• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon PS5 Will Have 4K/30 FPS And 1440p/60 FPS Options | Xbox Versions Coming To Japan

Mista

Banned
Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon-3-768x432.jpg

Sega launched the official website for the International Edition of the game. There they confirm the PS5 will feature the same options as the Series X, meaning you have an option between 4K and 30 FPS or 1440p and 60 FPS. Xbox fans in Japan will also be glad to hear the game will be coming to those platforms in the region, after being delayed indefinitely. All three Xbox versions will drop on February 25th, just ahead of the official PS5 version.

//DEVIL//

A PS4 game at 4k and 30 frames.. how weak these consoles are exactly ?
It’s a game build on a system from 2013...

Wtf am I missing here ?

Chukhopops

Wtf am I missing here ?
The engine is simply really wonky in this game, from a technical point of view it’s a mess with bad LOD, texture popping, bad aliasing etc.

Everyone should play this though, it is IMO the best JRPG of the entire generation, it’s like Persona 5 but with more than two likeable characters.

Edit : also don’t even think of using the 30fps mode, if it’s the same as the SX version it’s absolutely nauseating. There is only one playable mode and it’s the 60fps one.

Last edited:

Hudo

The engine is simply really wonky in this game, from a technical point of view it’s a mess with bad LOD, texture popping, bad aliasing etc.

Everyone should play this though, it is IMO the best JRPG of the entire generation, it’s like Persona 5 but with more than two likeable characters.

Edit : also don’t even think of using the 30fps mode, if it’s the same as the SX version it’s absolutely nauseating. There is only one playable mode and it’s the 60fps one.
Now that you mention is. It really is true. I really like all of the party members, even if some have their annoyances.
While I also really like P5R, I do agree that the party members are less well realized.
I even came around on Zhao. I hated him before he joined the party. But the dude is cool.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That’s the only reason why I ain’t buying it! I hate turn based combat.

Yeah that's my redline. Forced myself to play Persona 5 and barley survived the boredom of the first level then deleted it. Yakuza is wonderful with fun beat em up combat that they tossed it in the bin with this one.

Allandor

Wtf am I missing here ?
It is still the same like the yakuza when it was tested for Series X. It is a really "bad" engine. It does what it does without beeing especially effective. Even on PC the game is "burning" high end hardware if you want 4k 60.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I'm currently playing it on my PS5 (I first played on PS4 then pick up my save on BC PS5), with 90+hours at chapter 13, it's a great RPG with very likeable characters and a good story. I don't mind the turn based battles at all but like for many JPRG it just take 10h to have enough abilities to make it interesting.
The ps4 resolution is awful, the loading times on PS5 are amazing (5s to get back in game from the home menu), and i'll have completed this great game before the PS5 version is available but no regret.

Chukhopops

Now that you mention is. It really is true. I really like all of the party members, even if some have their annoyances.
While I also really like P5R, I do agree that the party members are less well realized.
I even came around on Zhao. I hated him before he joined the party. But the dude is cool.
Yeah that's where the game really succeeds, Adachi, Nanba, Saeko, every character feels so genuine and likeable. The JP voice acting is probably the best I’ve ever seen.

The conversations they have in the city are fantastic, one of the only times a game felt really funny. Kasuga is also a more interesting protagonist and the main storyline is as good as Zero.

Ma-Yuan

Started playing the ps4 version on my ps5 and I am astonished how quick everything loads without optimizations. Looks blurry but I don't care couldnt wait. It's like visiting Japan again 🇯🇵😁 after a long time. I am bit annoyed sega went with an exclusive deal for a few months for XSX and XSX... I mean there is not a huge user base on the system let alone do I think the general xbox user is interested in it and people might get pissed of by it on the ps side... But anyway everyone should play it where ever they can.

Stuart360

Yes, because what Yakuza needs is endless button mashing the same combo combination. This was the reason I dropped Yakuza 0, the fights were monotonous af.
Its very strange to go from 72 games with real time combat, then randomly turn based with the next game. Things like that dont happen often with a new entry in a series, and probably shouldnt imo as its quite a radical change to long established type of game and gameplay.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

It's depressing that this great series went to retard turn-based combat.
Yeah that's my redline. Forced myself to play Persona 5 and barley survived the boredom of the first level then deleted it. Yakuza is wonderful with fun beat em up combat that they tossed it in the bin with this one.
Agree on the turn base and persona comment . After I finished the first boss which was the teacher I think ? I was like fuck I can’t anymore . And same for this game . It’s not like the flashy affect are nice or anything like final fantasy to at least keep you motivated . I saw a dude special move was taking off his cloths but white underwear and start hitting . Like wtf :/

Hudo

Its very strange to go from 72 games with real time combat, then randomly turn based with the next game. Things like that dont happen often with a new entry in a series, and probably shouldnt imo as its quite a radical change to long established type of game and gameplay.
The ironic thing is that during the same time, they took an iconic turn-based dating sim/RPG and turned it into an dating sim/action game: Sakura Wars (2020).

