• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yanukovych invited Putin and the Russian Army to suppress protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viktor Yanukovych is a former president of Ukraine who was in office from February 2010 to February 2014. During the Euromaidan protests (November 2013 - February 2014), which demanded stronger integration of Ukraine within the European Union, Yanukovych responded with violence and laws restricting freedom of speech and assembly. Next to that he was also involved in scandals of police abuse, vote rigging and corruption.

In February 2014 he was voted out of office by the Ukrainian Parliament and he went into exile in Russia.

The following letter was written days before he fled to Russia.

Original source: http://censor.net.ua/news/423877/pi..._tsenzornet_publikuet_istoricheskiyi_dokument

A Statement by the President of Ukraine

As the lawfully elected President of Ukraine, I state that:
The events on the Maidan, the unlawful coup in Kiev, have brought Ukraine to the brink of civil war. The country is in chaos and anarchy; the lives, safety and rights of people, especially in the south-east and in Crimea, are under threat. Due to the influence of the Western countries there is terror and violence, people are being persecuted for their political beliefs and language.
With this in mind, I adress the President of Russia V.V. Putin to use the Russian Armed Forces to restore law and order, peace, stability and protection of the Ukrainian population.

01-03-2014 Signed V.F. Yanukovych

Sounds like the very definition of high treason to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom