• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes PSN is down [May Take Day Or Two... Or 57]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
Mizzou Gaming said:
I think its pretty safe to say there are some serious internal design problems with the PlayStation Network. Perhaps some cost-saving shortcuts implemented years ago finally gave out. Its hard not to picture anything but a bunch of SONY employees running around in the barn where all this crap is housed trying to duct tape everything together.

Edit: I notice the internet browser still works but for whatever reason NeoGAF just shows up as an entire page full of letters and numbers.

I have a feeling this outage is due to Sony implementing additional security measures on the back end that generated some logic error. It could even be that such measures, as a result of retrieving nitpicky data from every registered PSN account, overloaded the servers and caused the outage. This is the only reason I can think of that would cause the issue to occur on all three SCE territories.

Mooreberg

They could perhaps be preparing an all out media blitz to announce the PlayStation Espresso!

These jokes are only going to get worse, Sony. Hurry up!

^ they are probably running simulation drills, they probably split their IT teams to two, got the best hackers to tear apart the PSN from the one team and they got the other team to fix it...(trying to fix it)

I kinda see it as some sort of military war simulation in case of a terrorist attack or something...of course it's probably far from the truth, but hey! I can have some imagination, no?

I'm definitely leaning towards an unexpected incident, since for Sony's bottom line's sake, doing regular maintenance right before or during Long Holiday weekend and a week with release of 3 huge titles doesn't make much sense, if you're expecting the minimum amount of bitchin from your customers.

I bet anyone here this whole thing has a lot to do with Portal 2 and Steam online PC crossover feature. Clearly they weren't fully prepared for this and now they are probably facing some serious connection issues with Steam etc.

Just try to name me another Playstation 3 title that has done a cross platform Steam gaming online before.

CatPee

I'm thinking that the Amazong Web Services crash had something to do with it. On Neoseeker, someone did confirm that us.playstation.com uses some AWS-hosted stuff, so it's not hard to imagine that an AWS crash could bring PSN down as well.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
DailyVacation said:
I have a feeling this outage is due to Sony implementing additional security measures on the back end that generated some logic error. It could even be that such measures, as a result of retrieving nitpicky data from every registered PSN account, overloaded the servers and caused the outage. This is the only reason I can think of that would cause the issue to occur on all three SCE territories.

Yeah, the whole callback thing and running remote code could have gone tits up.

Still odd for all regions to go down though, as they don't usually update all at once. I think at some point Sony decided to not let anyone log-in, and just flicked the panic button that brings up that generic error message instead.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wario64 said:
If they don't fix it by tomorrow, does that mean we'll have to wait till Monday?

On something this important, their engineers better be pulling overtime.

I'm going to be thinking hard about my future console platforms(If I even go with one) now that that we're getting the bits of a new generation. Sony has been way too silent with so many things regarding the PS3 and PSN, that it's hard for me to "trust" them. Sure Nintendo doesn't even have an online system and I will never pay to play online with Microsoft or anyone else's services, but it seems that out of all three, Microsoft is the only one that gets the community angle most of the time.

I didn't buy Portal, MK9 or any horrific Capcom DRM games, etc. But I can see how annoying that would be for people who just want to "play and can't after spending all that money. Seems to me anyways that Sony has lost its way with what they're doing and PSN/the community.

2012 onwards should be fun.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
DECK'ARD said:
I wonder if PSN+ subscribers will be showered in old games and useless content after this?

They will be showered with silence, with Sony pretending that nothing had happened.

I wish they could be as vocal about mishaps as they are with the competition. :\

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
DailyVacation said:
They will be showered with silence, with Sony pretending that nothing had happened.

I wish they could be as vocal about mishaps as they are with the competition. :\

I'd expect a "I survived the PSN outage and all I got was this shitty t-shirt" for your Home avatar at the very least.

NeoUltima

So instead of playing MvC3 today I finally beat Far Cry 2 ... that game sucks.

Uggh I hope they fix this soon so I can stop playing crappy games in my backlog.

Solune

NeoUltima said:
So instead of playing MvC3 today I finally beat Far Cry 2 ... that game sucks.

