• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami releases 8/29. Let's celebrate with an Avatar thread! (over 100 inside)

Wait, why are you playing one instead of playing Kiwami ?

Don't want to burn out

If I recall they said they wanted to play them in release order.

Also Kiwami changes some plot events to structure it better as the sequel to 0.
Someone might want to avoid that if they're doing the full series playthrough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They should start with zero then. Honestly, they'll burn themselves out. I am a fan of release-order playthroughs whenever someone asks for chronology in other franchises (RE and MGS for example).

But 0 and Kiwami basically make the original yakuza redundant.

Well I feel bad for missing two since from what I've read 0,2 and 4 and the best ones

Yup Yakuza 2 is the best Yakuza after 0, some would say it's equally good since Y0 has the advantage of more finely tuned gameplay systems, and having a 60 fps version available.

The story of Yakuza 2 is fantastic as it has THE BEST antagonist the series has ever seen, and we've seen legitimately great antagonists in the form of
Yoshitaka Mine
in Yakuza 3, and
Nishiki
in Yakuza 1/Kiwami.

It is a game where if you CAN play it, then definitely go for it but AFTER playing Yakuza Kiwami. And if you play Y2, then definitely play Y3.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Taking Reina
QOmN3WZ.jpg

In the middle of a playthrough of the franchise. Done 0, 1+2(Wii U HD), 3 and now up to 4. Can't wait for kiwami.

I'm recently playing the whole series after 0 and have completely fallen in love. I am about halfway through 3 now and enjoying it immensely. Its really cool to play them all back to back and see all of the changes and improvements to the world and the gameplay as well.

I'd love if someone could add the yakuza supporter tag to my avatar as well :)
GF3cobL.png

Only big plot event I can recall them being changed was
Majima's injury after his first battle - it gets changed up so that he can continue bothering you via the Majima Anywhere system. Its a little change, I didn't actually even click that the plot was changed until someone else pointed it out to me.

Other plot points like a little flashback at the beginning regarding Yumi and the Nishiki scenes add to the story, but don't really change the plot of the original all that much (well, beyond giving Nishiki a more fleshed out backstory and a rather brutal plot twist that explains his motivations in the main plot

Kiwami does remove some side stories though, nothing all that major to play the original over the remake in my opinion, but its there. Then again you get several new side stories based around the mini games - there is a number of really good ones tied to the pocket racing mini game again as well as several for the cat fighting arcade game (which are mercifully really easy to complete).

The other big change is in the Haruka's Trust missions in premium adventure mode. Kiwami changes up the requirements for existing challenges noticeably to make things easier while also adding new challenges for the mini games that get added in Kiwami. While a couple of the challenges are pretty tough, its still easier than hitting 20 home runs in the original game!

Best challenge ever!

Yeah. Its right up there with clearing the batting cage without any cross-hair (Yakuza 3), AnswerXAnswer (Japanese RGG3 and 4) and doing the fighting arena 4 times (Yakuza 5). Don't even get me started on Ishin's mundane completion list! And yet I can't get enough of 100%ing Yakuza games, I must surely be mad!

*edit* How the heck did I ever forget the cat fighting mini game in Yakuza 0? That's the worst damn one of them all!

Yeah. Its right up there with clearing the batting cage without any cross-hair (Yakuza 3), AnswerXAnswer (Japanese RGG3 and 4) and doing the fighting arena 4 times (Yakuza 5). Don't even get me started on Ishin's mundane completion list! And yet I can't get enough of 100%ing Yakuza games, I must surely be mad!

*edit* How the heck did I ever forget the cat fighting mini game in Yakuza 0? That's the worst damn one of them all!
You know how much I love batting cages in Yakuza series, so I really meant that comment lol

No. Really hoping for a 2 Kiwami at TGS because the PS3 ones can hold up just fine right now, but 2 needs the love.
I'd love Kiwami 2 then an HD collection released on PS4 of 3-5 even if sold seperately. As someone who only just got into the series at 0 it would give me a chance to play them all.

The God

Will kiwami have something like real estate royale or the cabaret club? I'm playing Yakuza 0 right now and those 2 things are addicting

wamberz1

Damn, Yakuza fans really put in the work.

Really looking forward to this, bought Yakuza 0 on a whim and it ended up being my GOTY so far, even outclassing persona for me in terms of pure fun. I watch the recap video of the events of the first game (so I could play 4 and 5) but even with that there seemed to be a crazy amount of shit it didn't touch.

Beyond excited for this. Might grab an av later, this one has been getting stale anyways.

Kaizer

Banned
I'm really pumped to play Kiwami as I never played the first Yakuza game in the series. I actually started the series with Yakuza 2 when it first released on PS2 & just watched the recap for Y1 on the main menu. Been hooked on the series ever since & have played all the main titles in addition to importing Kenzan & playing the zombie spinoff. I'm still most looking forward to Yakuza 6 though, as seeing the engine leap they make for the next game is really refreshing & exciting.

I still think the Golf sidestory game from yakuza 2 is way worse then any other mini game, The timing + wind calculation was way worse then even 20 hit run.

I didn't find the gold mini game all that bad on 2 with a guide, it was just a matter of timing and after that it was fairly forgiving as you didn't have to get a hole in one every time. Where as the batting cage in 1 didn't let you miss a single ball.

That said, without a guide I'd have never cleared the golf mini game in a million years.

Skulldead

I didn't find the gold mini game all that bad on 2 with a guide, it was just a matter of timing and after that it was fairly forgiving as you didn't have to get a hole in one every time. Where as the batting cage in 1 didn't let you miss a single ball.

That said, without a guide I'd have never cleared the golf mini game in a million years.

Yeah i told myself the same thing, without a youtube video to explain what to do, i would a clearly never done it. I probably got lucky for the baseball, it was long and hard, but never the level of golf i think. Anaway most of the mini game in 2 were insane hard.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yup Yakuza 2 is the best Yakuza after 0, some would say it's equally good since Y0 has the advantage of more finely tuned gameplay systems, and having a 60 fps version available.

The story of Yakuza 2 is fantastic as it has THE BEST antagonist the series has ever seen, and we've seen legitimately great antagonists in the form of
Yoshitaka Mine
in Yakuza 3, and
Nishiki
in Yakuza 1/Kiwami.

It is a game where if you CAN play it, then definitely go for it but AFTER playing Yakuza Kiwami. And if you play Y2, then definitely play Y3.

Agreed that Y2 had the best villain. Just wish the game didn't faff about for such long stretches. He plays a big role in Act 1 then practically disappears until the 11th hour. So much of the game is spent dealing with lesser antagonists and nonsense for so much padding. Just was let down by that.

I really disliked the antagonist in Y1, and outside of the awesome intro, mostly felt it had the worst story of the entire series. Just total cliche predictable nonsense. It was all too silly even by soap opera standards. But it has such a strong intro.

In, thanks for this!

Just finished Yakuza 0 earlier in the week and absolutely loved it; I'm 100% sold on the series. I'm definitely getting Kiwami but probably will do so next year, just to put a little room between them. And then we'll go from there...

PrimeTime

Hey fellow supporters. I've grabbed this little gem of an avatar in full support of the Yakuza games.

I've bought or downloaded (Y5 was on PS Plus) all of the main Yakuza games even the elusive (and hella expensive Y2). I started playing the original game last year but stopped after a little while - I hit a tough boss fight and gave up only to pursue other games on my "new" PS3. When I heard that Y0 was coming out I did the unthinkable for me - I placed a preorder.

For the last several months (I have limited time to game) I've been playing 0 and I've really enjoyed it. The story is pretty good (I'm on chapter 12). What's awesome is I had a little bit of an understanding of the first game, I'm deep in the story in Yakuza and I can tell the story is going to really gel together between both games- I'm really excited to see how the continuity of characters plays out. I'm also really liking the mini-games and ridiculous amount of stuff you need to complete in 0, it feels like I'll never get done (I'm close to 100 hours). I want to complete everything in the game before I head on to Kiwami (I'll probably play the original game first then try Kiwami and get all the completions on that game).

Anyway, I appreciate the avatar and I wanted the community to know I'm a Yakuza supporter myself. Have fun everyone!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Soon time to develop heat eye at the batting center again lol.
I swear every time I get down to platting these I fail so often at the batting minigame until the ball just seems to slow down for my brain and it becomes easy.

Is there any benefits for preordering this?

For physical it guarantees you get the steelbook case if that's your thing. I believe digital pre orders get a PS4 theme but that's it. The only DLC in the game is post game presents that Bob the clown gives you, even then all you get are random items that can be gotten in game and a different outfit for Kiryu to wear in the post game premium modes.

Soon time to develop heat eye at the batting center again lol.
I swear every time I get down to platting these I fail so often at the batting minigame until the ball just seems to slow down for my brain and it becomes easy.
lol
I wish we could get the plat for these games just by doing batting cages. I'll happily finish the hardest difficulty of batting if it meant that I wouldn't have to do Mahjong...

Why can't they release these games on a friday or something? I don't really get to play much during the week.

Here in the UK we usual get (or got) games released on Fridays, made sense to me as I always got a nice solid 3 days play on new games before shambling back to school/work. These days though more and more releases are launched on Tuesdays. Don't get me wrong the worldwide simultaneous launch is great, but I still miss getting games on Fridays (or if I was lucky, and early copy on the Thursday!)

Rymuth

Couldn't stay away from Majima for long. Could you banner me this, Arbok?

goro-majima-project-x-zone-2-86.5.jpg

I didn't resize it, figured it'd be easier to work with that way.

Top Bottom