• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Xbox Series X Hands-On Preview

Feb 25, 2013
lol wut? Fighting with a giant back massager as a weapon, beating up huge diaper wearing dudes... and then becoming their friends... a quest about mistakenly rescuing a crayfish thereby saddening it's human friend so you try to find it again...

wow. Sounds like a silly fun time.

Last edited:

Roufianos

May 14, 2015
Ahhh. If this wasn't turn-based then it would be among my most anticipated games.

Can't believe they did such a drastic revamp, especially as the series was actually growing in personality.

Reactions: CyRuZ

STARSBarry

May 19, 2019
Its sad SEGA has recently got into bed with Microsoft at least from an exclusivity perspective, it did result in PSO2's launch in the west but still a little bummed that there won't be an enhanced version for PS5 until next year.

Guess il be playing it in PS4 Pro style instead.

Last edited:

CyRuZ

Apr 18, 2018
Too bad the gameplay changes totally turned me off. Maybe when it hits bargain bin prices. Never change what isn't broken. The stupid brawling made yakuza so relaxing for me. Now it's lost his soul for me.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Jan 26, 2016
Hang in there at least for Kiwami 2!

This game also isn't connected to the main story if you want to detour. Like Judgment.
Oh really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. The game play looks interesting but I am assuming its going to be a long game liek the other Yakuza games. i would have to set aside some time for it.

Reactions: Laconian Sword

Kuranghi

Apr 17, 2015
Is it blasphemy to play a Yakuza game in english?

I was going to start Y0 soon but last time I got a bit put off by the amount of reading. I don't mind subtitles its just so much dialogue in that game tho.

I take it I just need to nut up?

Reactions: Isa and Dolomite

Tripolygon

Gold Member
May 6, 2012
NYC
Another fun cross gen title. Yakuza has always been the Saints Row of Japan in terms of tone so this is no different.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa and Dolomite

Matt_Fox

Jul 24, 2019
Turn based combat?

I'll have to see how that plays in practice but my initial reaction is negative. The 'biff bang wallop' of Yakuza was always great fun, like the old Batman tv show.

CasasClay

Neo Member
Oct 9, 2020
Really looking forward to it dropping on PC. Played through Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 & 2 within the last year and loved them all. Loved it enough to even get Majima's back tattoo tattooed on my forearm lol. Really hope they end up bringing 3-6 to PC eventually tho.

Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
Reporting whoever play a yakuza game with english dub in here.

If you can't handle the best jap VA in the entire videogame industry you can just play barbie passion dildos.

Last edited:

nush

Oct 16, 2017
A long haul flight from wherever you are.
Games are not that good for me to git gud in this sense, pretty much nothing is, because Japanese sound weird as fuck, however i recognize that you weabs are use to it.
Who ya calling a weab? I prefer all my foreign films subbed not dubbed. I'm sure your native language sounds weird as fuck too, but at least it has the correct tone and inflection.

Reactions: Dolomite and CyRuZ

M1chl

Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
Who ya calling a weab? I prefer all my foreign films subbed not dubbed. I'm sure your native language sounds weird as fuck too, but at least it has the correct tone and inflection.
Absolutely, but no one froces you to listen to it. You can in Mafia: Definitive Edition if you have that.

Reactions: nush

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
The game looks great. I'll definitely be getting it on PC.

The games aren't exactly a technical showcase anyway. The lower budgets are probably a big reason why the franchise has survived so long.

People expecting a massive next gen upgrade were setting themselves up for disappointment

Is it blasphemy to play a Yakuza game in english?

I was going to start Y0 soon but last time I got a bit put off by the amount of reading. I don't mind subtitles its just so much dialogue in that game tho.

I take it I just need to nut up?
Play in whatever language makes the experience more enjoyable for you.

With that said, Yakuza is one of the franchises where playing with Japanese voices makes a lot of sense since you are playing as realistic looking Japanese people in actual Japan.

Playing in English would feel off to me in the same way that playing GTAV in Japanese would feel off.