Uggh I hope they fix this soon so I can stop playing crappy games in my backlog.
I'm waiting so I can get GAF matches for Arcana Heart 3. In the mean time lab time all day and maybe all weekend for marvel.

Fistwell said:
So still down eh?
thats-what-she-said.jpg

DECK'ARD said:
I wonder if PSN+ subscribers will be showered in old games and useless content after this?

you described the PS+ experience.. they constantly update the store with Minis and PS1 games and to me it's just not worth it.. out of 50 million PS3's worldwide how many bought a PS+ membership? new survey was sent out last week.. hopefully SONY listens to it

Norwegian Wood said:
This really sucks, is this what Sony wants to be remembered for? Being down during the Easter holidays, thats just rich.

Yeah i mean it hasnt happend to the otheres before?. It sucks and im annoyed by it but some people get there panties in a twist.

Norwegian Wood said:
This really sucks, is this what Sony wants to be remembered for? Being down during the Easter holidays, thats just rich.
Dammit Sony, take any other day but NOT Easter! Jesus is not pleased!

patsu

mercenar1e said:
you described the PS+ experience.. they constantly update the store with Minis and PS1 games and to me it's just not worth it.. out of 50 million PS3's worldwide how many bought a PS+ membership? new survey was sent out last week.. hopefully SONY listens to it

Not merely PS1 games and Minis. You get things like LBP Prehistoric Move DLC, KZ3 DLC, PSN games and trials. It's getting better now compared to launch time.

patsu said:
Not merely PS1 games and Minis. You get things like LBP Prehistoric Move DLC, KZ3 DLC, PSN games and trials. It's getting better now compared to launch time.

the trial is a great idea but so far they haven't posted up a game that i have not owned this also applies to the PSN games including next weeks updated so for me it's still worthless

DailyVacation

Neo Member
DECK'ARD said:
I'd expect a "I survived the PSN outage and all I got was this shitty t-shirt" for your Home avatar at the very least.

Actually, there's supposed to be a big Home patch today to apply the new Home game development platform... What if that's the cause of the outage? Haha!

patsu said:
Don't waste your breath patsu. Playstaion+ hate is completely irrational.

Majine said:
When was the latest official news, what, 15 hours ago? Not handling this publicly well enough.
I honestly don't think it matters at all. They are never going to say exactly what the server error was and it's not going to be fixed any faster than it is. Fix this shit

Adamm

Norwegian Wood said:
Yes, this will be what sony will be remeber for!

Forget everything that came before or after, being down for a few days over easter will be what people associate when they hear the word sony for ever more..

Adamm said:
Yes, this will be what sony will be remeber for!

Forget everything that came before or after, being down for a few days over easter will be what people associate when they hear the word sony for ever more..

Pretty sure everyone's gonna remember the few days 50 million PS3's were taken down all at once. Stuff like this really does stick to memory. It is no laughing matter.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Norwegian Wood said:

Atleast it should erase the leap year debacle.

*Edit* Beaten, again.

snap0212

IchigoSharingan said:
Pretty sure everyone's gonna remember the few days 50 million PS3's were taken down all at once. Stuff like this really does stick to memory. It is no laughing matter.
Time for Sony to get some free PSN Games ready...

IchigoSharingan said:
The only thing that makes this particular server failure stand out from any other is the unfortunate timing with Socom, Portal and MK coming out this week. It's only been a day or two, it's yet to reach any level of significance and certainly not a serious enough matter to tarnish a company's reputation in any way.

Adamm

IchigoSharingan said:
They werent taken down, they just cant go online...

And there is a difference between remebering that it happened & what "Sony will be remebered for" - when some one mentions the name Sony are people really going to immediatly think of the 2 days the PSN didnt work.

meppi

protonion said:
The eu blog has the green on button.
I cannot sign in but it's downloading the Virtua Tennis 4 demo I had started.
It went green and red all night yesterday, but the actual network never came back online.

alstein

Rhazer Fusion said:
..and this is why digital distribution should never become mandatory. No Arcana Heart 3 for me until who knows when......

It's not the DD, but requiring 3rd-party programs to run.

Without DD, AH3 would never see the light of day in the US period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom