• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 announcement leaked

Played Yakuza 5 for about an hour, thought it was cool but ended up not having access to it afterwards.

Can I start at 0, then do the 1 Remake, then 2 Remake etc?

Y2 had the best story in the series IMO (closely followed by Y3) so i would love to revisit that experience.

I hope Sega continues those remakes with their PS3 Yakuza titles so we can finally have a chance to play Kenzan and a COMPLETE version of Y3.

Yeah, 2 is definitely still my favorite, the villain was great and story beats were good.

TimmiT

Played Yakuza 5 for about an hour, thought it was cool but ended up not having access to it afterwards.

Yes. 0 is a great starting point, and the 1 Remake adds stuff that connects it to that game as well.

yes but who knows when the 2 Remake will be released in English-speaking territories. I personally expect it to be Fall 2018.

You should definitely still play Y0, and Y: Kiwami which is coming out next week (for 30$)

mejin

fckya.gif

So does subbing/translating really take that long? You'd think that with 2/3 games under their belt the issue to translating would be faster and with items being largely the same it wouldn't take as long as it does.

its like comming from a desert to netherlands

We were dying of thrist before, now we're drowning.
So does subbing/translating really take that long? You'd think that with 2/3 games under their belt the issue to translating would be faster and with items being largely the same it wouldn't take as long as it does.
It's not just a matter of translating the script but also actually implementing these changes to the game. It still takes time.

That being said, perhaps a summer release is not ENTIRELY out of the question? I can't claim to know any details about this though. I'm personally expecting Fall 2018.

Aki-at

Yakuza 0 - End of January
Yakuza Kiwami - End of August
Yakuza 6 - Mid March

So localisation every 7 months, I don't think that's bad at all. That should mean Kiwami 2 is hitting around October. I'm sure they're also trying to space out these games to not cause franchise fatigue.

Man, this is awesome news. 0 was awesome, and was already planning to do Kiwami and 6 next year but may just do Kiwami and then wait for Kiwami 2. It's even better since 2 seems to be regarded as the best one.

Harmen

Potential to be one of the best games ever. Awesome game, still my favourite of the series, and the new engine looks sexy.

Hopefully they remake 3 after that and give us all the shit they cut for the localized version. I think 4 and 5 can simply get HD remasters and it would be fine. But hey, if they want to remake them in 6's engine, by all means: go for it, Sega. I will patiently wait to buy them.

Aki-at

That won't ever happen because of the subject material.

But Black Panther man, I want some Black Panther.

This won't ever happen because SEGA Japan themselves have given up on Tatsuya :p

(Now watch them announce him as the new series protangonist tomorrow)

Foffy

Banned
Is it fair to say that Kiwami 2 will likely play more like Yakuza 6 than Kiwami 1 regarding combat systems?

convo

Everybody get their music playlist and dancing gifs ready for the stream.

Is it fair to say that Kiwami 2 will likely play more like Yakuza 6 than Kiwami 1 regarding combat systems?

Probably, although Y6 was more of a test run for the engine like those spin-off Samurai-era games that never came over. I expect vast improvements over Y6 but i don't expect style-switching unless they really put in the work but we'll know more tomorrow.

All I rememeber is one or more game reviewer going "If you whine about this and don't get the game you're an idiot." but to this day I have no interest of playing Yakuza 3 in it's current form. You could send me the game and your PS3 right along with it and I'd be like "Oh! Thanks!" but put it away in the basement right away.

Yeah I remember that. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I saw no reason not to buy it since I really wanted to play it in English, and I'd waited quite a while for it. On the other hand complaining is what the fans should have done (and did do) and its resulted in 4 not getting cut to pieces (its only missing the opening song and AnswerXAnswer, though that'd have been a translators nightmare to do!)

But I see 3-5 getting remasters on the PS4, and assuming they get released outside of Japan (and why not?) we'd get the complete version of 3 this time which would be excellent. Plus just thinking about a version of 5 not constrained by the hardware - so a much better frame rate (it was the weakest of the bunch frame rate wise), and much better texturing (it was rather bad on the PS3) topped off with a res boost would be glorious.

Anyway, back to fantasizing over Yakuza 2's remake potential:

The map in 6 removed certain places (like Purgatory and the fighting arena). Both play a strong part in the main story for 2 so no way they can cut them this time. Plus a fully explorable Osaka in the dragon engine? Yes please!
Combat is the other "?" for me - as 6's felt great but just lacked the moves and heat moves to make it as great as 0-Kiwami which had huge moves lists. Originally when 2 was released it boasted far superior combat to 1 - it got a ton more heat moves among other things so I'm really hoping this will be the case for Kiwami 2 as well. Also, bring back weapon modding, wasn't a fan in 3-4 but loved it in 5 and up so it needs to happen. At least give me tons of weapons again.

Also, I can't imagine playing 2 with all the benefits of the dragon engine. The lack of loading, seamless nature to explore the game world, many of those boss fights and encounters... I really hope that December date is accurate, as I'm totally importing day 1 if true as I can't wait for a translation even if its only a few months away (seeing as things have gotten way better in that department lately).

Conezays

Fantastic news and another day one Yakuza Purchase for me, haha. Getting Kiwami next week while playing through 5 at the moment. Very happy this series is getting more recognition in the west.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
My man!
Club Sunshine was so amazing.
An amazing storyline as well as an amazing minigame.
Kiryu's real estate adventures were way worse in that regard because you do literally nothing but spend money to get money so you can spend it again to get more money, etc.
And you have to wait 5 minutes in between spending and earning money.
That was stupid.

Club Sunshine is where it's at! Best minigame in the game for sure.

Preach!

Top Bottom