• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YEAH! TAKE THAT PENDEJO!

The Fartist

Gold Member
Who Cares Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly
Oh sorry, I thought you were in disbelief that he wasn't Latino, I don't care either, just thought it was interesting. Like when Brits play American southerners in movies, I love that shit. šŸ˜‚

Nickolaidas

Is there any other stereotype more absurd and worst than the Mexican stereotype in videogames?

Seriously, every other 4 characters I swear it's like they have the NEED to fit in the ABSOLUTE TYPICAL U.S.' MEXICAN STEREOTYPED GUY. So it's gonna be your brown skin mustached Sanchez and your blacky curly girl Rodriguez in there.

But the worst part is how every single one of them, no matter how 'samey' or different they might look, you know, ohhh you know for sureee, they'll be screaming around Spanish words every 3 or 4 English words in all of their lines.

Can't they just, you know, portray them like normal persons? Or if they have any characterization that makes them differentiable. couldn't it be other than them screaming bad Mexican words in between absolutely perfect spoken English lines?

So yeah, cabron, what do you think of this pendejos? Do you find any other puto stereotype to be worst than the MEXICO SENORES?

If there is, which one?
Wait till you read about Marvel's opinion on what a black Thor should be like.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Virtually everyone Iā€™ve heard from who speaks Spanish and played RE4 say itā€™s not. Apparently the ā€œSpanishā€ villagers are speaking in a Mexican dialect. Iā€™ve heard there were a few other errors as well.

It was made by a bunch of Japanese people. I give them an A for effort.

Doom85

It was made by a bunch of Japanese people. I give them an A for effort.

Iā€™m just pointing out an error, not saying it ruins the game or anything.

Also, regardless, if they were placing the story in Spain, then anyone in the world would think that hiring people from Spain as opposed to Mexico would be common sense to everyone. The concept of dialects, accents, etc. is worldwide, I mean you wouldnā€™t hire someone with a thick accent from Osaka to voice someone from Shinjiku.

And donā€™t underestimate the Japanese in terms of learning about different cultures amd countries and getting details right. The anime Eden of the East for example was praised for its first episode portraying Washington D.C. so accurately.

Banned
d donā€™t underestimate the Japanese in terms of learning about different cultures amd countries and getting details right. The anime Eden of the East for example was praised for its first episode portraying Washington D.C. so accurately.

Monster is also a great anime with a lot of research done to get the details correctly

kiphalfton

Mexicans will get their day too. Just you wait. Devs have done such a good job by already putting a stop to marginalizing black people, LGBT people, and women. They are all now 100% accurately depicted in games.

Isa

I don't think its anything to get worked up over. Bothered sure. It definitely seems like its a Dora tactic to teach some Spanish to the gringos though. Funnily enough, working with a ton of latinos over the years, primarily Mexicans, there are moments when those who are less fluent in English use words they know in their native tongue to cover it, hoping or assuming others know of that which they speak. Fortunately I usually do, but sadly many here don't even try to understand them, or feign ignorance(usually bias). Its a shame because they genuinely are trying to learn and grow. I can also say I've encountered the same from the other angle. So many welcoming people in Mexico but a few act rudely during discourse, "what is he saying!?" etc and then my girlfriend would go off on them haha! I love her passion lol, so ladylike and then bam! Get her to go off and boy howdy look out.

I also laugh about it in reverse, well I mean I've been guilty of it but not by intent. I spend so much time conversing with my girl, her family and friends, coworkers, neighbors etc that when I finally get together for rare visits with my Scot/English family I throw in the odd Spanish word occasionally, almost like a mental tick. I realize it quickly and have to correct myself but it always makes me admire others when considering all the migrants who've started to learn another language, often with little to no education(my gf's family was too poor), and do so well picking up on subtle uses and slang or other lingo. Life is tough enough as it is, and despite some linguistic similarities and familiarity having to memorize and build up an additional vocabulary is not easy. My Uncle's wife is Ukrainian and speaks like 7-8 languages, its insane how smart she is.

I think like others mentioned its a way to quickly establish some details about a character, and also throw out a few "bad" words that can bypass the censors lol. I hear it all the time at work despite strict no swearing policies.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Iā€™m just pointing out an error, not saying it ruins the game or anything.

Also, regardless, if they were placing the story in Spain, then anyone in the world would think that hiring people from Spain as opposed to Mexico would be common sense to everyone. The concept of dialects, accents, etc. is worldwide, I mean you wouldnā€™t hire someone with a thick accent from Osaka to voice someone from Shinjiku.

