• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Judgment series not on PC due to disagreement with Takuya Kimura's talent agency

Agree. Seriously, people that thing about this are out of their fucking mind just for the sake of port beg.
It is simply what's being reported by the insider and gaming news sites. Based on : (1) the talent agency's track record; (2) SEGAs pivot towards PC in the last two years; (3) notable omissions like karaoke in the first game I believe it's very plausible. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Shrug. But I do encourage anyone who thinks this is just PC fans port begging to actually read up more on the matter. Johnny's seems like a nightmare to work with. That's the premise of the thread.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Everyone deserves the love of Kiryu.

tenor.gif
Xbox One Yakuza GIF by Xbox

Kimura Takuya is out I’m also out. This guy performance is awesome. Maybe for pc version they could add a random guy and leave Japanese with キムタク

Saber

Gold Member
It is simply what's being reported by the insider and gaming news sites. Based on : (1) the talent agency's track record; (2) SEGAs pivot towards PC in the last two years; (3) notable omissions like karaoke in the first game I believe it's very plausible. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Shrug. But I do encourage anyone who thinks this is just PC fans port begging to actually read up more on the matter. Johnny's seems like a nightmare to work with. That's the premise of the thread.

Theres nothing that proves this to be the truth. All this is a word of supposed insider(which explanation is "because") in conjuction with past info, making to believe this is "news". This in conjuction with pc hater spam post and "maximize profits" only shows this thread is nothing, travesty as a pc port begging. Judging this gaming site news(aka Kotaku) track record, I wouldn't put my hope if I were you but hey opinions.

Theres nothing that proves this to be the truth. All this is a word of supposed insider(which explanation is "because") in conjuction with past info, making to believe this is "news". This in conjuction with pc hater spam post and "maximize profits" only shows this thread is nothing, travesty as a pc port begging. Judging this gaming site news(aka Kotaku) track record, I wouldn't put my hope if I were you but hey opinions.
Ofc non of this is "proof" of anything. That's true enough. But at least we can agree the journalism quality of Kotaku has little to impact the story.
Kotaku said:
The point of contention, as explained on Nikkan Taishu, is that Sega apparently sees the PC as vital from a business point of view. For Johnny’s, which still hasn’t quite fully embraced the internet like others in the music business, releasing a game directly online through a PC platform could be problematic for their business model. Because of this apparent disagreement, Nikkan Taishu reports that Lost Judgment is said to be the last in the series. (If so, I do wonder if the franchise will continue with another big star attached to a more amiable talent agency.)

So it's actually the Japanese publication Nikkan Taishu that's claiming the cancellation of the series, not Kotaku. But yes, this is just a "insider", and we have no way to know how reliable they are. To me personally, the story makes sense. However, that's a lose/lose for everybody. IF the story is true, Console Players lose a third judgement game while PC players don't get ANY Judgement game. So I don't want the story to be proven true.

NanaMiku

I noticed every party character in Yakuza 7 has a funny karaoke song except the Korean guy. Maybe that guy's talent agency says caused a similar fuss over musical rights to their actor.
The Korean guy is voiced by Yuichi Nakamura (JP dub), I don't his too expensive since he appeared everywhere. I think it's just his personality. In a talk show, he said he only voice cool guy only (he's joking, but looking at his porfolio...).
If it's based on talent agency, the Chinese guy (Zhao) should be more expensive since the JP voice actor also work as a singer. The Korean guy's voice actor only work as voice actor

Dream-Knife

Banned
They might be playing the PC publishing game for now with last gen games..... but it's funny these memes of Gaben when Steam is so much smaller and insignificant compared to PlayStation.

Valve total equity = 10 billion

Valve total emplyees = 360 people

LOL....Sony could dismantle, crush and put Steam back together again several times over. The reason they put a few old games on there is because Steam is not a threat.

The only reason you even have a Yakuza series is because it did so well on PlayStation initially. It's been on PlayStation for 15 years, if you didn't know.

