on Zero over here because #BELIEVE

SephLuis

Segata Sanshiro (RIP) was not a fan of 5, but i'm still quite hyped. also cat-collecting in the 2nd PSP game sounds boss.

i just picked up 1/2 HD greatest hits for like $23 shipped on ebay, gonna import 5 for about the same price before it drops here. I'm holding off on importing Ishin to see if KHH subs does another fansubbed playthrough (his work on Kenzan! was excellent), and of course gonna wait on Zero over here because #BELIEVE

You know about this english guide, right ?

I have played Ishin and, as far I have seen from this guide, is pretty accurate.

LeoDiBlack

Neo Member
My fav Ryu Ga Gotoku's gotta be the second one... Dunno, dat ending got me, way too much manly feelings in a fight... or something.

BTW I'm one of those guys who's waiting for Sega to put Kiryu on Steam :D

Coxy

Always the arguments over which one is best, I feel like the only one who enjoys that they made them all feel so different while so much stayed the same.

I really hope we still get Zero because the whole overarching growth from a violent thug to the man he is in 5 is incredible.He changes so much in so many ways yet at every stage I've liked him as a character, I dont know how the series doesnt get more credit for that.

IrishNinja

yeah if they put in the work, i can't help but feel Yakuza'd fill a great niche on steam...plus the modding community'd have a party with it

You know about this english guide, right ?

I have played Ishin and, as far I have seen from this guide, is pretty accurate.

i did not, thanks for that! thing is, with my Kenzan! playthrough thread, i tried to sync up the big cutscenes with my laptop & KHH's YT page to replicate the experience as best i could. i can only imagine the work it'd take a fan community to actually fansub an ISO/whatever down the road, but even then again while the game was amazing i had to miss so much of the experience (sidestories/etc), although in the time since KHH went back & fansub'd all those too.

I really hope we still get Zero because the whole overarching growth from a violent thug to the man he is in 5 is incredible.He changes so much in so many ways yet at every stage I've liked him as a character, I dont know how the series doesnt get more credit for that.

this is a great point, i really do like kazzy as a character & that (as well as the setting) are a huge pull for how great Zero looks to me

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
My love for the main man Kazuma is why I prefer 3 over 4 (still a great game). I just love playing playing the entire game as Kazuma, he's my bro. I also love the start of Yakuza 3 and think its great they spent at least a few hours on only the orphanage/the kids. Seeing how Kazuma changed from 1 through to 3 and then dedicating himself to those kids whilst still kicking major ass is why I love the big lug. Heart of gold but a mean mother fucker too.

I want Yakuza 5 right fuckin now :(

Kazuma isn't really a violent thug in 0. People who expect the game to be a representation of his wild Yakuza days would be disappointed. He hasn't really changed at all through all these games, that's what makes him so charming to me.

What 0 does provide however, is an explanation on how Majima became... the way he is lol.

So any news on that Kiryu Figma figure they announced a short while back? I regret not being able to get the previous 2 figures released and decided if anything I'm getting this one.

Astarte

So any news on that Kiryu Figma figure they announced a short while back? I regret not being able to get the previous 2 figures released and decided if anything I'm getting this one.

Nope. It doesn't even have a release date yet but I hope that it gets a Majima counterpart!

Ewww. Stop reminding people how awful Kazuma's taste in clothing is lol. He looks infinitely better in any other outfit he's worn during the series, including the wrestler one!
his choice of clothes is fine, he should just do black instead of grey or something.
kinda doubt we'll get another one, but yeah, his absence was a big bummer for me
why???? the playstation fighter exists, so they can't just ignore its potential series/franchise potential...

and yeah. kazuma would've fit perfectly right into the game. fighting his normal fighting way, and bursting into flames on the stages. and not to mention his presence would make sense since he's an unofficial mascot of playstation with yakuza's long running and continuing exlcusivity

Davide

I got Yakuza 4 with Plus, never played it and now it says it's expired. My membership renewal is fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

Gacha-pin

Nishiki pointed that out several times but I think Nishiki's taste is awful either lol

So is Goro chan :D
9eeeQAm.jpg

Aki-at

It's really hard picking a second place in the series as my favourite, 5 definitely takes the cake but 2, 3 and 4 all have their own brand of awesomness.

