• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes another I/O thread but not about the SSD: Next Gen Consoles will have amazing 2 way communication with outside devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

Mod edit: At best this was speculative, at worst plain misinformation. Provide a table of sources and features specific to each point you claim please.

USB ports with over a GB/s , Wifi 6 (Also over a GB/s) , Bluetooth LE

VR that would only need one cable if it use USB-C , Controllers with no noticeable lag (Microsoft is really proud of this ) , HD Cameras , higher quality wireless audio & mic input , multi-player games where the other players use their phones & tablets to interact with the player with the controller in real time (yes I know you can do that now but it will most likely be a lot better) , Then there is the potential for devices that hook up to the console & take advantage of the fast I/O. .

Last edited by a moderator:

Pagusas

Elden Member

VR that would only need one cable if it use USB-C , Controllers with no noticeable lag (Microsoft is really proud of this ) , HD Cameras , higher quality wireless audio & mic input , multi-player games where the other players use their phones & tablets to interact with the player with the controller in real time (yes I know you can do that now but it will most likely be a lot better) , Then there is the potential for devices that hook up to the console & take advantage of the fast I/O. .

I think you need to proof and rewrite your post.

Reactions: MrS

MHubert

What couldn't you find?

Any information whether or not next gen consoles are confirmed to have Wifi 6 (ax) and Bluetooth LE. To me, those features are kind of important. So, are you able to confirm this or not?

Last edited:
I dont see USB-C anywhere on Xbox Series X. Hopefully PS5 goes all in with USB4 ports.

And we can only assume we are getting higher spec wifi and bluetooth specs. Particularly with PS5. Since remoteplay is a focus with Sony. I would upgrade to PS5 just for the SSD and vastly improved remoteplay.

onQ123

I dont see USB-C anywhere on Xbox Series X. Hopefully PS5 goes all in with USB4 ports.

And we can only assume we are getting higher spec wifi and bluetooth specs. Particularly with PS5. Since remoteplay is a focus with Sony. I would upgrade to PS5 just for the SSD and vastly improved remoteplay.

For Xbox Series X they only have USB-C on the controller but USB A 3.2 can still transfer over 1GB/s depending on which version they will be using

For Xbox Series X they only have USB-C on the controller but USB A 3.2 can still transfer over 1GB/s depending on which version they will be using
That’s horrible. With USB-C (40GB/s USB4 or Thunderbolt3) you have many possibilities. Plug any external 7GB/s+ SSD of any size. VR headset can be supplied video, power, and data with one cable. Possibly daisy-chain two consoles. Transfer 4K video quickly. Seeing that theres one USB-C port on PS5. There definitely hope. Every other port needs to die.

onQ123

That’s horrible. With USB-C (40GB/s USB4 or Thunderbolt3) you have many possibilities. Plug any external 7GB/s+ SSD of any size. VR headset can be supplied video, power, and data with one cable. Possibly daisy-chain two consoles. Transfer 4K video quickly. Seeing that theres one USB-C port on PS5. There definitely hope. Every other port needs to die.

USB4 isn't going to be 40GB/s it's 40gbps which = 5GB/s

Banned

you can't improve their remote play through new hardware.
their codec/streaming tech is simply dogshit.

even connected through lan cables the additional lag is often above 100ms, which is laughable to say the least.
that has nothing to do with the hardware at all when other remote play variants work vastly better, even Microsoft's crudely patched-in one (that sadly only works on PC currently) and especially Steam RemotePlay, both of which are on average below 50ms even over wifi.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Maybe do a google search before you post?
A USB 3.0 has a max bandwidth of 5Gbps. (gigabits) That's 0,625GB (giga byte)

USB 3.0

Bryank75

Banned
PS4 controllers always had very little input lag. They are actually incredibly fast compared to everything else and that is on bluetooth. Next gen bringing more 60fps games should make that feel even better.

There's still PS5 stuff we don't know about. PSVR2 must be in the works and that must mean some interesting on the wireless communication front.

ZywyPL

Banned
Someone has a GB/s fetish here... Will anything change tho? BT won't be used for anything new that controllers and headsets, USB won't be used for anything new than charging the controller or connecting external drives, which again, the next-gen games will have to use internal (PS5) or expansion (XBX) drives from what I understand, so the external drives will only serve for PS4/XB1 titles that won't need more than ~100MB/s. And as for Wifi, I think at least Wifi 5 (AC) is a given, which will be very helpful for guys like me with 1Gb/s optic fibre of course, but still, as far as PS5 goes it won't change much if PSN continues to be such garbage with awfully slow bandwidth.

onQ123

Someone has a GB/s fetish here... Will anything change tho? BT won't be used for anything new that controllers and headsets, USB won't be used for anything new than charging the controller or connecting external drives, which again, the next-gen games will have to use internal (PS5) or expansion (XBX) drives from what I understand, so the external drives will only serve for PS4/XB1 titles that won't need more than ~100MB/s. And as for Wifi, I think at least Wifi 5 (AC) is a given, which will be very helpful for guys like me with 1Gb/s optic fibre of course, but still, as far as PS5 goes it won't change much if PSN continues to be such garbage with awfully slow bandwidth.

PS5 has USB-C which can double as a DisplayPort so a VR headset should be able to be connected with only the USB-C port , Also you can hook up more than 1 TV/ monitors , The PS5 camera can also be high speed while in HD .

ZywyPL

Banned
PS5 has USB-C which can double as a DisplayPort so a VR headset should be able to be connected with only the USB-C port , Also you can hook up more than 1 TV/ monitors , The PS5 camera can also be high speed while in HD .

That was the promise of USB-C when it was introduced, but years pass and the port barely serves for anything other than transferring data. If it was for me we would get rid of all various ports and replace all of them with USB-C long time ago, but the market clearly doesn't go that way, we see new HDMI, DP, Ethernet etc. standards to carry out the specific work, while USB/Thunderbolt is what used hat it was used for decades. Maybe Sony will indeed use the port for PSVR2, but that's about it.

Xbox series x doesn't support Bluetooth, only the controller does for pc/phone connectivity and it has ac WiFi rather than ax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom