• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza producer says that Switch isn't the right platform for Yakuza but they may consider XB1

sublimit

Banned
Gameblog.fr recently sat down with Yakuza series producer Daisuke Sato, who discussed everything from the potential of seeing the series on Switch and Xbox One, to the potential creations of a Yakuza 0-2, Binary Domain 2, and more.
Regarding the Yakuza series on non-PlayStation consoles…

Daisuke Sato: “To be realistic about what happened, Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U was a huge failure. But we are always looking to develop for multiple platforms as much as possible and know that brings in a greater audience to attract more people. However, as far as Switch is concerned, I’m convinced that it isn’t the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe people don’t expect this kind of game on Switch. Maybe they’re used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. As for Xbox One, we can consider it, knowing that Xbox One users may be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. This could potentially be an option.”
More at the link:
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/yakuza-...itch-xbox-one-yakuza-0-2-binary-domain-2-more

Last edited:

bufkus

Sounds like it's purely due to a sales perspective so can't really blame them.
And bringing up the XB1 means they're aiming for more international sales than domestic.

Yakuza might be the one Japanese IP that sells better on Xbox than Switch.

In any case, Phil Spencer will need to break out his checkbook for more Japanese games like this anyway.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Sounds like it's purely due to a sales perspective so can't really blame them.
And bringing up the XB1 means they're aiming for more international sales than domestic.
They are already international with PS4 and PC, but since the Yakuza series is kind of over, it's basically just porting nowadays. Maybe a spinoff series.

Petrae

I’m on board if Yakuza comes to XBO, though I’m happy with it on PS4 as it stands. As for Switch, well... I can’t blame the producer for saying no after sales of the last Yakuza title on a Nintendo platform. It would already be a risk moving to XBO.

dolabla

I had forgotten all about the Wii U Yakuza release in Japan.

I already own most of them (except 6) on PS4, but It would be cool to have it on the X1 and X1 X enhanced.

Fox Mulder

Yakuza also on Xbox would be a nice get by Spencer.

Wonder how they'd do it though with 0, kiwami, and 6 out, plus kiwami 2 and the remasters of 3-5 coming.

Fbh

They are already international with PS4 and PC, but since the Yakuza series is kind of over, it's basically just porting nowadays. Maybe a spinoff series.
I think it's just the story of Kiryu which is over

They even showed the new main character already:
HauntingFatalBrahmanbull.gif

sublimit

Banned
I think it's just the story of Kiryu which is over

They even showed the new main character already:
HauntingFatalBrahmanbull.gif

I don't think that was the next main character though.I think there was some confusion about it but if i remember correctly they later said he would be the main character for some mobile/online Yakuza game. And thank God because he looks terrible to be honest.

Last edited:
I don't think XBOX has the audience Yakuza really needs for worldwide success. I've noticed from my time selling game consoles and games through work that XBOX and PlayStation have very different audiences and I can tell from the pre-owned games I sell the most of what kind of games are mainly played by gamers, so I can't say for certain whether the risk of paying for the extra development would be worth it. I can see an audience on PC, which is why I was politely surprised to see that jump. But honestly, the vast majority of games I sell on XBOX are shooters or FIFA. Occasionally Forza. I really don't sell many single player experiences and it's rare that I ever come across anything like Yakuza.

Though last week someone brought in an XBOX 360 with a box of games including Final Fantasy XI and Tales of Vesperia. That was cool to see.

This does not seem to have hampered the PS4 releases?

Which is a fair response, but this has been the case since 2008 with Yakuza 2 after the embarrassing Yakuza 1 dub. 'Alright then, step the fuck up. It's time to die!'

The Yakuza franchise has built a strong fan base on PlayStation and it's been an acquired taste for ten years. I've been playing Yakuza since the very beginning and I love the Japanese dub. However, different consoles have different audiences and I don't know a single XBOX owner who plays anything like this. I work for a company that sells second hand goods and my colleagues are all XBOX owners, as it has quite a big following here in the UK - and they all play the same games. Forza, Fifa, Call of Duty, MineCraft and that's about it. The majority of our customers play western games only.

