• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon PS5 Will Have 4K/30 FPS And 1440p/60 FPS Options | Xbox Versions Coming To Japan

Boss Mog

I'm a bit surprised because graphically I don't really see anything preventing this game from running 4k/60 on the PS5 or Series X. I'm guessing the devs just aren't up to the task but then again they don't have the same budget as bigger studios. Their character models are always excellent, it's just their backgrounds that are fairly simplistic by comparison.

I would still love for this studio to be given a bigger budget and make a Sleeping Dogs style gritty open-world Yakuza game with really good realistic hand to hand combat. Sleeping Dogs had so much potential, it's a shame Square-Enix let it die.

ssringo

Really didn't think I'd like the change to turn based but it would up being my GotY for 2020. Even loved the English voice work.

My only disappointment was that Seong-Hui didn't join the party.

Chukhopops

Omg.. The hyperbole....
It's absolutely fine and not nauseating at all. I'm playing the ps4 version and it's most DEFINITELY fine. Don't listen to this guy.
Im not judging the PS4 version which I haven’t played, I’m talking about the 4K 30fps console version which so far only exists on Series X. It stutters like hell and has terrible frame pacing.

ethomaz

Banned
Omg.. The hyperbole....
It's absolutely fine and not nauseating at all. I'm playing the ps4 version and it's most DEFINITELY fine. Don't listen to this guy.
I believe it is because the framerate issues on Series X in this mode and not the framerate itself... 30fps in a turn based RPG should be fine.

Edit - Just to understand better.

4k30fps = framepacing issues
1440p60fps = VSYNCED

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You should call sony and tell them how fucked up they are. Maybe they will hire you to fix it.
Damn right. This is a joke . No matter how bad the engine is. It’s a PS4 game . And not even good looking or a huge open world game to give it an excuse . Pathetic.

Tiamat2san

The engine is simply really wonky in this game, from a technical point of view it’s a mess with bad LOD, texture popping, bad aliasing etc.

Everyone should play this though, it is IMO the best JRPG of the entire generation, it’s like Persona 5 but with more than two likeable characters.

Edit : also don’t even think of using the 30fps mode, if it’s the same as the SX version it’s absolutely nauseating. There is only one playable mode and it’s the 60fps one.
No, I played at 30fps for better image clarity (almost no aliasing), no stutters and almost no frame pacing.
60fps is not that useful for a turn RPG.

different tastes, I guess.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I'm a bit surprised because graphically I don't really see anything preventing this game from running 4k/60 on the PS5 or Series X. I'm guessing the devs just aren't up to the task but then again they don't have the same budget as bigger studios. Their character models are always excellent, it's just their backgrounds that are fairly simplistic by comparison.

I would still love for this studio to be given a bigger budget and make a Sleeping Dogs style gritty open-world Yakuza game with really good realistic hand to hand combat. Sleeping Dogs had so much potential, it's a shame Square-Enix let it die.

Well I think the point is it's designed around old tech (read: PS4 originally). I agree there's nothing in any of the Yakuza games that makes me think it couldn't hit 4K60. It's decent-looking for a PS4 game (f we're talking anything after Yakuza 6 on the new engine) but yeah for next-gen machines it shouldn't even be in question. For starters the draw distance is really short because of all the buildings around you. There really isn't that much to render.

Like someone else said It might be because of the restraints of the old system. I can confirm it looks and runs great on the Series X so im sure the pS5 version is gonna be dope too....but It is 1440p so..

Hopefully with the sequel to this one, or future Yakuza games we get a new engine that bumps the fidelity.

Hell hopefully they do another "Judgement" game and bump it up there

bender

What time is it?
It's depressing that this great series went to retard turn-based combat.
giphy.gif

Hudo

The most unexpected thing happened in this game, where I actually also had fun with the business management "sim". Maybe Sega should try their hands on full game based on that?

Last edited:

Zheph

The most unexpected thing happened in this game, where I actually also had fun with the business management "sim". Maybe Sega should try their hands on full game based on that?
How is this unexpected? It's usually the best bits of those games

Hudo

How is this unexpected? It's usually the best bits of those games
Well, I didn't expect it to be this fun for me because I'm not usually one for "business management". Even though I do like Aerobiz and Rollerocoaster Tycoon 2, which are basically "business sims", I guess.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You dropped it because that shaker kept stealing your money after getting your butt handed to you. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Turn-based = mobile game.
So seems like you are also not fan of JRPGs, which reading through GAF makes it seems is like a sacrilege for Playstation fan. I with you on this.

Zheph

Well, I didn't expect it to be this fun for me because I'm not usually one for "business management". Even though I do like Aerobiz and Rollerocoaster Tycoon 2, which are basically "business sims", I guess.
The boardroom bit is very fun, very visual. Glad you like it, personally my favourite is the cabaret club (Y0 or YK2)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So seems like you are also not fan of JRPGs, which reading through GAF makes it seems is like a sacrilege for Playstation fan. I with you on this.

I hate all turn-based JRPG games, or any turn-based game. Final Fantasy 15 is the best FF so far as I skipped all for being turn-based. FF7 remake is good but stopped because of the pop-ins and for PS5 patch.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It is actually the best combat system Yakuza ever had... probably the best Yakuza game too.

It has the potential to be but not there yet. More than half the game you'll just be spamming the same spell over and over. They need to fine tune the rpg mechanics and who knows.

xrnzaaas

It has the potential to be but not there yet. More than half the game you'll just be spamming the same spell over and over. They need to fine tune the rpg mechanics and who knows.
I don't think it's that bad once you develop your characters and unlock more skills/attacks for them. Not to mention you can recruit more people later in the story and switch your main team. In beat'em up Yakuza's relying on the same favorite attacks could be equally problematic.

(bear in mind I haven't finished Yakuza 7 yet)

SkylineRKR

I'll pass but only because I beat the Series S version which isn't that much worse. I doesn't seem the PS5 version has some bonuses or w/e. Don't sleep on it however, its an incredible and very charming RPG with a good story, solid characters and crazy side quests. The combat is fun but also kind of rough still, its not as tactical or challenging as I would like but its fun.

WildBoy

Started playing the ps4 version on my ps5 and I am astonished how quick everything loads without optimizations. Looks blurry but I don't care couldnt wait. It's like visiting Japan again 🇯🇵😁 after a long time. I am bit annoyed sega went with an exclusive deal for a few months for XSX and XSX... I mean there is not a huge user base on the system let alone do I think the general xbox user is interested in it and people might get pissed of by it on the ps side... But anyway everyone should play it where ever they can.
Xbox doing better in Japan would benefit everyone. My friend has been an Xbox only fan since Xbox one and he's now on the 4th Yakuza thank to the whole series coming over. You presume wrong.

Ma-Yuan

Xbox doing better in Japan would benefit everyone. My friend has been an Xbox only fan since Xbox one and he's now on the 4th Yakuza thank to the whole series coming over. You presume wrong.
So one whole friend who is at part 4 makes the exclusive deal right? I stick with my guts and say the vast majority of the fan base is on the other team 😂

Top Bottom