• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 announcement leaked

Fukuzatsu

tumblr_orobgxHKUY1trz2o9o1_500.png

Might've been a nice touch if that yakuza guy who shows up in
Iwai's co-op
was from the Tojo Clan or something.

Well it's gonna be a while before I play 6 so would be cool so see how it's implemented, just wondering how fans will react if the combats changed completely from the standard when 2 is loved so much

Although from the minor bits I've seen of the physics in 6, and I love physics in fighters and shooters like FEAR etc, it would be great to see. Maybe somehow implement the physics into the 0 combat ?

2 Kiwami, 2 Furious

Forgot about localisation, but with the good sales of 0 and presumably/hopefully kiwami it should be quicker localisation then before ?

Won't come out before 6 in the West though.

Docpan

This is REALLY good news. The climactic battle of Y2 is what really cemented Kiryu as 'legend'

Im there day 1 and will now support Kiwami on launch to encourage a western release.

convo

Imagine the time required to get all platinums if they really publish a collection of 3, 4 and 5!

I think only Yakuza 3 could need a remake in the new engine.4 and 5 are already content rich so just having a port of those is enough for me.

Fjordson

Y3-5 collection for PS4? Just higher res, 60 fps stuff, restore the content missing from 3 and such. No need to do a full remake.

I'm hoping it'll happen sooner rather than later, I don't think I can really play Y6 before I've gone through the whole series and I reeeaaally don't want to dig my PS3 out.
That would be so dope, goddamn. I could use a refresher on 3 and 4.

I know gaf loves Yakuza to death but why ain't people raising their pitchforks over the "shameless milking" of the franchise at this point? the number of yakuza games being released recently is quite high and any other franchise would have been bashed to death if they had similar numbers. is it all about quality of the games? then would milking be excused if all games were good or do franchises still need a breather and why isn't Yakuza getting one? seems like an interesting discussion all things regarded.

because fuck that it's fucking Yakuza

I know gaf loves Yakuza to death but why ain't people raising their pitchforks over the "shameless milking" of the franchise at this point? the number of yakuza games being released recently is quite high and any other franchise would have been bashed to death if they had similar numbers. is it all about quality of the games? then would milking be excused if all games were good or do franchises still need a breather and why isn't Yakuza getting one? seems like an interesting discussion all things regarded.
They're great games that age poorly and this is a remake. Also Kiwami 1 is $30 so it's not like they're stealing money for bigh profits or something.

Your concern for what other people should be principled on is unnecessary.

Because the fans had to endure years without a single game and now we're getting a bunch of them in one fell swoop, so it's all good. There's just a lot of catching up to do for us filthy gaikokujin.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are the Japanese versions being announced. Western releases take them a while.

Yakuza 0 originally came out in March 2015. It just arrived here this year, so it feels fresh, but in Japan these releases are much further spread apart.

Fjordson

I think Yakuza avoids that talk because they're long single-player games packed with content and are centered around complex stories and characters that people have been following for years. Basically what LiK mentioned.

Functionally you're not totally wrong, but it feels different than say a shooter series where a new game is really just about new maps or weapons. People have an emotional connection to the characters in Yakuza and their stories and want to see them continue.

edit: Don't want to dismiss other series with fast releases, like Call of Duty or something. Those are well-made games created by talented people and obviously tons of people like them (that's a much bigger audience than the Yakuza one). But I do think that story and characters that people connect with goes a long way as far s generating goodwill.

Love to get into this series, but seems pricey. Just $80 for 0 and the first HD remake.
Both of those games would be a bargain even at $60 tbh. Packed with great content.

This is like the best day of the year for me lol, not only did I wake up to Kiwami 2 leak, I had a pretty productive day overall and now, at the end of the day, I got this:

FUCK YES.
That steelbook....

You lucky son of a bitch, GO PROTECT HARUKA!

Opa-Pa

Love it when people who know nothing about the series come to question why "we're getting so many" without even doing a quick google search beforehand lol.

Trying to track down the 3rd game on PS3 for cheap, its $30 and up. What are the odds they remaster 3, 4 and 5?

I don't have any of the games yet.

Seems possible. We might hear something about them tomorrow (Yakuza team event happening in Japan) but I think they may leave this announcement until next year.
That's if the remasters even happen, I'd just love to have the whole (main) series on the PS4.

RPGCrazied

I remember playing a demo for 3 or 4 on PS3, and liked it. But there was no HD of the first game, and getting them all was expensive.

Really am close to buying 0 and the first HD remake and just wait for the rest now that the 2nd game is getting a remake.

I really hope they remaster 3, 4 and 5 on PS4. Doesn't have to be a remake, just 1080p them.

alt27

Trying to track down the 3rd game on PS3 for cheap, its $30 and up. What are the odds they remaster 3, 4 and 5?

Why don't you just play zero first to see if you like it? Rather than buy them all first

And will find out the studios plans tommorow

RSchmitz

I remember playing a demo for 3 or 4 on PS3, and liked it. But there was no HD of the first game, and getting them all was expensive.

Really am close to buying 0 and the first HD remake and just wait for the rest now that the 2nd game is getting a remake.

I really hope they remaster 3, 4 and 5 on PS4. Doesn't have to be a remake, just 1080p them.

Just buy 0 play it and then think about the rest. You don't have to buy everything before even figuring if you like the game or not.

any chance we ever get an english release of kenzan? english yakuza releases were in doubt when that game came out but i always thought it would make a good starting point for people new to the series since it is pretty standalone. i suppose zero served that role well.
now it seems like english language releases of yakuza games are somewhat more likely, but that one still languishes.

RPGCrazied

Why don't you just play zero first to see if you like it? Rather than buy them all first

And will find out the studios plans tommorow

Just buy 0 play it and then think about the rest. You don't have to buy everything before even figuring if you like the game or not.

I know I'll like it, I liked the demo of one of them. Seems like something I'd like. Plus the steelbook that comes with the first remake looks nice.

any chance we ever get an english release of kenzan? english yakuza releases were in doubt when that game came out but i always thought it would make a good starting point for people new to the series since it is pretty standalone. i suppose zero served that role well.
now it seems like english language releases of yakuza games are somewhat more likely, but that one still languishes.

The translation guides for Kenzan and Ishin are excellent - just import them.

shinkai

Western fans were deprived of Yakuza games for a good while. We haven't gotten any of the samurai based games (Isshin and Kenzan) and PSP spinoff games. We had to wait 3 years for Yakuza 5 which was at the time most likely never going to come out stateside cause of low sales. Until recently Yakuza games were destined to stay Japan only, but thanks to the efforts of both Sega and Sony we are getting the games in a decent amount of time.

Also the games themselves improve with each title and expand the story. You don't see many games now and days that have you stick with the same protagonist over 8 games while also introducing new characters that are just as interesting as Kiryu. It could be seen as shameless milking to some but compared to the yearly COD and Battlefield games we get, the Yakuza series have actual interesting and well written storylines which to some are important parts of a video game.

Fjordson

I would wait a bit on trying to track those down. Not at all out of the realm of possibility that we get remakes for them or at least a collection for PS4.

I would just start with 0 and Kiwami for now.

RPGCrazied

I would wait a bit on trying to track those down. Not at all out of the realm of possibility that we get remakes for them or at least a collection for PS4.

I would just start with 0 and Kiwami for now.

Think that is what I'm going to do. Pretty good chance they want the whole series on PS4, so remasters of 3, 4 and 5 seems likely.

EDIT:

And bought. Can't wait to jump into this series.

They just need to port 3 4 and 5 to PS4. No need for that new engine. Just as they are at 1080p 60fps. I bought 5, but never finished it.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Judging by how fast these are coming out, how long they take to complete, and how long it took me to find time for Yakuza 0, I'm going to be down a half-dozen games soon...

RPGCrazied

Depends on how deep you get into the side content.

Unfortunately (for you), most of the side content is pretty fun so you're gonna be stuck deep most likely.

I know its not technically an open world game, but open world games consume me. I try and do everything.

I know its not technically an open world game, but open world games consume me. I try and do everything.

You're fucked lol.

Deduct 90 hours from the rest of your life cause they're going to Yakuza 0. Good thing is that the game rarely if ever gets repetitive. Only activity which I found got dull was the Real Estate questline during the end, and it didn't last too long.

Just a little tip, don't waste your time with the Cat fighting. It's complete RNG bullshit.

RPGCrazied

You're fucked lol.

Deduct 90 hours from the rest of your life cause they're going to Yakuza 0. Good thing is that the game rarely if ever gets repetitive. Only activity which I found got dull was the Real Estate questline during the end, and it didn't last too long.

Just a little tip, don't waste your time with the Cat fighting. It's complete RNG bullshit.

Yay, least I know I'm getting my moneys worth. Like now I'm playing Watch Dogs(I'm late), been playing nearly a week and still not done with act 1.

Yay, least I know I'm getting my moneys worth. Like now I'm playing Watch Dogs(I'm late), been playing nearly a week and still not done with act 1.
Well, here's some tips for you. Bookmark this post and consult it before starting the game. Also remember to swing by the Yakuza 0 OT at anytime, we'll be glad to help out!

• Remember that there is no autosave. You have to save at a phone in your home base, or on the streets.
  • Just play at your own pace. The game is fairly slow but starts to open up by chapter 2 so you can just follow the main story, or do substories at your own pace it's up to you.
  • Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.
  • The game allows you to finish every single side activity before the ending of the game, as well as AFTER finishing the story so don't worry about that.
And finally:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Top Bottom