• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 announcement leaked

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Remember being ridiculed for pleading with Sega about a Yakuza 3 localization?

Remember? :_)

I can still remember people doubting it would happen and I'd never played a Yakuza game before 3. I still bought it on launch week to support Sega and look where we are 7yrs later and 7 games been or being localised. Well done to the fans!

Runner67

And 6 doesn't spoil 2 then? Or is it better to wait?

Honestly, if they don't announce HD rereleases of 3-4-5, you should pick up a physical copy of 3, then buy 4 and 5 on PSN if you have a PS3. 3 has a pretty well done recap of the first 2 games, and while you still miss a lot of the good stuff form those games with that recap, Kiwami is coming out on Tuesday and this game should be out next year.

The reason why I'm saying you should go with 3-4-5 is that the combat gets better with almost every iteration. After 5, play 0, then Kiwami, they will serve as prequels to the 3 you played, and the combat is even better. Kiwami 2 will fill in the final gaps eventually and runs on 6's engine. You will probably play 6 before, but it will conclude Kiryu's story.

I can still remember people doubting it would happen and I'd never played a Yakuza game before 3. I still bought it on launch week to support Sega and look where we are 7yrs later and 7 games been or being localised. Well done to the fans!

I've made a post around the time Yakuza 4 came out (I think) where I stated how it doesn't make sense how this series isn't more popular on Gaf given the demographics this board attracts, many of whom have shared their love and admiration for various series that share one or more of the elements this series is known for.

Now that Yakuza has finally carved out a loud - if minor - fan base on here, it feels vindicating.

Fooking hell. Well at least I got some good news out of this horrible week.

Nagoshi says despite the Yakuza Kiwami 2 leak, there will still be surprises at tomorrow's presentation according to Gematsu translations of his comment.

This event might be something special, I should keep my hype in che- ah whatever it, HYPE! YAKUZA 7! BINARY DOMAIN 2! SUPER MONKEY BALL 3! F-ZERO GX 2 SWITCH U! etc etc

Shenmue x Yakuza crossover.
Planet Harriers released on PSN, eShop and Xbox Live.
Yakuza 7
New IP

Any of those are wins to me. :p

IrishNinja

Yakuza 7 is going to be an Akiyama game. Bet.

tenor.gif

ALL MY MONIES

Doubt it. They mentioned previously that the game will feature a "young punk". I am pretty sure this dude will continue the legacy of Kiryu in one way or another.

I feel like more people would agree that Akiyama is the best character in the series if Zero wasn't seemingly the jumping on point for many.

Play Y4 and see the light.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like more people would agree that Akiyama is the best character in the series if Zero wasn't seemingly the jumping on point for many.

Kazuma will always be the best character in the series to me. He's one of the primary reasons I love the series so much. Love the big stoic bastard.

Desmond

Akiyama is great in 6 too. I'd love to see him carry a game by himself. I'd say the same about saejima but he's not as charming. Dat Kansaiben tho

Aki-at

I've been with the series from day 1 and Kiryu has always been my favourite character! :p

He is too straight and ends up in so many stupid situations that you can't love with how he reacts.

I just want Seijima to get more time to shine outside of prison. I love his combat style and his attitude, he just got the raw end of the deal in 5 getting stuck in prison for 2 chapters :(
Akiyama rocks as well though, definitely want to see him get more screen time as well since he had to share a chapter with Haruka so his side of the story wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been either.

Shinada was excellent in 5, on the replay his part was surprisingly the second best part for me (first being Kiryu's the action in his chapter was super solid). I just can't see how they really could do much else with Shinada, his story felt kinda complete in 5, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Mett

Loving all of this Yakuza love we've been getting since a couple of years ago we were looking at never seeing another one localized!

Loving all of this Yakuza love we've been getting since a couple of years ago we were looking at never seeing another one localized!

Yeah, the turn around on the latest games is really impressive. Its gone from expecting them not to localise any more games to being sure of getting a localisation of Kiwami 2 sooner rather than later. Hope the series continues to do good enough outside of Asia so the good times continue!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Do we have any idea of how many copies Yakuza 0 sold ? I don't expect it to be super high or anything but just wondering in comparison to the other Yakuza games released in the west.

Which game(s) has a direct impact on 6? I have a friend who wants to play them all but I dont want him to get fatigued trying to cram them all in before 6. He got 0 and loved it

Opa-Pa

Which game(s) has a direct impact on 6? I have a friend who wants to play them all but I dont want him to get fatigued trying to cram them all in before 6. He got 0 and loved it

All of them more or less, but mostly 1, 3 and especially 5. 6 is like the Metal Gear Solid 4 of Yakuza

Opa-Pa

Personally would want a Kaoru return. No excuse for her not to say hello to the dragon once more.

The way they got rid of her is pretty much my biggest disappointment with the series. I seriously couldn't believe they did that when I started 3.

Hell, I'd pay lots of money for a game starring her.

ZeroX03

Banned
I love Akiyama but I don't know if he's a carry a mainline game kind of guy. He's not even yakuza, isn't the fighter that Kiryu or Saejima are and doesn't seem to have much of a dramatic edge other than his money.

He's a lot more fun in the lighthearted moments or the side stories. He's better as a supporting character or spinoff material.

Re: Tanimura, Shinada and Kaoru. Yeah it's really annoying how the series just drops major characters like that. I like how Y4 actually let some returning characters in to have a presence.

I'd be happy to see more multi-character games as the series continues. I'd take Akiyama leading a cast of newcomers, with cameos from Saejima, Majima and friends.

Morue

Just preordered the kiwami steelbook...

As for 7, I wouldn't be against a whole game with Akiyama. People say he's not main character material but I think that's the occasion to develop him and give him more depth and background...

Soar

Just preordered the kiwami steelbook...

As for 7, I wouldn't be against a whole game with Akiyama. People say he's not main character material but I think that's the occasion to develop him and give him more depth and background...

Yeah it would be a fantastic arc for him to overcome his weaknesses, fail and accept it in the end.

Top Bottom