• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 |OT| It still means "Extreme" !

Gun Animal

p0p3lZ2.png

kMQfhsS.png
Yakuza Kiwami 2 or Ryū ga Gotoku: Kiwami 2
Release Date: 8/28/2018 WW (12/7/2017 JPN)
Genre: Kazuma Kiryu Simulator / Action/Beat-em-up RPG
Platform: Playstation 4
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: CS1 Team
Official Website: LINK
Price: $49.99 USD / C$59.99 CAN / £39.99 UK / € 39.99 EUR
Rating: M
Thanks to Himuro and IrishNinja for formatting guidelines

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a total remake of Yakuza 2 (2008) using Yakuza 6's Dragon Engine. This means intense contemporary visuals, seamless fighting and interior transitions and a more modern combat system, while leaving the original story intact. In addition to new sub-stories and minigames, fan-favorite Goro-Majima is now playable in his own scenario.

BOX ART

STORY
A year after leaving his former life in the Tojo Clan behind, ex-yakuza Kazuma Kiryu is called back into action when the clan's Fifth Chairman, Yukio Terada, is murdered by assassins from a rival organization, the Omi Alliance. Returning to Kamurocho, Kiryu must find a new chairman for the Tojo Clan and prevent an all-out war between the Tojo and the Omi, bringing him into conflict with Ryuji Goda, the legendary "Dragon Of Kansai" of the Omi Alliance.

A new scenario exclusive to Kiwami 2, "The Truth of Goro Majima", explains how Majima came to leave the Tojo Clan (following the death of his patron, Futoshi Shimano, a year earlier) and form a legitimate enterprise, "Majima Construction", between Yakuza and Yakuza 2. The game also features the return of Makoto Makimura, a major character of Majima's story in Yakuza 0 (from Wikipedia)

Reviews
86 on Metacritic. 8.0 from IGN and Gamespot, and 9.0 from Game Informer.

Media
Announcement Trailer
E3 2018 Trailer
Story Trailer
Forbidden Romance Trailer

Screenshots

FAQ
Q: If I've never played Yakuza before, is this a good place to start?
A: Probably not! Almost everyone would suggest starting with Yakuza Zero, which you can pickup at most retailers for $20~ USD.

Q: Where does this take place in the series timeline?
A: The Yakuza timeline looks like this:
1. Yakuza Zero (PS3/PS4)
2. Yakuza (PS2)/Yakuza Kiwami (PS3/PS4)
3. Yakuza 2 (PS2)/Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
4. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
5. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
6. Yakuza 5 (PS3)
7. Yakuza 6: the Song of Life (PS4)
You'll note that 3, 4, and 5 are only available on the PS3, and 5 in particular is only available in digital format. But there's good news! Yakuza 3 is receiving a PS4 port in Japan this month, with Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5 getting the same treatment in Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 respectively---with localization all but assured.

Q: How hard/long is this game?
A: Yakuza 6 was noted as being easier and more streamlined than previous games, and Kiwami 2 appears to be the same. As for length, the main story should run about 20 hours with another 25 hours or so of optional content.

Q: Is there a demo?
A: HELL YEAH. Download it on the PSN store now!

Q: How does Kiwami 2 compare to the PS2 original?
A:
HIGH FIDELITY

Links!
Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!
Series Starter Guide - Welcome to Kamurocho

nB4rZkk.jpg

Last edited:

Gun Animal

What do you think of the new engine?
It looks great for sure, Yakuza 6 was the first game in the series that actually felt like an 8th gen title. But it's a shame that seemingly so much of the asset library that had been built up between Yakuza 3 and Yakuza Kiwami (in terms of textures, models, animations, mechanics, etc) had to get scrapped along the way. They're not using the Dragon engine for the Fist of the North Star game currently in development, either, but rather an earlier Yakuza engine, which is a little concerning.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Picking this up today but I still have to finish Yakuza 0 and start Kiwami 1, so I've got a lot of Yakuza in the coming weeks. No idea how I'm going to have time for DQXI, Forsaken, and Spiderman but whatevs xD

camelCase

It looks great for sure, Yakuza 6 was the first game in the series that actually felt like an 8th gen title. But it's a shame that seemingly so much of the asset library that had been built up between Yakuza 3 and Yakuza Kiwami (in terms of textures, models, animations, mechanics, etc) had to get scrapped along the way. They're not using the Dragon engine for the Fist of the North Star game currently in development, either, but rather an earlier Yakuza engine, which is a little concerning.
It's a weird new experience, I'm definitely having growing pains.

