• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon | OT | Punching and Brawling Like a G6

Komatsu

y7-LAD-logo.png

y7-LAD-geninfo.png

Developer(s): Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio
Publisher(s): Sega
Director(s): Ryosuke Horii
Producer(s): Hiroyuki Sakamoto, Daisuke Sato
Platform(s):
Microsoft Windows
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S
Release:
PlayStation 4
JP: January 16, 2020
WW: November 10, 2020
Win, XBO, XSX/S
WW: November 10, 2020
JP: 2021
PlayStation 5
WW: March 2, 2021

y7-LAD-story.png

In 2001, Ichiban Kasuga, a junior member of the Tojo Clan's Arakawa Family, is asked by the family's patriarch Masumi Arakawa to go to prison for a murder that he did not commit to protect the real killer, a senior officer Arakawa considers indispensable. Ichiban agrees, hoping that this will make him a hero in the Tojo Clan and eager to honor an unspecified "debt" he owes his patriarch. Eighteen years later, Kasuga is released from prison only to find that nobody remembers him and no one from his family is even waiting to meet him when he gets out; he goes to confront Arakawa, who shoots him in the chest. Several days later, Kasuga wakes up half-naked under a pile of trash and eventually finds out that he is in the Yokohama district of Isezaki Ijincho. Realizing that his patriarch left him for dead, he sets out to learn why and uncover the real reason for his prison sentence, a journey that sees him face off against yakuza, triad, and Korean gangsters and criminals with help from the many allies he meets along the way. [FROM THE WIKI]

y7-LAD-media.png

etce7LZ.jpg
TOuW0Z2.jpg

y7-LAD-development.png

HotPocket69

Banned
Copping Friday for my PS4 Pro. Haven’t had that Yakuza taste since Judgment (which was excellent) and I welcome the gameplay change with open arms. I am TOTALLY fucking down with turn based Yakuza combat ☑️

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some Yakuza: Like a Steam Dragon screenshots, the game works fine with Dual Shock 4 (no weird inputs, no need to use Steam controller set up or emulate Xbox pad). I missed there's an OT and everything. Oh well. It sucks these don't seem to work at native res and have no options. Still great!!!
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj6n.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj8e.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202alkfb.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202r0khm.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202zbklz.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202ntkxg.png

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is an excellent game. Very story heavy, moreso than the other ones. The first few chapters you hardly play and have a very basic move set.

Disappointed that quick resume doesn't work with this on S. It does save often, but beware. 900p looks relatively fine btw, can't pass up dem 60fps.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

Going turn-based was honestly a fantastic decision. RGG Studio didn't half-ass their approach here. They went all-in, as if they always wanted the series to be turn-based. They know how to make it fun, snappy, and engaging. I think the average enemy encounter might even be over a bit faster here than in previous games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Goddamn is this reference to this banger?

Which is reference to this great fly machine:
90d82de91925b7ff2f0e5b5a2e5c1a3f.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game is awesome, I don't remember the last time I had this many laughs with a game.

It starts very slow tho, lot's of story (which is interesting and cool) and simple combat, but it seems to open up once you reach chapter 3.

Also Ichiban is one hell of a character, he totally takes the role of "the hero" in Dragon Quest to the point or borderline stupidity, I love it.

Mhmmm 2077

I believe the game is optimized better than Kiwami 2. RGG Studio really did a good job by making the PC version in-house alongside the console versions. On ultra details 1080p I'm getting ~40 fps on my 2012 GPU (HD 7970 GHz 3GB). New PC is almost ready, just lacking a GPU, which I hope I will be able to order next week (RX 6800XT). I have only beaten the tutorial fight and decided I will wait with playing it until my new PC is running.

Game is awesome, I don't remember the last time I had this many laughs with a game.

It starts very slow tho, lot's of story (which is interesting and cool) and simple combat, but it seems to open up once you reach chapter 3.

Also Ichiban is one hell of a character, he totally takes the role of "the hero" in Dragon Quest to the point or borderline stupidity, I love it.
They unload a whole lot of story on you in the first 3 hours, without spoiling anything I'm at the part where Ichiban realizes things have changed,

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They unload a whole lot of story on you in the first 3 hours, without spoiling anything I'm at the part where Ichiban realizes things have changed,
Yes, but for all I despise "movie-games" this one didn't bored me for a second. Great pacing so far.

Is it better on PC or ps4 pro ?
If you have a decent PC, it's better.

RNG

Anybody know where the save file location is stored on Steam? This game apparently doesn't use Steam Cloud :messenger_neutral:.

Erdrick

As a massive Dragon Quest fanboy and almost as big of a Yakuza fanboy, this is the perfect melding of the 2 games I love. Quickly getting the hang and flow of the new combat and it totally feels natural now.

I've seen some others online complain of how lighthearted the game looks compared to older games but really, it's just as serious as the others, at least for what I've seen midway through chapter 2, I think. Ichiban being a huge DQ nerd warms my heart and he's quickly grown on me. Same with other supporting characters that I've seen so far.

You don't even get a game over when you lose a fight, but just lose half your money.

Just like Dragon Quest.

I'm absolutely fucking loving what I'm playing and this is all but assured to be my game of the year.

Maybe two to three hours in now - lots of lengthy cutscenes, but boy does the story have me hooked. Otherwise, looks and sounds like a Yakuza game, but with turn-based rpg mechanics. So far, really enjoying it!

True that. Also, your username slays me.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

This describes me as well, yet I was still glued to all the cutscenes across like eight Yakuza games!

I'm getting more excited about this one after the last few posts here. Will wait for the PS5 release.
The wait will be worth it! I'm about 8 hours in and so far this is one of the best games I've played this year.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
As a massive Dragon Quest fanboy and almost as big of a Yakuza fanboy, this is the perfect melding of the 2 games I love. Quickly getting the hang and flow of the new combat and it totally feels natural now.

I've seen some others online complain of how lighthearted the game looks compared to older games but really, it's just as serious as the others, at least for what I've seen midway through chapter 2, I think. Ichiban being a huge DQ nerd warms my heart and he's quickly grown on me. Same with other supporting characters that I've seen so far.

You don't even get a game over when you lose a fight, but just lose half your money.

Just like Dragon Quest.

I'm absolutely fucking loving what I'm playing and this is all but assured to be my game of the year.
The plot is very much the old classic Yakuza sytle, not lighthearted at all and it has a lot of satisfying references. Plus Ichiban is much better fitted to do the wacky side quests than Kiryu.

However I did find the combat lacks of depth. The system is missing the tactic aspect, which imo is a huge weakness for turn-based combat.

Last edited:
The plot is very much the old classic Yakuza sytle, not lighthearted at all and it has a lot of satisfying references. Plus Ichiban is much better fitting to do the wacky side quests than Kiryu.

However I did find the combat lacks of depth. The system is missing the tactic aspect, which imo is a huge weakness for turn-based combat.

Agreed on the story (from what I've seen so far). Sad to hear about the combat. It's certainly a good first attempt, tho. Hopefully this becomes a legitimate spin off to the main series, cuz I'd love to see them continue to improve upon the formula they've laid out in this game.

Also, how awesome would it have been if they'd had the funding and motivation to create an 8-bit version in the vein of DQ XI S dual play styles? Could you even imagine a 2D Kamurocho? Oh man, gets me all tingly in the nether regions.

Arkam

I really want to get into this series. Where would people recommend hoping in? I am thinking maybe the Kiwami "remakes". Not looking to play the entire series, just a few of the stand out entries.

TMLT

Around 4 hours in and its good. Ichiban is a likeable main character and the story seems interesting so far.

I really want to get into this series. Where would people recommend hoping in? I am thinking maybe the Kiwami "remakes". Not looking to play the entire series, just a few of the stand out entries.