And donā€™t underestimate the Japanese in terms of learning about different cultures amd countries and getting details right. The anime Eden of the East for example was praised for its first episode portraying Washington D.C. so accurately.

I get it, but I mean, if I'm going to watch something that is going to give me a spot-on portrayal of what DC is like, I'm going to find something made by someone from the area. Research is great and, man, the Japanese are really good at that, but it's hard to portray the real feeling, the soul, of a place without having lived there or grown up in the culture of the area.

I grew up in Japan, so I probably have a different perspective on what makes something Japanese. For example, Ghost of Tsushima felt like an amazingly researched portrayal of Japan from a bunch of people not from the Japan. Crazy it sounds, a game like Nioh feels more Japanese in is depiction of Shinto, Japanese culture, etc.

I guess my point is, even if they would have got that detail in RE4 right, it still wouldn't have ended up being the best portrayal of Spain or Spanish people. There would have been a ton of other stuff to criticize, I'm sure. So, yeah, I give them an A for effort, and a huge platinum star for creating one of the best games ever made. :messenger_winking_tongue:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is there any other stereotype more absurd and worst than the Mexican stereotype in videogames?

Seriously, every other 4 characters I swear it's like they have the NEED to fit in the ABSOLUTE TYPICAL U.S.' MEXICAN STEREOTYPED GUY. So it's gonna be your brown skin mustached Sanchez and your blacky curly girl Rodriguez in there.

But the worst part is how every single one of them, no matter how 'samey' or different they might look, you know, ohhh you know for sureee, they'll be screaming around Spanish words every 3 or 4 English words in all of their lines.

Can't they just, you know, portray them like normal persons? Or if they have any characterization that makes them differentiable. couldn't it be other than them screaming bad Mexican words in between absolutely perfect spoken English lines?

So yeah, cabron, what do you think of this pendejos? Do you find any other puto stereotype to be worst than the MEXICO SENORES?

If there is, which one?
That's because most games are written by Whites or Asians. And Asian studios dont usually make games with Latinos. So what you got are American game studios with probably 90% White people trying to make minority characters according to their viewpoint what they are like.

Latinos, Russians and Middle Easterns are easily the most stereotyped in gaming.

Latinos: Hardly any in gaming to begin with despite there being tons of Latin folks in the US, and also South America and Spain. Typical role is low brow street dude and drug thug. Most seem like they didn't graduate high school

Russians: Involved in some Cold War plot like it's a Cuban Missile Crisis. Same plot spans turn based 1992 PC strategy games to modern day FPS. Never good guys. Always itching to launch missiles or dispatch tanks. Always butt heads with US and UK. Russia always loses at the end

Middle Eastern: Not so much global domination like Russia, but terrorist plots. Never good guys. Always itching for bombs and hostage situations. US and UK got to clean house again as global protectors.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As a fellow spaniard I didn't get upset at all with how RE4 shat on the bed with the ganado voice acting. In fact, we had of fair share of laughs thanks to it.

And it's not the first time Capcom fucks up something related to Spain. Here's Vega from Street Fighter II, he's from Spain and he's wearing the lower half of a matador (bull fighter) suit.

super-street-fighter-2-vega.jpg

Thing is, or my guess at least, is that they wanted to give him the colors of the spanish flag, which is red and yellow, but instead they gave him the colors of the spanish republic flag (currently unofficial flag that was used during the 30's), which is red, yellow and purple.
Could be a coincidence... but that's not all! For the flag used in the player selection screen, they went with the flag used during Franco's dictatorship (1939-1975), which is basically the current flag but with the added symbology of a black bird.

memoria_historica-franquismo-videojuegos_272733146_58771235_1706x960.jpg

Mine as well.
When the first villager Leon meets tells him: "Que carajo estas haciendo aquĆ­? LĆ”rgate, cabrĆ³n!". That's the only time it sounds (at least to me) like actual Spanish from Spain.
Everything else sounds like Mexican Spanish.
That could be said by a spanish person yeah, but the acccent he uses when speaking still sounds way more from Mexico than Spain. We don't use "carajo" that much either, or well at least not in my circles.

"ĀæQuĆ© coƱo estĆ”s haciendo aquĆ­? Ā”Largo de aquĆ­, cabrĆ³n!". Now that sounds 100% spanish.

Top Bottom