I think they used an earlier version in North Star because to be frank, the earlier engine had a lot of its stuff down pat. Namely combat, which in 6 just felt like a mashfest. The combat feels so lax and boring.

Gun Animal

It's a weird new experience, I'm definitely having growing pains.

I think they used an earlier version in North Star because to be frank, the earlier engine had a lot of its stuff down pat. Namely combat, which in 6 just felt like a mashfest. The combat feels so lax and boring.
IIRC Yakuza 3 felt the same way, but then they built on top of that system in 4, 5, 0 and Kiwami. I'm hoping that Yakuza 7---or whatever they end up calling it---will either have several playable characters like 4 and 5, or several fighting styles per character like 0 and Kiwami. I think what will ultimately make or break Kiwami 2 is how Majima Goro's playable sections are handled, since that seems like the biggest infusion of variety into the core gameplay.

camelCase

IIRC Yakuza 3 felt the same way, but then they built on top of that system in 4, 5, 0 and Kiwami. I'm hoping that Yakuza 7---or whatever they end up calling it---will either have several playable characters like 4 and 5, or several fighting styles per character like 0 and Kiwami. I think what will ultimately make or break Kiwami 2 is how Majima Goro's playable sections are handled, since that seems like the biggest infusion of variety into the core gameplay.
Yes, I agree ;) Majima is the new Kiryu it seems.
Have you played the original series recently btw? I feel like the combat system (pre 6) has changed so little.

Last edited:

gela94

I finished Yakuza 6 yesterday hope my copy arrived today!!! Can't wait to smash a tiger in the face.

Gun Animal

Seeing as this is a more recent PS4 game, does it have any Pro features? Like HDR?
For Yakuza 6 (the game that this game was largely built from) the PRO version featured 1080p and vsync compared to 900p with no vsync on OG PS4. Presumably Kiwami 2 is the same but I didn't want to include that in the OT itself until I could get some kind of confirmation.

Yes, I agree ;) Majima is the new Kiryu it seems.
Have you played the original series recently btw? I feel like the combat system (pre 6) has changed so little.

Ha! I hope not, I'd actually be a bit disappointed if Majima was one of the playable characters in Yakuza 7. An all-new cast would be preferable. As for my experience with the series I played 3 back when it came out, and only recently got back into it with Yakuza Zero and Kiwami 1. I'm actually waiting on the PS4 ports of 3, 4, and 5 to play Yakuza 6 as I'm wanting to play them all in chronological order. I definitely prefer the multiple styles of Zero and Kiwami as they got closest to achieving something like the stylish action of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God Hand, etc---that is to say, the ability on the player's part to blend creativity with technical skill to achieve stylish and varied combos.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Thanks for the effort put into the OT. I'm currently making my way through Yakuza Kiwami right now. I look forward to playing Kiwami 2 eventually. It's getting very good reviews.

RPGCrazied

Just finished Kiwami for the 2nd time the other day. So ready for this. Haven't finished 6. Probably will replay 3, 4 and 5 first.

DryvBy

My copy is coming in today. I still need to finish the first one but at least I have another to knock out right after.

DarkBatman

My steelbook just arrived and it's so beautiful. Don't even want to remove the plastic covering and risk any kind of dirt and/or scratches on it.

nowhat

Just got my copy, about two hours in. So I'm not able to give my real opinion about it, but so far three things have stood out:
  1. No day-one patch? (got the steelbook from a local retailer as it was cheaper than a digital copy) I know this is not something that should be applauded, and sure enough the game has been out in Asia for quite a while now; still, such a rarity these days.
  2. Temporal anti-aliasing is a thing and I wish Japanese developers would get with the program. I'd gladly sacrifice some visual fidelity for at least some AA.
  3. It's great that there's a recap of Kiwami/1 - it wasn't that long ago that I played it, still watched through it, and for newcomers who skipped that game it may be essential. But the way it was presented was amusing to say the least. "Remember last year?" "Remember more?" "Remember more?" A non-issue, it just made me laugh.
But it's more Yakuza. I'm so ready for it, so back to the couch I go.