This or Yakuza 0 are good jumping on points imo.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Agreed on the story (from what I've seen so far). Sad to hear about the combat. It's certainly a good first attempt, tho. Hopefully this becomes a legitimate spin off to the main series, cuz I'd love to see them continue to improve upon the formula they've laid out in this game.

Also, how awesome would it have been if they'd had the funding and motivation to create an 8-bit version in the vein of DQ XI S dual play styles? Could you even imagine a 2D Kamurocho? Oh man, gets me all tingly in the nether regions.
I want to justify tho, the combat is still very fun, especially you have all those hyperreal hilarious cutscenes, it never gets old. I just found there weren't too much synergy or arrangement for fighting, you essentially just spam the max damage skills and such. (there are stats and weakness system but don't really matter except for one or two boss fights.)

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Kiwami really helps to get into the franchise's grand settings and the original plots. Then you can directly hop on to this one. If you love it, then don't sleep on Yakuza 0 and Judgement.

SkylineRKR

This game is full of charm. Its insane.

Like the cinema minigame, watching stupid movies with some dude and the goal is to stay awake. Its hilarious. I also like the set up, its essentially 3 washed up guys looking for a job. And those jobs get nasty.

The main story is serious though. It is about murder, treachery, loyalty etc. Ichiban though is a very short tempered and goofy guy. But he's not a pussy. He's very likeable and he fits perfectly into the side stories because of his goofy side.

Last edited:

TheKratos

This is an excellent game. Very story heavy, moreso than the other ones. The first few chapters you hardly play and have a very basic move set.

Disappointed that quick resume doesn't work with this on S. It does save often, but beware. 900p looks relatively fine btw, can't pass up dem 60fps.

900p on the SeS? Ffs is this due to the BC being based off Xbox S version? Really hope devs start to enhance for the Series S..

lefty1117

Gold Member
This game reminds me a lot of Shenmue, except it's good

I don't think I've ever played a game where the character you play as is such a moron ... pretty interesting to say the least lmao

This game needs a SSD. In the beginning before you get full control theres a chase scene and it was trying to load textures but my character was too fast leading to game breakingly bad textures or absence of any. The loading is also ps1 level bad on HDD. Massive improvements from SSD.

Also, unlike other entries in the series, the Japanese text and UI are not present. This is probably becayse this version is based off the ps5 version and not the ps4 one. The game is region locked out of Japan, as usual.

Also,There are a few audio glitches early on . "Jo"'s audio in Japanese often gets cut off early.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This game needs a SSD. In the beginning before you get full control theres a chase scene and it was trying to load textures but my character was too fast leading to game breakingly bad textures or absence of any. The loading is also ps1 level bad on HDD. Massive improvements from SSD.

Also, unlike other entries in the series, the Japanese text and UI are not present. This is probably becayse this version is based off the ps5 version and not the ps4 one. The game is region locked out of Japan, as usual.

Also,There are a few audio glitches early on . "Jo"'s audio in Japanese often gets cut off early.
I regret putting it on a HDD. Sometimes a whole area didn't even load

No building, no anything. Then suddenly everything pops up. Only early game though, haven't seen it again.

SkylineRKR

900p on the SeS? Ffs is this due to the BC being based off Xbox S version? Really hope devs start to enhance for the Series S..

Yeah but it makes sense. Series X is only 1440p when you want 60fps. Pro is 1080p at 30 with no option afaik. You can play 1440p 30 on Series S which is a vast improvement over the Pro version. But 900p doesn't look bad on my 55 inch, and it plays really well at 60fps. I prefer it so far. Game has pretty much no loading times at all on the SSD systems. Glad I picked it up on the S and not PS4 Pro.

Dragon Engine is just very taxing if you look at the PC GPU indexes.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Just a quick question on this game as well as others in the series: Are all the Sega arcade games available in the Yakuza games full versions of the arcade counterpart, or are they cut down mini games experiences?

Top Bottom