Raking in the money is the most hilarious exaggeration.... we all saw the game sales for Horizon, Death Stranding and Days Gone......... pathetic numbers, barely worth it. PC gamers spend big on hardware and then spend pennies on software.
If that's the case you won't complain when BB, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 4, and GOT come to Steam later?
Yeah, 20 million new accounts cause their old ones were banned.

The growth rate for PC gaming is 3 or 4%

Console growth rate is 7%.

As I said, those accounts do not make money just with sign ins. No info on people with multiple accounts due to things like Destiny trials 7 win run help etc.
There's a lot of shady shit that goes on on PC...

The amount of COD bans is obscene on PC too.

So, those figures are meaningless.
Plenty of console people have multiple accounts. I have both an American and Japanese Nintendo and PlayStation account.

Also, active members are people who play games.
As I pointed out the COD ban rates and people using different accounts for flawless runs in Destiny and other things probably contribute a massive amount to that.

Nobody offering flawless runs in Destiny is going to use their own main Steam account.... they will have alts to use the aimbots and stuff on.

That's why hardly anyone is offering flawless runs on console..... it's way too fair.

That stuff is happening in loads of games too, they're just the one's I am familiar with...of course they played games on the different accounts.... doesn't mean much though.
Happens on literally everything.
Good lol

PCs are not a gaming platform.
The creator of both current gen systems (AMD) disagrees.

In fact, your console is essentially a pre-built HP running FreeBSD.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After having spent nearly a decade as a brawler action series, Yakuza recently reinvented itself as a Persona-style turn-based RPG with Like a Dragon, and to say the very least, it was a successful reinvention. But even so, developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has one feet planted firmly in the past to appease long-time series veteran, in the form of Judgment, which adopts a formula that hews much more closely to the Kazuma Kiryu era of the Yakuza games. And Judgment, too, was unsurprisingly great, enjoying enough critical and commercial success to warrant a sequel, which releases later this year.

But if recent reports are to be believed, the spinoff franchise's future might not be entirely assured. A recent published by Japanese outlet Nikkan Taishu has suggested that a dispute between Sega and Johnny and Associates, the talent agency for actor Takuya Kimura, who plays the role of Judgment protagonist Takayuki Yagami, has presented a pretty major hurdle for the series, and that as such, Lost Judgment might end up being, well, the last Judgment.

Thanks mods for the title change

200.gif

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
If that's the case you won't complain when BB, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 4, and GOT come to Steam later?

Plenty of console people have multiple accounts. I have both an American and Japanese Nintendo and PlayStation account.

Also, active members are people who play games.

Happens on literally everything.

The creator of both current gen systems (AMD) disagrees.

In fact, your console is essentially a pre-built HP running FreeBSD.

Is this another stealth port-begging post?

Why don't you just get a PS5 if you want to play those games? You'll save yourself a lot of restarts and updates and dealing with pop-ups and subscriptions.

People go to see films to see the actors and the stories..... they don't dwell on what fps it is or what type of film it's shot on. If you need to game on PC to give yourself legitimacy and not feel 'childish', I'd recommend therapy instead of gaming.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Is this another stealth port-begging post?

Why don't you just get a PS5 if you want to play those games? You'll save yourself a lot of restarts and updates and dealing with pop-ups and subscriptions.

People go to see films to see the actors and the stories..... they don't dwell on what fps it is or what type of film it's shot on. If you need to game on PC to give yourself legitimacy and not feel 'childish', I'd recommend therapy instead of gaming.
I don't have any of those issues. PC is a much superior platform that I won't go back to console ever (except nintendo I guess).

This isn't some console warring. You play games because you enjoy them. Some people want the freedom and abilities a PC can provide. It isn't the 90s anymore.

You also never disputed anything I said.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't have any of those issues. PC is a much superior platform that I won't go back to console ever (except nintendo I guess).

This isn't some console warring. You play games because you enjoy them. Some people want the freedom and abilities a PC can provide. It isn't the 90s anymore.

I was a PC gamer starting in 1999. One of the first people I knew to have a GPU.... they were a pretty new thing back then. Usually a PC came with something called a 'display card' and most GPU's went in the 'AGP' slot.