Geki-D

Banned
Got my copy sitting on the table. I'm a bit miffed that the hostess crap from Zero is back, that shit was tedious and boring.
Also, this is a thing:

RPGCrazied

Played awhile. This game runs so much better than 6 on base PS4. No screen tearing and feels smoother. Sure its still jaggy. Probably 900p with no AA, but I'm impressed.

I wish they could take these improvements to the engine and apply it to 6.

gela94

Still waiting for my copy T__T But I'm soooooo happy that this series caught finally fire in the west. I would be very interested in seeing sales from Sega.

RPGCrazied

Darn, the side stories aren't voiced this time around it looks like. Already on Chapter 4 and am loving it. Seems like this may be my favorite antagonist in any of the games.

WaterAstro

Only at chapter 2 and almost completed every completion list item I can possibly do at this point lol.
Got my copy sitting on the table. I'm a bit miffed that the hostess crap from Zero is back, that shit was tedious and boring.
Also, this is a thing:

lol dat playstation marketing

RPGCrazied

Chapter 7, 13 hours in. This game is probably my favorite Yakuza game. Just its missing some mini games, but overall it has the best story and villain.

sublimit

Banned
Man i'm so behind Yakuza games! I still haven't played Kiwami 1 and Yakuza 6... but i will definitely get this at some point. I played the original Y2 some 10 years ago (it was my first Yakuza game) and i still consider it to have the best story in the series (at least from the ones i've played so far).

RPGCrazied

Trying to finish this before Dragon Quest. Holy hell this game has a lot of content. Hope I make it. Chapter 12 now.

WaterAstro

Trying to finish this before Dragon Quest. Holy hell this game has a lot of content. Hope I make it. Chapter 12 now.
I think if you just do the story, you'll get it done, but if you do the cabaret club and Majima construction, it will take quite a bit.

Shouta

The graphics are a huge jump from Kiwami 1, holy shit. Was Kiwami 2 created using stuff from Yakuza 6?

RPGCrazied

I think if you just do the story, you'll get it done, but if you do the cabaret club and Majima construction, it will take quite a bit.

Probably done 30 sub stories. I probably won't go for all of those right now. But I'm concentrating just on story until done. I'm 22 hours in.

The graphics are a huge jump from Kiwami 1, holy shit. Was Kiwami 2 created using stuff from Yakuza 6?

Yep. Its using the updated Dragon Engine from 6. It runs smoother than 6. Its safe to say Kiwami 2 is the best looking/running game in the series.

RPGCrazied

Well.... those were short. Chapter 16 now. At the final point of no return. I guess I can do some more sub stories before finishing it.

And beat. Fantastic game. Its the best looking, sounding, Yakuza game. Well done.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Played awhile. This game runs so much better than 6 on base PS4. No screen tearing and feels smoother. Sure its still jaggy. Probably 900p with no AA, but I'm impressed.

I wish they could take these improvements to the engine and apply it to 6.

Yep Yakuza 6 sometimes looked really rough on my base PS4 (like the car models). With Kiwami 2 I don't have that problem. Sadly they probably have a limited budget so I wouldn't expect a full Y6 update.

Terra_Ex

I finally got around to finishing up Y0 now it got ported to PC and man, it's a serious contender to knock the original Y2 off the top spot for my favourite Yakuza game. But I'll wait till I play & finish this remake before making that call (bought it already on PS4 to support the series but will likely wait for a PC port to play it). Those final Majima scenes in Y0 though man, damn... Such a fantastic series of games.

And just in case anyone missed the recent Sega Yakuza survey, remember to fill it out so we might actually get the spinoffs and remasters localised (and ported to PC).