I look at my pre-owned section of games and there is such a variety of PlayStation games that I would struggle to properly explain. We have Yakuza for example, Valkyria Chronicles, to Horizon, to God of War, to VR games, to Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, InFamous, Gran Turismo, DriveClub, Killzone etc. We have a wide range of titles for PlayStation in stock, constantly. My XBOX section can be condensed to first person shooters and sports games. I still haven't had a single copy of Tekken 7 on XBOX One. I haven't seen anything like Yakuza on XBOX and honestly I think it would really struggle to find an audience there.

It would be like the Wii-U port. The Japanese XBOX One fan base is almost non-existent. I've been to Japan and explored Tokyo, from Akibahara, to Shinjuku, Roppongi, Shibuya, Chiyoda etc. And I can say with complete certainty that XBOX is almost non-existent. It's very much 50/50 PlayStation and Nintendo. So for SEGA to pump money into porting the game to XBOX for an extremely small fan base in Japan... it just wouldn't make money if it failed in the west, which sadly, I think it would.

lvl8

Imo, it's just saving on time and resource. They'll need lower poly models for the Switch. Cross-platform port to XBone doesn't require as much work compared to downporting to the Switch.

To be truthfully honest, I doubt the Xbox is the right audience for yakuza as well for the obvious reasons. Xbox gamers statistically rarely support Japanese games. Then again, yakuza is unapologetically Japanese, yet it is a different from most games on the market. Will it sell well on Xbox? Doubt it especially late ports, but hey you never know.

scydrex

Yeah... Xbox gamers mostly like third person shooter and FPS... Gears, Halo, etc. So i don't know if Xbox fans or gamers will like Yakuza.

Last edited:
This does not seem to have hampered the PS4 releases?
I've been begging for PC ports since forever and I have Y0 already paid for on Steam, but the lack of English vo really does bother me. I know some people prefer the Japanese authenticity but I'd honestly prefer a bad English dub over the best Japanese original recording any time. I don't like to read subtitles. Really hoping modders can get the PS2's dubbed audio into the PC versions. I'll still buy, play, and enjoy the whole series without English audio but it is my preference.

Pallas

Gold Member
Which is a fair response, but this has been the case since 2008 with Yakuza 2 after the embarrassing Yakuza 1 dub. 'Alright then, step the fuck up. It's time to die!'

The Yakuza franchise has built a strong fan base on PlayStation and it's been an acquired taste for ten years. I've been playing Yakuza since the very beginning and I love the Japanese dub. However, different consoles have different audiences and I don't know a single XBOX owner who plays anything like this. I work for a company that sells second hand goods and my colleagues are all XBOX owners, as it has quite a big following here in the UK - and they all play the same games. Forza, Fifa, Call of Duty, MineCraft and that's about it. The majority of our customers play western games only.

I look at my pre-owned section of games and there is such a variety of PlayStation games that I would struggle to properly explain. We have Yakuza for example, Valkyria Chronicles, to Horizon, to God of War, to VR games, to Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, InFamous, Gran Turismo, DriveClub, Killzone etc. We have a wide range of titles for PlayStation in stock, constantly. My XBOX section can be condensed to first person shooters and sports games. I still haven't had a single copy of Tekken 7 on XBOX One. I haven't seen anything like Yakuza on XBOX and honestly I think it would really struggle to find an audience there.

It would be like the Wii-U port. The Japanese XBOX One fan base is almost non-existent. I've been to Japan and explored Tokyo, from Akibahara, to Shinjuku, Roppongi, Shibuya, Chiyoda etc. And I can say with complete certainty that XBOX is almost non-existent. It's very much 50/50 PlayStation and Nintendo. So for SEGA to pump money into porting the game to XBOX for an extremely small fan base in Japan... it just wouldn't make money if it failed in the west, which sadly, I think it would.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, as a current Xbox one X owner who had the pleasure of playing and owning the first two Yakuza games on the PS2, they were a joy to play and would without a doubt purchase them on the X1.

I think they will do well, after all Nier Automata seems to be having success on the Xbox, I don’t see why another Japanese game couldnt that has been ported late to the Xbox. It flopped miserably on the WiiU, never got localized either on the system as far as I know. I don’t think it’s fair to assume it’ll happen on the 1X, which would get localized since the console is practically dead in Japan.