I liked the orphanage part the most so 3 wins.

My love for the main man Kazuma is why I prefer 3 over 4 (still a great game). I just love playing playing the entire game as Kazuma, he's my bro. I also love the start of Yakuza 3 and think its great they spent at least a few hours on only the orphanage/the kids. Seeing how Kazuma changed from 1 through to 3 and then dedicating himself to those kids whilst still kicking major ass is why I love the big lug. Heart of gold but a mean mother fucker too.

I want Yakuza 5 right fuckin now :(

My man. This is what I loved about Ishin and what I'm looking forward to in 0, I'd like a solo mainline Kiryu game just once more :<

A personal piece from an age now lost...

This is amazing.

Always the arguments over which one is best, I feel like the only one who enjoys that they made them all feel so different while so much stayed the same.

Dude was so violent in 1, became more balanced in 2 and completely different man in 3.

Evilisk

Just wondering, are there any other (crazy) Gaffers that have done an Extra Hard playthrough from scratch? (aka no New Game+, Extra Hard, start from level 1 again)

Yakuza 4's ending boss battles were so damn sick. The entire cutscene that led up to the fights really the set the tone. I love Kazuma, but Akiyama is that fucking dude.

My favorite was Tanimura's. Just love how he leaps and almost nails that guy at the beginning of the fight. Also found his fight to be the easiest out of all the other four. The other bosses have annoying attacks but besides the guy with gun, you can just parry/heat parry/throw everyone until they're dead. Personally I found Saejima's the most annoying just because of that stupid tackle attack.

it seems like there are quite a few quests and interesting things cut from Yakuza 3 in the west, is 4 like this too? Its annoying that it even cut continuations of stories from the past 2 games.

dentoomw

There was a pretty big backlash on the cut content from 3 - AFAIK 4 didn't cut out anything. I think a lot of people, myself included, really enjoyed learning and playing a lot of the Japan-centric minigames. Like I pretty much learned how to play Hanafuda and Pachinko from the Yakuza games (still can't figure out Mah Jhong though, lol)

It's a darn shame the HD remakes of 1 and 2 never got a Western release, but I'm super happy that 5 is finally getting localized even if it'll only be digital.

Awesome OT, need to jump back in and beat Yakuza 2, but then I think I'll just skip 3 to get right to 4. Is this a bad idea? I've just heard 3 is a long one and not the most interesting story wise, and I want to beat 4 before 5 comes out.

I've always wanted to play one of these, but I'm the type of person who can't stand starting with anything but the first. I'm somehow hoping they get put up on PSN when the 5th comes out....or maybe I should just haul out my old PS2 and rent it from Gamefly. Either way I have to try these this year I think.

American Dream

Neo Member
Awesome OT, need to jump back in and beat Yakuza 2, but then I think I'll just skip 3 to get right to 4. Is this a bad idea? I've just heard 3 is a long one and not the most interesting story wise, and I want to beat 4 before 5 comes out.

I think this is a mistake. Yakuza 3 is completely solid and has one of the strongest stories of the entire series (maybe the best so far), saying this not having played 5 yet. It's also got Okinawa. Just take your time, it's not like the world is going to end tomorrow. Play this and then 4.

I thought 3 had a pretty good story overall and Okinawa was pretty cool to explore. It's just a slow burn. You should definitely play it imo. Yakuza 5 makes numerous references to stuff from 3 in Kazuma's chapters.

javadoze

Yeah, you're better off skipping to 4.

Recall

I had the most fun with Yakuza 4 and was quite gutted that they cut content from Yakuza 3, even if it was stuff I wasn't even really going to do but I like to have the option to do everything I guess.

Never found a copy of Yakuza 2 in the wild but heard it's the weakest in the series. Any truth to that?

American Dream

Neo Member
I had the most fun with Yakuza 4 and was quite gutted that they cut content from Yakuza 3, even if it was stuff I wasn't even really going to do but I like to have the option to do everything I guess.

Never found a copy of Yakuza 2 in the wild but heard it's the weakest in the series. Any truth to that?

