• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon has summons, kart racing, PachiSlot, and more

Kazza

Gematsu have the following translation of a Fimatsu magazine article:

Characters

• Saeko Mukouda (voiced by Sumire Uesaka) – Cabaret hostess.
  • Kouichi Adachi (voiced by Akio Ootsuka) – A former detective. He has received an unreasonable demotion by Horinouchi, the Superintendent General of the Metropolitan Police, for revolting against him. He is working with protagonist Ichiban Kasuga to get closer to Masumi Arakawa, who holds the evidence.
Live Command RPG Battle

When a battle begins, the regular people and those wearing delinquent-like outfits on the field will transform into RPG-like enemy characters with mohawks, or be half-naked, and have weapons.

Summons

By paying money on your smartphone in battle, you can summon help. A large number of characters can be summoned, including Gary Buster Holmes, Gonda Wara, a crayfish, and more. Summons can support you in battle through attack, recovery, and more.

Play Spots

• Dragon Cart – A racing game set on a course in the streets of Yokosuka. Pick up boxes to obtain weapons like a rocket launcher or Gatling gun.
  • Traditional Movie Theater – Ichiban Kasuga always falls asleep in the middle of a movie. This is a button-pressing (rhythm game?) where Kasuga battles the temptation of a sheep man in order to overcome that sleepiness.
  • PachiSlot – PachiSlot games Million God: Kamigami no Gaisen Another God Hades: Ubowareta ZEUS Ver., PachiSlot Fist of the Blue Sky: Houyuu, and PachiSlot Moujuuou: Ouja no Houkou appear. Settings do not reset when you leave the parlor, but rather change with specific timing. Machines located closer to the entrance have higher rates, which reflect the settings of real life parlors. This is the only PachiSlot simulator running on PlayStation 4.

"Yakuza Kart" sounds like fun. It sounds like the battles are in part an expression of the protagonist's imagination, where he overlays his love of DragonQuest onto the real world. It all sounds a bit surreal with enemies transforming like that. Could be fun though.

EDIT: gameplay and story trailers added

More gameplay footage:

Last edited:

Verdanth

Can you summon the old battle system?

ohyou.jpg

Kazza

The more I hear of this game, the more I feel inclined to like it. I'm sure the RGG Team won't let us down.

Pallas

Summon idea is pretty cool, it’s like hired muscle which makes sense for the modern setting, I was kind of expecting something worse when I saw “summons” like something FF like which would be too weird for that game.

Kart races yaaaaay

Kazza

New images from the Fimatsu article (SegaBits)

EEMTtfXU0AAee56.jpeg

EEMTtfTUwAALhzQ.jpeg

EEMTtfRU4AAjZBc.jpeg

I difinitely looking forward to the kart racing most. As for the summons, since the new protagonist is such a games fan it would be great to be able to summon Sega characters (Sonic, Blaze, Shinobi, the dragon from Panzer etc). The big news I'm waiting for though is the arcade reveal. I'm wishing for Scud Race, Daytona 2 or a Sega Rally game.

I've heard so many great things about this series. I'll have to look into it once I get my PS4 - looks like literally everything is or is going to be available.

Kazza

New TGS trailer:

The environmental aspects of the combat look fun (I liked the bit where the man was knocked in the way of the car), and it's good to see karaoke make a return after its absence in Judgment. I didn't see any new arcade games in the mini-game part though (I hope they are saving any new arcade games for a special announcement)

CryuluX.jpg

Kazza

New trailer (English subs):

Also some exra details about the game (Gematsu):

Sega has updated the official Japanese website for Yakuza: Like a Dragon (known as Yakuza 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness in Japan) with details on the game’s Dragon Kart, Traditional Movie Theater, and PachiSlot play spots, as well as new characters Saeko Mukouda and Kouichi Adachi. Additionally, the company debuted a story trailer, game trailer, and battle gameplay footage during a stage event at Tokyo Game Show 2019.

Finally, Sega of America and Europe have officially announced the western release of Yakuza: Like a Dragon in 2020 following an accidental early announcement in late August. The game’s official English teaser website is now open.
Get the details below.
■ Play Spots
Dragon Kart

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon_2019_09-12-19_001.jpg

Dragon Kart is a dangerous racing game that turns the town areas of Yokohama into a course you race around in modded karts. Surpass quirky rivals and aim for first place. Also, many dangerous attack items such as a “Rocket Launcher” will appear during the race. By using these, you can crash your rivals’ karts. Karts can be swapped and customized. Polishing your racing skills is one way to go about winning, or you can focus entirely on attacking. However you choose to do it, aim to dominate the Grand Prix.
—Drift and corner your kart in a Chinatown-esque cityscape. Polish your techniques and surpass your rivals!

—Many item boxes appear on the course. In addition to boost items, you can also obtain attack items like a Rocket Launcher or Gatling Gun. Fire away to crash your enemies and immediately speed past them!

Traditional Movie Theater

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon_2019_09-12-19_004.jpg

The Traditional Movie Theater is a play spot where you can see various genres of movies from action to documentaries. But during the movie, “sleepiness” will attack Ichiban Kasuga time and time again to try to put him to sleep. Repel the sleepiness that comes again and again by quickly pressing the buttons indicated on the screen. The game is cleared when you have watched the movie until the end.
—Uminekoza shows a total of 10 movies. By overcoming your sleepiness and watching these movies until the end, your abilities will grow.

—The sleepiness that attacks takes the form of sheep heads. Sleepiness attacks from the shadows of the theater seat to try to lower Kasuga’s vitality gauge. If it reaches zero, you will get a game over.

PachiSlot

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon_2019_09-12-19_012.jpg

PachiSlot, a popular play spot in the series thus far, reappears in Yakuza: Like a Dragon as the “Definitive PachiSlot Simulator,” featuring everything from the latest machines to highly regarded and well-known machines. Universal Entertainment’s Million God: Kamigami no Gaisen and Another God Hades: Ubowareta ZEUS Ver., and Sammy’s PachiSlot Fist of the Blue Sky: Houyuu and PachiSlot Moujuuou: Ouja no Houkou are all perfectly reproduced through dream collaborations. These can be played as play spots at PIA, Espace Nittaku, and Maruhan in Isezaki Ijincho and Kamurocho. Each machine also has a mode that lets you play with your favorite settings.
*Million God: Kamigami no Gaisen and Another God Hades: Ubowareta ZEUS Ver. will be released as free downloadable content day and date with the game’s release.
—Million God: Kamigami no Gaisen

—Another God Hades: Ubowareta ZEUS Ver.

—PachiSlot Fist of the Blue Sky: Houyuu

—PachiSlot Moujuuou: Ouja no Houkou

■ Characters

Saeko Mukouda (voiced by Sumire Uesaka)

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon_2019_09-12-19_015.jpg

She works for the cabaret club run by Nonomiya, owner of the long standing soapland (brothel) Otohime Land. Nonomiya has great faith in her, and even entrusts her to running the shop. She gets to know Ichiban Kasuga after a certain event.

Kouichi Adachi (voiced by Akio Ootsuka)

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon_2019_09-12-19_017.jpg

When he was working as a criminal investigator for the police, he was handed an unreasonable demotion by his boss Juurou Horinouchi, the current Superintendent General of the Metropolitan Police, for defying Horinouchi regarding the true culprit of a case. After investigating Horinouchi’s affairs, he arrived at a bribery scandal between Horinouchi and Masumi Arakawa. Adachi works with Ichiban Kasuga to get close to Masumi Arakawa, who seems to have the evidence he needs.

Kazza

More gameplay footage:

I haven't played a modern RPGfor quite a while, but this looks very dynamic to me.

Last edited:
After watching the combat demonstration video, I'm less convinced this is how I want to play a Yakuza game. This is probably going to be a title, where I'll want to get my hands on a demo before making a purchase.

Last edited:

Hudo

This has the potential to be my favourite Yakuza game. I am liking the direction Sega is taking with this one. Incidentally, whereas Yakuza adopts a (somewhat) turn-based combat system, Sakura Wars adopts an action-combat system. I am ok with both of those new directions.

Top Bottom