Zheph

They went turn battle but not a very good variant of it and the jobs system is not that great but in terms of other Yakuza games, the side content is really awesome in this one. Characters are really good too, story was alright

In the top JRPG, its behind FFVIIR and P5R for me in 2020

ethomaz

Banned
I believe the main games continue being button smashing...

It is turn based because it is a spin off RPG based in the franchise.

After the success the spin-off will probably receive sequels... it is not the first time the spin off become more popular than the main games (Persona, NiER, etc).

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Sounds great. The game has literally been sitting on the shelf waiting for the PS5 version so I can play it. 1440/60 will be a delight.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Yeah it's a GPU demanding game and Sega Japan is not exactly the king of optimization. Expect another cross gen title in 2021 from them...

In 2020, when they'll use a new engine, we could see games that take advantage of the decent CPU of the PS5 and/or...

RGG will say fuck it. Japan is Nintendo land now and they will keep outsourcing ports of Yakuza Zero and Dragon Engine games (Y6, Y7) on Switch, Switch pro without efforts ha ha. (it won't sell that much but would be profitable considering the moldovan port team)

Last edited:

Aenima

I believe the main games continue being button smashing...

It is turn based because it is a spin off RPG based in the franchise.

After the success the spin-off will probably receive sequels... it is not the first time the spin off become more popular than the main games (Persona, NiER, etc).
Yakuza Like a Dragon is not a spin-off, its the next main game in the series. In Japan the game is called Ryū ga Gotoku 7 . They just changed the name in the west to make it clear its a new saga staring a new main character.

A spinoff, is Judgment and that one has the same action combat as other Yakuzas.

The reason this game has turn based combat was because they did an april fools video where the game had turn based combat, and the reception to the video was great and made alot of ppl excited to have a new yakuza with turned based combat. They decided to keep developing the turn based combat for the new saga, but they told if the games reception to the combat was bad they had no problems in going back to action combat again. The game mechanics seems to have been well received so i doubt they go back to action combat for the next one.

With some many games abandoning good turn based combat to implement mediocre button mashin action combat, im glad this one did the oposite. I love all Yakuza games, but i welcome the new combat mechanics. My Favorite JRPGs are all turn based. (FF7, Persona, Dragon Quests).

Fat Frog

Yakuza Like a Dragon is not a spin-off, its the next main game in the series. In Japan the game is called Ryū ga Gotoku 7 . They just changed the name in the west to make it clear its a new saga staring a new main character.

A spinoff, is Judgment and that one has the same action combat as other Yakuzas.

The reason this game has turn based combat was because they did an april fools video where the game had turn based combat, and the reception to the video was great and made alot of ppl excited to have a new yakuza with turned based combat. They decided to keep developing the turn based combat for the new saga, but they told if the games reception to the combat was bad they had no problems in going back to action combat again. The game mechanics seems to have been well received so i doubt they go back to action combat for the next one.

With some many games abandoning good turn based combat to implement mediocre button mashin action combat, im glad this one did the oposite. I love all Yakuza games, but i welcome the new combat mechanics. My Favorite JRPGs are all turn based. (FF7, Persona, Dragon Quests).
They'll continue the brawler games as well for one reason : Easy remakes...

Yakuza Studio will keep remastering or remaking old games and won't lose time revolutionizing combat system.

Yakuza 3 remaster was the limit (Kiryu's animation is laughable) and Kenzan is even more clunky. We could expect a quick Dragon Engine remake before a more consistent canon episode.

ethomaz

Banned

That clear up the things... thanks.

Well the top rated JRPGs this gen are turn-based... Personal 5, Dragon Quest XI, etc.
Action JRPGs were not received that well.

Fat Frog

That clear up the things... thanks.

Well the top rated JRPGs this gen are turn-based... Personal 5, Dragon Quest XI, etc.
Action JRPGs were not received that well.
For the trademarked Sakura Ishin, Sega should abandon Action system or improve it dramatically. :/

Housh

I have been waiting for the PS5 version and hope preorders for the physical go up soon.

I'm fine with getting 60fps at 1440 assuming it's doing the checker box PS4 Pro did. However, crisp text and UI is a big deal specially if you are reading subtitles and it's a RPG.

I hope they figure out a way to render 2D elements in games in 4k and have the 3d engine render at a lower or variable refresh rate to maintain frames. Does VRR promise that?

SkylineRKR

Series S version I beat and its and interesting one. Meets the advertised S resolution; 1440p/30, and 900p/60 as an option. Which means it beats One X/Pro handily, those are stuck at 1080p/30. 60fps plays awesome and doesn't look bad at all. Game has no significant load times whatsoever.

PS5 will be a step better, like SX, at 1440/60 but I'll pass.

Top Bottom