So I am well aware of what a PC can and cannot do..... I even advised my brother which card to get when he was getting into PC gaming. PC is not superior..... just different, different strengths and weaknesses, huge weakness is that it has no keeper, no-one who has so much of a stake in it that they will re-invest in games and content to make it grow...... that is why you have to look to console where they have a structure that allows them to do that and make games like Bloodborne and Demons Souls..... in facts the whole Souls genre was born on PlayStation, from PlayStation money.

You should also consider things like the law of diminishing returns.....you may invest thousands in gaming hardware but at a certain point the performance increase per dollar is just terrible.
Then consider that Sony can take advantage of economies of scale to get the GPU's, CPU's, memory, storage etc etc all to the customer for 400-500 retail.
If you enjoy mods and all the fluff that surrounds gaming more than actual gaming, then I understand the allure of PC.... even messing around with Unreal or Unity or doing things like hooking up a drawing pad..... it is a versatile platform.
But I just want to game, personally.

What do I have to dispute? Steam makes a fraction of what PlayStation does in a year, I don't really think the numbers on steam are representative of the true usernumber. I'm not going to sit here doing circular arguments....it's a waste of time.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was a PC gamer starting in 1999. One of the first people I knew to have a GPU.... they were a pretty new thing back then. Usually a PC came with something called a 'display card' and most GPU's went in the 'AGP' slot.

So I am well aware of what a PC can and cannot do..... I even advised my brother which card to get when he was getting into PC gaming. PC is not superior..... just different, different strengths and weaknesses, huge weakness is that it has no keeper, no-one who has so much of a stake in it that they will re-invest in games and content to make it grow...... that is why you have to look to console where they have a structure that allows them to do that and make games like Bloodborne and Demons Souls..... in facts the whole Souls genre was born on PlayStation, from PlayStation money.

You should also consider things like the law of diminishing returns.....you may invest thousands in gaming hardware but at a certain point the performance increase per dollar is just terrible.
Then consider that Sony can take advantage of economies of scale to get the GPU's, CPU's, memory, storage etc etc all to the customer for 400-500 retail.
If you enjoy mods and all the fluff that surrounds gaming more than actual gaming, then I understand the allure of PC.... even messing around with Unreal or Unity or doing things like hooking up a drawing pad..... it is a versatile platform.
But I just want to game, personally.

What do I have to dispute? Steam makes a fraction of what PlayStation does in a year, I don't really think the numbers on steam are representative of the true usernumber. I'm not going to sit here doing circular arguments....it's a waste of time.
None of that actually matters to the consumer though. Why would I care about sonys economy of scale? Consoles are cheaper because they want you on them spending money. Sony makes all of their money charging you to use your own internet, microtransactions and dlc.

I can get better performance and freedom on PC. I realize there's a lot of people that don't value that (Apple consumers for example), so that's cool.

Play whatever you want on whatever you want. I choose to game on PC, and it seems all companies besides nintendo have realized that it is an important market.

Bryank75

Banned
None of that actually matters to the consumer though. Why would I care about sonys economy of scale? Consoles are cheaper because they want you on them spending money. Sony makes all of their money charging you to use your own internet, microtransactions and dlc.

I can get better performance and freedom on PC. I realize there's a lot of people that don't value that (Apple consumers for example), so that's cool.

Play whatever you want on whatever you want. I choose to game on PC, and it seems all companies besides nintendo have realized that it is an important market.

It matters because it makes newer tech ubiquitous...... making investing in games using raytracing and newer techniques, motion and facial capture etc more economically feasible,

Games looking better and having great original content etc is more of an economic issue than a technological one.

I agree with the sentiment of letting people play where they want but you shouldn't think of one as definitively superior to the other especially when PC has no set standard.

Example being......

EA decided to put the last gen version of Fifa on PC due to the amount of people with rigs not capable of running the 'next gen' version.

I'm not saying any of this to dunk on PC or you, I'm not trying to diminish the value of PC..... but this 'superior' thing..... it's just tiresome.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It matters because it makes newer tech ubiquitous...... making investing in games using raytracing and newer techniques, motion and facial capture etc more economically feasible,

Games looking better and having great original content etc is more of an economic issue than a technological one.