In fact I wouldn’t be surprise if it didn’t release in Japan if they decide to port it to the Xbox. If it happens, I think it should be given a chance. The devs seems to think it might be worth it.

Last edited:

Shifty

If it has a screen and buttons then it is the 'right platform'.

Sounds more like they got burned by Wii U and are cautious to go the Nintendo route again.

Dunki

I don't think that was the next main character though.I think there was some confusion about it but if i remember correctly they later said he would be the main character for some mobile/online Yakuza game. And thank God because he looks terrible to be honest.
No the said that Ichiban is the new protagonist for the online game and the next Yakuza one. Before XBO I just hope it also sells on the PC I would love to get the next Yakuza one on the same day as the console one on PC. Another reason why I will buy 0 and Kiwami on Steam.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
No the said that Ichiban is the new protagonist for the online game and the next Yakuza one. Before XBO I just hope it also sells on the PC I would love to get the next Yakuza one on the same day as the console one on PC. Another reason why I will buy 0 and Kiwami on Steam.
Well if that's the case and that Ichiban guy will be the next main character i guess that will be the end of the series for me.

More people playing Yakuza can only be a good thing.

Given the series is arriving on PC, it doesn't seem unreasonable to imagine it extending onto the Xbox platform too.

cireza

Banned
Imo, it's just saving on time and resource. They'll need lower poly models for the Switch. Cross-platform port to XBone doesn't require as much work compared to downporting to the Switch.
This is definitely true.

Xbox gamers statistically rarely support Japanese games.
What does this even mean ? Do you have some sources ? Japanese games on Xbox never turn out a profit ? Why was Nier Automata released then ? Why did FF XV get so much coverage ? Why are so many Japanese games coming to the console ?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Why? You know nothing about this guy. How can you already say no.
I don't like his character design AT ALL! That includes his smartass attitude as well. He looks as someone who tries really hard to look cool and edgy. To be honest at first i thought he was some kind of a joke from Nagoshi. I just can't believe how off he looks compared to any other character that appeared in the series. Even secondary ones.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yakuza might be the one Japanese IP that sells better on Xbox than Switch.

In any case, Phil Spencer will need to break out his checkbook for more Japanese games like this anyway.
This isn't fair though. The Wii U is dead and sold less than the Xbox One lol.

Killer751

Banned
A Japanese game selling more on Xbox than Nintendo?

Lol.

This is downright damage control. Companies do NOT like admitting that Sony is preventing titles for coming out on Nintendo Switch, even when it makes perfect sense to do so. (DQXI being a particularly great example)

BANGS

Banned
A Japanese game selling more on Xbox than Nintendo?

Lol.

This is downright damage control. Companies do NOT like admitting that Sony is preventing titles for coming out on Nintendo Switch, even when it makes perfect sense to do so. (DQXI being a particularly great example)
This is just misinformation dude... please...

Pallas

Gold Member
They could port the older games to the Switch but from what I’ve read and looked up, the newer Yakuza games run on a unique engine that even gives the PS4 optimization issues, I highly doubt without a major downgrade it couldn’t work on the Switch but the older games? Seems they think the audiences on the switch wouldn’t buy them.

So does the label "Playstation console exclusive" on the top right not mean anything anymore? Or perhaps they're talking about future Yakuza games? I mean the label is on Kiwami 1, Y6 and potentially Y0.

Killer751

Banned
They could port the older games to the Switch but from what I’ve read and looked up, the newer Yakuza games run on a unique engine that even gives the PS4 optimization issues, I highly doubt without a major downgrade it couldn’t work on the Switch but the older games? Seems they think the audiences on the switch wouldn’t buy them.

Because the Switch audience is known for not buying ports of old games.

Pallas

Gold Member
So does the label "Playstation console exclusive" on the top right not mean anything anymore? Or perhaps they're talking about future Yakuza games? I mean the label is on Kiwami 1, Y6 and potentially Y0.

I think the recent copies of 0 have it removed.

cireza

Banned
Probably because Square has the money? I mean I don't see tons of lower budget games like Oneechanbara on the xbox one.
Yeah but that's ok, because we don't need these. However, I don't see many big Japanese games skipping the console, so they must sell enough.

Top Bottom