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Alright. Almost finished completing the first playthrough. Just need to finish the millions of bouncer missions (already beat the last one on normal), then I would have to do whatever for Legend difficulty.

Platinum here I come.

Shouta

I finished the game last night and man, it was amazing especially the new Majima thing they added.

Game design difference #1. When you get to Chapter 4 in the original Yakuza 2, there are certain aspects of the chapter where you'll have to 'think outside the box' especially when you have to talk to the Mahjong Informant. Remember, always talk to Kurokawa (the purple suited thug that kisses up to Kiryu) so you won't have to pay a dime to the Informant when he asks for 300 grand:

In Kiwami 2 however, they've made it so that Kiryu realizes Esaki is hardballing him and decides to go to Kurokawa. In the original, you had the option to pay the guy 300 grand.

Tokyo had a pretty insane Kiwami pre-launch event in December 2017 at the new Sega SHinjuku arcade. Too bad I missed the opportunity to meet & greet Nagoshi-san and Yokoyama-san. :(
Regardless, I documented the pre-launch event to share with the world!

As far as the surveys, I'd love to see a remastered Kenzan or Kiwami Kenzan. Did you know there's a 2001 Space Odyssey easter egg in Kenzan?

Last edited:

camelCase

Game design difference #1. When you get to Chapter 4 in the original Yakuza 2, there are certain aspects of the chapter where you'll have to 'think outside the box' especially when you have to talk to the Mahjong Informant. Remember, always talk to Kurokawa (the purple suited thug that kisses up to Kiryu) so you won't have to pay a dime to the Informant when he asks for 300 grand:

I would have preferred the option to pay for the info. It says to me that they've bleached a certain element of the game, like if a modern castlevania wouldn't let you kneel at the cliffside or any other cryptic element which are /were common in japanese (or all?) game design. It kills some of the adventure imo.

I googled my favorite hostess of the game (Aika) and was very happily surprised to learn that she's real! And has quite a distinguished career, lol.

Game design difference #2
By far the most controversial at the time of its Japanese release, was the absence of Sinseicho - a third city featured in the original Yakuza 2. Sinseicho was based on Shinsekai and the Tsutenkaku tower.

Humdinger

Just finished Yakuza Kiwami. Really good. 9/10 for me. The story was great melodrama. I got confused with all the different clans, the shifting alliances, the intrigue, etc., but that's fine. I don't care, and I'm not sure it would make a lot of sense if I looked too closely. It was good fun and emotionally affecting at times.

It was good to see the weird, silly side-missions, even in the first game. I guess that's been a trademark of the series since the beginning. And Kiryu's personality hasn't changed since Yakuza 0. Nishki sure did. He turn a dark turn. You'd think he'd be a little grateful, but no...

Combat was good. Heat moves are always fun. I kept combat pretty simple, stuck mostly to the Brawler style. I played with combat on Easy mode, which made the game more enjoyable for me.

I'll probably fool around in the city for a little while longer. I've got some side missions to complete, still.

Anyhow, another great Yakuza game. I will take a pause for a while, then play Yakuza Kiwami 2 next year sometime.

xrnzaaas

What's up with the
chase scene's Man in Black
sub-boss? Was he that hard to beat in the original game as well? I'm playing on normal and I've never died in the game prior to that battle.

A.Romero

I just got the platinum for Spider-Man yesterday so I started playing this today. I've put around 3 hours on the game and just finished the third chapter.

I played Zero a couple of weeks ago so the graphical difference feels abysmal (6 is in my Backlog), I was expecting to be jarred by the graphics coming from Spidey but it is surprisingly very competent in this regard.

Sound is also vastly improved since kiwami / zero, I feel they are using more of the surround speakers.

I played this game when it originally released and never touched it again so I'm not fresh about how much it changed but at least combat wise it feels different from other recent releases. There is one single style available, seems to be the dragon style. Fights feel harder than zero but more fun. Charging attack mechanic does impact gameplay quite a bit.

There are many quality of life improvements such as being able to drop a pin on the map (finally!) but the exp system seems to be unnecessarily convulted.

All in all seems to be the best game in the series.

Top Bottom