• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasumi Matsuno joins Level 5, smaller scale games for all ages [Updated again]

miladesn said:
Matsuno said that he has a great impression of the Layton and Inazuma Eleven series. His nieces and nephews and his friends' kids won't play his games. Instead, when he asks them what they're playing, they will always respond Inazuma Eleven. Matsuno wants to learn from Level-5 and Hino's sense and ideas.
-_-
One illustration shows a helmeted knight holding a large shield. There's also an illustration showing what looks like units -- a unit with a rapier, a unit with an axe, a unit that looks like a sorcerer, and a unit that looks like an archer.
:D
Hino said that he expects the game to be something that will be enjoyed not just by Matsuno's fans, but by Matsuno's nieces and nephews, and by kids. Matsuno said that he's making the game with the hope that it will be played by children.
:|

LProtag

I'd really love for Level-5 to grow more as a company. Especially one that localizes games themselves. I really want to see the whole Inazuma Eleven series come to the US, though I think that won't happen due to the DS being phased out... Also that Gundam RPG, whatever it is, I want to play it. I'm going to want to play the games that Matsuno makes as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
Hahahahahahahaha. Your attempt to troll me has failed, good sir!

a) There's an anime revivial of Evangelion going on right now, which is why you're noticing more games. They're still making the movies, won't be finished for years.

b) I don't give a shit about Evangelion games, so a bad one won't mean shit to me, they're ALL crap. Except maybe the upcoming Grasshopper one. That one could be rad.

Hey, maybe that series will have a decent work to it name if Grasshopper gets on it. To think, the first non crap NGE product...i never thought this day possible!

>.>

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
vareon said:
And why is the "-_-" ?I don't think it's really that meh if Matsuno simply wants more younger people to enjoy his creation.

Matusno's style doesnt fit that age group. The last time he did that, it gave us the tragedy known as Tactics Advance.

vareon said:
And why is the "-_-" ?I don't think it's really that meh if Matsuno simply wants more younger people to enjoy his creation.
Well, for one he seems to think highly of the Layton series, which is alarming on a multitude of levels. It's one thing to design something to appeal to a general audience, but it sounds like he wants to specifically target kids for some inane reason.

ninj4junpei said:
Well, for one he seems to think highly of the Layton series, which is alarming on a multitude of levels. It's one thing to design something to appeal to a general audience, but it sounds like he wants to specifically target kids for some inane reason.

What's wrong with Layton?

GhaleonQ

Let me be clear: I genuinely care about video game canon. I will give you the genealogy of Mister Driller's characters right now. That said, we should shut down nerd access to Twitter.

HPF_LD J A M
@YasumiMatsuno Forgive me if this seems rude, but do you think that you will possibly return to crafting the grand world of Ivalice one day?
27 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply »
YasumiMatsuno 松野 泰己
@ @HPF_LD sorry. I overlooked your reply. VS and FFT is not the same place. but it's my thought and may be different from the publisher.
27 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply »
Zodiak_Brave Ben Zack
@ @YasumiMatsuno So,I'm now seriously wondering if he lied or if you changed your mind because Ivalice is no more like you wanted it to be.thx
22 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply in reply to ↑
@YasumiMatsuno
松野 泰己 @Zodiak_Brave T and 12 are the same world. but VS is not. It was my original plan that I wanted to say. and it's different from advertising.
19 hours ago via Echofon
Favorite Retweet Reply
replies ↓
»
Zodiak_Brave Ben Zack
@ @YasumiMatsuno A French journalist in Japan sent me this http://tinyurl.com/663e7l8 in 2006 saying you drew this. So he was not true..
17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply »
YasumiMatsuno 松野 泰己
@ @Zodiak_Brave My English skills are still not highly developed. sorry, it's not conveyed that I want to say.
16 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply »
Zodiak_Brave Ben Zack
@ @YasumiMatsuno No problem. I hope you'll create again a world as rich, interesting & subtle as YOUR Ivalice was. Thanks.

*head in hands* This is what you want to ask him, The Internet? At least the other guy's asking about contemporaneous The War Of The Lions games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
vareon said:
Have you ever been disappointed when major developers like Brian Reynolds, Soren Johnson, Tom Hall, and Louis Castle go to make Facebook games?

Terrell

And here I was hoping that he would end up in his own studio or something like that.
My scenario for a post-Square Matsuno was that The Gooch would scoop him up to be additional big-name production talent at Mistwalker.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
I think it pretty much confirms that it is a handheld game.
Yeah, combined with "compact game" and a less than two year, from scratch development cycle, it's almost assuredly a handheld game.

This news makes me very pleased. After you get your kids playing your games Matsuno please turn your attention to working with the White Knight Chronicles team. Dark Cloud 3 would be oh so nice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
reptilescorpio said:
This news makes me very pleased. After you get your kids playing your games Matsuno please turn your attention to working with the White Knight Chronicles team. Dark Cloud 3 would be oh so nice.
Matsuno has been pretty clear that he doesn't have interest in working on larger titles anymore.

Busaiku

Nirolak said:
Yeah, combined with "compact game" and a less than two year, from scratch development cycle, it's almost assuredly a handheld game.
Does Level 5 have any non-handheld games planned besides Ni no Kuni?

Soulhouf

The more I read the more I'm worried. Does Matsuno really need to learn anything from Level-5?
Especially going into this direction. It's not Matsuno style... :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Busaiku said:
Does Level 5 have any non-handheld games planned besides Ni no Kuni?
None that we know of.

In fact, now that The Little Battlers just came out, I think everything else announced at this point is for 3DS.

Well, technically we don't know the platform for Gundam, and those tend to be PlayStation titles, but since it's a kids game this time, 3DS might make more sense.

Edit:

Inazuma Eleven Strikers come out on July 16th for the Wii.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regulus Tera said:
THE KING IS BACK

Yes I like kids' games, what's wrong with them?
Is this rhetorical or did you actually want us to explain why some people prefer games not made for kids.

Sotha Sil

Regulus Tera said:
That was the best part of that game though.

Maybe. I must have played that shitfest of a game for more than 50 hours, but it's all a blur now.

I shall pour one out for duckroll and broken dreams tonight.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
PumpkinPie said:
WTF is this shit about Level 5 making bad games? Has there actually been one yet?
Don't be daft. Dark Cloud? Rogue Galaxy? White Knight Chronicles? You'd have to pay me to play through them.

HK-47 said:
Matusno's style doesnt fit that age group. The last time he did that, it gave us the tragedy known as Tactics Advance.
Except FFTA was a good game for its hardware, and its successor took everything that was good about its older brother and churned out an even better gameplay experience.

duckroll said:
I think it pretty much confirms that it is a handheld game.
Huzzah! Handheld defence force wins everything.

Sotha Sil said:
Maybe. I must have played that shitfest of a game for more than 50 hours, but it's all a blur now.
Something is clearly wrong with you. If I didn't like a game from first impressions, I wouldn't spend 50 hours plodding through it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
speedpop said:
Except FFTA was a good game for its hardware, and its successor took everything that was good about its older brother and churned out an even better gameplay experience.
Matsuno wasn't involved with FFTA2 at all though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
speedpop said:
Did I say he was?
I'm saying we can't make an argument for how Matsuno would do on a kids game based on it.

For all we know, it was his lack of involvement that improved the game.

speedpop

It probably was his lack of involvement in FFTA2 that made the game much better. Could also be the reason why the story was absolute balls.

Matsuno should've joined Nintendo and thrown into the Intelligent Systems den.

Sotha Sil

speedpop said:
Something is clearly wrong with you. If I didn't like a game from first impressions, I wouldn't spend 50 hours plodding through it.

Oh, I liked it alright. It was an addictive TRPG. As a Matsuno game, though, it was clearly a disgrace.

Erethian

Whether I'll like the final product or not, it's good to see Matsuno getting back into game development and having the freedom to do what he wants.

After his prior experiences I can definitely see why developing a smaller, more tightly-focused game would appeal to him.

squall23

speedpop said:
Don't be daft. Dark Cloud? Rogue Galaxy? White Knight Chronicles? You'd have to pay me to play through them.
I've never played WKC (waiting for WKC2) but I sure as heck loved the Dark Cloud games and Rogue Galaxy. I guess I just like how traditionally Japanese their games are. I mean, I'm absolutely obsessed with Inazuma Eleven right now. When I played the first game in English, I kept asking myself "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I PLAY THIS EARLIER?!"

Now I'm annoyed because IE 2 and 3 will most likely never be translated because it's way too late in the DS's life. But that I blame on Level 5 and Nintendo for making that decision.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well, at least he's involved with something again, that's a start. What he is describing is pretty vague, gotta know/see more. I just hope it's not some dumbed-down, simplified SRPG without the cool story and insane depth just to appeal to kids. I really hope he's gonna try something completely new. And it would make sense from L-5's point of view to also put him on some larger project in the future, man delivered with TO/FFT/VS. Just make sure (for his own well-being) that it's not a project as big as FFXII :)

Myriadis

Amir0x said:
for kids and compact eh
not the type of Matsuno game I'd probably like
*saunters off solemnly*

Knowing his games,even if he would do a compact game for kids,he would add things that no one without a faq could know directly.Even FFTA had some stuff like this and it is surprisingly complex for a handheld game (and as we are speaking about it,I'm currently on my third playthrough of this game,100%'ing it.Love this game).

Amir0x

Banned
i think FFTA is the worst thing ever in history so yeah

i mean i'll keep an eye open but hey if it's not for me it's not for me

duckroll

For the record, FFTA is not really a Matsuno game. He had a hand in it, sure, but he didn't direct it, he didn't write it, and he didn't do the main game design on it. Matsuno has never actually made a game targeted at kids. Until he does, it is hard to imagine what it will be like.

Momo

Banned
speedpop said:
WKC I can see, but Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy? No way mate, those were good games.

speedpop

I hope he makes nothing but children-inspired puzzle games for handhelds forever.

Momo said:
WKC I can see, but Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy? No way mate, those were good games.
Maybe for an RPG-starved fanatic.

Anteater

Momo said:

Were the Dark cloud games really that good? I played the first dark cloud a bit and didn't really enjoy it all that much, there seems to be a lot of praise for Dark Cloud 2 on gaf, but I've never tried it.

Top Bottom