2 is still good too; in some ways it's better than one, but it's a moment to moment kind of thing; it's hard (ill advised) to judge it in these simplified terms. Overall it's a vast improvement on 1, but so is 3 on 2, and 4 on 3. This is the wrong way to look at these games. It's like saying I'll skip Sopranos season 3 because I heard it was slow. If that's your thing, go ahead, but I think you're making a mistake, because it's meant to be experienced in sequence.

Sgblues

Actually Yakuza 2 is considered to be the best or one of the best in the series, storyline wise. I mean sure you
go to Osaka Castle which, splits apart and there's a golden version inside that you enter and fight waves of Yakuza, Ninja and Samurai while ascending multiple floors filled with spiked traps, then fight two man-eating tigers while your adopted Daughter looks on as a hostage
but that's what makes it the best!

Not really, no. If there's one game that's generally considered the best in the series, it's 2 I'd say. If you like the Yakuza games and you haven't played it then you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

Gacha-pin

Yes, play 3 after 2. You can skip 5 instead.
I know I'm an asshole

Actually Yakuza 2 is considered to be the best or one of the best in the series, storyline wise. I mean sure you
go to Osaka Castle which, splits apart and there's a golden version inside that you enter and fight waves of Yakuza, Ninja and Samurai while ascending multiple floors filled with spiked traps, then fight two man-eating tigers while your adopted Daughter looks on as a hostage
but that's what makes it the best!

I really like 2 and but I remember I stopped playing the game when I reached that part. I restarted the game after a month of break.

No, afaik Yakuza 4 doesn't have any cut content.

There was a pretty big backlash on the cut content from 3 - AFAIK 4 didn't cut out anything. I think a lot of people, myself included, really enjoyed learning and playing a lot of the Japan-centric minigames. Like I pretty much learned how to play Hanafuda and Pachinko from the Yakuza games (still can't figure out Mah Jhong though, lol)

It's a darn shame the HD remakes of 1 and 2 never got a Western release, but I'm super happy that 5 is finally getting localized even if it'll only be digital.

Actually all yakuza games have cut content , but that's because the answer X answer mini-game is untranslatable.

That and the removal of licensed songs (mostly just openings and endings), 5 might be the trickiest since it uses a number of them throughout the game.

There was a really awesome song in one of the boss fights if they removed that one that would be lame!

I mean, it really all depends on SEGA or Sony wanting to pay Kyosuke Himuro, otherwise I'd imagine SEGA is getting the team to make replacement music. Before the announcement, I had noted that this would be one of the bigger hurdles for the localization, especially since SEGA went and updated the Digital OST of 5 to no longer include the main theme done by Himuro/GOSPELS OF JUDAS.

I mean, it really all depends on SEGA or Sony wanting to pay Kyosuke Himuro, otherwise I'd imagine SEGA is getting the team to make replacement music. Before the announcement, I had noted that this would be one of the bigger hurdles for the localization, especially since SEGA went and updated the Digital OST of 5 to no longer include the main theme done by Himuro/GOSPELS OF JUDAS.

Updated the OST damn! And the song I was talking about was
Wild Romance

...man, I remember when I picked up my copy of Yakuza 2, I was pretty excited (also the girl attending the gamestop was pretty cute).

Was the Y4 theme intact? Because I loved that song, couldn't picture the finale without it.

Actually, if you're referring to For Faith, that was inhouse so there was no problem when they localized 4 and used it to replace the opening song Butterfly City...I think For Faith works better.

cj_iwakura

...man, I remember when I picked up my copy of Yakuza 2, I was pretty excited (also the girl attending the gamestop was pretty cute).

Actually, if you're referring to For Faith, that was inhouse so there was no problem when they localized 4 and used it to replace the opening song Butterfly City...I think For Faith works better.

Yep, I meant For Faith, and...
Wow. No joke.

Cool song, but way out of tone.

SephLuis

it seems like there are quite a few quests and interesting things cut from Yakuza 3 in the west, is 4 like this too? Its annoying that it even cut continuations of stories from the past 2 games.

The only thing cut from Y4 was a minigame that you would have to answer questions about japanese modern culture, as far as I know. It is the kind of thing that isn't easily translatable and depends a lot on your japanese culture knowledge.

Not counting any spin-offs, I think Y2 is the best yet. It has been years since I played, but it is the one I remember the most. I think it is better than Y5 and I am stil too early on Y0 to see if it loses its crown.

Top Bottom