I agree with the sentiment of letting people play where they want but you shouldn't think of one as definitively superior to the other especially when PC has no set standard.

Example being......

EA decided to put the last gen version of Fifa on PC due to the amount of people with rigs not capable of running the 'next gen' version.

I'm not saying any of this to dunk on PC or you, I'm not trying to diminish the value of PC..... but this 'superior' thing..... it's just tiresome.
All of that tech predates Sony using it though. Ray tracing was pushed by nvidia, and is now gaining some traction (although idk what's going on with the UE5 tech).

EA is lazy and shouldn't be used as an example of anything. Sports games are generally super casual, and that market usually sticks to consoles.

PC is technologically superior. It's even easier to demonstrate this when the consoles are effectively PCs.

FLAC and WAV are superior to 320 MP3s. Some people are just fine with their MP3s. No big deal.

Bryank75

Banned
All of that tech predates Sony using it though. Ray tracing was pushed by nvidia, and is now gaining some traction (although idk what's going on with the UE5 tech).

EA is lazy and shouldn't be used as an example of anything. Sports games are generally super casual, and that market usually sticks to consoles.

PC is technologically superior. It's even easier to demonstrate this when the consoles are effectively PCs.

FLAC and WAV are superior to 320 MP3s. Some people are just fine with their MP3s. No big deal.

Nah, you misunderstood or ignored my point.

Yeah, the tech hits PC first because consoles only upgrade every 7 years or 3-4 if you count Pro models.

I am talking about ubiquity of the technology, the tech has to be widespread to make sense to implement in most games.

That is the economics dictating which technologies are viable.

That's why PC is getting a last gen Fifa game...they want more people to buy it. Lower minimum spec.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nah, you misunderstood or ignored my point.

Yeah, the tech hits PC first because consoles only upgrade every 7 years or 3-4 if you count Pro models.

I am talking about ubiquity of the technology, the tech has to be widespread to make sense to implement in most games.

That is the economics dictating which technologies are viable.

That's why PC is getting a last gen Fifa game...they want more people to buy it. Lower minimum spec.
It didn't stop Crysis from pushing boundaries, or MS Flight Sim 2020.

Simple fact is, new tech comes out all the time. Sony and MS choose from that tech, but that tech is also available on PC, to a more powerful level.

You keep clinging to FIFA. EA has been known to be a trash company for years now. I'd also question how many people on PC play FIFA, or any EA sports game for that matter. But if that's what you want to cling to, yes PS5 has a better FIFA game than Steam. We're devastated.

vkbest

Bryank75

Banned
It didn't stop Crysis from pushing boundaries, or MS Flight Sim 2020.

Simple fact is, new tech comes out all the time. Sony and MS choose from that tech, but that tech is also available on PC, to a more powerful level.

You keep clinging to FIFA. EA has been known to be a trash company for years now. I'd also question how many people on PC play FIFA, or any EA sports game for that matter. But if that's what you want to cling to, yes PS5 has a better FIFA game than Steam. We're devastated.

Crysis is pretty old now and Crytek is broke.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's a shame, I want to try those games, but they'll just probably reboot the series with another main character using another actor, it's not like they're willing to leave money on the table because of "the feels" of an agency employee.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah they screwed up and went after console players.

A lot of companies made the same mistake..... looking back to Westwood Studios and Massive who made Ground Control.

Microsoft brought a load of companies from PC to console with their ambitions there.

Before that point was a magical time in PC gaming.

nGWnHkV.jpg

This guy is 48 fucking years old, yet he's wearing American junior high school girl pants and shoe combo.

Let this IP die or replace the MC actor lol

Shai-Tan

Banned
Some background: Johnny’s is responsible for Japan’s biggest boy bands and has traditionally been internet shy. As Music Times explains, “Johnny & Associates had, in the past, refused to allow photos of its talents from press conferences to be published online and has since kept all of its artists from using social media.” Johnny’s didn’t open a YouTube channel until 2018!

weird

bender

What time is it?

90s was the golden era of PC gaming.

Top Bottom