• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yard work fucking sucks

Fools idol

Banned
Man oh man has my day sucked. I had the task to remove a tree from the yard... I figured what the hell, I will just buy a saw and do it myself. How hard can it be?

Hard. Harder than everything I think I have ever done. First of all, I now understand why Tree surgeons exist and why they are fucking expensive. It took me damn near 14 hours before I gave in to defeat and downed (broken) tools.

When I finally got the motherfucker to fall, it fell the wrong damn way and nearly killed my stupid ass. Next, I realized the roots wouldn't come up when the tree fell, so I now have a horrible stump sticking up out of the ground and cant dig far down enough to get to the damn roots without destroying my spade. Not only that, the tree itself is heavy as fuck and now all my tools are blunted, I need to figure out how I break it up without burning another day. Burning, now that's an idea.

I should have just paid the £750 to have it done for me and not been a stubborn motherfucker. Pretty sure I have fractured my index finger as well trying to catch and push the falling tree the way I wanted it to fall.

Troll me gaf. I deserve it today.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's only fun in VR
the-simpsons-bart.gif

Had to unfortunately cut two of them due to the heavy winds this year. If you're not a professional, you cut the the tree from top to bottom, piece by piece.

Forget about digging out the stump without professional tools. Just trim it down with your chainsaw to the same level of the soil and make some deep V-shaped cuts. Dig out the soil or make a trench around the roots and water it in order to clean the soil away. Then try to separate the roots from the stump with your saw.

It might take a while, but if you want to avoid digging it out, the stump will start decomposing away.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’ve never cared about how the outside of any property I’ve lived at looked. Inside, sure. Just keep your grass cut, bushes trimmed and enjoy life.

GloveSlap

I have this massive tree right up against my house that drops crap all over my car that i really want of get rid of. Dreading paying the money or trying to remove it without damaging the roof.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yea man, my brother in law is in tree removal service. I watched him and his crew go to work on a tree in my old yard once. It made me even happier to work with computers for a living.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Garden. It's called a bloody garden. A yard is a unit of measurement!

Edit. Forgot to add that yes, it does suck.

Last edited:
Yard work is awesome, yard age knows this I'm sure. I would never cut down a large tree, would call someone. Who are you Rick Ross. Trimmed the tree outside up before winter hit, I could cut it down I think but it gives good shade, A woodpecker loves. And way get out, do some yard work, i think women love it. They love to see a guy working the yard. Love using my tools. Great exercise.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I absolutely loathe raking. Too many weekends growing up filling 20+ yard bags up with leaves every weekend in the fall. Mowing the lawn is strangely relaxing though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I would never cut the tree but 750 pounds is insane. i think i paid $250 each to remove my trees.

Last year, I had to load up and move $500 worth of mulch all around my house in a wheelbarrow. took me 4 days. Around 10 hours total. Never again.

DoomGyver

Just call tree service and tell them that you have a tree down in your yard. Get a quote for cleanup and disposal. Have them bring out a stump grinder to remove what’s left. Sell the saw on the classifieds. Just be glad you didn’t kill someone or wreck a house.

BigBooper

Oh yea, especially if it's a big tree and you have to sharpen the chain a lot. I cut down five trees a couple of years ago and it was a good couple weeks of work in the evenings.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL. What a coincidental thread. For years my neighbour and I have been talking about cutting some trees down on our property lines as they are getting really big and bushy.

We can either split a $1000 fee or get on some ladders and try chainsawing it down bit by bit.

I'll split the fee.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You should buy a home. The equity is worth it.
No doubt.

Mowing the lawn, bagging leaves in fall, shoveling snow, and doing some landscaping to help prevent weeds IMO is totally worth gaining $500,000+ in home equity. Even when I lived in a condo way back it went up in value a couple hundred grand when I sold it.

Easiest money made ever.

Considering how much homes go every year the past 20 years, you technically don't even have to do anything. You could hire people to mow your lawns and shovel your snow at $50/pop and that would eat into the equity gains like 0.1%.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I own 2 homes and another family pays me to live in one. I bought it for 110k three years ago. Put in 30k and could sell for 200k tomorrow if I wanted to. But I like the rental income and the tax breaks owning a rental brings.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I own 2 homes and another family pays me to live in one. I bought it for 110k three years ago. Put in 30k and could sell for 200k tomorrow if I wanted to. But I like the rental income and the tax breaks owning a rental brings.
Lots of people I know are landlords. Me included later this year when my unit is finally built (have been in the past). It's a tough gig if you get a deadbeat renter, but if they are legit it's smooth sailing. It's taken over 4 years to be built, but the going value is it's up about 60%. I might even dump it day one. Bought it for $400k, it's worth close to $700k.

Being a landlord is an interesting thing because some people I know hold forever. Either give it to their kids later in life or sell it when they die kind of thing.

For others like me, I hold onto them for a bit, dump it for profit and buy another one. I only buy pre-built units built from the ground up so I got to wait 3+ years for it to be built. And then I get ownership.

So for that part, some people are like me to buy grassroots style, while some buy an existing home already up and running.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yard work is awesome. Anything outside is awesome. Wtf is wrong with you people?
It’s a free workout. Outside in the fresh air. Feel of soil between your fingers. It helps to calm my head at times. Plus trust me it makes you feel proud. Had to dig up a fuck ton of bamboo roots. It was back breaking but I felt proud I done it. I’m not the best at DIY but gardening and digging up tons of soil or roots or what not. Yeah I can do that. Yeah I will complain at the time. But deep down I feel like I’m doing something. Also cutting down some tree branches or trunk. I will give it a go.

Though I do hate weeding. But got to be done.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I would recommend hiring an expertfor tree removal. It's not your typical yardwork and with a big tree, it's easy to damage your property or injure someone. Experts also have their own insurance. This is not a place I would save money.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I have this massive tree right up against my house that drops crap all over my car that i really want of get rid of. Dreading paying the money or trying to remove it without damaging the roof.
You should get OP to do it, atleast you can watch him struggle for 14 hours!

Buggy Loop

Even small tree stumps are fucking hardcore to pull out lol. Anything beyond “shit, I’ll waste my whole weekend on it” or “I could die” should be done by professionals.

Otherwise I love yard work. It’s very rewarding when everything is neat and you can chill in a hammock with a beer afterwards.

You should buy a home. The equity is worth it.
Made 40k after living in a house for 2 years, no renovation.

Easy money.. but now of course I need to buy a home which I'm pretty much banking on a housing market decline... hopefully the opposite doesn't happen but man I didn't like that house anyway lol.

trickybiff

Helped my brother remove a stump from his yard once. I think it ended up being a 5 hour project trying to chop up all those deep roots. But I'd rather that than pay 750 pounds.

Yardwork can be very relaxing, decent source of exercise, and gives me a source of pride when my yard is looking nice and clean.

Fools idol

Banned
Update -- the tree and stump is gone.

I shit you not, a couple of travellers with a van passed me by this morning and offered to do the job for £100 and take all the wood. They said they had a digger and low and behold, a guy with a digger showed up within 30 mins and they dug out the lot within an hour, chopped all the wood for fire stock and loaded it all into their transit van. Epic.

Gypsy labour ftw!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yard work is all about making Home Depot runs when you don’t have the right tools because good yards matters and it requires effort.

Top Bottom